Do we still need religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

Could you show me where exactly I said one thing and then try to argue something else entirely? My very first post in this thread was simply me stating my opinion on the question posed by this thread. Throughout this conversation I have been doing nothing but trying to argue along the lines of my original post, and in response you've been doing nothing but trying to avoid that same argument. 

-Sun_Tzu-

I told you I won't speak for others. You want to know if they need religion then ask THEM. I said I don't believe because I NEED to believe. It's really that simple. To which you said that was a cop out. When I answered your question twice now.

And I will continue to call it a cop out, because not only have you refused to answer that specific question because you "won't speak for others", but you haven't told me A) why you would follow your own faith if not because you feel a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

These are questions that you can answer for yourself. 

You are a damn liar. You asked why people need religion. I said I can't speak for people. Which is correct. You asked me specifically why I need to believe...and I've told you THREE times now I do not believe due to need. If that is too hard of a concept for your mind to grasp then just admit that.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="pie-junior"] I think, if you're not inclined to believe the occurences of those miracles- the simple solution would be to take the jewish bible as a fictitious text for a primitive set of beliefs, instead of stretching the meaning of the text to unbelieveable lengths.

mhm
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I was referring to the guy you linked. He started out objectively then turned to commentary supporting his faith. -Sun_Tzu-

His "commentary" is the same thing I found countless other times when I googled that interpretation of yours. Apparently there is NOT a big consensus that Sea of Reeds is correct. In fact...I didn't really find anything that emphatically said it wasn't the Red Sea. Maybe your bias is making you ignore counter evidence?

When you start an article admitting the literal translation is Sea of Reeds then conclude the original story of the Red Sea is completely true....the wires between objective and subjective got mixed somewhere.

And try looking at a map of the Exodus and ask yourself what actually makes sense.

I gave you a link....where are your links? Everything I've read on this subject since you're brought up allows for the Red Sea to be the correct interpretation. I have seen nothing that proves otherwise. You're up....
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.KC_Hokie
Look dude....you erroneously implied that it's accepted that it was Sea of Reeds rather than Red Sea...and I can't find anything that backs that up.

It's widely accepted among educated, biblical scholars and historians who understand the countless mistranslations and hyperbole of the bible.

I think its widely accepted by historians and biblical scholars that the bible is a historioshopical text, that is widely inaccurate in some aspects. unlike you initial suggestions, that's something a practicing jew can't do.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I told you I won't speak for others. You want to know if they need religion then ask THEM. I said I don't believe because I NEED to believe. It's really that simple. To which you said that was a cop out. When I answered your question twice now.

LJS9502_basic

And I will continue to call it a cop out, because not only have you refused to answer that specific question because you "won't speak for others", but you haven't told me A) why you would follow your own faith if not because you feel a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

You are a damn liar. You asked why people need religion. I said I can't speak for people. Which is correct. You asked me specifically why I need to believe...and I've told you THREE times now I do not believe due to need. If that is too hard of a concept for your mind to grasp then just admit that.

There is no need to continue repeating that you don't believe due to need. As you just said you've made that point perfectly clear. Which brings us to questions A) why you would follow your own faith if without feeling a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] Are you saying the text did not mean to convey that a divine act of the parting of water happened?pie-junior
Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.

That's a bit of a stretch ainit? You're suggesting every one of the hundreds of miracles that appears in the bible is not meant to be taken literally- but is a metaphor or hyperbole for something else. most of them, I assume, you would find very difficult explaining with a case of simple mistranslation. I think, if you're not inclined to believe the occurences of those miracles- the simple solution would be to take the jewish bible as a fictitious text for a primitive set of beliefs, instead of stretching the meaning of the text to unbelieveable lengths.

The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians couldn't cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Look dude....you erroneously implied that it's accepted that it was Sea of Reeds rather than Red Sea...and I can't find anything that backs that up.

It's widely accepted among educated, biblical scholars and historians who understand the countless mistranslations and hyperbole of the bible.

I think its widely accepted by historians and biblical scholars that the bible is a historioshopical text, that is widely inaccurate in some aspects. unlike you initial suggestions, that's something a practicing jew can't do.

Plenty of practicing Jews understand the stories of the old testament, such as Noah's Arc and the parting of the Red Sea, never happened. How that affects their faith is their personal dilemma.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.KC_Hokie
That's a bit of a stretch ainit? You're suggesting every one of the hundreds of miracles that appears in the bible is not meant to be taken literally- but is a metaphor or hyperbole for something else. most of them, I assume, you would find very difficult explaining with a case of simple mistranslation. I think, if you're not inclined to believe the occurences of those miracles- the simple solution would be to take the jewish bible as a fictitious text for a primitive set of beliefs, instead of stretching the meaning of the text to unbelieveable lengths.

The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians could cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention.

What's the perfectly logical explanation for moses doing snake poke-battles with egyptian wizards to show off his godly-inspired powers?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] And I will continue to call it a cop out, because not only have you refused to answer that specific question because you "won't speak for others", but you haven't told me A) why you would follow your own faith if not because you feel a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

-Sun_Tzu-

There is no need to continue repeating that you don't believe due to need. As you just said you've made that point perfectly clear. Which brings us to questions A) why you would follow your own faith if without feeling a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

Is it faith if one needs it?  I never made any statement that anyone believes due to need...you did.  I refuse to answer why others believe.  i am not them....

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.KC_Hokie

The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians could cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention.

FYI there is no historical evidence of a Jewish exodus or the existence of Jewish slavery in Egypt.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] That's a bit of a stretch ainit? You're suggesting every one of the hundreds of miracles that appears in the bible is not meant to be taken literally- but is a metaphor or hyperbole for something else. most of them, I assume, you would find very difficult explaining with a case of simple mistranslation. I think, if you're not inclined to believe the occurences of those miracles- the simple solution would be to take the jewish bible as a fictitious text for a primitive set of beliefs, instead of stretching the meaning of the text to unbelieveable lengths.pie-junior

What's the perfectly logical explanation for moses doing snake poke-battles with egyptian wizards to show off his godly-inspired powers?

If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You are a damn liar. You asked why people need religion. I said I can't speak for people. Which is correct. You asked me specifically why I need to believe...and I've told you THREE times now I do not believe due to need. If that is too hard of a concept for your mind to grasp then just admit that.LJS9502_basic

Is it faith if one needs it?

Just answer the questions.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] That's a bit of a stretch ainit? You're suggesting every one of the hundreds of miracles that appears in the bible is not meant to be taken literally- but is a metaphor or hyperbole for something else. most of them, I assume, you would find very difficult explaining with a case of simple mistranslation. I think, if you're not inclined to believe the occurences of those miracles- the simple solution would be to take the jewish bible as a fictitious text for a primitive set of beliefs, instead of stretching the meaning of the text to unbelieveable lengths.

FYI there is no historical evidence of a Jewish exodus or the existence of Jewish slavery in Egypt.

Yes there is. They've found evidence of the Jewish exodus and the army that followed them. Archeological evidence.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] It's widely accepted among educated, biblical scholars and historians who understand the countless mistranslations and hyperbole of the bible.

Plenty of practicing Jews understand the stories of the old testament, such as Noah's Arc and the parting of the Red Sea, never happened. How that affects their faith is their personal dilemma.

Interesting because archeologists do say a flood happened in that region of the world roughly that time period.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians could cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention. KC_Hokie

Yes there is. They've found evidence of the Jewish exodus and the army that followed them. Archeological evidence.

Show me it then.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] There is no need to continue repeating that you don't believe due to need. As you just said you've made that point perfectly clear. Which brings us to questions A) why you would follow your own faith if without feeling a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

Is it faith if one needs it?

What question? Your refusal to accept that I don't believe due to need? You're woefully inadequate in understanding this subject.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 pie-junior
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians could cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention. KC_Hokie

If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland.

So that could never have happened but some sort of water crossing must have. why
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Is it faith if one needs it?LJS9502_basic

What question? Your refusal to accept that I don't believe due to need? You're woefully inadequate in understanding this subject.

A) why you would follow your own faith if without feeling a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

Just to clarify, cryptic rhetorical questions will not suffice as answers 

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]

pie-junior

So that could never have happened but some sort of water crossing must have. why

They crossed marshy land of not more than few miles on foot that chariots couldn't. That's perfectly plausible.

Crossing the Red Sea (50-100 miles across) with a hookup of Moses' magic water staff....zero.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland. KC_Hokie

They crossed marshy land of not more than few miles on foot that chariots couldn't. That's perfectly plausible.

Crossing the Red Sea (50-100 miles across) with a hookup of Moses' magic water staff....zero.

The question I asked pertained to the difference between examples. Why did one must have happened (or the text did not mean for it to be perceived as super-natural), while the other did not?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Just answer the questions. -Sun_Tzu-

A) why you would follow your own faith if without feeling a need for religion in your life and B) if you don't follow a faith because of need then why do you assume that anyone else does

I've told you five times now one does not and I don't believe due to "need". I believe because I believe. Period. It's that simple. I chose to follow my religion because it made the most sense to me. You can continue this idiotic refusal to accept the answer but it isn't going to change. Maybe the real question lies within your own decision. And for the second time I assume nothing when it comes to other people and their reasons. YOU keep inferring that. You are the most dishonest user I've ever encountered here. YOU make a statement and then attribute it to others. Show me where I said anyone believes due to need. Put up or shut up.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Generally there seem to be a correlation between obnoxiousness and 'active' atheists though. Both on the internet and IRL.

br0kenrabbit

Athiest don't try to beat my door down or accost me outside the grocery store with their pamphlets.

Beat your door down? Rofl? All they basically want is for you to take a brochure..learn manners.Talk about the stereotypical old angry man...maybe you're just not a friendly/social person.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#323 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The stories in the bible have good lessons and everything and some happened. However, stories like Moses parting the Red Sea are pure hyperbole. The Jews crossed marshy land that Egyptians could cross. Their chariots got stuck, including horses and men and some drowned. Perfectly logical explanation with no divine intervention. KC_Hokie

Snake Charmers have been around forever, you can look up on youtube people charming snakes. Back then though it would have looked like magic. Of all the crazy Moses stories, the snake charming battle is by far the most believable.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"] So that could never have happened but some sort of water crossing must have. whypie-junior

The question I asked pertained to the difference between examples. Why did one must have happened (or the text did not mean for it to be perceived as super-natural), while the other did not?

With a direct translation a Reed Sea crossing is perfectly plausible.

The divine intervention story involving a mistranslation of Red Sea.

It's based on reason and realistic world involving no magic or divine intervention.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 KC_Hokie

Nuck81

Snake Charmers have been around forever, you can look up on youtube people charming snakes. Back then though it would have looked like magic. Of all the crazy Moses stories, the snake charming battle is by far the most believable.

Exactly...you took something 'magical' and explained RATIONALLY why they misinterpreted the event. Happened all the time in the bible and human history.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They crossed marshy land of not more than few miles on foot that chariots couldn't. That's perfectly plausible.

KC_Hokie

It's based on reason and realistic world involving no magic or divine intervention.

Only the text explicitly says (no matter the geographic location of the sea of reeds) that god made the sea part.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]They crossed marshy land of not more than few miles on foot that chariots couldn't. That's perfectly plausible.

KC_Hokie

KC...still waiting on your proof.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 pie-junior

Nuck81

If i'll rewind you to the start of the story- moses materialized a snake out of a stick of wood
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"] The question I asked pertained to the difference between examples. Why did one must have happened (or the text did not mean for it to be perceived as super-natural), while the other did not?pie-junior

Only the text explicitly says (no matter the geographic location of the sea of reeds) that god made the sea part.

Ok neat but the exodus would not have been possible in the Red Sea, due to it's length of 50-100 miles, without divine intervention.

Crossing the REED SEA wouldn't have needed divine intervention. Regardless of which the guys who wrote the bible said. They turned plenty of rational events into divine interventions. It's called hyperbole and religious writers of all faiths did that.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 pie-junior
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland. KC_Hokie

Exactly...you took something 'magical' and explained RATIONALLY why they misinterpreted the event. Happened all the time in the bible and human history.

man, it's like you're basing your entire theory of a secular bible on one case of perceived mistranslation w/o delving deeper into any of the other parts.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"] The question I asked pertained to the difference between examples. Why did one must have happened (or the text did not mean for it to be perceived as super-natural), while the other did not?LJS9502_basic

Well, prove any divine intervention from the bible, new or old testament, ever actually happened.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] Snake Charmers have been around forever, you can look up on youtube people charming snakes. Back then though it would have looked like magic. Of all the crazy Moses stories, the snake charming battle is by far the most believable.

man, it's like you're basing your entire theory of a secular bible on one case of perceived mistranslation w/o delving deeper into any of the other parts.

Some the biggest stories on the old testament use divine intervention to sensationalize them. Noah's arc and Moses are two of the biggies.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland. pie-junior

If i'll rewind you to the start of the story- moses materialized a snake out of a stick of wood

You're referring to the same group of people who wrote about the world being created in six days and the world being a giant flood with a guy with a magic boat with all the world's animals.

Called hyperbole.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] What question? Your refusal to accept that I don't believe due to need? You're woefully inadequate in understanding this subject.LJS9502_basic

I've told you five times now one does not and I don't believe due to "need". I believe because I believe. Period. It's that simple. I chose to follow my religion because it made the most sense to me. You can continue this idiotic refusal to accept the answer but it isn't going to change. Maybe the real question lies within your own decision. And for the second time I assume nothing when it comes to other people and their reasons. YOU keep inferring that. You are the most dishonest user I've ever encountered here. YOU make a statement and then attribute it to others. Show me where I said anyone believes due to need. Put up or shut up.

oh-you-930672632351_u18chan.jpeg

"Show me where I said anyone believes due to need"

Some humans do need religion.LJS9502_basic
(emphasis mine)

As for your answers to the questions. You believe because you believe and you choose to follow your religion because it makes the most sense to you... you really can't see where I'm coming from when I call your answers cop outs? Really?  

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] FYI there is no historical evidence of a Jewish exodus or the existence of Jewish slavery in Egypt.

Show me it then.

:(
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]With a direct translation a Reed Sea crossing is perfectly plausible.

KC_Hokie

Ok neat but the exodus would not have been possible in the Red Sea, due to it's length of 50-100 miles, without divine intervention.

Crossing the REED SEA wouldn't have needed divine intervention. Regardless of which the guys who wrote the bible said. They turned plenty of rational events into divine interventions. It's called hyperbole and religious writers of all faiths did that.

we're not arguing whether or not the event happened. we're arguing whether the text meant for the event to be perceived as supernatural.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]With a direct translation a Reed Sea crossing is perfectly plausible.

KC_Hokie

Well, prove any divine intervention from the bible, new or old testament, ever actually happened.

No no no. You made a statement and I want proof of that statement. Don't try to deflect the question.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 pie-junior

[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] Snake Charmers have been around forever, you can look up on youtube people charming snakes. Back then though it would have looked like magic. Of all the crazy Moses stories, the snake charming battle is by far the most believable.KC_Hokie

You're referring to the same group of people who wrote about the world being created in six days and the world being a giant flood with a guy with a magic boat with all the world's animals.

Called hyperbole.

Hyperbole. Noun

1. obviousandintentionalexaggeration.

2. anextravagantstatementorfigureofspeechnotintendedtobetakenliterally,astowaitaneternity.

What you're talking about- is making sh!t up.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 LJS9502_basic

As for your answers to the questions. You believe because you believe and you choose to follow your religion because it makes the most sense to you... you really can't see where I'm coming from when I call your answers cop outs? Really?  

-Sun_Tzu-

I didn't speak for anyone in particular but it would be incredibly stupid to say no one needs religion.  I don't generalize...thus I said some do.  Second..it's not a cop out.  You just have zero experience with faith apparently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland. pie-junior

You can make a snake go stiff by simply making them very cold. It's not beyond doubt that Moses or the "Wizards" kept snakes cold and then as they handled them the heat from Moses or the others made the stiff snake "come alive"
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#341 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

Generally there seem to be a correlation between obnoxiousness and 'active' atheists though. Both on the internet and IRL.

kingkong0124

Athiest don't try to beat my door down or accost me outside the grocery store with their pamphlets.

Beat your door down? Rofl? All they basically want is for you to take a brochure..learn manners.Talk about the stereotypical old angry man...maybe you're just not a friendly/social person.

I mean what I said.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 br0kenrabbit

You can make a snake go stiff by simply making them very cold. It's not beyond doubt that Moses or the "Wizards" kept snakes cold and then as they handled them the heat from Moses or the others made the stiff snake "come alive"Nuck81

How do you cool down a snake in the middle of a desert with no electricity or access to ice?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 -Sun_Tzu-

You just have zero experience with faith apparently.

LJS9502_basic

hmmm

yeah this couldn't be more wrong 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]If you believe that actually happened...I have a great deal for you for some Florida marshland. KC_Hokie

Of course it did. It was written over 2,000 years ago. In 2,000 years I'm sure there are things we believe now that will seem silly and superstitious. That doesn't take away from the meaning or context they had back then.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]You can make a snake go stiff by simply making them very cold. It's not beyond doubt that Moses or the "Wizards" kept snakes cold and then as they handled them the heat from Moses or the others made the stiff snake "come alive"br0kenrabbit

How do you cool down a snake in the middle of a desert with no electricity or access to ice?

Magic....:o
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 br0kenrabbit

Magic....:oLJS9502_basic

Or more likely, slight-of-hand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]You can make a snake go stiff by simply making them very cold. It's not beyond doubt that Moses or the "Wizards" kept snakes cold and then as they handled them the heat from Moses or the others made the stiff snake "come alive"br0kenrabbit

From About.com Tomb paintings depict Egyptian slaves fanning large storage jars made of porous clay. Through evaporation, what remained inside was chilled. Also in Egypt, according to Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, women placed shallow clay trays of water on straw-beds. Evaporation from top and sides combined with the drop in night temperatures froze the water.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] Snake Charmers have been around forever, you can look up on youtube people charming snakes. Back then though it would have looked like magic. Of all the crazy Moses stories, the snake charming battle is by far the most believable.

Of course it did. It was written over 2,000 years ago. In 2,000 years I'm sure there are things we believe now that will seem silly and superstitious. That doesn't take away from the meaning or context they had back then.

Doesn't change the meaning or message of the exodus for religious people. However, crossing the Reed Sea instead of Red Sea changes an event that would have required divine intervention into one that wouldn't have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]You can make a snake go stiff by simply making them very cold. It's not beyond doubt that Moses or the "Wizards" kept snakes cold and then as they handled them the heat from Moses or the others made the stiff snake "come alive"LJS9502_basic

Magic....:o

Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 br0kenrabbit

From About.com Tomb paintings depict Egyptian slaves fanning large storage jars made of porous clay. Through evaporation, what remained inside was chilled. Also in Egypt, according to Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things, women placed shallow clay trays of water on straw-beds. Evaporation from top and sides combined with the drop in night temperatures froze the water. Nuck81

I'm sure Moses had a portable womens. Being an unnannounced and unwanted guest in the area and all.