Do we still need religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

Doesn't change the meaning or message of the exodus for religious people. However, crossing the Reed Sea instead of Red Sea changes an event that would have required divine intervention into one that wouldn't have. KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="pie-junior"] Are you saying the text did not mean to convey that a divine act of the parting of water happened?KC_Hokie
Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.

which is it

#352 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.Nuck81

I mean at that moment, before the Pharaoh. I'm sure he wasn't all "Hold on, gotta step right behind this here curtain for a moment..."

#353 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] Are you saying the text did not mean to convey that a divine act of the parting of water happened?pie-junior

Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.

which is it

Which is what? What I said doesn't conflict.
#354 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

How do you cool down a snake in the middle of a desert with no electricity or access to ice?

Nuck81
Magic....:o

Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.

I can find no verification of that on the internet. I did find a site calling it a myth.
#355 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Exactly...you took something 'magical' and explained RATIONALLY why they misinterpreted the event. Happened all the time in the bible and human history.KC_Hokie
Of course it did. It was written over 2,000 years ago. In 2,000 years I'm sure there are things we believe now that will seem silly and superstitious. That doesn't take away from the meaning or context they had back then.

Doesn't change the meaning or message of the exodus for religious people.

Yes that is my point.

However, crossing the Reed Sea instead of Red Sea changes an event that would have required divine intervention into one that wouldn't have.

Ever played the telephone game? Things get mistranslated and mistaken all the time. Some people now a days still think Thunder is caused by God moving Furniture in Heaven. Context is important. Cvilization has changed, people have changed and their spiritual needs have changed. What was relevant 2,000 years ago simply isn't relevant now.
#356 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.br0kenrabbit

I mean at that moment, before the Pharaoh. I'm sure he wasn't all "Hold on, gotta step right behind this here curtain for a moment..."

HE COULD HAVE HAD A THERMOS
#357 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.br0kenrabbit

Are you that stupid? Have you never heard of Insulation? You don't think that it's possible that charmers could have taken a chilled pot, placed a snake in there to put it to sleep, insulated the pot to keep it cold, to take the snake out later?
#358 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] Of course it did. It was written over 2,000 years ago. In 2,000 years I'm sure there are things we believe now that will seem silly and superstitious. That doesn't take away from the meaning or context they had back then.

Doesn't change the meaning or message of the exodus for religious people.

Yes that is my point.

However, crossing the Reed Sea instead of Red Sea changes an event that would have required divine intervention into one that wouldn't have.

Ever played the telephone game? Things get mistranslated and mistaken all the time. Some people now a days still think Thunder is caused by God moving Furniture in Heaven. Context is important. Cvilization has changed, people have changed and their spiritual needs have changed. What was relevant 2,000 years ago simply isn't relevant now.

Go back to what I first wrote. The mistranslation of Reed Sea turned a perfectly plausible event into one that required divine intervention and superstition. It may not change what religious people believe but that mistranslation added superstition and divine intervention that has been passed down through the generations.
#359 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.Nuck81

Are you that stupid? Have you never heard of Insulation? You don't think that it's possible that charmers could have taken a chilled pot, placed a snake in there to put it to sleep, insulated the pot to keep it cold, to take the snake out later?

lol...I might not always agree with the rabbit but I wouldn't call him stupid...you on the other hand....
#360 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Magic....:o

Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.

I can find no verification of that on the internet. I did find a site calling it a myth.

Jesus, what a dumbass. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_temperatures_drop_below_freezing_in_the_desert
#361 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

LJS9502_basic

lol...I might not always agree with the rabbit but I wouldn't call him stupid...you on the other hand....

Yes, and you are too dumb to understand the basics of a desert ecosystem
#362 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Doesn't change the meaning or message of the exodus for religious people.KC_Hokie
Yes that is my point.

Go back to what I first wrote. The mistranslation of Reed Sea turned a perfectly plausible event into one that required divine intervention and superstition. It may not change what religious people believe but that mistranslation added superstition and divine intervention that has been passed down through the generations.

I don't disagree
#363 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Exactly what I'm saying. Bible is filled with metaphors and hyperbole. It wasn't literal.KC_Hokie

which is it

Are you still saying the writers of the texts did not mean for the event to be super-natural, and that it's all a case of lost in translation?

or

Are you saying that the event could have happened, historically, but there was no divine intervention- despite the text claiming that there was?

#364 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.

Jesus, what a dumbass. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_temperatures_drop_below_freezing_in_the_desert

That does NOT say Ancient Egyptians had ice. I'm not disputing that deserts can drop below freezing...though not all deserts do either.
#365 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Ancient Egyptians had ice. It regularly falls below freezing temperatures at night in the desert.Nuck81

A THERMOS IT IS
#366 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I can find no verification of that on the internet. I did find a site calling it a myth.

That does NOT say Ancient Egyptians had ice. I'm not disputing that deserts can drop below freezing...though not all deserts do either.

You're such a dumbass. Here is a website for kids. Hopefully it won't be too complicated for your pea brain to accept. http://ancienthistory.mrdonn.org/inventions.html
#367 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"]Jesus, what a dumbass. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_temperatures_drop_below_freezing_in_the_desert

You're such a dumbass. Here is a website for kids. Hopefully it won't be too complicated for your pea brain to accept. http://ancienthistory.mrdonn.org/inventions.html

Calling people a dumb ass or stupid does nothing but make you look like a dumb ass and/or stupid dude. Second....I goggled and have not found a site that details ice making in Ancient Egypt. Am waiting for you to come up with a site that does so....properly cited of course.
#368 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

Are you that stupid? Have you never heard of Insulation? You don't think that it's possible that charmers could have taken a chilled pot, placed a snake in there to put it to sleep, insulated the pot to keep it cold, to take the snake out later?Nuck81

It was his STAFF. His WALKING STAFF. Don't you think the Pharaohs magician would have called shenanigans if Moses produced his WALKING STAFF from a pot?

Context, context, context.

#369 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]

which is it

pie-junior

Are you still saying the writers of the texts did not mean for the event to be super-natural, and that it's all a case of lost in translation?

or

Are you saying that the event could have happened, historically, but there was no divine intervention- despite the text claiming that there was?

The writers, who put divine intervention throughout the bible, certainly intended for the event to seem divine or superstitious.

The point is a crossing at the Reed Sea would have been plausible without any divine intervention. And a swamp certainly would have crippled an army of chariots.

A tiny mistranslation of Reed Sea turned a perfectly plausible event into one that required divine intervention and superstition.

#370 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

No world peace with religion.

#371 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

pie-junior

A THERMOS IT IS

A thermos powered by magic apparently. Science is a lie
#372 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Which is what? What I said doesn't conflict. KC_Hokie

or

The writers, who put divine intervention throughout the bible, certainly intended for the event to seem divine or superstitious.

The point is a crossing at the Reed Sea would have been plausible without any divine intervention. And a swamp certainly would have crippled an army of chariots.

A tiny mistranslation of Reed Sea turned a perfectly plausible event into one that required divine intervention and superstition.

Still waiting on your evidence of Reed Sea....
#373 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Are you that stupid? Have you never heard of Insulation? You don't think that it's possible that charmers could have taken a chilled pot, placed a snake in there to put it to sleep, insulated the pot to keep it cold, to take the snake out later?br0kenrabbit

It was his STAFF. His WALKING STAFF. Don't you think the Pharaohs magician would have called shenanigans if Moses produced his WALKING STAFF from a pot?

Context, context, context.

DID YOU SEE THIS? That dude made something disappear and reappear. He must be a PROPHET!!!
#374 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

or

LJS9502_basic

Look at the original Hebrew word used in the old testament. Translates directly to Sea of Reeds.
#375 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="pie-junior"] Are you saying the text did not mean to convey that a divine act of the parting of water happened?KC_Hokie

Then was it your intention to drag me on in a fruitless discussion for what seems like eons, by ignoring your point throughout the exchange periodically?

#376 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]The writers, who put divine intervention throughout the bible, certainly intended for the event to seem divine or superstitious.

KC_Hokie

Look at the original Hebrew word used in the old testament. Translates directly to Sea of Reeds.

Not necessarily true. You have to read more than just the word.....you really should do some study on this since everything I looked at....and it wasn't an in depth study dispute what you say.
#377 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] Are you saying the text did not mean to convey that a divine act of the parting of water happened?pie-junior

Then was it your intention to drag me on in a fruitless discussion for what seems like eons, by ignoring your point throughout the exchange periodically?

I was just pointing out a tiny mistranslation turned a plausible event into one that required divine intervention.

That's significant for those who don't believe in an active God who intervenes. It changes the type of God for that story.

#378 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That does NOT say Ancient Egyptians had ice. I'm not disputing that deserts can drop below freezing...though not all deserts do either.

Calling people a dumb ass or stupid does nothing but make you look like a dumb ass and/or stupid dude. Second....I goggled and have not found a site that details ice making in Ancient Egypt. Am waiting for you to come up with a site that does so....properly cited of course.

You goggled what dumbass? How do you goggle something? That kid website explained how they did it, but I guess something made for 1st graders is still to complicated for you to understand.
#379 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Still waiting on your evidence of Reed Sea....

Not necessarily true. You have to read more than just the word.....you really should do some study on this since everything I looked at....and it wasn't an in depth study dispute what you say.

You can go back to that guy's commentary if you want. The simple fact is the DIRECT translation is Sea of Reeds not Red Sea. And just that possibility seems to bother you.
#380 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nuck81"]You're such a dumbass. Here is a website for kids. Hopefully it won't be too complicated for your pea brain to accept. http://ancienthistory.mrdonn.org/inventions.html

You goggled what dumbass? How do you goggle something? That kid website explained how they did it, but I guess something made for 1st graders is still to complicated for you to understand.

So you can't give me a good link about Ancient Egyptians and ice. Okay then....moving on...
#381 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

DID YOU SEE THIS? That dude made something disappear and reappear. He must be a PROPHET!!!Nuck81

DID YOU SEE THIS?

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Magic....:obr0kenrabbit

Or more likely, slight-of-hand.

One page ago.

#382 Posted by themajormayor (25698 posts) -

zombehhhhh
Or without it
#383 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

DID YOU SEE THIS?

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Magic....:obr0kenrabbit

Or more likely, slight-of-hand.

One page ago.

Then why in Jeebus name are you arguing?
#384 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150323 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Look at the original Hebrew word used in the old testament. Translates directly to Sea of Reeds. KC_Hokie

You can go back to that guy's commentary if you want. The simple fact is the DIRECT translation is Sea of Reeds not Red Sea. And just that possibility seems to bother you.

It doesn't bother me....no. But I did check out some sites after your statements and it seems you have to have a better understanding of Hebrew, the Bible, the Jewish people etc in order to get to the gist of that usage. You seem to have stumbled on a site that disparages the Jewish belief system using only the two words and have done no further analysis of that use and how it relates. Which means you have half the story. But frequently it's best to have all the story....no?
#385 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

I was just pointing out a tiny mistranslation turned a plausible event into one that required divine intervention.

That's significant for those who don't believe in an active God who intervenes. It changes the type of God for that story.

KC_Hokie

This happened to me professionally, and i would cry estoppel in a heartbeat

imma do it anyway

estoppel

there

#386 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Calling people a dumb ass or stupid does nothing but make you look like a dumb ass and/or stupid dude. Second....I goggled and have not found a site that details ice making in Ancient Egypt. Am waiting for you to come up with a site that does so....properly cited of course.LJS9502_basic

So you can't give me a good link about Ancient Egyptians and ice. Okay then....moving on...

Well I doubt there is a Ken Burns Documentary on how the Ancient Egyptians made Ice, since it's pretty common knowledge one learns in 1st grade. But maybe if you keep goggling you'll come up with something. To help the Dumbass
#387 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Not necessarily true. You have to read more than just the word.....you really should do some study on this since everything I looked at....and it wasn't an in depth study dispute what you say.

It doesn't bother me....no. But I did check out some sites after your statements and it seems you have to have a better understanding of Hebrew, the Bible, the Jewish people etc in order to get to the gist of that usage. You seem to have stumbled on a site that disparages the Jewish belief system using only the two words and have done no further analysis of that use and how it relates. Which means you have half the story. But frequently it's best to have all the story....no?

You can believe in the story of the Exodus without believing God directly hooked Moses up. Moses knew the area and strategically out maneuvered the Egyptians.
#388 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
Now I want nuck to explain more providence with a thermos (tm- actually it isn't, but you get the point)
#389 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
Now I want nuck to explain more providence with a thermos (tm- actually it isn't, but you get the point)pie-junior
You mean Ancient Egyptian Thermos? Like This?
#390 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12824 posts) -

Then why in Jeebus name are you arguing?Nuck81

Because I don't think a 'cold snake' is the answer. It doesn't have to be that complicated.

#391 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Then why in Jeebus name are you arguing?br0kenrabbit

Because I don't think a 'cold snake' is the answer. It doesn't have to be that complicated.

I don't disagree with that, was just providing a possible explanation other than "magic"
#392 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Then why in Jeebus name are you arguing?Nuck81

I don't disagree with that, was just providing a possible explanation other than "magic"

Gotta be the magic..bible tells me so. lol!
#393 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]Now I want nuck to explain more providence with a thermos (tm- actually it isn't, but you get the point)Nuck81

Boy, imma tell ya They don't make craftsmanship like that anymore. My thermos can't hold ice in it w/o melting for more than, what seems like, a moment. seriously, though, that seems like a silly explanation, don't you think? It may be plausible (idk) to an extent- but it seems much more plausible that it was made up.
#394 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7954 posts) -
[QUOTE="zombehhhhh"]

themajormayor
Or without it

That's true. We're too selfish and profit driven for peace to occur.
#395 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -

KC_Hokie

I'm sure it went down just like this But in King James English, since the King James Bible is the only real Bible.
#396 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] I don't disagree with that, was just providing a possible explanation other than "magic"

I'm sure it went down just like this But in King James English, since the King James Bible is the only real Bible.

Charleston Heston can't tell a lie.
#397 Posted by Nuck81 (5835 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]Now I want nuck to explain more providence with a thermos (tm- actually it isn't, but you get the point)pie-junior

Boy, imma tell ya They don't make craftsmanship like that anymore. My thermos can't hold ice in it w/o melting for more than, what seems like, a moment. seriously, though, that seems like a silly explanation, don't you think? It may be plausible (idk) to an extent- but it seems much more plausible that it was made up.

Really? A Styrofoam cup from McDonalds keeps ice in my car for a few hours. You must have crappy thermos. Chances are it's just story, but if it's an explanation of an actual event then there are tons of ways the original authors could have been fooled into thinking something was an "Act of God"
#398 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] I don't disagree with that, was just providing a possible explanation other than "magic"

I love the way the pharoh was like 40 and his son was 10. The pharoh at that time was in his 80s and his son was in his 40s. They've found the tombs for both recently.
#399 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

Really? A Styrofoam cup from McDonalds keeps ice in my car for a few hours. You must have crappy thermos. Nuck81

I only ever used my thermos in the middle-east (relevant) and Greece/turkey. place is hot. also- a moment is a subjective concept, I never actually timed it.

#400 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

I went looking for my thermos because of this. will post results. (OT at the cutting edge of scientific research once again)