Did Jesus Christ exist?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MyNameisaMeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MyNameisaMeme
Member since 2009 • 661 Posts

There is big debate around this. Much bigger than I thought. I thought that most people, even atheists, had accepted that Jesus Christ was a real person. I'm an atheist, but I don't think Jesus is a myth. Yet it seems there are many that do.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcno.htm

I've been reading a bit about the debate, but there is just so much information, so I wanted to know what you guys thought.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
Yes he existed amen.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

I'm sure he existed, but if he was the messiah and performed miracles in the ways that we interpert them, I dunno about that.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
I believe he was made up by the egg and food coloring manufacturers.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

It seems likely, but quite frankly I also think in the end his actual existence doesn't change that much in terms of this life. If the existence or non-existence of Jesus as the Son of God would cause someone to alter the way in which they live life, then quite frankly I would assert that they're not living life in the best way possible. ;)

Avatar image for ConformestClone
ConformestClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConformestClone
Member since 2004 • 13103 Posts
They've proven his existence, but not that he's even done any magical events.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I see no reason to think that he did not exist. However, there are many reasons to think he is not necessarily divine (although that doesn't reduce the importance of his life and deeds in my mind).

MyNameisaMeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MyNameisaMeme

It seems likely, but quite frankly I also think in the end his actual existence doesn't change that much. If the existence or non-existence of Jesus as the Son of God would cause someone to alter the way in which they live life, then quite frankly I would assert that they're not living life in the best way possible. ;)

GabuEx

Oh no doubt. I totally agree. But there still is a huge debate around it. Whether or not he exists isn't going to change my beliefs any.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I just totally voted no by accident... :oops:

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

It seems likely, but quite frankly I also think in the end his actual existence doesn't change that much. If the existence or non-existence of Jesus as the Son of God would cause someone to alter the way in which they live life, then quite frankly I would assert that they're not living life in the best way possible. ;)

MyNameisaMeme

Oh no doubt. I totally agree. But there still is a huge debate around it. Whether or not he exists isn't going to change my beliefs any.

I was unaware of this debate. I'm not too surprised though, really. After all, some people still don't believe in the Holocaust.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
He probably exists. Although I'm skeptical of these eyewitness accounts of walking on water.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
I'm sure once upon a time somebody was born and was named Jesus Christ.
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
Yes. Historians note the phrase "Jesus Saves" is traced back to his time as goalkeeper for Galilee Killer Bees football club.
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak
MyNameisaMeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MyNameisaMeme

Yes. Historians note the phrase "Jesus Saves" is traced back to his time as goalkeeper for Galilee Killer Bees football club.D3nnyCrane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE :D

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I don't really have any reason to doubt that Jesus existed. It's the whole "son of God" part that I'm extremely dubious about :P.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

It seems likely, but quite frankly I also think in the end his actual existence doesn't change that much in terms of this life. If the existence or non-existence of Jesus as the Son of God would cause someone to alter the way in which they live life, then quite frankly I would assert that they're not living life in the best way possible. ;)

GabuEx

Not really. There were things he changed. Many people name their children after his disciples' names, like John and Peter. Then, we have the fact that we use the terms BC and AD, which are connected with Jesus's death and birth. Isn't that true?

And, you assume that if people learn that Jesus was God, that they didn't live life the best way? I'd say they found what they wanted, and personally, that it was good.

RedDraco66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RedDraco66
Member since 2005 • 1682 Posts

Yes. Historians note the phrase "Jesus Saves" is traced back to his time as runningback for Galilee Killer Bees football club.D3nnyCrane

Touchdown

Touchdown Jesus!

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

he could have and he couldn't have it's just a person who cares...i sure don't waste time thinking about something a long a$$ time ago live for the future or be buried in the past that's how i think

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak

Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there.
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D3nnyCrane

[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]Yes. Historians note the phrase "Jesus Saves" is traced back to his time as runningback for Galilee Killer Bees football club.RedDraco66

Touchdown

Touchdown Jesus!

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I believe he did but I can understand why people think he didn't. Oh and sausage.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weakhydralisk86
Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there.

True, but so is atheism. Atheists are also willing to admit that there is a lot they don't understand about the universe, which is why they don't make unconfirmed existential claims.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hydralisk86
They've proven his existence, but not that he's even done any magical events.ConformestClone
I dunno man. The Jewish authorities, his enemies, admit he did miracles. However, they say it wasn't through his power as the Son of God, but as sorceries, the work of the devil. No offense or anything, but people on these forums make assumptions on things they didn't research, and the ones who did, don't say much about it, and the argument is kinda dead.
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Serial-No_3404
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak

those that believe are just willing to remain blind to the truth
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weakBlueBirdTS

True, but so is atheism. Atheists are also willing to admit that there is a lot they don't understand about the universe, which is why they don't make unconfirmed existential claims.

Yes, but some people outright say that there is no god. and they assume they have all the answers. isn't it true that science still has tons of questions?
RedDraco66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RedDraco66
Member since 2005 • 1682 Posts

[QUOTE="RedDraco66"]

[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]Yes. Historians note the phrase "Jesus Saves" is traced back to his time as runningback for Galilee Killer Bees football club.D3nnyCrane

Touchdown

Touchdown Jesus!

I love the way his shirt is neatly bunched up into his sweatpants.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak

And those who don't believe may be equally at fault, because they might assume one thing and deny another.
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Serial-No_3404
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there. hydralisk86

Yes, but some people outright say that there is no god. and they assume they have all the answers. isn't it true that science still has tons of questions?

yes science has tons of questions...but they remain as that...religion claims to have the answers when in fact they are nothing more than conjectures at best
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D3nnyCrane
[QUOTE="RedDraco66"]

[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"][QUOTE="RedDraco66"]

Touchdown

Touchdown Jesus!

I love the way his shirt is neatly bunched up into his sweatpants.

The club has used his image in advertising for thousands of years. He needs an immaculate uniform.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak

And those who believe may include intellectuals who have done the research and found what they are looking for. Those who assume, and I say ASSUME, may be equally at fault.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there. hydralisk86

why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless?
clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
It;s pretty obvious that he did. But weather or not he was indeed the son of god is debatable
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there. hydralisk86

And those who don't believe may be equally at fault, because they might assume one thing and deny another.

There is gnostic-atheism (what you're referring to) and agnostic-atheism. I fall into the latter category because, as you rightly state, I have no way of really knowing.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Of course He did!

tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
Yeah, he existed. The real contreversey is whether he was the Son of God or not. Which he was and is. Amen
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Serial-No_3404
[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Religion is for the humble, the ones who understand that life isn't everything that you can see with your eyes. Religion is for those who are willing to admit that there could be more out there. hydralisk86

And those who believe may include intellectuals who have done the research and found what they are looking for. Those who assume, and I say ASSUME, may be equally at fault.

assumptions from science move towards being solidified to proven wrong...religion doesnt have that...religious assumptions are right and if its contested those that contest are killed or punished
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

Serial-No_3404

yes science has tons of questions...but they remain as that...religion claims to have the answers when in fact they are nothing more than conjectures at best

Conjectures? Are you sure about that? Have you done research and seen that EVERY claim was just a conjecture? Or are you just echoing what other people say, without really looking at the claims in religious scripture?

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 D3nnyCrane

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless?

By that logic, it's pointless to work, save money, attend university and attempt self-improvement in the hope it will provide a better future, a future which is not guaranteed at all.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Yes - not as the son of God though.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

hydralisk86

Not really. There were things he changed. Many people name their children after his disciples' names, like John and Peter. Then, we have the fact that we use the terms BC and AD, which are connected with Jesus's death and birth. Isn't that true?

And, you assume that if people learn that Jesus was God, that they didn't live life the best way? I'd say they found what they wanted, and personally, that it was good.

What I'm saying is that the ultimate answer to the question of whether or not Jesus actually was the son of God as presented in the Bible should not cause anyone who is living their life right to change their actions in life, and as such, is really immaterial in any terms other than that of a simple question of curiosity. I have found that the instructions that Jesus gives us in the Bible, if followed properly and for the right reasons, bring the most amount of happiness in this life - regardless of whether or not Jesus truly was the son of God.

One ought to follow Jesus' instructions not out of a fear of hell, or because God said so, but rather because he or she recognizes and fully appreciates the immense value and benefit both to his or her own life and to the lives of others in doing so.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hydralisk86

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Do you know what you're talking about? Have you heard of what religious people experience? If you went to some churches, you might find people going crazy with these fantastic acts, like being healed, casting out demons, etc. I think I remember other religions having their own stuff that goes on. Have you heard of how people "hear" God's voice?

Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serial-No_3404

[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Yes, but some people outright say that there is no god. and they assume they have all the answers. isn't it true that science still has tons of questions?hydralisk86

Conjectures? Are you sure about that? Have you done research and seen that EVERY claim was just a conjecture? Or are you just echoing what other people say, without really looking at the claims in religious scripture?

look at the basis of religion...look at their beliefs...look at their teachings...none give the solid answers that science does...religion is for those that want answers to what cannot be explained...the thought that theres something larger out there watching over...
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"] why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless? XD4NTESINF3RNOX

By that logic, it's pointless to work, save money, attend university and attempt self-improvement in the hope it will provide a better future, a future which is not guaranteed at all.

i do all those things and how does religion provide a better future?

Some religions claim that life has a purpose, that we are here for a reason, that there is life beyond death, and that there is a god/gods watching over us, who loves us, and values us. I say those are concepts that are very appealing, if true.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Yes, but some people outright say that there is no god. and they assume they have all the answers. isn't it true that science still has tons of questions?hydralisk86

Do you know what you're talking about? Have you heard of what religious people experience? If you went to some churches, you might find people going crazy with these fantastic acts, like being healed, casting out demons, etc. I think I remember other religions having their own stuff that goes on. Have you heard of how people "hear" God's voice?

yeah i do i was Catholic and I went to a Catholic middle school so yes i do know what your talking about
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 D3nnyCrane
[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]

why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless? XD4NTESINF3RNOX

i do all those things and how does religion provide a better future?

I never said it provided a better future. I merely argued that the future is, as you say, unable to be sensed or given any guarantees toward, and yet people base their here and now on the hope of what they anticipate is to come, just as religion does. So to call people ridiculous on the basis of something they cannot experience has wider reaching implications than simply religion.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes science has tons of questions...but they remain as that...religion claims to have the answers when in fact they are nothing more than conjectures at bestSerial-No_3404

look at the basis of religion...look at their beliefs...look at their teachings...none give the solid answers that science does...religion is for those that want answers to what cannot be explained...the thought that theres something larger out there watching over...

Yeah, but even science has been wrong, am i right? And science can't explain what happens after death, what really (and I mean 100% explain) made the world. Science has its questions also.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Yes, but some people outright say that there is no god. and they assume they have all the answers. isn't it true that science still has tons of questions?hydralisk86

I used to "hear" God for many years when I was younger. I prayed multiple times a day and had personal conversations with him. Then I realized I was just communicating with myself, which is still useful, but there's nothing particularly special about it.

Mr_Oblivio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mr_Oblivio
Member since 2007 • 898 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes science has tons of questions...but they remain as that...religion claims to have the answers when in fact they are nothing more than conjectures at bestSerial-No_3404

That thought just creeps me out, man. Stalk much?