Did Jesus Christ exist?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"] By that logic, it's pointless to work, save money, attend university and attempt self-improvement in the hope it will provide a better future, a future which is not guaranteed at all.

D3nnyCrane

i do all those things and how does religion provide a better future?

I never said it provided a better future. I merely argued that the future is, as you say, unable to be sensed or given any guarantees toward, and yet people base their here and now on the hope of what they anticipate is to come, just as religion does. So to call people ridiculous on the basis of something they cannot experience has wider reaching implications than simply religion.

i never said anybody was ridiculous :(

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
This debate has to be one of the most violent worldwide in existence (not this one is specific, but in general, like all of them). This is the debate that starts the majority of wars. BUT, I'd like to share my super super crazy theory. God and Jesus exist, but so did the whole scientific creation of the universe. Let me elaborate. The Big Bang Theory was disproved, but now it's something to do with clumping mass and igniting rocks. Well, what if that's how God did it? What if that's how he made the universe, by using something science can explain? Another thing, no matter when we say the Bible was written, we will always have totally 100% blank spots that were undocumented. What if these were the points where God was developing life? What if man was monkey... but God WANTED it that way? What if he evolved monkeys himself. This theory seems far off, but considering all of the other wacky ideas out there, why not?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"] why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless? XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Do you know what you're talking about? Have you heard of what religious people experience? If you went to some churches, you might find people going crazy with these fantastic acts, like being healed, casting out demons, etc. I think I remember other religions having their own stuff that goes on. Have you heard of how people "hear" God's voice?

yeah i do i was Catholic and I went to a Catholic middle school so yes i do know what your talking about

But you talked about thigns that can't be "seen, heard, touched, etc." And yet Christianity claims some experiences that can be "felt." For example, prophecies, healing, etc., and even God's voice. If you knew these things, why did you say those things can't be felt?
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts

[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"][QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"] i do all those things and how does religion provide a better future? XD4NTESINF3RNOX

I never said it provided a better future. I merely argued that the future is, as you say, unable to be sensed or given any guarantees toward, and yet people base their here and now on the hope of what they anticipate is to come, just as religion does. So to call people ridiculous on the basis of something they cannot experience has wider reaching implications than simply religion.

i never said anybody was ridiculous :(

Sorry, my oversight. I'm tired and want a cigarette :P
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"] why do so many people worship what they can't even see, hear, touch, smell etc isn't that kind of pointless? BlueBirdTS

Do you know what you're talking about? Have you heard of what religious people experience? If you went to some churches, you might find people going crazy with these fantastic acts, like being healed, casting out demons, etc. I think I remember other religions having their own stuff that goes on. Have you heard of how people "hear" God's voice?

I used to "hear" God for many years when I was younger. I prayed multiple times a day and had personal conversations with him. Then I realized I was just communicating with myself, which is still useful, but there's nothing particularly special about it.

What you may have described was schizophrenia. Have you been to the doctor?
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

This debate has to be one of the most violent worldwide in existence (not this one is specific, but in general, like all of them). This is the debate that starts the majority of wars. BUT, I'd like to share my super super crazy theory. God and Jesus exist, but so did the whole scientific creation of the universe. Let me elaborate. The Big Bang Theory was disproved, but now it's something to do with clumping mass and igniting rocks. Well, what if that's how God did it? What if that's how he made the universe, by using something science can explain? Another thing, no matter when we say the Bible was written, we will always have totally 100% blank spots that were undocumented. What if these were the points where God was developing life? What if man was monkey... but God WANTED it that way? What if he evolved monkeys himself. This theory seems far off, but considering all of the other wacky ideas out there, why not?Pyro767

This is pantheism I believe, which is essentially tantamount to atheism for all practical purposes.

EDIT: Actually, it sounds a bit more like deism.

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

hydralisk86

I used to "hear" God for many years when I was younger. I prayed multiple times a day and had personal conversations with him. Then I realized I was just communicating with myself, which is still useful, but there's nothing particularly special about it.

:lol: that's funny
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#58 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

This is pantheism I believe, which is essentially tantamount to atheism for all practical purposes.

BlueBirdTS

Not really. Pantheism is the belief that existence and truth is God, such that God exists not as a physical entity but as all that we see, experience, and observe. The idea that God exists as an entity unto himself but acts through natural laws and scientifically observable phenomena is closer to deism.

EDIT: And I just saw that you realized that, so never mind. :P

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

hydralisk86

:lol: Touche. I was like 7, God was my version of an imaginary friend.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I believe he exist. It's the supernatural aspects of his reality that's hard to believe....
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

GabuEx

Not really. Pantheism is the belief that existence and truth is God, such that God exists not as a physical entity but as all that we see, experience, and observe. The idea that God exists as an entity unto himself but acts through natural laws and scientifically observable phenomena is closer to deism.

EDIT: And I just saw that you realized that, so never mind. :P

Yeah, I just noticed this. :)

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

It seems likely, but quite frankly I also think in the end his actual existence doesn't change that much in terms of this life. If the existence or non-existence of Jesus as the Son of God would cause someone to alter the way in which they live life, then quite frankly I would assert that they're not living life in the best way possible. ;)

GabuEx

Not really. There were things he changed. Many people name their children after his disciples' names, like John and Peter. Then, we have the fact that we use the terms BC and AD, which are connected with Jesus's death and birth. Isn't that true?

And, you assume that if people learn that Jesus was God, that they didn't live life the best way? I'd say they found what they wanted, and personally, that it was good.

What I'm saying is that the ultimate answer to the question of whether or not Jesus actually was the son of God as presented in the Bible should not cause anyone who is living their life right to change their actions in life, and as such, is really immaterial in any terms other than that of a simple question of curiosity. I have found that the instructions that Jesus gives us in the Bible, if followed properly and for the right reasons, bring the most amount of happiness in this life - regardless of whether or not Jesus truly was the son of God.

One ought to follow Jesus' instructions not out of a fear of hell, or because God said so, but rather because he or she recognizes and fully appreciates the immense value and benefit both to his or her own life and to the lives of others in doing so.

I'm no pastor, but I have heard that the reason to follow these laws is because we love God. Because he saved us, loved us, so in gratitude and love, we obey them, and also because they are good.
Ulixes_III

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Ulixes_III
Member since 2009 • 290 Posts
I think he really exist but it's really hard to believe that he exist 'cause we only see him on pictures, statues etc.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
wonder where mindstorm is at we need him in here :lol:
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BlueBirdTS

I'm no pastor, but I have heard that the reason to follow these laws is because we love God. Because he saved us, loved us, so in gratitude and love, we obey them, and also because they are good. hydralisk86

Well, I'm glad you have a good reason. Honestly, I don't mind if people are religious since religion does seem to bring about a lot of good.

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]I'm no pastor, but I have heard that the reason to follow these laws is because we love God. Because he saved us, loved us, so in gratitude and love, we obey them, and also because they are good. BlueBirdTS

Well, I'm glad you have a good reason. Honestly, I don't mind if people are religious since religion does seem to bring about a lot of good.

don't forget about the crusades and the "witch burnings" etc so it's not all good
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]This debate has to be one of the most violent worldwide in existence (not this one is specific, but in general, like all of them). This is the debate that starts the majority of wars. BUT, I'd like to share my super super crazy theory. God and Jesus exist, but so did the whole scientific creation of the universe. Let me elaborate. The Big Bang Theory was disproved, but now it's something to do with clumping mass and igniting rocks. Well, what if that's how God did it? What if that's how he made the universe, by using something science can explain? Another thing, no matter when we say the Bible was written, we will always have totally 100% blank spots that were undocumented. What if these were the points where God was developing life? What if man was monkey... but God WANTED it that way? What if he evolved monkeys himself. This theory seems far off, but considering all of the other wacky ideas out there, why not?BlueBirdTS

Ok, I don't get it, explain to me these: 1. What is deism 2. Is it bad?
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]I'm no pastor, but I have heard that the reason to follow these laws is because we love God. Because he saved us, loved us, so in gratitude and love, we obey them, and also because they are good. XD4NTESINF3RNOX

don't forget about the crusades and the "witch burnings" etc so it's not all good

I never said it was all good. You could make the exact same argument for science (atomic bomb, World Wars, etc.). Yet this would be a stupid argument because, at least in my opinion, science has brought about more good than bad just like religion. Neither science nor religion are inherently bad, but both can be exploited for destructive purposes.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#69 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

there is evidence for the existence of a man by that name, so its highly plausible, but,

do i beleive he was the son of god and could perform miracles ? no.

do i believe the bible offers a faithful representation of the man ? no.

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

BlueBirdTS

I never said it was all good. You could make the exact same argument for science (atomic bomb, World Wars, etc.). Yet this would be a stupid argument because, at least in my opinion, science has brought about more good than bad just like religion. Neither science nor religion are inherently bad, but both can be exploited for destructive purposes.

lol you got me there :P
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]This debate has to be one of the most violent worldwide in existence (not this one is specific, but in general, like all of them). This is the debate that starts the majority of wars. BUT, I'd like to share my super super crazy theory. God and Jesus exist, but so did the whole scientific creation of the universe. Let me elaborate. The Big Bang Theory was disproved, but now it's something to do with clumping mass and igniting rocks. Well, what if that's how God did it? What if that's how he made the universe, by using something science can explain? Another thing, no matter when we say the Bible was written, we will always have totally 100% blank spots that were undocumented. What if these were the points where God was developing life? What if man was monkey... but God WANTED it that way? What if he evolved monkeys himself. This theory seems far off, but considering all of the other wacky ideas out there, why not?Pyro767

1. Deism is basically the belief that God is not directly in the control of the world, that he is not an intervening force (thus natural laws are fully compatible).

2. There's nothing wrong with deism.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Pyro767"][QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

BlueBirdTS

1. Deism is basically the belief that God is not directly in the control of the world, that he is not an intervening force (thus natural laws are fully compatible).

Oh... well in that case I must be like... half Deist. I think God intervenes when He wants to or when He needs to. So I must be some blend of half-Luthern, half-Deist. Now I'm confusing myself.... I shouldn't have gotten involved with this thread :s
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GabuEx

Oh... well in that case I must be like... half Deist. I think God intervenes when He wants to or when He needs to. So I must be some blend of half-Luthern, half-Deist. Now I'm confusing myself.... I shouldn't have gotten involved with this thread :sPyro767

If you think that he intervenes whenever he wants or needs to, that would pretty much make you... not a deist. :P

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]Oh... well in that case I must be like... half Deist. I think God intervenes when He wants to or when He needs to. So I must be some blend of half-Luthern, half-Deist. Now I'm confusing myself.... I shouldn't have gotten involved with this thread :sGabuEx

If you think that he intervenes whenever he wants or needs to, that would pretty much make you... not a deist. :P

Well I also think that he let's nature do it's stuff.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="Pyro767"] Ok, I don't get it, explain to me these: 1. What is deism 2. Is it bad?Pyro767

Oh... well in that case I must be like... half Deist. I think God intervenes when He wants to or when He needs to. So I must be some blend of half-Luthern, half-Deist. Now I'm confusing myself.... I shouldn't have gotten involved with this thread :s

wouldn't you think if God intervened he would have "tried"stopped the Holocaust the KKK he would probably help the poor starving children in Africa WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 GabuEx

Well I also think that he let's nature do it's stuff.Pyro767

Aren't those kind of in direct conflict with one another? Intervening whenever he wants or needs to kind of makes it impossible for nature to do its thing.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]Well I also think that he let's nature do it's stuff.GabuEx

Aren't those kind of in direct conflict with one another? Intervening whenever he wants or needs to kind of makes it impossible for nature to do its thing.

I meant sometimes He gives things a push in the right direction.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Probably, was he divine? No real evidence has ever been able to prove it.. And we have a infinite amounts of evidence that people can not walk on water rather than fall in.. That you do not raise from the dead after being brain dead.. That you can't heal with your hands dieases and disorders..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]Well I also think that he let's nature do it's stuff.GabuEx

Not to mention destroys the idea of free will.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Probably, was he divine? No real evidence has ever been able to prove it.. And we have a infinite amounts of evidence that people can not walk on water rather than fall in.. That you do not raise from the dead after being brain dead.. That you can't heal with your hands dieases and disorders.. sSubZerOo
Chris Angel mindfreak can :lol: :P
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#82 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Did Jesus Christ exist? God I hope so.
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Pyro767
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]Well I also think that he let's nature do it's stuff.sSubZerOo

Wait, so now I'm getting bashed? What's going on here, I was just sharing my idea :|
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 BlueBirdTS

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pyro767

Wait, so now I'm getting bashed? What's going on here, I was just sharing my idea :|

Continue to share your thoughts, just be ready for some people to disagree with you.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Pyro767"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Not to mention destroys the idea of free will.BlueBirdTS

Continue to share your thoughts, just be ready for some people to disagree with you.

Well my ideas stand firm, God exists, and he has to help nature sometimes. There, that's my exact idea of the universe.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#86 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

He's lived in people's imaginations. Some would consider that that's enough reason to believe...I sure as hell don't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-59d151f079814

Wait, so now I'm getting bashed? What's going on here, I was just sharing my idea :|Pyro767

Well my ideas stand firm, God exists, and he has to help nature sometimes. There, that's my exact idea of the universe.

Don't you understand that a god that decides whats best for us is a abridgement of our free will as a whole?
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Pyro767

sSubZerOo

Don't you understand that a god that decides whats best for us is a abridgement of our free will as a whole?

Well the government tries to do the same thing but no one complains about them >.>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="Pyro767"] Well my ideas stand firm, God exists, and he has to help nature sometimes. There, that's my exact idea of the universe.Pyro767

Well the government tries to do the same thing but no one complains about them >.>

.... I am not talkinga bout the government.. Most religions claim that god gave man free will.. A god intervening in events through out our life control the outcome of what we are.. Its like a cattle prod to a cow goign down a pre detirmined path that only the prodder knows and thinks best for us.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

There is no way that someone in their right mind could deny that he lived, that is like saying ceaser didn't exist. The debate is over whether he was who he said he was.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Pyro767
[QUOTE="Pyro767"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Don't you understand that a god that decides whats best for us is a abridgement of our free will as a whole? sSubZerOo

.... I am not talkinga bout the government.. Most religions claim that god gave man free will.. A god intervening in events through out our life control the outcome of what we are.. Its like a cattle prod to a cow goign down a pre detirmined path that only the prodder knows and thinks best for us.

Well why didn't you say it like that in the first place? I'll reconsider my theory then. I'll get back to you tomorrow, thank you come again.
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
The person Joseph in the Old Testament was a prototype for the character Jesus Christ. Joseph was a real man, but Jesus was not.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hydralisk86

[QUOTE="Pyro767"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Don't you understand that a god that decides whats best for us is a abridgement of our free will as a whole? sSubZerOo

Or, you could see it as the shepherd who wants to lead the sheep, but sometimes those sheep are too stupid, so he beats those sheep in the back of their butts, to get them moving :D. I guess some might see Jesus and God that way.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 hydralisk86
The person Joseph in the Old Testament was a prototype for the character Jesus Christ. Joseph was a real man, but Jesus was not.MotherSuperior
Yes he was.
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
[QUOTE="MotherSuperior"]The person Joseph in the Old Testament was a prototype for the character Jesus Christ. Joseph was a real man, but Jesus was not.hydralisk86
Yes he was.

Matthew and Luke give us the story of his genealogy. How do they agree? Matthew says there were forty-one generations from Abraham to Jesus. Luke says there were fifty-six. If we cannot rely on the only written "evidence" of Jesus Christ's existence, the Bible, then what?
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#96 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weakSerial-No_3404

Who are you to call me weak, Big and powerful anonymous internet user?

You sure have brass balls behind the veil of secrecy. You've proven your superiority and willingness to overcome any mental obstacle, oh king of men!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#97 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I don't think so. I think he's about as real as Vishnu.
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#98 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts

We have more evidence of Christ than we do of Alexandar the Great or any other known Greek figure. Hell, our evidence of Socrates is limited at best. By the way, I wouldn't be looking for "research" in religious tolerance. The site is incredibly bias against mainstream religions and makes so many numerous assumptions of Christians, Muslims and Hindus without actually supporting such assertions.

Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts

yes he was the son of god. im a christian.these religious discussion threads are getting kinda annoying.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#100 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
[QUOTE="Serial-No_3404"]yes he existed no he was not gods son religion is for the weak

Religion ain't for the weak. It's for those willing to have faith in something greater than themselves, that takes dedication and commitment more than anything.