Chicago: The Deadliest Global City.

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29078 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

I can't say that I've ever felt particularly unsafe walking around Chicago at night.

worlock77

Where were you walking? North side?

Yes, and central. Not bad areas no, but that's not really relevant to the point.

But where you live in the city really changes your perspective on it. When I lived there I never felt particularly unsafe walking around at night, but I can sure as hell tell you that if I walked a few blocks south I would have.
#52 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Where were you walking? North side?chessmaster1989

Yes, and central. Not bad areas no, but that's not really relevant to the point.

But where you live in the city really changes your perspective on it. When I lived there I never felt particularly unsafe walking around at night, but I can sure as hell tell you that if I walked a few blocks south I would have.

Right. But the post I was responding to said "Chicago", with no accounting for specific areas. Thus I responded likewise.

#53 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

So 505 murders last year in a city of 2.7 million. The town in southern Illinois where my parents live has a population of like 6,500 and had 3 murders last year. I wonder what that murder rate would be.

worlock77
That's disproportionate Of course there'd be less murders in your town. There's less people !
#54 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

Chicago never feels safe enough to walk outside alone late at night. gamah_killah

In certain areas. If I'm in like Wicker Park I don't feel in danger at all.

#55 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamah_killah"]Chicago never feels safe enough to walk outside alone late at night. JML897

In certain areas. If I'm in like Wicker Park I don't feel in danger at all.

I had wild misconceptions about L.A before I went there I thought people were getting shot right before people's eyes, getting mugged etc., Well, people don't really get mugged that much...
#56 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

So 505 murders last year in a city of 2.7 million. The town in southern Illinois where my parents live has a population of like 6,500 and had 3 murders last year. I wonder what that murder rate would be.

MetalDogGear

That's disproportionate Of course there'd be less murders in your town. There's less people !

The point -------------

Your head -------------

#57 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

The point -------------

Your head -------------

Are you saying that OP'S statistics are false?
#58 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] That's disproportionate Of course there'd be less murders in your town. There's less people !MetalDogGear

The point -------------

Your head -------------

Are you saying that OP'S statistics are false?

*facepalm*

Seriously dude, I want you go re-read, carefully, what I posted. Then think about it for a moment before commenting further.

#59 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
Its the inner city and most crimes are gang related. Both parties would have guns anyway.
#60 Posted by soulless4now (41360 posts) -

At least LA isn't number 1. Phew!

#61 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -

worlock77

The point -------------

Your head -------------

That's being generous.
#62 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

worlock77
I guess you were just asking a question I don't know what the murder rate would be
#63 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

MetalDogGear

I guess you were just asking a question I don't know what the murder rate would be

No, I wasn't. I was making an implication that you still don't seem to be getting. Also, look at my signature - notice the location I have on it?

#64 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

worlock77

No, I wasn't. I was making an implication that you still don't seem to be getting. Also, look at my signature - notice the location I have on it?

I had to enable it

#65 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

And yet Chicago also has one of the most strictest gun control polices in the country. Guess it hasn't helped them out too well has it?

#66 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

worlock77

I'm sorry. I'm just not getting it I haven't read the thread much or much into this situation and so maybe I've got some holes in my knowledge...
#67 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

I guess my dumb ass self killed this thread.

Sorry ya'll.....

#68 Posted by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -
But, hey, the Pizza is great!
#69 Posted by tocool340 (20469 posts) -
I can understand why, isn't Chicago a big mafia hang-out?Toph_Girl250
Close, more like a crap load of street gangs walk the streets of Chicago and they gives no fvck about casualties when they shoot into crowds of people in an attempt to get their intended target. They are the bulk of Chicago murders and shootings with verbal disputes bringing most of the rest of the killings that happen in Chicago....
#70 Posted by tocool340 (20469 posts) -

And yet Chicago also has one of the most strictest gun control polices in the country. Guess it hasn't helped them out too well has it?

ShadowMoses900
Not when many of said weapons are gained by illegal means....
#71 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

tocool340
Not when many of said weapons are gained by illegal means....

Another notable thing about statistics within a city: You can leave those pretty easily and a gun bought outside that city that isn't illegal suddenly is illegal when brought into the city. As such I think going by statistics by city and then making a claim like gun control doesn't work. Period. Is an odd claim.
#72 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] I guess you were just asking a question I don't know what the murder rate would beMetalDogGear

I'm sorry. I'm just not getting it I haven't read the thread much or much into this situation and so maybe I've got some holes in my knowledge...

This thread is talking about the murder rate in Chicago. Murder rate is number of murders relative to population. Thus comparitavely that small town would have a considerably higher murder rate then Chicago, which is you just read something that just stated the town and the murder rate would sound pretty scary. The point is that just throwing around numbers with no context is meaningless.

#73 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

worlock77

This thread is talking about the murder rate in Chicago. Murder rate is number of murders relative to population. Thus comparitavely that small town would have a considerably higher murder rate then Chicago, which is you just read something that just stated the town and the murder rate would sound pretty scary. The point is that just throwing around numbers with no context is meaningless.

That's what I kinda meant with my "Tc's statistics are meaningless" jab. But thank you for your explanation. I really do appreciate it. A lot of times people won't bother responding to you to help you out.
#74 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] I'm sorry. I'm just not getting it I haven't read the thread much or much into this situation and so maybe I've got some holes in my knowledge...MetalDogGear

That's what I kinda meant with my "Tc's statistics are meaningless" jab. But thank you for your explanation. I really do appreciate it. A lot of times people won't bother responding to you to help you out.

Looking back, I actually said his stats were "False" Oh Man. That's my bad, sorry.
#75 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
Singapore > America
#76 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

Singapore > AmericaLonelynight

Singapore > pretty much everyone else

#77 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13932 posts) -

Singapore > AmericaLonelynight

dat red light

#78 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Singapore > AmericaTheFallenDemon

dat red light

geylang?
#79 Posted by sSubZerOo (43016 posts) -
You guys do realize that handgun ban in Chicago was struck down years ago, right?
#80 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

You guys do realize that handgun ban in Chicago was struck down years ago, right?sSubZerOo

Man, why you gotta be bringing facts into this?

#81 Posted by Steve3950 (153 posts) -
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

sonicare
You want high murder rates in smaller towns, try Flint and Saginaw, michigan. Lol, those are bad. But I dont think Chicago counts as the full 2.7 million. They probably refer to just the urban areas and not its surrounding. So the denominator may be smaller.

I live in Saginaw, and happen to live in an extremely nice, predominantly white area with almost zero crime, despite Saginaw constantly being touted as the most dangerous city in America. Like Chicago, it's worse in some areas and perfectly fine in others.
#82 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

dayummm, didnt know Amsterdam was that high up. Though alot of people do get massacred there

#83 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -

dayummm, didnt know Amsterdam was that high up. Though alot of people do get massacred there

Postal_Guy
it just shows you how fcked up the rest of the world is.
#84 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -
Trashy city with trashy people with a crappy football team and ugly girls.
#85 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Trashy city with trashy people with a crappy football team and ugly girls.DaBrainz

False, some people, but everywhere has them, true (I guess, don't care about football), and again, everywhere has them.

#86 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
Love how DaBrainz, a Lions fan, always tries talking sh*t about the Bears :lol:
#87 Posted by ristactionjakso (5666 posts) -

That's a lie. Chicago has a gun ban, nobody can be killed with a gun in a gun free zone.

#88 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

That's a lie. Chicago has a gun ban, nobody can be killed with a gun in a gun free zone.

ristactionjakso

Actually this is a lie. Chicago does not have, and never has had, a gun ban. They require that all firearms be registered with the local police, they require a city gun permit. At one point they had effectively tried to ban handguns, but that law was struck down.

#89 Posted by ThePoliteArtist (240 posts) -

That's the **** I don't like.

#90 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -
Love how DaBrainz, a Lions fan, always tries talking sh*t about the Bears :lol:JML897
It's my duty to trash the Bears, Packers and Vikings and their respective cities any chance I get.
#91 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6523 posts) -
Why isn't America fixing Chicago? There's obviously some big issues there.
#92 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

worlock77

Actually this is a lie. Chicago does not have, and never has had, a gun ban. They require that all firearms be registered with the local police, they require a city gun permit. At one point they had effectively tried to ban handguns, but that law was struck down.

Anyway Chicago is proof that strict gun laws arent the answer. I dont know what the answer is but its obvious the laws arent working. Chicago should be the model of democratic left thinking the leftists have had control there for decades........haha
#93 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

AdamPA1006

Anyway Chicago is proof that strict gun laws arent the answer. I dont know what the answer is but its obvious the laws arent working. Chicago should be the model of democratic left thinking the leftists have had control there for decades........haha

There are simply too many varibles to say that strict gun laws do or do not work. One can easily point at Chicago and say "look, gun laws don't work". And one can just as easily point to Japan and say "see, strict gun laws do work". The problem is that neither statement takes any other factors into account.

#94 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

There are simply too many varibles to say that strict gun laws do or do not work. One can easily point at Chicago and say "look, gun laws don't work". And one can just as easily point to Japan and say "see, strict gun laws do work". The problem is that neither statement takes any other factors into account.

Well it works in their situation, not in ours. The city is probably so infested with illegal firearms maybe the only was it to go repo them. They would go back to making their own flitlocks lol
#95 Posted by Smatmat (47 posts) -
Ha. Well just stay out of the south side. I love chicago and feel very safe as long as I am surrounded by a majority white crowd. Northside chitown is the best metro area in the us.
#96 Posted by Diablo-B (4023 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

Gotta love that gun control. It's really working wonders.

hartsickdiscipl

But the murder rate in Chicago was extremely high even before the gun control was implemented.

The rate should be falling significantly if the laws are worth a damn. The enforcement of existing laws has always been the issue.. not enacting more.

Chicago is one example that makes your point. But NYC has the toughest gun laws in the nation and has some of the lowest murder rates per capita in the nation. So maybe Chicago has bad leader ship

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-13/new-york-city-remains-safest-big-u-s-city-as-crime-drops-5-mayor-says.html

#97 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6241 posts) -

Murder rate is largely gangs killing each other.

#98 Posted by Big_Pecks (5234 posts) -

Gigantic gap between Amsterdam and Paris, considering the lower tier cities. Hmm.

#99 Posted by Aljosa23 (24610 posts) -

Fvck yeah, 1.7

#100 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -

No guidance,easy access to guns and too many gangs.Just look at this video I love the song but come on,how a 16 year old get those type of guns.No one cares either cause they think they're stupid gang bangers,these kids have potenial to change.