CA vaccine bill bans personal, religious exemptions

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

The government has a duty to protect the majority from the stupidity of the minority when that stupidity endangers their health. Would this even be a discussion if some has been celebrity advocated not letting children have water because some proven fraud of a "doctor" said it was bad? That's almost as bad as what Carrey is doing so **** him and the horse he rode in on.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:
@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: If you don't mind me asking, why not?

Not keen on the government telling parents they have to do something for the parents. Granted parents can home school to avoid this, but still just not a fan.

No, I'm not some loon who thinks that vaccines are bad (although I'm not a fan of aluminum in vaccines).

But it's protecting those kids and those around them.

Seems like common sense here.

I may be wrong, but if my kids have been vaccinated(and they have) then they are safe from others.

Usually, but they aren't 100% effective in everybody. That's the nice thing about mass immunization, if one person isn't immunized perhaps because they have a weak immune system even though they had their shots, they're still safe.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@thegerg said:

Good.

For once Gerg has summed this thread up in the first response.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I feel people who refuse to get their kids vaccinated (unless there is a medical reason) should have their parental rights revoked. They are literally too dumb to be raising children IMO.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Lol there are worse things in processed food and shampoo than there is in vaccines.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@BranKetra said:
@StrifeDelivery said:
@BranKetra said:

As long as it is healthy, there should not be a problem granted public schools are chosen for children.

As long as what is healthy? Vaccines? The children? I have no clue what you are trying to say in this sentence.

Getting vaccinated, of course.

I'm just stuck on your word choice, of using "healthy". Your statement reads "As long as getting vaccinated is healthy". By its design, since vaccines are meant to protect you from disease, that seems to have already answered the question of it is a healthy choice. But I feel like that isn't what you were trying to say.

I feel like you were trying to say "safe" or "minimal risk" instead of "healthy", since to me, that makes more sense in the context of your sentence.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

This is a good thing - the so called 'evidence' linking MMR vaccines to autism was retracted and was been disproven with a study of over 95000 children over 17 years.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

About time. Oh, and America can keep Jim Carrey.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@Chutebox said:

I may be wrong, but if my kids have been vaccinated(and they have) then they are safe from others.

The big problem here is the risk to others. Even if your kids are vaccinated (mine are, too), there were windows during their lives where they potentially could get something like measles because it's not like you can immunize children against everything from birth. The recent Disneyland Measles outbreak affected two groups of people primarily: people who refused to get the vaccine and children under the age of 1 because they are too young to be immunized. It doesn't matter how diligent a parent is about getting vaccinations for their kids because there are points in their young lives where they will be vulnerable no matter what. Most immunizations require a minimum age, and as an infant they aren't nearly as well equipped to deal with a serious illness as an adult.

I don't think most people really care if an anti-vaccer gets sick because they refuse to get vaccines for religious/conspiracy theory/whatever beliefs (although I feel bad for the kids of Christian Scientists who let their children suffer and die from perfectly treatable illnesses because it's not like it's really their choice) but it's when your actions put others at risk then yeah I think it's fair for the government to step in. The FDA studies this stuff to death and of the common immunizations, very few modern immunizations ever contained any Thimerosal (the organic compound used as a preservative that contains some mercury). Measles, Mumps, Rebulla, Chickenpox, Polio and many others -never- contained this compound. Literally no vaccines in the childhood immunization schedule contain andy mercury.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/thimerosal/thimerosal_faqs.html

-Byshop

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

A bad joke whose abolition is long overdue. Vaccination exemptions for personal and religious reasons? What the hell does that even mean? As vaccination is a serious public health matter, I don't comprehend how someone might invoke this argument and be humored. Moreover, as absurd as the personal grounds might be, I understand them which is something that I can't say about their religious counterparts.

Skimming through the replies in this topic, I noticed the inane personal liberties argument cropping up unsurprisingly enough. The well-being of the progeny of the state trumps you're alleged liberty to idiocy and parental ineptitude. Besides, the law grants you the option of not vaccinating your children provided you homeschool them, neutralizing them as a danger to public health.

Finally, I didn't know Jim Carrey was a nutbag, it kind of adds to his humorousness and quirkiness.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#61 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:
@BranKetra said:
@StrifeDelivery said:
@BranKetra said:

As long as it is healthy, there should not be a problem granted public schools are chosen for children.

As long as what is healthy? Vaccines? The children? I have no clue what you are trying to say in this sentence.

Getting vaccinated, of course.

I'm just stuck on your word choice, of using "healthy". Your statement reads "As long as getting vaccinated is healthy". By its design, since vaccines are meant to protect you from disease, that seems to have already answered the question of it is a healthy choice. But I feel like that isn't what you were trying to say.

I feel like you were trying to say "safe" or "minimal risk" instead of "healthy", since to me, that makes more sense in the context of your sentence.

The thiomersal controversy is considered a hoax by consensus of the scientific community. While that is the case, if it were not then getting vaccinated with the preservative thiomersal would be unhealthy as it would be part of the cause of autism or other disorders related to brain development. You can say that as long as it is safe or there is minimal risk, yet this is about health, so that works, too.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

What on earth does religion have to do with vaccinations?

Is there a part of the scripture that says " Thou shalt not let thy offspring be protected by illness, rather thy let them risk illness and death. So speaketh the lord"?

If it's a result of the whole "Science vs Religion" thing that's going on in the US, then they need to get a grip.

And the whole " They make our kids retarded" thing, What a bunch of BS. Sure, you should be somewhat critical of brand new medication, but stuff used for years to keep you immune to Polio and such that's proven to work? Give me a break.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

A bad joke whose abolition is long overdue. Vaccination exemptions for personal and religious reasons? What the hell does that even mean? As vaccination is a serious public health matter, I don't comprehend how someone might invoke this argument and be humored.

America, bro. Best not to think about it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Byshop  Moderator
@BranKetra said:
@StrifeDelivery said:

The thiomersal controversy is considered a hoax by consensus of the scientific community. While that is the case, if it were not then getting vaccinated with the preservative thiomersal would be unhealthy as it would be part of the cause of autism or other disorders related to brain development. You can say that as long as it is safe or there is minimal risk, yet this is about health, so that works, too.

Yeah, that whole "thiomersal causes autism" thing was complete crap, and on top of that it's not even in any of the vaccines that are part of the normal childhood vaccination schedule. The whole thing is just so ridiculous.

-Byshop

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 branketra

@Byshop said:
@BranKetra said:
@StrifeDelivery said:

Yeah, that whole "thiomersal causes autism" thing was complete crap, and on top of that it's not even in any of the vaccines that are part of the normal childhood vaccination schedule. The whole thing is just so ridiculous.

-Byshop

Jim Carrey seems to believe otherwise.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@BranKetra said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Well then I guess it's up to each parent to decide if the best way to protect their children is to take the medical advice of the Food and Drug Administration and the Center for Disease Control and almost every single Doctor in the country -or- to take the advice of that guy who bends over and talks with his butt cheeks.

Hmmm, tough call. :)

-Byshop

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#68 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@lostrib: good, stupid people are the ones not vaccinating their kids

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#69 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

My mom's a post-polio survivor. If you feel like it's your religious right to not vaccinate your child, send me a PM and I'll send you her address so you can come down to her house, spend a day with her and then pray to your God that your child doesn't contract polio or anything like it.

The arrogance of religion astounds me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@BranKetra said:

Jim Carrey is a high school dropout. Why should we take anything he says on this topic seriously?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 branketra
@Byshop said:

Well then I guess it's up to each parent to decide if the best way to protect their children is to take the medical advice of the Food and Drug Administration and the Center for Disease Control and almost every single Doctor in the country -or- to take the advice of that guy who bends over and talks with his butt cheeks.

Hmmm, tough call. :)

-Byshop

lol The FDA, CDC, and collection of doctors is more reliable by the numbers and credentials.

@Aljosa23 said:

Jim Carrey is a high school dropout. Why should we take anything he says on this topic seriously?

Do not make the mistake of thinking that a standardized education path is the only way to knowledge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@BranKetra: For STEM it most assuredly is.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Anti-vaccers are going to go apeshit. Loons.

Didn't know Jim Carry was a big anti-vaccine advocate, though I've seen Jenny McCarthy have a few episodes of nuttiness, and they're an item. Good to see they share the same ideals, they'll be perfect for each other. I wonder who brainwashed who.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@thegerg:

I 100% agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#76  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Jim Carrey is against vaccinations? In that case I'm going to cancel all my kid's vaccination appointments...screw the studies and certified professionals in the field.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@BranKetra said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Do not make the mistake of thinking that a standardized education path is the only way to knowledge.

Of course it isn't, but it's much more likely that someone with a medical degree has greater knowledge in the area than a high school dropout.

Carey COULD have scoured over medical textbooks for years. He COULD have had the wisdom to separate scientific fact from scientific fiction pushed by charlatans. But it's much more likely that he didn't. And his recent comments serve as evidence to support that fact.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

what do you expect? that guys entire career depends on talking out his ass.

when you find something that works you stick with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#80 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

what do you expect? that guys entire career depends on talking out his ass.

when you find something that works you stick with it.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@BranKetra said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Of course it isn't, but it's much more likely that someone with a medical degree has greater knowledge in the area than a high school dropout.

Carey COULD have scoured over medical textbooks for years. He COULD have had the wisdom to separate scientific fact from scientific fiction pushed by charlatans. But it's much more likely that he didn't. And his recent comments serve as evidence to support that fact.

Like most anti vaccine people I'm sure they've been shown study after study debunking their nonsense. But just like global warming deniers, coming face to face with reality most likely just reinforces their beliefs. They'll claim some sort of conspiracy and reject the evidence as being fabricated.

Its essentially a sunk cost fallacy they've imposed on themselves. They've devoted too much time and effort to believing something so blatantly wrong that they're unable switch their thinking.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Yea **** it, lets bring back Polio eh?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: What about telling parents they have to earn license to drive a car? Or go through a background check to buy a gun? Or pay taxes? Or feed their kids?

I am a big fan of limiting the role of the state in our lives, but fundamental public health and safety measures like basic disease prevention are pretty straightforward and common sense places where a government should be involved.

I guess I should explain a little more. I have no problem if the kids are attending public schools. But this applies to private schools too.

I just don't want them to keep going with this trend in saying you have to get this because we believe it is healthy.

... We have much more than "belief" we have hardcore facts to back it up.. Furthermore when your not vaccinated your not just putting your self at risk your putting others at risk who are immune compromised or too young to get vaccination shots yet..

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By branketra

@Aljosa23 said:

@BranKetra: For STEM it most assuredly is.

The numbers are not displayed, here. It would be nice if they were.

@mattbbpl said:
@BranKetra said:
@Aljosa23 said:

That comment was about high school dropouts in general more than Carrey, rather than the vice-versa. Let's not make the mistake of relying on the statistics as the final say in whether or not someone can get a solid STEM education without high school. Abnormalities are considered ignorable by established academic standards. In practice, that is dangerously similar to apathy.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It's sad that we have come to this.

Getting your kids vaccinated should come as a natural consequence of having the slightest amount of civil responsibility. It shouldn't be something imposed with an iron fist.