CA vaccine bill bans personal, religious exemptions

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Vaccines are something that has been hotly debated for the past few years (thanks Andrew Wakefield)

Gov Jerry Brown has signed into law a strict vaccine bill that bans previous "loopholes" for personal and religious exemptions

Under the proposal, if a parent chooses to not vaccinate their child, the parent would have to home-school their child, participate in a multifamily private home-school or use public school independent study that's administered by local education agencies, according to Pan and co-sponsor Sen. Ben Allen, former board president of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District.

This proposal and passage of this law may be due to the recent measles outbreak at Disneyland and apparently CA vaccine rates have dropped to critical levels

"The current rate of vaccination in too many of California's schools is below the level needed for 'herd immunity' -- the critical percentage needed to prevent small outbreaks from spreading and become epidemics," Vaccine California's website said.

So good? bad?

Fascist?

Jim Carrey has proceeded to post multiple other tweets about vaccines alongside pictures of children with autism, which has made some people unhappy

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

All my kids are vaccinated, but I'm not a fan of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Very good news. Children shouldn't have to suffer because of a parents selfishness.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox

@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: If you don't mind me asking, why not?

Not keen on the government telling parents they have to do something for the parents. Granted parents can home school to avoid this, but still just not a fan.

No, I'm not some loon who thinks that vaccines are bad (although I'm not a fan of aluminum in vaccines).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

Hold up, lostrib made a thread on OT? This isn't system wars.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chutebox

@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: What about telling parents they have to earn license to drive a car? Or go through a background check to buy a gun? Or pay taxes? Or feed their kids?

I am a big fan of limiting the role of the state in our lives, but fundamental public health and safety measures like basic disease prevention are pretty straightforward and common sense places where a government should be involved.

I guess I should explain a little more. I have no problem if the kids are attending public schools. But this applies to private schools too.

I just don't want them to keep going with this trend in saying you have to get this because we believe it is healthy.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

That's good

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chutebox

@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: What about laws mandating motorcycle helmets or outlawing drunk driving? Those are both health and safety issues as well, regardless of whether it's a public vehicle or private vehicle.

It's on public roads. I know this kind of thing is done all around, but none of those things involve injecting your kids with substances. It's all good, but is there a line when we say enough?

Honestly, I like how my wife handled it. She didn't follow the vaccine path that was recommended and only allowed one vaccine per visit that had aluminum in it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Glad this happened.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: What about telling parents they have to earn license to drive a car? Or go through a background check to buy a gun? Or pay taxes? Or feed their kids?

I am a big fan of limiting the role of the state in our lives, but fundamental public health and safety measures like basic disease prevention are pretty straightforward and common sense places where a government should be involved.

I guess I should explain a little more. I have no problem if the kids are attending public schools. But this applies to private schools too.

I just don't want them to keep going with this trend in saying you have to get this because we believe it is healthy.

You simply don't like it because it is the state telling you to get it?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox

@horgen said:
@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

You simply don't like it because it is the state telling you to get it?

Forcing. Not necessarily the vaccines, but where will it end is what I mean. Not trying to be all paranoid, vaccines are good and kids should get them.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: Yes. The moment that the risk of a dramatically reduced disease immunity of a population is outweighed by the risk of immunizing that population we will have crossed that line. Hell, the moment that immunization is shown to have any significant risks we can have that talk.

FYI, people that are not immunized use public and other public spaces as well.

I understand that. This isn't necessarily about vaccines.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: So you're going with the slippery slope angle. Kind of like those who are upset about gay marriage because it will lead to people marrying animals.

Yes and no.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: Also, the state is not forcing any parent to immunize their kids. They still have the option to not be immunized.

Yes, I acknowledged that. If parents want their kids to receive an education outside of their house, that is when they must get immunized.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

Not keen on the government telling parents they have to do something for the parents. Granted parents can home school to avoid this, but still just not a fan.

No, I'm not some loon who thinks that vaccines are bad (although I'm not a fan of aluminum in vaccines).

But it's protecting those kids and those around them.

Seems like common sense here.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib

@davillain- said:

Hold up, lostrib made a thread on OT? This isn't system wars.

But I love me some sweet Vaccine talk

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Forcing. Not necessarily the vaccines, but where will it end is what I mean. Not trying to be all paranoid, vaccines are good and kids should get them.

I can see that point of view. As for where to draw the line, I don't know. Perhaps at stuff you can not choose to get or not???

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chutebox

@MakeMeaSammitch said:
@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

But it's protecting those kids and those around them.

Seems like common sense here.

I may be wrong, but if my kids have been vaccinated(and they have) then they are safe from others.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: You acknowledged that there are options for those that don't want to immunize their kids, yet you still claimed that the state is "forcing" something here. Which one do you actually believe?

For parents that both have to work, it's not really a choice.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Good, parents should not put the lives of children at risk by failing to vaccinate.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox

@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: Sometimes part of being an adult is making the choice to do something that you'd rather not do. They have the choice.

Such as? If they can't afford to have one parent work part time or just stop working to teach kids, what choice do they have? They have to send their kids to school.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@Chutebox said:
@thegerg said:

@Chutebox: Sometimes part of being an adult is making the choice to do something that you'd rather not do. They have the choice.

Such as? If they can't afford to have one parent work part time or just stop working to teach kids, what choice do they have? They have to send their kids to school.

apparently public school independent study or homeschool from other parents

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@lostrib: Fair enough.

Now then, back on topic; Glad to see something done right.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I was almost just expecting just "lolantivaxers" :P

Seriously, good. What idiot would risk their child's safety on the off-chance that they're right about some stupid conspiracy theory?

Edit: Also, a kid recently just died here in Barcelona from a perfectly preventable disease because he wasn't vaccinated. The general reaction was "What the ever-loving **** were you expecting from not vaccinating your child, you blithering idiot?" I didn't hear anybody defending the parents.

I don't see why everything in the USA has to be a debate with pros and cons. Some things don't have two sides to the tale: global warming exists, vaccines are good, etc etc. Fucking deal with it already. And you don't have to give the one idiot who denies it a microphone and the entire stage just to spark a debate from nothing.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They don't use mercury anymore...

And this is good for my niece. My sister is one of those skeptics that wouldn't vaccinate her baby.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

They don't use mercury anymore...

And this is good for my niece. My sister is one of those skeptics that wouldn't vaccinate her baby.

Your poor, poor niece... No offense to your sister.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It's always sad to see dumb celebrities spreading false information.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Good stuff. Personal "religious" exemptions are nonsense.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

As long as it is healthy, there should not be a problem granted public schools are chosen for children.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

Good.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@BranKetra said:

As long as it is healthy, there should not be a problem granted public schools are chosen for children.

As long as what is healthy? Vaccines? The children? I have no clue what you are trying to say in this sentence.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Hears a good middle ground. Stop using heavy metals and overly toxic shit in the vaccines. I'm sure they can figure out a way to do that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@ribstaylor1 said:

Hears a good middle ground. Stop using heavy metals and overly toxic shit in the vaccines. I'm sure they can figure out a way to do that.

what exactly are you talking about?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

in other news, Jim Carrey exposes his stupidity to a worldwide audience.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:
@BranKetra said:

As long as what is healthy? Vaccines? The children? I have no clue what you are trying to say in this sentence.

Getting vaccinated, of course.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Good.

Getting an infectious disease and passing it on to non-vaccinated people (i.e. those unable to medically be vaccinated, like young children) should be a crime.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@lostrib: Good, and lets get this shit federal... I don't understand how religions get these special privileges in the first place. Do whatever you want, I don't care, but when your actions affect other people it's not a right.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Vaccines are good for you. The very reason I rarely get sick and recover quickly should I do so.

Also who are you going to believe a medical professional or random lunatics on the internet.