• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

The reason c++ is hard is because it brings in both pointers (lower level programming) and objects (higher level programming). All the basics are the basics no matter what language you use, but pointers andobjects are the two big ones that differentiate everything. Thats why its best to either start off high (c# / java) because it abstracts pointers where you dont have to worry about memory management, or c, where it doesnt have object oriented features but has all the memory management. c++ has both, which is why if your a beginner you may be overwhelmed with both.

way2funny

Meh... I blew through c++ my freshman year easily... The only thing I ever got less than A+ grades on were recursion... Recursive functions are a major mind-fukk...

Did you guys go through both memory management and object oriented programming in depth?

imo its easier for me atleast to seperate memory management, and object oriented programming, then bring them together in c++. Our school did java, c++ then c, but I didnt really get memory management and pointers until our class in C.

We started out with pointers and memory management first then moved into classes and object oriented stuff later... The path was... Python, c++, visual basic, advanced visual basic, advanced c++... Though I took advanced c++ first due to scheduling conflicts... We were provided c# and java as a part of visual studio for free but taught no classes on it... I have 2008 and 2010 of both as well as the xbox 360 librarys... I learned MySQL and JavaScript but they weren't apart of cs or cis respectively...
octobermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 octobermagic
Member since 2009 • 524 Posts

Well thanks for all the tips and advice guys/gals :) I skimmed a couple of books on C, C++ and C#. I decided to go with C#. I purchased C# All in one for dummies (I cringe everytime I read the title). So far it's seems like a good book. Hopefully by the time I finish reading it i'll be knowledgeable in C#.

Once again thanks for all the responses.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

Start with C# and make a few projects. Jump to C++ once you feel like you're being limited by C# (will take a while).

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

if u wanna make games 1st learn

vector calculus
Linear algebra
C
then C++

my 2 cents

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

if u wanna make games 1st learn

vector calculus
Linear algebra
C
then C++

my 2 cents

painguy1
Pretty much this. I've never been involved in video game development, but advanced programming requires knowledge in advanced mathematics. I'll also add deferential equations to this list.
octobermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 octobermagic
Member since 2009 • 524 Posts

Going off topic on my own off topic here lol but Painguy1 the pic in your sig is hilarious. Couldn't help but to grin from ear to ear :)