British man jailed for wearing offensive t-shirt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] Only when those freedoms are constitutional.EmpCom

Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/15/10-reasons-the-u-s-is-no-longer-the-land-of-the-free/ Maybe you should look closer to home

You are aware that is a personal opinion....right?
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
[QUOTE="EmpCom"] Thats because most americans view of their rights are alot diff than the realityLJS9502_basic
This discussion is about personal liberty....not economic and government taxation which his link uses as part of the OPINION as to ranking countries. Come back when you can post on topic.

I never posted the link or does your limited iq prevent you from understanding that. and most americans views on their rights are aloit diff from the reality, come back when you can post on topic
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Thats because most americans view of their rights are alot diff than the realityEmpCom
This discussion is about personal liberty....not economic and government taxation which his link uses as part of the OPINION as to ranking countries. Come back when you can post on topic.

I never posted the link or does your limited iq prevent you from understanding that. and most americans views on their rights are aloit diff from the reality, come back when you can post on topic

My apologies....with your limited IQ I forgot you couldn't draw the inference that was I was referring to your basic assessment of his link as valuable to the discussion. I mean...why else make a comment on it. And your link by the way....was worse than his. An opinion piece filled with hyperbole and misinformation. Good job though kid.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.LJS9502_basic
http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/15/10-reasons-the-u-s-is-no-longer-the-land-of-the-free/ Maybe you should look closer to home

Really so what he says is wrong then
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/15/10-reasons-the-u-s-is-no-longer-the-land-of-the-free/ Maybe you should look closer to homeEmpCom

Really so what he says is wrong then

Hyperbole, exaggeration, and misinformation. You tell me. Oh...as for monitoring citizens...hasn't the UK had cameras in the streets for some time now? Don't get your panties in a twist. The UK does have much more prohibitive speech laws....and gun laws....;)
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] This discussion is about personal liberty....not economic and government taxation which his link uses as part of the OPINION as to ranking countries. Come back when you can post on topic.LJS9502_basic

My apologies....with your limited IQ I forgot you couldn't draw the inference that was I was referring to your basic assessment of his link as valuable to the discussion. I mean...why else make a comment on it. And your link by the way....was worse than his. An opinion piece filled with hyperbole and misinformation. Good job though kid.

His link certainly is more valuable to the discussion than anything you have have added but then that comes as no surprise
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] I never posted the link or does your limited iq prevent you from understanding that. and most americans views on their rights are aloit diff from the reality, come back when you can post on topicEmpCom

His link certainly is more valuable to the discussion than anything you have have added but then that comes as no surprise

Ah so you didn't actually read how they arrived at their ratings? You do know this topic is about personal freedom/speech and not taxation nor economic freedom? Or didn't you read this either? And at the end of the day...his link is a subjective ranking with the UK and US right next to each other. We're talking speech laws here though.....and there is no dispute the US is less restrictive dude.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Wearing a T shirt is not breaching any peace dude.LJS9502_basic

It comes under the hate speech laws. You seem to have the impression that the laws of the u.s. are better then the laws of other countries. Need I remind you that in the U.K. we can still by a large soda :P

And just in case there is doubt with regards liberty I will post this.

I don't think an opinion carries any validity. And your link is opinion. I can see at least two big examples where the US has more freedom than the UK. Nonetheless, we're talking about personal freedom and as such I don't see how economic freedom bears any weight. So that link is not representative in that aspect either.

Oh...and I can still buy a large soda. That's not US law. Just NY law. Not the same thing. Don't confuse the two...

Nothing to be confused over, fact remains that it is against the law to buy large drinks in that part of america.

Its isn't an opinion but rather a detailed analysis, but you are always quick to attempt to discredit any information that doesn't match your personal opinion.

freedom

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 tenaka2

...and gun laws....;)LJS9502_basic

you are actually proud of the u.s. gun culture?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

It comes under the hate speech laws. You seem to have the impression that the laws of the u.s. are better then the laws of other countries. Need I remind you that in the U.K. we can still by a large soda :P

And just in case there is doubt with regards liberty I will post this.

tenaka2

I don't think an opinion carries any validity. And your link is opinion. I can see at least two big examples where the US has more freedom than the UK. Nonetheless, we're talking about personal freedom and as such I don't see how economic freedom bears any weight. So that link is not representative in that aspect either.

Oh...and I can still buy a large soda. That's not US law. Just NY law. Not the same thing. Don't confuse the two...

Nothing to be confused over, fact remains that it is against the law to buy large drinks in that part of america.

Its isn't an opinion but rather a detailed analysis, but you are always quick to attempt to discredit any information that doesn't match your personal opinion.

Then why are you confused over US vs NY law? You cannot denote one tiny area of the country as representative as the whole. I look at the methodology. It incorporates economic and tax. And at the end of the day...it's still subjective how they arrive at that. But I'll leave you with this.....

United Kingdom citizens have a negative right to freedom of expression under the common law.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]...and gun laws....;)tenaka2

you are actually proud of the u.s. gun culture?

Considering I doubt you know the US gun culture this is pointless. But at least our government cannot hold the only weapons over the citizens and for that...yeah that's worth being proud about.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't think an opinion carries any validity. And your link is opinion. I can see at least two big examples where the US has more freedom than the UK. Nonetheless, we're talking about personal freedom and as such I don't see how economic freedom bears any weight. So that link is not representative in that aspect either.

LJS9502_basic

Then why are you confused over US vs NY law? You cannot denote one tiny area of the country as representative as the whole. I look at the methodology. It incorporates economic and tax. And at the end of the day...it's still subjective how they arrive at that. But I'll leave you with this.....

United Kingdom citizens have a negative right to freedom of expression under the common law.

It includes economic freedoms and persoanl freedoms, its clearly stated but again dismissing evidence that you dont like is nothing new with you.

Thae speech law suits and works well for the culture.

hjk

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

It includes economic freedoms and persoanl freedoms, its clearly stated but again dismissing evidence that you dont like is nothing new with you.

Thae speech law suits and works well for the culture.

Oh for f*cks sake. This is like talking to a wall. The fact that they includer other "freedoms" in their opinion ranking means in this particular topic that link is worthless. This is about personal freedom ONLY. Get it yet?

The link is not about this subject. It's a mix of various issues. And when you mix you DO NOT get a clear ranking on personal freedom. I think everyone here, yourself included, knows the UK has a more restrictive speech law. If you are denying that then there isn't any point to a discussion with you.

And the freedom of expression is the basis of this thread. I realize you can't go toe to toe on the speech aspect because the UK IS more restrictive than the US. But adding in taxation and economic freedom does NOT make the free speech laws less restrictive in the UK than in the US. PERIOD. Damn dude. Too early in the morning for you?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 tenaka2

]Oh for f*cks sake. This is like talking to a wall. The fact that they includer other "freedoms" in their opinion ranking means in this particular topic that link is worthless. This is about personal freedom ONLY. Get it yet?

The link is not about this subject. It's a mix of various issues. And when you mix you DO NOT get a clear ranking on personal freedom. I think everyone here, yourself included, knows the UK has a more restrictive speech law. If you are denying that then there isn't any point to a discussion with you.

And the freedom of expression is the basis of this thread. I realize you can't go toe to toe on the speech aspect because the UK IS more restrictive than the US. But adding in taxation and economic freedom does NOT make the free speech laws less restrictive in the UK than in the US. PERIOD. Damn dude. Too early in the morning for you?

LJS9502_basic

Fine again dismiss evidence you don't like, rather trasparent yet expected :P

No one denies that the UK has hate speech laws. But you cannot understand that for people in the UK this is a good thing, the ideal of freedom of speech isn't acceptable to english people.

You would argue that the WBC have a right to protest as they do. People from my culture would argue that it should be possible to have a funeral for a loved one and not be getting screamed at that your family memberis going to hell.

You would argue that the UK gun laws are to strict, people from this culture would argue that if 50% of the people on the same bus were carrying guns they certainly would not feel more free but would certainly feel less.

Just because you do not understand anything except your own culture, you should not try to impose your cultural views on the UK.

And again you are dismissing the stupid soda incident, NY would not be described as tiny, expecially in terms of population. Americans are banned from buying large soft drinks, a perfect example of 'Nanny' state.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

so much for freedom of speech

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#216 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19581 Posts

sAndroid17

At the risk of making a generalisation here...US citizens are pretty much the only ones in the world that strongly care about that sort of thing. Most other countries seem to be fine with punishing people for making stupid comments.

I mean, the UK does have some free speech/expression rights, but they don't protect inflammatory hate speech like this shirt. Sounds fair enough to me.

Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.Laihendi

By that logic, governments should never be allowed to imprison people, licences (for driving, guns, trading, service of alcohol, etc) shouldn't exist...hell, you must view most laws to be illegitimate, since they typically abridge people's freedoms (or to put it another way, they 'guide conduct').

Clearly, that philosophy could never lead to a functional society. Obviously, some concessions must be made for the greater good - it's the whole social contract idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
he's lucky they didn't kill him
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

11 pages in and this thread got no where.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#219 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
U.K. is more policed than some other countries. It was a bad choice to male.
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

England is nuts regarding free-speech from what I've read.

Just read the wiki on the UKs freedom of speech laws, and it appears you are totally free to say whatever you want as long as someone else is not annoyed by it, in which case it is illegal, and I guess they can imprison you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

]Oh for f*cks sake. This is like talking to a wall. The fact that they includer other "freedoms" in their opinion ranking means in this particular topic that link is worthless. This is about personal freedom ONLY. Get it yet?

tenaka2

No one denies that the UK has hate speech laws. But you cannot understand that for people in the UK this is a good thing, the ideal of freedom of speech isn't acceptable to english people.

You would argue that the WBC have a right to protest as they do. People from my culture would argue that it should be possible to have a funeral for a loved one and not be getting screamed at that your family memberis going to hell.

You would argue that the UK gun laws are to strict, people from this culture would argue that if 50% of the people on the same bus were carrying guns they certainly would not feel more free but would certainly feel less.

Just because you do not understand anything except your own culture, you should not try to impose your cultural views on the UK.

And again you are dismissing the stupid soda incident, NY would not be described as tiny, expecially in terms of population. Americans are banned from buying large soft drinks, a perfect example of 'Nanny' state.

So in the end you agree with me but you're still arguing about it? As for your evidence....it would have to be about the specific topic for it to be applicable. Even then...it's still subjective. No Americans are not banned from buying large soft drinks. New York is only one of 49 states. It does not represent the country. This is not about understanding culture. It's about restrictive freedom. You might be "culturally" fine with...but it is STILL restricted. Period.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

So in the end you agree with me but you're still arguing about it? As for your evidence....it would have to be about the specific topic for it to be applicable. Even then...it's still subjective. No Americans are not banned from buying large soft drinks. New York is only one of 49 states. It does not represent the country. This is not about understanding culture. It's about restrictive freedom. You might be "culturally" fine with...but it is STILL restricted. Period.

I am arguing with the fact that you think the law is wrong and the u.s. laws are 'right' there have been many draconian laws that have been passed in the u.s. since 9/11 that are far more restrictive then the u.k.

In your view people should be free to say anything they wish, in the UK people believe that we should be free to live our lives without being bombarded with hatred.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

I am arguing with the fact that you think the law is wrong and the u.s. laws are 'right' there have been many draconian laws that have been passed in the u.s. since 9/11 that are far more restrictive then the u.k.

In your view people should be free to say anything they wish, in the UK people believe that we should be free to live our lives without being bombarded with hatred.

What I'm arguing is that people should have the freedom to express ideas. Period. You are for censorship....and probably book burnings as well.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 EmpCom
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

So in the end you agree with me but you're still arguing about it? As for your evidence....it would have to be about the specific topic for it to be applicable. Even then...it's still subjective. No Americans are not banned from buying large soft drinks. New York is only one of 49 states. It does not represent the country. This is not about understanding culture. It's about restrictive freedom. You might be "culturally" fine with...but it is STILL restricted. Period.LJS9502_basic

What I'm arguing is that people should have the freedom to express ideas. Period. You are for censorship....and probably book burnings as well.

Here is an idea why don't you stop being a prick
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Or you could stop entering into conversations that make you cry like a baby....
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]What I'm arguing is that people should have the freedom to express ideas. Period. You are for censorship....and probably book burnings as well.LJS9502_basic

Crying no sad yes having to read crap posted by people like you
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Here is an idea why don't you stop being a prickEmpCom

You don't have to read it. I'm having a discussion with tenaka. We have discussions all the time. Will we agree? No. But at least he's not acting immature like you are. Now go away. Troll.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Or you could stop entering into conversations that make you cry like a baby....LJS9502_basic

You don't have to read it. I'm having a discussion with tenaka. We have discussions all the time. Will we agree? No. But at least he's not acting immature like you are. Now go away. Troll.

Yeah i am the troll cause im sick of the crap you post whats wrong mommy not hug you enough or did daddy touch you the wrong way. Converstion with tenaka he made a point you have not the uk is not the usa it does not have the same laws get over it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Crying no sad yes having to read crap posted by people like you EmpCom

Yeah i am the troll cause im sick of the crap you post whats wrong mommy not hug you enough or did daddy touch you the wrong way. Converstion with tenaka he made a point you have not the uk is not the usa it does not have the same laws get over it.

Damn dude don't they teach you proper grammar in your country? Go away. I'd rather not waste time shifting through your garbage posts. If you can't have a discussion like an adult then you shouldn't be here.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You don't have to read it. I'm having a discussion with tenaka. We have discussions all the time. Will we agree? No. But at least he's not acting immature like you are. Now go away. Troll.LJS9502_basic

Damn dude don't they teach you proper grammar in your country? Go away. I'd rather not waste time shifting through your garbage posts. If you can't have a discussion like an adult then you shouldn't be here.

I could give 2 f*cks about grammar its a forum post. You are the last person on here that should accuse others of garbage posts.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Yeah i am the troll cause im sick of the crap you post whats wrong mommy not hug you enough or did daddy touch you the wrong way. Converstion with tenaka he made a point you have not the uk is not the usa it does not have the same laws get over it. EmpCom

I could give 2 f*cks about grammar its a forum post. You are the last person on here that should accuse others of garbage posts.

My posts aren't garbage. You're one of the children that take disagreements personally. Why are you continuing to read my posts? Are you that stupid that you engage in a conversation while at the same time whining over reading the posts or do you just like the attention? I think perhaps it was your mommy and daddy that didn't hug you enough. And oh yeah...the UK is very restrictive with speech.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Damn dude don't they teach you proper grammar in your country? Go away. I'd rather not waste time shifting through your garbage posts. If you can't have a discussion like an adult then you shouldn't be here. LJS9502_basic

My posts aren't garbage. You're one of the children that take disagreements personally. Why are you continuing to read my posts? Are you that stupid that you engage in a conversation while at the same time whining over reading the posts or do you just like the attention? I think perhaps it was your mommy and daddy that didn't hug you enough. And oh yeah...the UK is very restrictive with speech.

Yeah and as we all know america is just so great. It was daddy then
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] I could give 2 f*cks about grammar its a forum post. You are the last person on here that should accuse others of garbage posts. EmpCom

Can't stop yourself can you? I must have you confused with someone else. I thought you were decent. Won't make that mistake again dude. US more free than the UK. Viva la Revoluccion.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#234 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
It's a t-shirt, shouldn't of been jailed for it.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]If diversity is important, then why are they suppressing his voice? Because it doesnt jibe with the majority? LJS9502_basic

Some nations simply value a certain level of respect, so the majority of britain won't mind that people like t-shirt man get punished.

Which basically means they value the level of respect if it's something they agree with....and punish what they don't agree with. Conformity FTL.

People agree with reason. The man wasn't being a critic of the state, he didn't state his 'opinion' to start a discussion as he didn't come up with any arguments. His opinion wasn't for the benefit of anyone, the sole intent of his statement is to insult, hurt and provoke others.
Simply said, this has nothing to do with censorship, this has something to do with the citizens of the UK who simply don't accept the (ab)use of freedom of speech to insult others. That's why I claimed that it's a case of respect.
Sorry for the late reply btw..

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

Planeforger

At the risk of making a generalisation here...US citizens are pretty much the only ones in the world that strongly care about that sort of thing. Most other countries seem to be fine with punishing people for making stupid comments.

I mean, the UK does have some free speech/expression rights, but they don't protect inflammatory hate speech like this shirt. Sounds fair enough to me.

Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.Laihendi

By that logic, governments should never be allowed to imprison people, licences (for driving, guns, trading, service of alcohol, etc) shouldn't exist...hell, you must view most laws to be illegitimate, since they typically abridge people's freedoms (or to put it another way, they 'guide conduct').

Clearly, that philosophy could never lead to a functional society. Obviously, some concessions must be made for the greater good - it's the whole social contract idea.

The only legitimate reason to imprison someone is to prevent him from abridging the freedom of someone else, and you can only have reason to believe that someone will attempt to abridge the freedom of others if he has already proven himself willing and capable of doing so, or if he is currently in the process of trying to do so, or threatening to do so, etc. Government has no business involving itself with driving, guns (unless they're being used against people for reasons other than defense), trade, alcohol, etc. Do you consider a society to function well when citizens are arrested for expressing an opinion? I don't. What contract are you speaking of? I have very rarely consented to contracts in my life, and none of them have been to the imaginary non-entity known as society, or its tangible and existent representative the government.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. NiKva
Its pretty obvious that Britain doesn't have the freedom of speech.

Agreed. I'm not condoning what the guy was doing but jailing someone just because he/she makes some offensive comment is a violation of freedom of speech.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#238 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any self-aware free-thinking individual who chooses to be free is entitled to freedom by default due to the absence of there being a reason for why he shouldn't be free.Laihendi

Only when those freedoms are constitutional.

Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.

Hate speech is not a freedom or right, simple as that.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"] Only when those freedoms are constitutional.harashawn

Can you justify that morally?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#240 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any constitution that abridges freedom is illegitimate. The only legitimate purpose of government is to protect the freedom of its constituency. If it does anything other than that, it is harming its constituency and they have no reason to respect its authority other than fear of it. Any regime that uses fear and force to control its constituency is evil and should be overthrown for the well-being of everyone.Laihendi

Physically assaulting someone is illegal, why should verbal/written assault be any different?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 tenaka2

[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] My posts aren't garbage. You're one of the children that take disagreements personally. Why are you continuing to read my posts? Are you that stupid that you engage in a conversation while at the same time whining over reading the posts or do you just like the attention? I think perhaps it was your mommy and daddy that didn't hug you enough. And oh yeah...the UK is very restrictive with speech. LJS9502_basic

Can't stop yourself can you? I must have you confused with someone else. I thought you were decent. Won't make that mistake again dude. US more free than the UK. Viva la Revoluccion.

you really think the U.S. is more free then the u.k.? (and the book burning comment was unfairly harsh lol) Here are some of the u.s. laws passed since 911, do you think they are laws that represent freedom?

Assassination of U.S. citizens

Last month, administration officials affirmed that power, stating that the president can order the assassination of any citizen whom he considers allied with terrorists.

Indefinite detention

Under the law signed last month, terrorism suspects are to be held by the military; the president also has the authority to indefinitely detain citizens accused of terrorism.

The Administration continues to claim the right to strip citizens of legal protections based on its sole discretion. (China recently codified a more limited detention law for its citizens, while countries such as Cambodia have been singled out by the United States for prolonged detention.)

Arbitrary justice

The president now decides whether a person will receive a trial in the federal courts or in a military tribunal, a system that has been ridiculed around the world for lacking basic due process protections.

Warrantless searches

The president may now order warrantless surveillance, including a new capability to force companies and organizations to turn over information on citizens finances, communications and associations. Bush acquired this sweeping power under the Patriot Act in 2001, and in 2011, Obama extended the power, including searches of everything from business documents to library records.

Secret evidence

The government now routinely uses secret evidence to detain individuals and employs secret evidence in federal and military courts. It also forces the dismissal of cases against the United States by simply filing declarations that the cases would make the government reveal classified information that would harm national security a claim made in a variety of privacy lawsuits and largely accepted by federal judges without question.

War crimes

The world clamored for prosecutions of those responsible for waterboarding terrorism suspects during the Bush administration, but the Obama administration said in 2009 that it would not allow CIA employees to be investigated or prosecuted for such actions.

Secret court

The government has increased its use of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which has expanded its secret warrants to include individuals deemed to be aiding or abetting hostile foreign governments or organizations. In 2011, Obama renewed these powers, including allowing secret searches of individuals who are not part of an identifiable terrorist group.

Immunity from judicial review

Like the Bush administration, the Obama administration has successfully pushed for immunity for companies that assist in warrantless surveillance of citizens, blocking the ability of citizens to challenge the violation of privacy.

Continual monitoring of citizens

The Obama administration has successfully defended its claim that it can use GPS devices to monitor every move of targeted citizens without securing any court order or review.

Extraordinary renditions

The government now has the ability to transfer both citizens and noncitizens to another country under a system known as extraordinary rendition, which has been denounced as using other countries, such as Syria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Pakistan, to torture suspects.

Land of the free? I don't think so.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#242 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
about time public displays of absurd stupidity became a legal offense
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Yeah and as we all know america is just so great. It was daddy thentenaka2

you really think the U.S. is more free then the u.k.? (and the book burning comment was unfairly harsh lol) Here are some of the u.s. laws passed since 911, do you think they are laws that represent freedom?

Last month, administration officials affirmed that power, stating that the president can order the assassination of any citizen whom he considers allied with terrorists.

Indefinite detention

Under the law signed last month, terrorism suspects are to be held by the military; the president also has the authority to indefinitely detain citizens accused of terrorism.

The Administration continues to claim the right to strip citizens of legal protections based on its sole discretion. (China recently codified a more limited detention law for its citizens, while countries such as Cambodia have been singled out by the United States for prolonged detention.)

Arbitrary justice

The president now decides whether a person will receive a trial in the federal courts or in a military tribunal, a system that has been ridiculed around the world for lacking basic due process protections.

Warrantless searches

The president may now order warrantless surveillance, including a new capability to force companies and organizations to turn over information on citizens finances, communications and associations. Bush acquired this sweeping power under the Patriot Act in 2001, and in 2011, Obama extended the power, including searches of everything from business documents to library records.

Secret evidence

The government now routinely uses secret evidence to detain individuals and employs secret evidence in federal and military courts. It also forces the dismissal of cases against the United States by simply filing declarations that the cases would make the government reveal classified information that would harm national security a claim made in a variety of privacy lawsuits and largely accepted by federal judges without question.

War crimes

The world clamored for prosecutions of those responsible for waterboarding terrorism suspects during the Bush administration, but the Obama administration said in 2009 that it would not allow CIA employees to be investigated or prosecuted for such actions.

Secret court

The government has increased its use of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which has expanded its secret warrants to include individuals deemed to be aiding or abetting hostile foreign governments or organizations. In 2011, Obama renewed these powers, including allowing secret searches of individuals who are not part of an identifiable terrorist group.

Like the Bush administration, the Obama administration has successfully pushed for immunity for companies that assist in warrantless surveillance of citizens, blocking the ability of citizens to challenge the violation of privacy.

The Obama administration has successfully defended its claim that it can use GPS devices to monitor every move of targeted citizens without securing any court order or review.

Extraordinary renditions

The government now has the ability to transfer both citizens and noncitizens to another country under a system known as extraordinary rendition, which has been denounced as using other countries, such as Syria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Pakistan, to torture suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRiHRS83Va8

Ye olde, however that's a reasonable portion of the population that aint free.

Wild-At-Heart.jpg

Personal freedom baby.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

So what would you guys do then with the guy who the t-shirt? It seems there is quite a few high horse people on here so it would be interesting to see what you moral knights would do.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="harashawn"] Hate speech is not a freedom or right, simple as that.harashawn

Physically assaulting someone is illegal, why should verbal/written assault be any different?

Because anyone can be offended by anything...

You don't have the right to not have your feelings hurt. Be an adult about it.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Since when are the British a free people?

We broke away from England to get away from that.

And now some people in our country want to become "civilized" like the UK. lol

I'd rather slit my wrist that live anywhere in Europe.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 tenaka2

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Can you justify that morally?SpartanMSU

Because anyone can be offended by anything...

You don't have the right to not have your feelings hurt. Be an adult about it.

Its all a matter of scale.

Do you think that if someone paid for big bus advertising posters in newyork saying '9/11 Best Day Ever!!!' A week after the twin towers attack it would have been allowed?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 LJS9502_basic

Indefinite detention

Arbitrary justice

Warrantless searches

Secret evidence

War crimes

Secret court

Extraordinary renditions

tenaka2

You're missing some of the key ingredients here. Hyperbole is not factual. But hey......the Queen does have the Tower of London to take care of her problems. See how easy it is to make exaggerations and have truths?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Indefinite detention

Arbitrary justice

Warrantless searches

Secret evidence

War crimes

Secret court

Extraordinary renditions

LJS9502_basic

You're missing some of the key ingredients here. Hyperbole is not factual. But hey......the Queen does have the Tower of London to take care of her problems. See how easy it is to make exaggerations and have truths?

If only it were hyperbole, then your post would be relevant.

Again your usual approach of dismissing facts that don't fit with your argument is all to common.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

As a general principle, international law permits the use of lethal force against individuals and groups that pose an imminent threat to a country, and officials said that was the standard used in adding names to the list of targets

Indefinite detention

Note the word terrorism suspects. It has always been the law that non citizens do not enjoy the Constitutional freedoms as citizens so not much has changed here.

Arbitrary justice

I'm assuming you mean individuals incarcerated due to military acts. And as such I'm not sure what the complaint is.

Warrantless searches

The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees U.S. citizens freedom from "unreasonable searches and seizures." In Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347, 88 S. Ct. 507, 19 L. Ed. 2d 576 (1967), the U.S. Supreme Court established the principle that a warrant issued by a "neutral and detached magistrate" must be obtained before a government authority may breach the individual privacy that the Fourth Amendment secures. The Katz decision held that "searches that are conducted outside the judicial process, without prior approval by judge or magistrate, are per se unreasonable under the Fourth Amendmentsubject only to a few specifically established and well-delineated exceptions." Over the years, the Court has recognized a number of exceptions to this rule that allow the police to conduct a legal search without a warrant in certain situations.

Secret evidence

Not sure what this means. A prosecutor doesn't present evidence to the defense until charges are brought so it's all relatively "secret" so to speak.

War crimes

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. While some of the actions were beyond reasonable....I don't find embarrassment to be torture.

Secret court

Intelligence is nothing new. With terrorism a hot topic it would stand to reason that more surveillance is necessary. Not sure why this is an issue. All countries with the capabilities spy...including the UK.

The court system has always given immunity when they can get corroboration of crimes of a more serious nature. Again this is nothing new.

See the word targeted? That means suspects not average citizens and you wonder why I say hyperbole.

Extraordinary renditions

Extradition is new to you?

tenaka2

If only it were hyperbole, then your post would be relevant.

Again your usual approach of dismissing facts that don't fit with your argument is all to common.

Facts? That is all skewed. It's hyperbole.

These issues really aren't going to affect the regular cirizens. And frankly if they did....there would be hell to pay. While I'm not saying I agree with them....your usage of them is hyperbole, exaggeration, and misinformation.