British man jailed for wearing offensive t-shirt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doesn't matter the when. Speech is either free or it's not. And in the UK...it doesn't seem to be free.LJS9502_basic

section 4a public order offence - displaying writing or other visible representation with intention of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

Sucks to be him but it's his own fault.

I'm not arguing that it's the law...I'm arguing it's a bad law. Big difference.:|

So you're saying this man should have the right to harass and cause distress? It's rare that it ends up with a prison sentence but he was a callous jerk who did it purely to cause a disturbance, free speech or not that was why he did it. He deserved it.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Man wears a shirt with a disagreeable opinion written on it. Number of people harmed: 0 Government arrests the man and puts him in jail. Number of people harmed: 1
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]

section 4a public order offence - displaying writing or other visible representation with intention of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

Sucks to be him but it's his own fault.

JohnF111
I'm not arguing that it's the law...I'm arguing it's a bad law. Big difference.:|

So you're saying this man should have the right to harass and cause distress? It's rare that it ends up with a prison sentence but he was a callous jerk who did it purely to cause a disturbance, free speech or not that was why he did it. He deserved it.

Opinions don't cause disturbances unless the other people are immature. Perhaps if an actual disturbance occurs one can arrest those causing a disturbance and not those who voice unpopular opinions. But hey...not my fault the UK has no free speech laws. *shrugs*
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#104 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="Shmiity"]

What does that have to do with anything? It's a shirt. You should not be arrested for your thoughts. Also, are butts sensored on USA tv? Maybe, but... you also don't get arrested for it.

I hope this case blows up- I mean, sure, it was offensive, but its 2012... come on UK.

LJS9502_basic
You should if your thoughts influence people. Do you want murderers sharing their thoughts on the best ways to kill people to your children? And of course you don't, but you probably get sued for showing some butt. Where's the freedom there?

So you're saying the British can't make up their own minds but follow T-shirt slogans? Seems a problem with the population then.

All young people are easily influenced. In any country.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. NiKva
Its pretty obvious that Britain doesn't have the freedom of speech.

Hasn't restricted my life because hate speech isn't a hobby of mine.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] You should if your thoughts influence people. Do you want murderers sharing their thoughts on the best ways to kill people to your children? And of course you don't, but you probably get sued for showing some butt. Where's the freedom there?

So you're saying the British can't make up their own minds but follow T-shirt slogans? Seems a problem with the population then.

I doubt it's all.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So you're saying the British can't make up their own minds but follow T-shirt slogans? Seems a problem with the population then.LJS9502_basic

I doubt it's all.

All to some extent. Isn't that why we have watersheds on TV? To stop the kiddies from seeing offensive things.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] All young people are easily influenced. In any country.

I doubt it's all.

All to some extent. Isn't that why we have watersheds on TV? To stop the kiddies from seeing offensive things.

Young people is not necessarily kids....
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#109 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

I don't care what the hell you have on your shirt no matter how stupid or messed up it is.

You should never be jailed for something like that.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Stupid man,

Stupid shirt,

Stupid laws

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

Oh, come on. The shirt isn't that bad. One less pig is better than more or the same amount of pigs. F*** the police! They're just a bunch of state hired thugs! Also, f*** the British government and their laws. If I wanted to live in a police state with cameras everywhere I'd move to... well s*** all governments are bad and I don't want to live in any police state, including the UK.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Hes an idiot, but Jail is a bit too much, how about a warning or something.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not arguing that it's the law...I'm arguing it's a bad law. Big difference.:|LJS9502_basic

Opinions don't cause disturbances unless the other people are immature. Perhaps if an actual disturbance occurs one can arrest those causing a disturbance and not those who voice unpopular opinions. But hey...not my fault the UK has no free speech laws. *shrugs*

Do you know that the dude had kill a cop for fun written on the back of his t-shirt? It's a pretty severe statement that can cause some distress, I can imagine that people would fear such a men due to the insanity of his statement

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] So you're saying this man should have the right to harass and cause distress? It's rare that it ends up with a prison sentence but he was a callous jerk who did it purely to cause a disturbance, free speech or not that was why he did it. He deserved it.rastotm

Do you know that the dude had kill a cop for fun written on the back of his t-shirt? It's a pretty severe statement that can cause some distress, I can imagine that people would fear such a men due to the insanity of his statement

Not reported by the BBC.....now why would they back down from that? Even if true...it's still just an idiot with a t-shirt. Not something that should result in jail.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#115 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Stay free Britain. :lol:

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 rastotm

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Opinions don't cause disturbances unless the other people are immature. Perhaps if an actual disturbance occurs one can arrest those causing a disturbance and not those who voice unpopular opinions. But hey...not my fault the UK has no free speech laws. *shrugs*LJS9502_basic

Not reported by the BBC.....now why would they back down from that? Even if true...it's still just an idiot with a t-shirt. Not something that should result in jail.

This one has a picture of it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9602481/Man-jailed-for-wearing-anti-police-T-shirt-on-day-PCs-killed.html. Massive fail on BBC's part.
Apart from that I do agree that a 4 month sentence is way too high, people should get a free pass for beating up people with a t-shirt like that.

MrMr-x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 MrMr-x2
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
[QUOTE="MrMr-x2"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]Freedom of speech can go fvck itself when someone crosses such boundaries. Have a good time there hero.GazaAli
As soon as you are jailed for expressing your mind your view on this would change at a drop of a hat.

I do believe people should be entitled to expressing their minds, but I also know my limits.

Every time you silence someone you make yourself a prisoner of your own action because you deny yourself the right to hear something. In other words, your own right to hear and be exposed is as much involved in all these cases as is the right of the other to voice his or her view. Because if all in society were agreed on the truth and beauty and value of one proposition, all except one person, it would be most important, in fact it would become even more important, that that one heretic be heard, because we would still benefit from his perhaps outrageous or appalling view.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Storm_Marine

Funny you should say that..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_World_Liberty_Indexbecause the UK is ranked at 7th, and the United States 8th when it comes to personal liberty..

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

sSubZerOo

Funny you should say that..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_World_Liberty_Indexbecause the UK is ranked at 7th, and the United States 8th when it comes to personal liberty..

Yet speech is more heavily curtailed in the UK. It comes down to opinion....including your link.
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts
And people who assault someone only get a slap on the wrist..
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

sSubZerOo

too bad he's canadian dumbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

TheFallenDemon

Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to discussion.. Dumbass.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 TheFallenDemon

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Butthurt-Is-Strong-With-This-One-7501150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

TheFallenDemon

Your lucky we aren't in the UK, or they would throw you in prison for that one!:P

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 TheFallenDemon

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to discussion.. Dumbass.sSubZerOo

Your lucky we aren't in the UK, or they would throw you in prison for that one!:P

it's a good thing that i have a contigency plan for that
V%20for%20Vendetta%20comics.jpg

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Opinions don't cause disturbances unless the other people are immature. Perhaps if an actual disturbance occurs one can arrest those causing a disturbance and not those who voice unpopular opinions. But hey...not my fault the UK has no free speech laws. *shrugs*LJS9502_basic

People in the U.K. hold different values then people in the U.S., diversity is important. I think he asked for trouble and got it, I have no issue with him going to prison.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#127 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Man wears a shirt with a disagreeable opinion written on it. Number of people harmed: 0 Government arrests the man and puts him in jail. Number of people harmed: 1

Cry some more. What he did broke the law and he was punished for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#128 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Voltaire - "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." There are always going to be jerks that abuse freedom of speech, but for the most part, it shouldnt be conditional.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#129 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"] Do you know that the dude had kill a cop for fun written on the back of his t-shirt? It's a pretty severe statement that can cause some distress, I can imagine that people would fear such a men due to the insanity of his statement

tenaka2

People in the U.K. hold different values then people in the U.S., diversity is important. I think he asked for trouble and got it, I have no issue with him going to prison.

If diversity is important, then why are they suppressing his voice? Because it doesnt jibe with the majority?
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Going to jail is another one of those "you cant be serious" moments, but wait wait wait is it true that he might face months in jail for disrupting public order??

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz294/makesomenoiise/Gifs/tumblr_l7z9raFqPE1qai3ks.gif.

Whoa hoooo!

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 rastotm

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Not reported by the BBC.....now why would they back down from that? Even if true...it's still just an idiot with a t-shirt. Not something that should result in jail. sonicare

If diversity is important, then why are they suppressing his voice? Because it doesnt jibe with the majority?

Some nations simply value a certain level of respect, so the majority of britain won't mind that people like t-shirt man get punished.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

rastotm

Some nations simply value a certain level of respect, so the majority of britain won't mind that people like t-shirt man get punished.

Which basically means they value the level of respect if it's something they agree with....and punish what they don't agree with. Conformity FTL.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 tenaka2

[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]If diversity is important, then why are they suppressing his voice? Because it doesnt jibe with the majority? LJS9502_basic

Which basically means they value the level of respect if it's something they agree with....and punish what they don't agree with. Conformity FTL.

its the a law that people of the U.k. agree with. The WBC would never be allowed to protest as they do if they were in the U.K., personally I prefer to live somewhere that does not tolerate hatred.

Not all people have the u.s. mind set, this is not a bad thing.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#134 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="rastotm"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]If diversity is important, then why are they suppressing his voice? Because it doesnt jibe with the majority? LJS9502_basic

American values dont work in the rest of the world.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. Laihendi
they don't have freedom of speech.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

TheFallenDemon

He was a terrorist fyi....

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is a blatant violation of freedom of speech. TopTierHustler

they don't have freedom of speech.

lol of course there is freedom of speech, didnt someone post a chart which shows the uk having a higher level of liberty then the u.s.?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 tenaka2

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

TopTierHustler

He was a terrorist fyi....

one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Plus no country in the world has funded more terrorists then the u.s.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]If it is against their public order offence laws then I fail to see the problem. Laihendi
If it's against their laws then the problem is their laws.

THIS!

Laws are often stupid,very stupid,or extremely stupid.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]If it is against their public order offence laws then I fail to see the problem. GreekGameManiac

If it's against their laws then the problem is their laws.

THIS!

The law in this case is not stupid, its a good law, in the same way that the uk has harsh gun laws. We would not see our society degenerate into anything resembling the u.s.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"] Some nations simply value a certain level of respect, so the majority of britain won't mind that people like t-shirt man get punished.clyde46

American values dont work in the rest of the world.

No sh*t sherlock......
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] If it's against their laws then the problem is their laws.tenaka2

THIS!

The law in this case is not stupid, its a good law, in the same way that the uk has harsh gun laws. We would not see our society degenerate into anything resembling the u.s.

Yes it would be terrible if the UK degenerated into a society where people weren't arrested for expressing an unpopular opinion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] If it's against their laws then the problem is their laws.tenaka2

THIS!

SMH at the UK and it's citizens.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]The law in this case is not stupid, its a good law, in the same way that the uk has harsh gun laws. We would not see our society degenerate into anything resembling the u.s.Laihendi
Yes it would be terrible if the UK generated into a society where people weren't arrested for expressing an unpopular opinion.

Heh, well said.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
[QUOTE="rastotm"]

You're right it's all a matter of opinion and preference. Some people think it's okay to celebrate the deaths of police officers and some people don't it's all a big grey issue. (Not saying that I agree he should be imprisoned, but I think this isn't a matter of conformity so much as the most basic level of respect)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="rastotm"] Some nations simply value a certain level of respect, so the majority of britain won't mind that people like t-shirt man get punished.darkmoney52

You're right it's all a matter of opinion and preference. Some people think it's okay to celebrate the deaths of police officers and some people don't it's all a big grey issue. (Not saying that I agree he should be imprisoned, but I think this isn't a matter of conformity so much as the most basic level of respect)

Laws should not be enacted over respect.
darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="darkmoney52"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Which basically means they value the level of respect if it's something they agree with....and punish what they don't agree with. Conformity FTL.

Laws should not be enacted over respect.

Hence why I said that I don't agree he should be imprisoned.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Yes, it can. There is a reason why bullying has been such a big topic in the US. Offensive statements, whether spoken or written, with the intention to offend and harass individuals, are often considered punishable offences. That is the case here. Get over it.

SolidSnake35

I realize it's considered a punishable offense. I'm saying it shouldn't be. You seem to believe that the law of the government is always right because the government says so. Wearing a shirt with a disagreeable opinion written on it is not harassment because it can be easily ignored. If every person who ever did something that someone else found offensive was jailed, we would all be in jail.

I'm sorry that we have standards in England and don't take kindly to offensive morons.

That statement offends me. I will be reporting you to the hate speech police.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#149 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I actually agree with him being jailed. It's the American equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church, in which I'm sure a clear majority of Americans think they should be imprisoned for what they do. Not only that, but particularly in Northern Ireland, wearing something like that could lead to a riot. Just a difference in culture really of what's acceptable and what's not. The police deserve respect.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]I actually agree with him being jailed. It's the American equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church, in which I'm sure a clear majority of Americans think they should be imprisoned for what they do. Not only that, but particularly in Northern Ireland, wearing something like that could lead to a riot. Just a difference in culture really of what's acceptable and what's not. The police deserve respect.

No. I don't agree with what the WBC says....but I'd in no way erode free speech over it and I think most Americans think more like that than you. Thank God.