Battle: Los Angeles

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Is this going to suck?

I need some hot alien-invasion action, but a little story and some decent acting would be nice too.

There is nothing up on Rotten Tomatoes yet as far as reviews go - does that mean they were afraid to allow pre-screenings for fear of bad reviews?

It opens on Friday. I was planning on spending some cash on it and some overpriced popcorn.

Not sure if it'll be worth it though.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I'm going to see it regardless of the reviews. It's got some great special effects and some good actors, so combined that with my favorite movie villian (aliens), and it's going to be insta win for me. Hey, it's got to be better than skyline at least.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
it will probably suck
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I'm going to see it. When I first saw the trailer, I thought, "Oooo, this is District 10. Christopher Johnson has returned to wage war against the Earth." But no, it was about LA getting f***ed up. I still want to see that, though.

groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts

Isn't this the same director as Clash of the Titans? Nuff said....

It seems like another Skyline movie =/

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Isn't this the same director as Clash of the Titans? Nuff said....

It seems like another Skyline movie =/

groovdafied

Clash of the Titans wasn't THAT bad.

Skyline, on the other hand, was dumb.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I've wanted for a while now to see an alien invasion flick that was actually military-centric and didn't center around some sappy family-drama story involving a loser salesman and his bratty kids.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts

I've wanted for a while now to see an alien invasion flick that was actually military-centric and didn't center around some sappy family-drama story involving a loser salesman and his bratty kids.

Verge_6
Haha pretty much this. I'm tired of following the civilian.
villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

Verge_6

im sure in empire the director said something along the lines of the america reacting to being invaded aspect of the film was the real driving force, comes to something when having to use aliens is probably the most realistic way of showing the US being invaded...

the first contact tv spot is further pushing my hopes that its not all special effects and somehow gets a nice blackhawk down with aliens feel to it

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I am hopeful seeing as Aaron Eckhart is in it, he is a great actor.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I want to see it. Just hope it's ok

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Skyline disappointed me greatly. Monsters was enjoyable, however. This one better not disappoint.
cmdrmonkey45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cmdrmonkey45
Member since 2010 • 360 Posts

It's hard to say how it will be since the trailers don't show much, and there aren't any reviews up. I agree with others that it would be nice to see an alien invasion from the military perspective for once.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hexagon_777

It's hard to say how it will be since the trailers don't show much, and there aren't any reviews up. I agree with others that it would be nice to see an alien invasion from the military perspective for once.cmdrmonkey45
Wasn't Independence Day like that? :P

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Verge_6

[QUOTE="cmdrmonkey45"]It's hard to say how it will be since the trailers don't show much, and there aren't any reviews up. I agree with others that it would be nice to see an alien invasion from the military perspective for once.Hexagon_777

Wasn't Independence Day like that? :P

Correction; a military-centric alien invasion flick that didn't have sappy family-drama OR Will Smith punching aliens in the face/Mothership-hacking MACs.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#16 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Didn't we have a LA invasion movie like that last year that sucked? What was it called .... oh yes!!!

SKYLINE

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
No idea if this movie is going to be good or not but what I do like about this movie is it's inspiration. Quoted from IMDB: "The film is inspired by the real life incident known as the Battle of Los Angeles, during World War II. On the night of 24-25 February 1942, unidentified aircraft were allegedly spotted in the airspace above Los Angeles. Suspecting it to be the Japanese, a blackout of the city was ordered and over 1,440 rounds of anti-aircraft ammunition was fired. Upon finding no evidence of the existence of any enemy aircraft, the incident was declared to be a "false alarm". The event has since been chalked up to as being a result of "war nerves", likely triggered by a lost weather balloon and exacerbated by stray flares and shell bursts from adjoining anti-aircraft batteries." Based on that, I'm going to take a chance and watch it this weekend.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
I am hopeful seeing as Aaron Eckhart is in it, he is a great actor. sSubZerOo
Sweet.I will see it. I saw Meet Bill recently with Eckhart.Enjoyed it.He is a good actor.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

As long as it doesn't have a such a retarded ending like Skyline did then I'm sure this movie will be immensely better.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

"skyline 2011"

im calling it right now

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It looks amazing.

For all you yelling "skyline 2011" you should know that Skyline was made by the team that did the CGI for Battle Los Angeles. They blatently ripped off the idea and pushed out a movie in half the time it took the make this.

Have some faith. This one actually looks good not just "we are some teens going to defend the world!!"

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it will probably suck but i don't care since it's just a mindless little popcorn movie.

sometimes i just want to see stuff get blown up.

i wish that they would make a movie out of harry turtledoves worldwar books.

ww2 + alien invasion = awesome.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexagon_777

As long as it doesn't have a such a retarded ending like Skyline did then I'm sure this movie will be immensely better.THGarrett
Skyline had issues but the ending really wasn't one of them in my opinion.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
what ridiculous loophole will humans find and exploit to somehow to defeat the OVERWHELMINGLY more powerful alien force? that's all i want to know.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Verge_6

what ridiculous loophole will humans find and exploit to somehow to defeat the OVERWHELMINGLY more powerful alien force? that's all i want to know.comp_atkins
They actually don't look overwhelmingly powerful this time around. The vehicles look clunky, but functional. They seem to be using projectile-based weaponry as well. I'm not getting any sense that these are invincible, hyper-technological super-beings. Their greatest asset doesn't seem to be their technology, but the fact that they caught humanity by surprise.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I am hopeful seeing as Aaron Eckhart is in it, he is a great actor. sSubZerOo
This is what makes me hopeful. Even if it turns out to be bad/average at best I'll probably see it cause I have a number of red blooded friends who like action and explosions.
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#27 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

[QUOTE="THGarrett"]As long as it doesn't have a such a retarded ending like Skyline did then I'm sure this movie will be immensely better.Hexagon_777

Skyline had issues but the ending really wasn't one of them in my opinion.

Skyline had so many issues. What I think THGarrett was talking about was during the credits when they showed CG clips of how the main character saved the girl and escaped as a mutant alien thingy. Maybe you missed it because the movie sucked so bad that when the credits started you just had to leave to get the bad taste out of your mouth. Skyline soured my taste for alien invasion wanna-be movie clones of District 9. I'll wait for the movie review of Battle: Los Angeles before I take a plunge into the abyss!
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777

It looks amazing.

For all you yelling "skyline 2011" you should know that Skyline was made by the team that did the CGI for Battle Los Angeles. They blatently ripped off the idea and pushed out a movie in half the time it took the make this.

Have some faith. This one actually looks good not just "we are some teens going to defend the world!!"Wasdie

:o Do you have a link?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]what ridiculous loophole will humans find and exploit to somehow to defeat the OVERWHELMINGLY more powerful alien force? that's all i want to know.Verge_6

They actually don't look overwhelmingly powerful this time around. The vehicles look clunky, but functional. They seem to be using projectile-based weaponry as well. I'm not getting any sense that these are invincible, hyper-technological super-beings. Their greatest asset doesn't seem to be their technology, but the fact that they caught humanity by surprise.

i would think any alien race that has the means to get to earth would be technologically advanced enough to easily obliterate us.. maybe they're just bad planners though...
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]what ridiculous loophole will humans find and exploit to somehow to defeat the OVERWHELMINGLY more powerful alien force? that's all i want to know.comp_atkins

i would think any alien race that has the means to get to earth would be technologically advanced enough to easily obliterate us.. maybe they're just bad planners though...

Again, look at the tech displayed in the trailer. It looks clunky, ungainly, and nowhere near as refined as the kind seen in War of the Worlds or Independence Day. In one shown on TV, you see a quick shot of one of the alien infantry getting taken down by regular infantry with assault rifles. I'm not saying the aliens don't have tech advantages, but it's clearly not to the degree that they have super-amazing nuclear-explosion-deflecting deflector shields and the like.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

I don't know, I might see it, but I can't get past how stupid the title is I mean Battle: Los Angeles, it sounds like a video game title rather a movie title and it keeps telling me it's going to be a cheesy movie.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The aliens were originally going to invade Afghanistan.

But when they saw what's happening there, they quickly realized it would be easier to invade the U.S.

:D

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

But when they saw what's happening there, they quickly realized it would be easier to invade the U.S.

Stesilaus
dumbest thing ive read all day
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Verge_6"] They actually don't look overwhelmingly powerful this time around. The vehicles look clunky, but functional. They seem to be using projectile-based weaponry as well. I'm not getting any sense that these are invincible, hyper-technological super-beings. Their greatest asset doesn't seem to be their technology, but the fact that they caught humanity by surprise.

Verge_6

Again, look at the tech displayed in the trailer. It looks clunky, ungainly, and nowhere near as refined as the kind seen in War of the Worlds or Independence Day. In one shown on TV, you see a quick shot of one of the alien infantry getting taken down by regular infantry with assault rifles. I'm not saying the aliens don't have tech advantages, but it's clearly not to the degree that they have super-amazing nuclear-explosion-deflecting deflector shields and the like.

yeah, i agree with that. i'm just wondering how the hell they got here in the first place then :P
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

taterfrickintot

That's only because it was my first post for today. :P

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"][QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

Stesilaus

That's only because it was my first post for today. :P

lol
sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
It looks like your typical Aliens invading Earth movie, I've seen enough of them but if people like it I might go and watch it.
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Yeah I want to see it, I don't have too much hope for the plot, and I know nothing about the movie.
n00bproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 n00bproof
Member since 2009 • 674 Posts

I HOPE its good, I just want a sci fi blockbuster that doesn't suck.

I had a dream last night that it got a 1 on Rotten Tomatoes (I'm guessing that 1 was Armond White)

n00bproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 n00bproof
Member since 2009 • 674 Posts

I just looked up the director, he had two horrible movies (Darkness Falls, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning) and one good movie (The Killing Room). But whatever, its not really the director that makes a movie good, its the screenwriter.

Ridley Scott directed Alien and look how crappy his movies have been lately

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

It looks like if Independence Day and War of the Worlds smashed in a dumpster in a dark alley somewhere and this came out 9 months later.

I'm just going to wait until it hits HBO or something I think. Nothing can top Independence Day anyways for cheesy sci-fi alien invasion movies.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Trailer made me interested. Will probably end up seeing it.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

yeh i'm so seeing it, i just wanna see Micelle Rodriguez doing "stuff" :roll:

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The only thing that I liked about the trailer is all the Phrogs.

Gaggle of Phrogs

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I thought it looked good then noticed it was 12A certificate and my initial enthusiasm waned.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Most likely it will blow. Oscars aren't given to exciting action movies, so almost no good writers/directors actually work on these movies. Freaking shame, but that's the movies for ya.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Oh god, I hope it isn't like Skyline. They spent 85% of the movie just running around a building.... not in a awesome way like in Die Hard.
ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Its just another Alien war movie where the humans are like "we are at war!" It doesn't look impressive. Maybe I'll see it but I doubt it.

CMFreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CMFreezy
Member since 2011 • 656 Posts
How would we know if it sucks or not? Its not even out yet. I plan on going to see it when it comes out no matter what the critics say.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
I will see it, its in Los freaking Angeles man, getting invaded and all. It'll be awesome!