Ayn Rand's sudden increase in (internet) popularity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

I mainly dislike it because of its overt hostility towards charity and philanthropy in general.

GabuEx

What are her reasons?

Basically, that people who are homeless, unemployed, or basically anyone who needs the services provided by charitable organizations, are lazy and thus unworthy of help, and that there is therefore nothing moral or virtuous of any kind in giving these people help. It separates people into groups of those who "deserve" what has happened to them and those who don't, and states that only those in the latter bucket should be given assistance. It's callous as **** and is something that I could never abide by, as I strongly believe that there is no such thing as truly "deserving" something.

Do you have an exact quote to back that up?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

I mainly dislike it because of its overt hostility towards charity and philanthropy in general.

GabuEx

What are her reasons?

Basically, that people who are homeless, unemployed, or basically anyone who needs the services provided by charitable organizations, are lazy and thus unworthy of help, and that there is therefore nothing moral or virtuous of any kind in giving these people help. It separates people into groups of those who "deserve" what has happened to them and those who don't, and states that only those in the latter bucket should be given assistance. It's callous as **** and is something that I could never abide by, as I strongly believe that there is no such thing as truly "deserving" something.

Oh.

It reminds me of a certain OT user...

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]What are her reasons?

Teenaged

Oh.

It reminds me of a certain OT user...

Reminds me of quite a few, although I suspect maybe I know which one you're talking about. MEOW.

I often wonder just how many of the right winger accounts are alts of other right winger accounts or are simply troll accounts. At least a few have to be, I would think. This is how all forums work.

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts

Ayn Rand was an absolute moron.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

I find her an her "philosphy" to be utterly disgusting, but that's me.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
She's a terrible writer and all of her books blow pretty hard. Nobody outside of ideological libertarians would ever say they love her books.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#108 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]What are her reasons?

QuistisTrepe_

"Poverty is not a mortgage on the labor of others—misfortune is not a mortgage on achievement—failure is not a mortgage on success—suffering is not a claim check, and its relief is not the goal of existence—man is not a sacrificial animal on anyone's altar nor for anyone's cause—life is not one huge hospital."

"To view the question in its proper perspective, one must begin by rejecting altruism's terms and all of its ugly emotional aftertaste—then take a fresh look at human relationships. It is morally proper to accept help, when it is offered, not as a moral duty, but as an act of good will and generosity, when the giver can afford it (i.e., when it does not involve self-sacrifice on his part), and when it is offered in response to the receiver's virtues, not in response to his flaws, weaknesses or moral failures, and not on the ground of his need as such." (emph. added)

"My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue." (emph. added)

She makes it sound all well and good by saying that there is nothing wrong in helping other people, but if one really reads what she's saying, she is effectively saying that as long as one assures oneself that a person is not "worthy" of one's help then there is nothing wrong with not giving that person help. Couple this in with her rather clear apathy towards the plight of the impoverished and the way in which she effectively ties together poverty with failure and the implications in what she has to say seem rather evident to me.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

"Poverty is not a mortgage on the labor of others—misfortune is not a mortgage on achievement—failure is not a mortgage on success—suffering is not a claim check, and its relief is not the goal of existence—man is not a sacrificial animal on anyone's altar nor for anyone's cause—life is not one huge hospital."

"To view the question in its proper perspective, one must begin by rejecting altruism's terms and all of its ugly emotional aftertaste—then take a fresh look at human relationships. It is morally proper to accept help, when it is offered, not as a moral duty, but as an act of good will and generosity, when the giver can afford it (i.e., when it does not involve self-sacrifice on his part), and when it is offered in response to the receiver's virtues, not in response to his flaws, weaknesses or moral failures, and not on the ground of his need as such." (emph. added)

"My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue." (emph. added)

OK, and what's wrong with this? This reflects my views precisely. Most people help other because they choose to. The only problem here appears to be your interpretation of it. All that is being said here in a roundabout way is that the moral view of charity is that it is done in rational self interest. Same as if I helped a friend of my own will for my own selfish interest. The relationship is important to me and I want to see my friend do well.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"]To those who said they "hate" her philosophy, why? What makes it worse then any other philosophy faulting out there? Which philosophical ideology do you feel trumps her's? Im not challenging you or anything, Im just curious of why you think its bad?wslacker2
Because it has promoted the despicable lie that the poor deserve their lot because they're a bunch of lazy moochers, when the reality is that a lot of the homeless are mentally disabled, physically disabled, children, elderly, or are unemployable due to problems with criminal records, mental illness, or the fact that many employers require prospective employees to have an address with the homeless, ipso facto, do not have. Also, it turns out that the people who promote the ideology don't really give me a good impression - Terry Goodkind with his "evil pacifists" and morally questionable protagonist; Ditko's "Mr. A," whose main superpower seems to be lecturing people to death; "The Girl Who Owned a City," in which someone who scavenges goods lectures people on rightful ownership; and Jay Naylor's webcomics, which endear me more to his designated strawman than to his protagonists.

I am disabled, dude. I'm on SSDI. A good majority of the jackos who are on welfare or govt. assistance, ARE moochers or cheaters.

Is that why the majority of welfare cases are temporary? They got bored with mooching and cheating?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="wslacker2"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"] Because it has promoted the despicable lie that the poor deserve their lot because they're a bunch of lazy moochers, when the reality is that a lot of the homeless are mentally disabled, physically disabled, children, elderly, or are unemployable due to problems with criminal records, mental illness, or the fact that many employers require prospective employees to have an address with the homeless, ipso facto, do not have. Also, it turns out that the people who promote the ideology don't really give me a good impression - Terry Goodkind with his "evil pacifists" and morally questionable protagonist; Ditko's "Mr. A," whose main superpower seems to be lecturing people to death; "The Girl Who Owned a City," in which someone who scavenges goods lectures people on rightful ownership; and Jay Naylor's webcomics, which endear me more to his designated strawman than to his protagonists.

I am disabled, dude. I'm on SSDI. A good majority of the jackos who are on welfare or govt. assistance, ARE moochers or cheaters.

Is that why the majority of welfare cases are temporary? They got bored with mooching and cheating?

Dude, don't question it; he's on SSDI, so clearly he has well-researched knowledge of everyone on government assistance programs and thus he's the perfect authority to determine who is and is not mooching the system.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#112 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

There is a reason why Objectivism is not really taken seriously by philosophy professors.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Theokhoth

There is a reason why Objectivism is not really taken seriously by philosophy professors.

GreySeal9
My philosophy professor, when he brings it up, shakes his head, lowers his voice to a whisper, and says "I don't like it." Which, for him, really, truly is saying "It's a pile of ****."
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

She makes it sound all well and good by saying that there is nothing wrong in helping other people, but if one really reads what she's saying, she is effectively saying that as long as one assures oneself that a person is not "worthy" of one's help then there is nothing wrong with not giving that person help. Couple this in with her rather clear apathy towards the plight of the impoverished and the way in which she effectively ties together poverty with failure and the implications in what she has to say seem rather evident to me.

GabuEx

So you think its fine to help the bum on the street that asks you for food money only to go spend it on booze? She has a point, some people aren't worthy of help.

HAHAITHINKNOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 HAHAITHINKNOT
Member since 2010 • 403 Posts

GreySeal9
Quite. It's not in any sense coherent; just Ayn Rand's collected opinions, which mostly range from the merely wrong to the genuinely repulsive.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]She makes it sound all well and good by saying that there is nothing wrong in helping other people, but if one really reads what she's saying, she is effectively saying that as long as one assures oneself that a person is not "worthy" of one's help then there is nothing wrong with not giving that person help. Couple this in with her rather clear apathy towards the plight of the impoverished and the way in which she effectively ties together poverty with failure and the implications in what she has to say seem rather evident to me.

bobaban

So you think its fine to help the bum on the street that asks you for food money only to go spend it on booze? She has a point, some people aren't worthy of help.

The fact that you assume he's going to spend the money on booze says a whole lot. :roll:
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Theokhoth

My philosophy professor, when he brings it up, shakes his head, lowers his voice to a whisper, and says "I don't like it." Which, for him, really, truly is saying "It's a pile of ****."

LOL.

And it's not even just the questionable morality that makes it crappy, it's the astounding lack of depth that makes it so not worthy of being taken seriously. It claims to be derived from the nature of reality, yet it doesn't attempt to explain why things are the way they are, but instead simply preaches about the way Rand would like life to be.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

HAHAITHINKNOT

Quite. It's not in any sense coherent; just Ayn Rand's collected opinions, which mostly range from the merely wrong to the genuinely repulsive.

Yep.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 GreySeal9

"During this period there was also increased criticism of her ideas, especially from the political left"

Interesting...She's a Liberterian though so, not exactly the same ideology.

Snipes_2

And pray tell why is this "interesting"?

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

"During this period there was also increased criticism of her ideas, especially from the political left"

GreySeal9

They blamed her support of Free Markets for the economic crisis and they called her "Selfish" :lol:

They also did not have a problem with her ideas until she appeared on Glenn Beck it seems.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I'm sure you could isolate this popularity to a specific corner of the Internet. I haven't heard of them.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Snipes_2

They blamed her support of Free Markets for the economic crisis and they called her "Selfish" :lol:

Her very ideology was the epitome of selfishness, so I don't see what so funny about that.

And as for the bit about free markets, how about putting the criticisms into context? What do you mean by "they blamed her support of free markets"? Where are getting that from?

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
[QUOTE="bobaban"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]She makes it sound all well and good by saying that there is nothing wrong in helping other people, but if one really reads what she's saying, she is effectively saying that as long as one assures oneself that a person is not "worthy" of one's help then there is nothing wrong with not giving that person help. Couple this in with her rather clear apathy towards the plight of the impoverished and the way in which she effectively ties together poverty with failure and the implications in what she has to say seem rather evident to me.

Theokhoth

The fact that you assume he's going to spend the money on booze says a whole lot. :roll:

Maybe you should go out in the real world and see how things really go down. It's nice to think all bums are saints that lost their way, but if you've actually spent a nanosecond downtown in a poverty stricken area you'll know that people can be weak, manipulative, and selfish. I've actually volunteered in these places, and it is not pretty. Innocent until proven guilty is for an ideal world, which this world clearly isn't.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Her very ideology was the epitome of selfishness, so I don't see what so funny about that.

And as for the bit about free markets, how about putting the criticisms into context? What do you mean by "they blamed her support of free markets"? Where are getting that from?

Just Wikipedia "Ayn Rand" to find the answers you're looking for.

"Her very ideology was the epitome of selfishness"

Arent you a Liberal?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Snipes_2

They also did not have a problem with her ideas until she appeared on Glenn Beck it seems.

Who didn't have a problem with her ideas? Who is they? Are liberals some kind of hive mind? :roll:

Also, I'm pretty sure leftists have always found Ayn Rand's philosophy to be morally bankrupt.

HAHAITHINKNOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 HAHAITHINKNOT

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] They blamed her support of Free Markets for the economic crisis and they called her "Selfish" :lol:Snipes_2

Arent you a Liberal?

Don't you think she was selfish?
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="bobaban"] So you think its fine to help the bum on the street that asks you for food money only to go spend it on booze? She has a point, some people aren't worthy of help.

bobaban

Maybe you should go out in the real world and see how things really go down. It's nice to think all bums are saints that lost their way, but if you've actually spent a nanosecond downtown in a poverty stricken area you'll know that people can be weak, manipulative, and selfish. I've actually volunteered in these places, and it is not pretty. Innocent until proven guilty is for an ideal world, which this world clearly isn't.

I watched a Homeless man after he received some money. He went STRAIGHT to the Liquor store and came back with a brown bag full of alcohol, no joke. If anyone wants to prove this point go into New York City or any Major city and give a Homeless man $20, watch where he goes.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Who didn't have a problem with her ideas? Who is they? Are liberals some kind of hive mind? :roll:

Also, I'm pretty sure leftists have always found Ayn Rand's philosophy to be morally bankrupt.

It's pretty obvious who I'm referring to when I say "They".
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

HAHAITHINKNOT

Arent you a Liberal?

Selfish because she felt giving money to alcoholics and drug addicts was a waste?

HAHAITHINKNOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 HAHAITHINKNOT

[QUOTE="HAHAITHINKNOT"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Just Wikipedia "Ayn Rand" to find the answers you're looking for.

Arent you a Liberal?

Snipes_2

Selfish because she felt giving money to alcoholics was a waste?

No, just in general.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 QuistisTrepe_

Her very ideology was the epitome of selfishness,

GreySeal9

This is the first accurate statement you've made in this thread.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] They blamed her support of Free Markets for the economic crisis and they called her "Selfish" :lol:Snipes_2

Arent you a Liberal?

Yes, I'm a liberal, but this discussion isn't about me, so let's not try to make it about me.

You put a little laughing emoticon after the notion that her ideology was selfish, which it was. Objectivism basically contends that selfishness is a virtue.

Also, what quotes from the Wikipedia article support the "free markets" bit? It'll take but a few seconds to post them.

Lastly, why are you trying to make this thread some thread a liberal bashfest.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="HAHAITHINKNOT"]Don't you think she was selfish?HAHAITHINKNOT

Selfish because she felt giving money to alcoholics was a waste?

No, just in general.

No, I don't think she was selfish. If I'm going to give someone free money I want to know that it was well spent.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Theokhoth

[

Arent you a Liberal?Snipes_2

Gee, what oh what could lead people to think she's selfish?

HAHAITHINKNOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 HAHAITHINKNOT

[QUOTE="HAHAITHINKNOT"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Selfish because she felt giving money to alcoholics was a waste?Snipes_2

No, just in general.

No, I don't think she was selfish. If I'm going to give someone free money I want to know that it was well spent.

:lol: Perfect, now I have you where I want you. Perhaps you'd like to read this?

edit: BAH THEOKHOTH ;[

Big-Shamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Big-Shamrock
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts
Because her ideology is perfect for immature teenagers. Plus, her books were so lame.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Her very ideology was the epitome of selfishness,

QuistisTrepe_

This is the first accurate statement you've made in this thread.

Yet Snipes thinks there is something deeply amusing at that assertion.

Also, which of by statements were not accurate. As far as I can remember, my others statements were opinions with no positive or negative truth value.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="bobaban"] So you think its fine to help the bum on the street that asks you for food money only to go spend it on booze? She has a point, some people aren't worthy of help.

bobaban

I would rather my money be taken by nine people faking their condition if the tenth turns out to be genuine. I'm sorry you have such a pessimistic outlook on life and humans in general, but innocent until proven guilty is good enough for the legal system and it's good enough for me.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Teenaged

bobaban

You'd think a homeless person would first make sure to eat (and then drink if he/she is alcoholic).

But maybe thats just me.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Arent you a Liberal?

Yes, I'm a liberal, but this discussion isn't about me, so let's not try to make it about me.

You put a little laughing emoticon after the notion that her ideology was selfish, which it was. Objectivism basically contends that selfishness is a virtue.

Also, what quotes from the Wikipedia article support the "free markets" bit? It'll take but a few seconds to post them.

Lastly, why are you trying to make this thread some thread a liberal bashfest.

1). What? I posted that liberals thought she was selfish, you said she was, so it would follow that you might be a liberal...

2). "he financial crisis of 2007–2010 spurred renewed interest in her works, especially Atlas Shrugged, which some saw as foreshadowing the crisis.[172] Conservative talk show hosts such as Glenn Beck,[173] Neal Boortz[174] and Rush Limbaugh[175] recommended the novel to their audiences, and opinion articles compared real-world events with the plot of the novel.[176] Signs mentioning Rand and her fictional hero John Galt appeared at Tea Party protests,[177] while the Cato Institute's Will Wilkinson quipped that "going Galt" had become the "libertarian-conservative's version of progressives threatening to move to Canada."[151] During this period there was also increased criticism of her ideas, especially from the political left, with critics blaming her support of selfishness and free markets for the economic crisis, particularly through her influence on Alan Greenspan.[178] For example, the left-leaning Mother Jones remarked that "Rand's particular genius has always been her ability to turn upside down traditional hierarchies and recast the wealthy, the talented, and the powerful as the oppressed",[151] while The Nation alleged similarities between the "moral syntax of Randianism" and fascism.[152]"

3). "Liberal Bashfest" :?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="HAHAITHINKNOT"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Selfish because she felt giving money to alcoholics was a waste?Snipes_2

No, just in general.

You obviously are not very familiar with her ideology, which states that selfishness is a virtue.

And you're strawmanning her argument. Weirdly, you're doing it in defense of her, but it's still a strawman.

Her argument wasn't that giving money to alcoholics is a waste.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Teenaged

[QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] The fact that you assume he's going to spend the money on booze says a whole lot. :roll:Snipes_2

I watched a Homeless man after he received some money. He went STRAIGHT to the Liquor store and came back with a brown bag full of alcohol, no joke. If anyone wants to prove this point go into New York City or any Major city and give a Homeless man $20, watch where he goes.

Which proves what?

And I see a lot of homeless people in Athens who make sure to first eat when they manage to get some money from passers by.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#143 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

had2be done

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Snipes_2

[ [QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Just Wikipedia "Ayn Rand" to find the answers you're looking for.

Arent you a Liberal?Theokhoth

Thanks, Now I can quote the book for you :)

""The Objectivist ethics proudly advocates and
upholds rational selfishness—which means: the
values required for man's survival qua man—
which means: the values required for human
survival—not the values produced by the desires,
the feelings, the whims or the needs of irrational
brutes, who have never outgrown the primordial
practice of human sacrifices.""It is not a mere semantic issue nor a matter of arbitrary choice. The
meaning ascribed in popular usage to the word "selfishness" is not merely
wrong: it represents a devastating intellectual "package-deal," which is
responsible, more than any other single factor, for the arrested moral
development of mankind.
In popular usage, the word "selfishness" is a synonym of evil; the image it
conjures is of a murderous brute who tramples over piles of corpses to
achieve his own ends, who cares for no living being and pursues nothing but
the gratification of the mindless whims of any immediate moment.
Yet the exact meaning and dictionary definition of the word "selfishness"
is: concern with one's own interests.
This concept does not include a moral evaluation; it does not tell us
whether concern with one's own interests is good or evil; nor does it tell us
what constitutes man's actual interests. It is the task of ethics to answer such
questions.
The ethics of altruism has created the image of the brute, as its answer, in
order to make men accept two inhuman tenets: (a) that any concern with
one's own interests is evil, regardless of what these interests might be, and
(b) that the brute's activities are in fact to one's own interest (which altruism
enjoins man to renounce for the sake of his neighbors).
For a view of the nature of altruism, its consequences and the enormity of
the moral corruption it perpetrates, I shall refer you to Atlas Shrugged—or to
any of today's newspaper headlines. What concerns us here is altruism's
default in the field of ethical theory."

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="bobaban"] Maybe you should go out in the real world and see how things really go down. It's nice to think all bums are saints that lost their way, but if you've actually spent a nanosecond downtown in a poverty stricken area you'll know that people can be weak, manipulative, and selfish. I've actually volunteered in these places, and it is not pretty. Innocent until proven guilty is for an ideal world, which this world clearly isn't.Teenaged

Which proves what?

And I see a lot of homeless people in Athens who make sure to first eat when they manage to get some money from passers by.

Okay...? Good for the homeless people of Athens? :?
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="HAHAITHINKNOT"]No, just in general.

GreySeal9

You obviously are not very familiar with her ideology, which states that selfishness is a virtue.

And you're strawmanning her argument. Weirdly, you're doing it in defense of her, but it's still a strawman.

Her argument wasn't that giving money to alcoholics is a waste.

Yes it was: ""not the values produced by the desires, the feelings, the whims or the needs of irrational brutes."
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[ [QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Just Wikipedia "Ayn Rand" to find the answers you're looking for.

upholds rational selfishness-which means: the
values required for man's survival qua man-
survival-not the values produced by the desires,
practice of human sacrifices.""

:lol: I swear, Snipes, you'd argue that St. Francis was a homosexual gypsy if the discussion got to that point.

HAHAITHINKNOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 HAHAITHINKNOT

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

What on earth are you doing; you're supposed to be denying that she's selfish, remember? :lol:

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Gee, what oh what could lead people to think she's selfish?

Theokhoth

:lol: I swear, Snipes, you'd argue that St. Francis was a homosexual gypsy if the discussion got to that point.

No I wouldn't. Because no Saint was a Homosexual..

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Gee, what oh what could lead people to think she's selfish?

HAHAITHINKNOT

What on earth are you doing; you're supposed to be denying that she's selfish, remember? :lol:

Did you even read the quote...