Attempted Coup Underway in Ankara, Turkey

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Turkish jets have flown over the capital and bridges over the Bosphorus have been closed after reports emerged that 'part' of the Turkish military have attempted a coup;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Dayum!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

lollllllllllll Erdogan

rekt

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Well that's a development that came out of the blue. Hopefully the absolute bare minimum are harmed during this.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

Reports from inside Ankara have stated that Erdogan is 'safe', the Lira plummets.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Man, the world is a powder keg ready to explode right now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I hope they're their to restore order and not make anything worse. Frankly I hated the Turkish politics of late, in their violent oppression of the Kurds, their passive resistance to Sunni extremists to travel through their airports and borders, their purchasing of black market oil, their attacks across the border on forces fighting ISIS, even rumors the government is training ISIS militants in Turkey. And just as much I hate the western powers for turning a blind eye to this because we need their airspace to reach Iraq, or because their a NATO ally. Seriously, **** them.

I hope the military is there to restore some semblance of secular order and not some arm of Sunni extremism in the area.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Starshine_M2A2

@lamprey263 said:

I hope they're their to restore order and not make anything worse. Frankly I hated the Turkish politics of late, in their violent oppression of the Kurds, their passive resistance to Sunni extremists to travel through their airports and borders, their purchasing of black market oil, their attacks across the border on forces fighting ISIS, even rumors the government is training ISIS militants in Turkey. And just as much I hate the western powers for turning a blind eye to this because we need their airspace to reach Iraq, or because their a NATO ally. Seriously, **** them.

I hope the military is there to restore some semblance of secular order and not some arm of Sunni extremism in the area.

See, this just makes the whole thing seem a lot less scary.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lamprey263

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@lamprey263 said:

maybe after the latest attack in France the Turkish military worried that if Turkey would be called out for being the staging operations of Islamic extremist attacks pouring out of their country into Europe that eventually Western powers would have enough and come with all their force to put an end to it themselves, so they preempted

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Starshine_M2A2

@lamprey263 said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@lamprey263 said:

maybe after the latest attack in France the Turkish military worried that if Turkey would be called out for being the staging operations of Islamic extremist attacks pouring out of their country into Europe that eventually Western powers would have enough and come with all their force to put an end to it themselves, so they preempted

It's tricky though because Erdogan is the first elected official they've had. So, in a way, the military is violating Turkey's democratic process.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Huh , Erdogon is seeking asylum from Germany , sounds he's running away

Edit : Germany said : Nein

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mjorh

Some sources claim Erdogon has escaped to Iran .....which seems unlikely .....that'd be interesting tho.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

2016 is turning into a fun year.

Wonder how it'll affect Turkish-American as well as Armenian-Turkish relations.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Gotta love the propaganda from both sides.

"We love democracy and are restoring order" "nuh-uh we love democracy even more and are restoring super extra order!"

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Reports from inside Ankara have stated that Erdogan is 'safe', the Lira plummets.

Damn that is a shame.. Erdogan is a grade A dbag that also bought cheap oil from ISIS..

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjorh

lmao look at him

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I reckon this has the hand of the west in it since the relation of this government with some radical Islam was a bit too dubious. My Turkish friends are happy but I fear this could bring chaos to the region and the last thing Europe needs right now is a convoluted Turkey.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@mjorh said:

lmao look at him

-_________- SMDH

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjorh

@the_master_race said:
@mjorh said:

lmao look at him

-_________- SMDH

That was fake tho lol (it's not his real account)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

What the hell is going on?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@mjorh said:

lmao look at him

-_________- SMDH

@realDenaldTrump

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@Pedro said:

What the hell is going on?

A Military coup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Turkey's constitution allows the military to stage a coup if they think the government is going too close to wacky Islamist territory. Basically, a reset button on the current government. Last one was in 1997.

And if you've been following Erdogan for the past 2-3 years this both isn't and is surprising. It isn't surprising because he's a crazy dictator making enemies with everyone and veering into Islamist territory, and it is surprising because for a while it has seemed like he's been packing the military with Yes Men and people loyal to him... I guess he thought wrong.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#24  Edited By GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Turkey does this like every 10 or so years lol. It's to prevent the extremists from gaining too much power and hurting civil liberties with Islamist laws. And obviously Erdogan is a power hungry Islamist. The only surprise is that this is happening despite all the drastic measures Erdogan has taken over the years to prevent this exact situation. I hope it succeeds and Erdogan's government gets rekt.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#25 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

We'll let you handle this one, Europe. Sincerley, the U.K.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@lamprey263 said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@lamprey263 said:

It's tricky though because Erdogan is the first elected official they've had. So, in a way, the military is violating Turkey's democratic process.

Well, of course, it's a coup. Still, I don't think being democratically elected here means much given the context of what I'm saying. That is, if he was elected by a Sunni supermajority, and has been acting as a passive agent of Sunni extremism in the region helping the proliferation of Sunni extremists by turning a blind eye to it, while proactively attacking the enemies of those Sunni extremists (i.e. the Kurds, the Russians)... I mean, I'd imagine the western powers would be happy to see him go.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Erdoğan: I'm still in control. The coup is small and won't last long....

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Woah. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out over there. Hopefully without too much violence.

Also what an unbelievable tweet by Trump. That is just so ridiculous. SMDH

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

well keeping things secular is good, no need for any more radical/extremist Sunni or Shiite muslims govt...just hope this is what it is. :P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@lamprey263 said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@lamprey263 said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Well, of course, it's a coup. Still, I don't think being democratically elected here means much given the context of what I'm saying. That is, if he was elected by a Sunni supermajority, and has been acting as a passive agent of Sunni extremism in the region helping the proliferation of Sunni extremists by turning a blind eye to it, while proactively attacking the enemies of those Sunni extremists (i.e. the Kurds, the Russians)... I mean, I'd imagine the western powers would be happy to see him go.

http://www.businessinsider.com/turkey-and-saudi-arabia-collaborating-in-syria-2015-5?IR=T

Sunni dominated Turkey and Saudi Arabia are officially collaborating to bring down non-Sunni Assad in Syria.

------------

https://www.rt.com/usa/326748-us-syria-intelligence-hersh/

The Turkish government has refused to halt the flow of foreign jihadists going through Turkey because President Erdogan “is dreaming big – of restoring the Ottoman Empire – and he did not realize the extent to which he could be successful in this.”

------------

http://www.businessinsider.com/bnd-report-on-saudi-arabias-power-struggle-2015-12

Germany's intelligence agency says Saudi Arabia's 'game of thrones' risks tearing the Middle East apart

"Old world" issues hasn't disappeared.

USA should kick out Turkey from F-35 JSF program.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@the_master_race said:

Huh , Erdogon is seeking asylum from Germany , sounds he's running away

Edit : Germany said : Nein

Hmmm..... And I thought Merkel and Erdogen were really lovers......

ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ScrollingLayers

Whoa...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

So let me get this straight. Donald Trump is saying that if he becomes president then the military will lead a coup to take the country back from him? That sounds about right. lmao

Edit: Oh wait, never mind. I just say that it was fake. It was good while it lasted though. lol

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

F-16 has a short un-refuel range and external tanks compromises bomb loads, hence USAF needs an airbase base near the conflict zone e.g. Turkey. F-35A will change this F-16 short range issue.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27253

Main points:

- Depending on the mission, the F-35 enjoys a 30-70 percent higher combat radius

- In Libya, operating from Crete, F-16 typically had to refuel several times - the F-35 would have done the whole mission without refueling

- In a similar full combat configuration F-35 cruises comfortably 10-15000 feet higher in MIL power than the F-16

- F-35 has a 50-80 kts higher cruising speed in this scenario

- F-16 needs full AB in order to turn at high altitude whereas F-35 can operate in MIL

- F-16 has to use AB to gain speed to extend missile range where as the F-35 cruises higher and faster and thus doesn't need to [though I'm sure it could be useful]

This is for Norway's POV.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/show-daily/farnborough/2016/07/12/report-f-35-would-have-italy-100m-euros-libya-farnborough/86979062/

Italy has similar view as Norway's.

With F-35A, Crete can be used as "land" aircraft carrier for Libya and Syria missions. Greek Cyprus can be used as an airbase for UK, France and Russia.

USA can reduce foreign Middle East military bases with F-35.

ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ScrollingLayers

Ataturk Airport, 2016.

Tiananmen Square, 1989.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Holy crap! LMAO

Erdogan is a piece of shit anyway. What he gets for supporting ISIS. Now his ISIS friends are on the streets to take down tanks and fighter jets!

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@ad1x2: Lol fooled me until you point that out. Man, Trump haters are so radical.

But the funny thing is that as a Trump supporter you were still able to BELIEVE it! Why do you support him again? He just added a total anti-gay rights VP.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mark1974

@magicalclick: You've said you are for Trump in the past. Are you still? Or are you saying "what?" because of the VP (vice president) part. I need more details about your confusion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mjorh

@magicalclick: i already said it was fake.

Admit it, it was easy to believe :D

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

We are in some shit, on this planet !!!!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gaming-Planet
@drunk_pi said:

2016 is turning into a fun year.

Year of total chaos!

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#44 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

It's starting to sound like the coup is going to fail. This would just about completely solidify Erdogan's power. A bunch of soldiers have seemingly been arrested.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@GamerForca said:

It's starting to sound like the coup is going to fail. This would just about completely solidify Erdogan's power. A bunch of soldiers have seemingly been arrested.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mark1974

@magicalclick said:

@mark1974: Huh? You mean I should be afraid of Denold Trump? Hack no.

His VP vs the crashing world? I am not afraid of his VP. But, I am afraid of the world crashing right now.

No you should definitely not be afraid of Denold Trump. LOL. But shouldn't the fact that you could believe that the real Donald Trump said this give you pause in supporting him? I personally think Trump being elected is the most likely and plausible reason for "the world to crash right now."

His VP would have you put in jail if he had his way. Which thankfully the people would not stand for.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gaming-Planet

I've arrived with some goodies.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51