Attempted Coup Underway in Ankara, Turkey

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Coup forces on the bridge and elsewhere surrendering to the fucking Islamic leaning government.

Feel bad for these guys, they're going to be put in prison, tortured and murdered when this bastard cracks down.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Messed up.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts
@magicalclick said:

@mark1974: Ok, take care.

You too my friend.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@magicalclick said:

@mark1974: Ok, take care.

You too my friend.

Whatcha drinking tonight?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#107 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@scrollinglayers said:

Feel bad for these guys, they're going to be put in prison, tortured and murdered when this bastard cracks down.

Erdogan wants an Islamic State. Like what Putin said last year, Allah will judge and punish Turkey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#108 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@scrollinglayers said:

Erdogan wants an Islamic State. Like what Putin said last year, Allah will judge and punish Turkey.

Allah has done such a good job cracking down on fascist dictators in his countries......

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#109  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Couldn't believe they showed that part on bridge live and military just shooting at them and saw them just go down.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

I've seen numerous reports stating that civilians took to the streets to express their support for the Erdogan government. However, I haven't seen even one report stating that any civilians took to the streets to confront Erdogan supporters or to show support for the coup plotters.

Does Erdogan have the whole country in his thrall, in spite of authoritarian activities like cracking down on critical newspapers and subverting the constitution to grant himself ever more power?

Or has he already become such a tyrant that his domestic political opponents fear him too much to voice support for a coup?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

That sure was wiped out quickly. Amazing to me they tried if that's all they had. These guys just sacrificed everything when it appears they had no chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#112 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

I've seen numerous reports stating that civilians took to the streets to express their support for the Erdogan government. However, I haven't seen even one report stating that any civilians took to the streets to confront Erdogan supporters or to show support for the coup plotters.

Does Erdogan have the whole country in his thrall, in spite of authoritarian activities like cracking down on critical newspapers and subverting the constitution to grant himself ever more power?

Or has he already become such a tyrant that his domestic political opponents fear him too much to voice support for a coup?

His people love him just like Assad. Has at least a 135% approval rating.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#114 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

that country is screwed now, the last remnants there to check Sunni extremism are out, they have nukes, a blind eye on them from NATO members, and a mandate to subversively support ISIS

it really fucking bugs me though the western world and the news is finding relief that the coup was squashed, it needed to happen and things could get a lot worse now

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6939 Posts

@lamprey263: Turkey is not a nuclear power.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Stesilaus

@scrollinglayers said:

“This attempt, this move, is a great favor from God to us. Why? Because this move will allow us to clean up the armed forces, which need to be completely clean.”

Erdogan, speaking about the coup attempt.

(Quotation from this MSN/NYT article.)

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#117 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Half a year from now any Turks who don't wanna wear burkha's & live modern lives will be regretting this failed coup.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#118 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@Skarwolf: Agreed. Erdogan now has free reign to impose whatever Islamist laws he wants. He's a true tyrant now, if he wasn't already. I feel like he knew the coup was coming, was confident of defeating it, and just let it happen so he could finish rooting out all the secular officers and generals. And the people opposing him are too scared to do anything about it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#119 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

@lamprey263: Turkey is not a nuclear power.

my mistake, still doesn't make the situation any less dire considering where things are headed

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I like how Anderson Cooper put it (paraphrasing): "This guys failed Coup 101. The first thing you do is take the head of state."

Now, it is certainly possible that the coup group leaders chose this time to make their move precisely because Erdogan was out in vacation, but I certainly got a chuckle out of it.

The Return of the Erdogan!

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

I find it sad that alot of you seems happy hoping to see the country falls into yet another destructive civil war, havent you seen enough pointless wars in the middle east?

I'm glad the coup failed (i have the briefest idea on the political situation in Turkey so i'm neutral as to how it is in Turkey) but it is a democratically elected government. Do you all seriously believe that even if the coup somehow succeed in some capacity, the country will simply like "ALRIGHT RESET! Lets start over guys and it will all be peachy?" I'm not really sure how Erdogan gets in power or stays, but apparently hes pretty damn popular so he must have a lot of supporters from powerful people in Turkey.

Are you guys that deluded? Make the traitors pay, I know for sure some honest police officers went to work that night leaving their families behind and will never see them again coz some morons tried to make a gamble with the fate of millions.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

Dude, Erdogoan is the Sultan/Caliph of the entire Muslim world. People in Turkey worship him. The only thing is, he has a stiff competition with Kamal's rotting corpse.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Stesilaus

@rollermint said:

... it is a democratically elected government.

So was the government of Ukraine that was deposed in a US-State-Department-orchestrated coup in 2014.

It's strange that that coup was good, while the attempted one in Turkey was bad.

One could be forgiven for concluding that democracy actually has ****-all to do with it and that the "goodness" or "badness" of a coup is determined by whether it suits the interests of the US and the EU.

Icarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124 Icarian
Member since 2004 • 2188 Posts

So, suddenly people seem to hate democracy here. It's really funny that democracy is only good when it agrees with you. You may hate Erdogan as much as you want, but he was democratically voted in, so this coup was illegal and against democracy. If you want to get rid of Erdogan, then vote someone else in in the next election. That's how it works. Only time when coup could be legal is when there is no elections.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#125 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I no it said Turkish army tried taking over but on camera they looked white a lot of them or was that just the lighting?. What nationality where they?.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

This was no coup..

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GamerForca

@Icarian: Yeah, vote out the guy who controls the media, has purged the police and military so that most everybody with a gun is on his side, throws people in jail for criticizing him, cracks down on protests with violence, intimidates people at the voting booths, and continues to expand the powers of his presidency.

Yeah, all they have to do is vote him out. It's easy.

Icarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128 Icarian
Member since 2004 • 2188 Posts

@GamerForca: It seems that the majority of Turks like Erdogan and how he runs things, so I don't see a problem there. That's democracy. Next election will be in 2019, maybe then Turks will vote someone else, if not, Erdogan will be gone in 24.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 GamerForca

@Icarian: You could say the same of many tyrants. The problem is how he runs things. If you're not a heterosexual devout Muslim male, bad things are in store for you.

Also, with how rapidly he is expanding his powers, it's unlikely he'll be gone in 24 barring health issues. He's not a president of Turkey in the same sense that Obama is the president of the US. The president of Turkey is mostly a symbolic title in the first place (with the PM holding the real power), so he's not even supposed to be this powerful to begin with.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Stesilaus

@Icarian said:

You may hate Erdogan as much as you want, but he was democratically voted in, so this coup was illegal and against democracy.

Syria's Bashar al Assad was also elected democratically, but that hasn't stopped Erdogan from playing a major, material role in the attempts to depose him.

If Erdogan doesn't respect Assad's presidency, then why should anybody respect Erdogan's?

More bluntly: If Erdogan is willing to use force to depose or murder Assad, then why should Erdogan be exempt from coup/assassination attempts?

Something about living by the sword ...

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I just read that Erdogan's campaign manager and his teenage son are among the people killed at the Bosphorous bridge. They were with the group of brainwashed religious right wing lunatics that "spontaneously" got together to fight the army with bare hands.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@Icarian said:

So, suddenly people seem to hate democracy here. It's really funny that democracy is only good when it agrees with you. You may hate Erdogan as much as you want, but he was democratically voted in, so this coup was illegal and against democracy. If you want to get rid of Erdogan, then vote someone else in in the next election. That's how it works. Only time when coup could be legal is when there is no elections.

Yeah and then again as an American I'm certainly not opposed to revolutions either. We wouldn't be here without one. Nonetheless, I'm not getting involved in Turkey's affairs. If that's what they want.....they can have it. If it bites them in the ass....so be it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@magicalclick said:

It is sad the world is getting more and more dangerous. I am glad the bloodshed is contained. But, still feel sad that, violence has to be the solution of their problems. People are very unhappy and they are getting desperate. Not sure what's really going on in Turkey, I am just glad I don't live there to experience this.

If it makes you feel any better violence isn't new.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@magicalclick said:

It is sad the world is getting more and more dangerous. I am glad the bloodshed is contained. But, still feel sad that, violence has to be the solution of their problems. People are very unhappy and they are getting desperate. Not sure what's really going on in Turkey, I am just glad I don't live there to experience this.

Every single year, the chances of you getting killed in any way, or having an assault perpetrated upon you, keep lowering. The world going to shit argument does not hold much merit in my eyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@magicalclick said:

Every single year, the chances of you getting killed in any way, or having an assault perpetrated upon you, keep lowering. The world going to shit argument does not hold much merit in my eyes.

It's not just a feeling but we have statistics to back it up that this is the most peaceful time in human history.. Third world countries for instance in the past 40 years have had staggering improvements in life expectancy and quality of life, regardless of things like this happening (that have happened countless times throughout human history).... The problem is the information coverage we get compared back to decades earlier..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@magicalclick said:

@sSubZerOo: Nice spins while refugees are created and bombing happens more often.

... And? Are you trying to tell me terrible things haven't happened through out history?? Human history is violent, it is flat out ignorance to some how think these are some how "new" things that have happened.. How does this compare to the World Wars? Or the Influenza epidemic of 1919 that claimed 75 million people world wide? This shit doesn't even come close on the radar of bad things that have happened in the past 100 years, let alone all of human history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@magicalclick said:

@hillelslovak: Hmmmm..... That's your personal opinion.

Or facts, whatever

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/12/the_world_is_not_falling_apart_the_trend_lines_reveal_an_increasingly_peaceful.html

https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Crime-statistics/International_Statistics_on_Crime_and_Justice.pdf

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#144 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

I agree that while we hear about quite a few bad things happening these days it doesn't compare to the numerous bad things that have occurred throughout history.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#146  Edited By Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

According to various sources Erdogan had his list of people to be arrested made up before the coup.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Skarwolf said:

According to various sources Erdogan had his list of people to be arrested made up before the coup.

You don't need sources to figure that out. 2000+ judges arrested the following day? It's the kind of stuff Milosevic did, I hope Erdogan ends up like him, or better yet, like Ceausescu.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

All the political wags are saying this is a false flag so secularists can be purged from the government. Not tin foil hat guys either, actual legit commenters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@jdiggle said:

Too bad Erdogan won. Were any of you guys also hoping the coup would succeed?

... It looks like it was largely facilitated to give the asshole a excuse to purge the government of secular opposition.. We are literally seeing the country radicalize under this asshole under the guise of quelling a supposed uprising. Man what great "allies" the United States government keeps.