Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
@RageQuit4Life said:

Lol, I don't get you people. Do you even think deeper about there is a possibility of intelligent designer that made this universe? I mean, Earth is designed perfectly for humans to live on Foods and water are there prepared for us to eat and drink? There are foods with nutrients that meet our needs to survive. We got brains and conscience to think with. Penis and vagina to reproduce. There is oxygen for us to breath with. Too perfect for us to be came from "nothingness". Don't forget that Jesus has been proved to be real, he's a historical figure. Go figure.

@RageQuit4Life said:

We got brains and conscience to think with. Penis and vagina to reproduce. There is oxygen for us to breath with. Too perfect for us to be came from "nothingness".

@RageQuit4Life said:

We got brains and conscience to think with

Well, some of us do
Drop the Bible
Pick up a physics text book
And learn how our Earth came to be
"Perfection" took 4.5 billion years

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By chaoscougar1

Also
My thoughts

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

In a debate I merely point out that one can neither prove nor disprove. Which is true.

Ok cool. But its not really on us non believers to disprove god. Its on the other party's shoulders to affirm the positive.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

'Meh...'

If god would condemn me for following my own life philosophies, then he's just a dick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#105 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@chaoscougar1: That's a great quote and I agree with the sentiment =)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

In a debate I merely point out that one can neither prove nor disprove. Which is true.

Ok cool. But its not really on us non believers to disprove god. Its on the other party's shoulders to affirm the positive.

Wrong. It's on anyone that makes a statement either/or.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not really. Its understandable to assume that certain things PROBABLY don't exist given the lack of evidence to support their existence. It would be a waste of time for me to ask you to prove to me that unicorns don't exist. I know you couldn't. The myriad of permutations to this line of thinking is endless.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Ya know, there's the option of not caring and just moving on.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Just wanted to say the low level of all these arguments shows how greatly OT has decayed.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I'd be surprised (? not sure what it would be like to feel surprise outside of my physical form), but no use arguing with God. I'd just go with the flow.

If this being created the entire universe then there probably wouldn't be any use in trying to argue or match intellect.

EDIT: Ironic, with my post count ... I'm in a topic about God/hell!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Meinhard1 said:

I'd be surprised (? not sure what it would be like to feel surprise outside of my physical form), but no use arguing with God. I'd just go with the flow.

If this being created the entire universe then there probably wouldn't be any use in trying to argue or match intellect.

EDIT: Ironic, with my post count ... I'm in a topic about God/hell!

it's a sign

Be gone demon

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By commander

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789: The difference between a belief and the lack of belief is not semantics. You are demonstrating a lack of understanding of basic reality.

Also, "lack" is not an adverb. Remember that dictionary I told you to get....?

Anyway, you have yet to explain why it is illogical for someone not to believe something for which there is no evidence.

Well it can be used as a verb, don't tell me I should get a dictionary, people understand very well what I'm saying, you're focussing on details to avoid the subject. Maybe we can communicate in my mother tongue, see how far you get

I never used the word 'illogical'

It's irrational to dismiss 2000 years of history completely. There's no evidence that god doesn't exist either. If we know about the better part of the universe and manage to control life or death, then we can say such things, not before that. We don't have the power nor the knowledge to make these assumptions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

If the Christian God is what I understand him to be, he will judge me for what I've done in my life, and now whether or not I've been Christian. Being a good person wins out over following flawed religious rites.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts
@evildead6789 said:

But the common ancestor was still a monkey

We're monkey's , it's as clear as day

No, we are more closely related to apes than monkeys.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@RageQuit4Life said:

Lol, I don't get you people. Do you even think deeper about there is a possibility of intelligent designer that made this universe? I mean, Earth is designed perfectly for humans to live on Foods and water are there prepared for us to eat and drink? There are foods with nutrients that meet our needs to survive. We got brains and conscience to think with. Penis and vagina to reproduce. There is oxygen for us to breath with. Too perfect for us to be came from "nothingness". Don't forget that Jesus has been proved to be real, he's a historical figure. Go figure.

We evolved around the constraints of our environment, not vice-versa. Of course life would only evolve where it was possible to do so. That our environment is nurturing to us is expected when it is the very environment that we have evolved to live within.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 commander

@br0kenrabbit said:
@evildead6789 said:

all the same bs

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I live my life as a good person, pulling my weight, doing unto others and all that. I would have no regrets. Should the invisible man in the sky condemn me for missing the role call, I would rather not hang out with such a petty deity anyways.

Would rather spend my life believing people are full of potential and inherently good, and that this is more than a test instead of believing that people are without meaning and inherently bad without some ancient book to give them a moral compass they should (yet frequently don't) have anyways.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#119 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If we are talking about the Abrahamic God of the Old Testament, I would actively reject it's authority and accept my place in Hell. That character is despicable.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not really. Its understandable to assume that certain things PROBABLY don't exist given the lack of evidence to support their existence. It would be a waste of time for me to ask you to prove to me that unicorns don't exist. I know you couldn't. The myriad of permutations to this line of thinking is endless.

If you can't prove it....then don't pretend to do so.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@XilePrincess said:

I'm agnostic. I don't know what's out there and don't care either way.

If there is a god and he sends good people to hell simply because they didn't believe in him and accept him as their savior, then I'd like no part of that. Any god that vain is not one I'd like to believe in, and any god who would allow crappy people into heaven just because they believe is ridiculous.

A lot of people love to say this, but I don't get it.

What is a good person? Do you get to pick who is a good person? You and me might both look at John Doe and come away with different interpretations. I say John is a scum for not volunteering his time at the local food kitchen. You say John is great because he spends time with his mother in the nursing home. So who gets to pick if John goes to hell or heaven? To avoid it being subjective we must allow God to choose. Well if God says John is a dick for not worshiping and spreading the good news of the Bible, then who are we to say otherwise? If God sets the rules for who is "good" then it really doesn't matter what you like or think is fair.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@limpbizkit818 said:

@XilePrincess said:

If there is a god and he sends good people to hell simply because they didn't believe in him and accept him as their savior, then I'd like no part of that. Any god that vain is not one I'd like to believe in, and any god who would allow crappy people into heaven just because they believe is ridiculous.

What is a good person? Do you get to pick who is a good person? You and me might both look at John Doe and come away with different interpretations. I say John is a scum for not volunteering his time at the local food kitchen. You say John is great because he spends time with his mother in the nursing home. So who gets to pick if John goes to hell or heaven? To avoid it being subjective we must allow God to choose. Well if God says John is a dick for not worshiping and spreading the good news of the Bible, then who are we to say otherwise? If God sets the rules for who is "good" then it really doesn't matter what you like or think is fair.

Well, for one, belief in God as a necessary factor to enter heaven is already a poor reason to begin with, and I don't think agnostics need to explain that.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@one_plum said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

@XilePrincess said:

Well, for one, belief in God as a necessary factor to enter heaven is already a poor reason to begin with, and I don't think agnostics need to explain that.

Why is it a poor reason? Are there people that don't believe in God yet believe in heaven/hell after death? What is in Heaven if not God?

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@limpbizkit818 said:

@one_plum said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

Why is it a poor reason? Are there people that don't believe in God yet believe in heaven/hell after death? What is in Heaven if not God?

I'm assuming you mean heaven simply as a place to be with God and not as a place that merely rewards people deemed virtuous because they believe in God. If that's the case, then going to hell isn't a big deal unless if your interpretation of hell as a place to punish non-believers with eternal suffering.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Such a loving and caring god that has people worship him/her out of fear.... Get real... Science has proven religion wrong on so many fronts that the ones it hasn't yet doesn't even matter. If there truly IS a god... a heaven and a hell. If you TRULY believe that only Christians and other people that believe EXACTLY what you believe are the ONLY ones going to heaven.... you need to think about that for a second. You are ok with a god that condemns others to hell for having different beliefs regardless of how good of a person they may be?

I love a good fairy tale as much as the next person, but believing that you (in a religion smaller than others worldwide) are right and others are wrong is ignorant.

If there is a god, I believe morals and clean living will get you in the doors if heaven does exist.... after all, religion is nothing more than a set of moral standards.

Throughout what I say there are many "if's" however, I can start going through facts if you would like... actually, no, I'm not going there. Religion is a good thing most of the time... it served a purpose before formal laws and these days it is good for social acceptance in some social circles.

Bottom line? Let me ask YOU a question... God knows all right? So, that means he/she/it knows whether or not you are going to hell before you are even born ;) Free will doesn't matter if we all have a fate. Which if you believe in formal religion you DO believe in Fate, because you believe god knows everything.... right? Or is this god not perfect? In which case... IF GOD is not perfect then what makes you think that teachings and writing passed through thousands of years have not been so misconstrued by this point that they may not even RESEMBLE the original stories if they ever happened at all....

How were the mental states of those writing? How about status? I'll stop here... and I wont reply back... super religious types could have the proof that disproves religion fall from the sky and knock them out and they wouldn't quit believing... Religion... while causing many wars, stops even more ;)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 foxhound_fox
@WitIsWisdom said:

[... ] (in a religion smaller than others worldwide) [...]

I don't feel like commenting on the rest of it, but Christianity is the largest religion in the world. Islam is second. Hinduism is third. Buddhism is fourth.

All others pale in comparison.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#127 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

We didn't evolved from monkeys, we share a common ancestor.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 WitIsWisdom

@foxhound_fox said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

I don't feel like commenting on the rest of it, but Christianity is the largest religion in the world. Islam is second. Hinduism is third. Buddhism is fourth.

Christianity is broken into over 20 different sections and people these days seem to think they can bend the rules of traditional Christianity on a whim... Islam has 2... and most others are traditionally just one. Go ahead and delve into the rest of it.. since you seem to know so much about the unknown.

Those that are non religious (atheists make up 16%) making them the largest SINGLE sector.... sorry... but you are wrong.

You want to look at the "overall picture" then go right ahead. That doesn't change facts...

but please as I said before.... do comment on the rest.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:
@evildead6789 said:

all the same bs

No it isn't, which is why that picture is from a movie called Planet of the Apes

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@chaoscougar1 said:

Also

My thoughts

Well put by my man Marcus.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

The purpose of religion is to control yourself,

and not to criticise others.

Atheist too should not criticise or judge others,

just like what Communism did.

BlackGenjii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 12

#132 BlackGenjii
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

@Blizz87 said:
Anyway, my question is for non believers. What would be your reaction when you die and realize that God and Jesus are very real and so is heaven and hell? For the sake of argument, none of the other "Gods" that other cultures believe in exist. There is only one God and his son Jesus.

Would you repent for your sins, and or mocking God on earth etc or accept your fate of going to hell?

Personally, I would rather live my life on earth believing and worshiping God, rather than die non believing and end up in hell forever. But that's just MY belief.

I myself believe there is only one God and I also believe in his son Jesus, but I don't quite understand your question you have for non-believers;

are you saying that people who didn't believe in God or Jesus when they died are all going to Hell? because if so that's not the case with every non-believer.

Lets say you were someone who as a child was sexually abused by a person who claimed to be Godly and a follower of Christ.

Now lets say that, because you grew up being told that God hated you and that the reason why you were sexually abused as a child is because God was punishing you, now an adult don't only NOT believe in God or his son but also hate them.

Do you think in this scenario that God would let this person go to Hell all because they were led away from him and because they're image of God, since they were born, has been mutilated? I for one don't think so.

It is CLEARLY stated in the bible in Gods very own words "The sins of the child who is led away from me are not held on that child, they (the sins they commit that is) are held on the person who led them away from me... I (God) do not forget what has been done to my children".

So yes, what God said there, which is right in the Bible, clearly states that just because you don't live for God or believe in him doesn't mean that you will go to Hell because you didn't believe in him before you died.

And besides the point, When Jesus returns to earth to bring his people to Heaven (anyone who lives for God and Jesus is one of his people) he will raise those who did not believe or live for him from their graves and will give them all a second chance.

God and his son are very merciful, and they would not let someone who didn't know them or who was living a sinful life because of pain they went through go to Hell.

When it comes to child abuse, you would be very surprised to see what God and Jesus have to say about pedophiles;

one of those things being this and I quiet God here when I say this "It would be better to tie a millstone around your neck and hoist yourself to the bottom of the see than to hurt one of my children".

God also mentioned in the Bible how pedophiles disgust him so much that he cant even stand to look at them.

And Jesus said in the Book of Revelations "For those who commit deviltry their names are not written in the book of life" pedophiles commit deviltry, so therefor they can not go to Heaven.

Since you say you are Godly you SHOULD be able to understand the things I said.

And hopefully you truly studied your Bible before you wrote this forum.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@thegerg said:

@wis3boi said:

@Xsan3 said:

Personally, I'm a christian - but I respect those who don't really believe. What really bothers me though, is how the Atheists preach about how absolutely certain they are that a God doesn't exist.

this is the common misconception that really upsets and baffles atheists, including myself. It's a strawman that makes it seem like the non-believer is just as crazy. Do I know no gods exist? No. Further define your god, like...the abrahamic god? Yeah, I'm sure that god doesn't exist.

No one (well, no one other than that evildead nutso) is saying that it's crazy or irrational not to believe in a god. What is irrational, though, is to try to claim with any kind of certainty that no god exists.

you just restated exactly what I just said

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Faith is Poison to Logic

and Logic is Poison to Faith.

Its a paradox because this statement is both Faith and Logic.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

What about this? It's amazing that around 4000 years ago that Bible is written and keeping it itself accurate. Don't forget, modern science and bible's definition is not exactly same, Bible is designed for many centuries to understand.

Check it out: 101 Scientific Facts & Foreknowledge

Prepared to be amazed.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 RageQuit4Life

@chaoscougar1 said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

We got brains and conscience to think with. Penis and vagina to reproduce. There is oxygen for us to breath with. Too perfect for us to be came from "nothingness".

@RageQuit4Life said:

Well, some of us do

Drop the Bible

So are you saying we came from nothingness? xD

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Blizz87: Besides all that Christian-Jesus babble, what you're really asking is if people feel sorry for the times they act like douchebags, and if in the presence of a being that could grant them eternal happiness, would they apologize for the times they acted like douchebags? In this context, I don't think anybody would disagree with your message.

Religions are essentially all the same thing. They have their own special words and names for everything, but the message is universally the same -- Don't be an asshole. If you're an asshole, you're going to spend the afterlife with the rest of the assholes. If you're not an asshole, or if you tried your hardest to not be an asshole, then you'll spend the afterlife with the the decent folk.

This God you believe in -- based on the teachings of the Bible -- isn't concerned about people attending church every Sunday and making grand sacrifices for the sake of making sacrifices. The God you pledge allegiance to -- like all gods people identify with -- is only concerned with people doing their best to not make other people miserable. If there is a grand kingdom in the clouds, I plan on living my life in a way that makes me confident to stand at the gates of any god and say I've done my best. And that if that god truly has some kind of eternal, unconditional love, that should be enough.

Discussion over.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@Blizz87: I look at it like this. People believe that life exists elsewhere. So it would be safe to assume that considering how old the universe is other civilizations would be progressing as is ours but not safe to assume the same time frame so they would be more evolved somewhere so why is it we haven't seen any space trash from other civilizations. As I say does the earth spin or does the universe spin around the earth considering that the earth is considered to be the center of the universe. And this concept of time. Time does not exist. Time remains the same. God is not going to visit as he wants you to have faith. There is a difference in saying you have faith and believing. If you have faith you do not worry or stress out. As soon as you worry you have proven you have no faith. And I mean all the time not just when it's convenient. God said he wouldn't flood the earth again but it's going to happen another way. Actually it's already happening. I wont say what it is but I'm sure your smart enough to figure it out. There is a transition happening and it's all part of the self destruction of man kind.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By chaoscougar1

@RageQuit4Life said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

Well, some of us do

Drop the Bible

So are you saying we came from nothingness? xD

Yep
Where do you believe Gods intervention took place?
Big Bang? Creation of stars? Galaxies? ...more stars? Planets? Life?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

"You know what I'm gonna tell God when I see him? I'm gonna tell him I was framed."

Anyhow, TC, what's to say the same thing won't happen to you?

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 RageQuit4Life

@chaoscougar1
said:

Yep

God* He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He didn't come from anywhere. He has always existed. Yeah, He made everything.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By chaoscougar1

@RageQuit4Life said:
@chaoscougar1 said:

Yep

God* He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He didn't come from anywhere. He has always existed. Yeah, He made everything.

*God's
Once again, he made everything in the sense that he plunked a bunch of galaxies down full of stars and planets
Orrrrr
He just provided guidance a la Patrick Swayze in Ghost
And so the trillions of other stars and galaxies are for our viewing pleasure as the chosen peoples?

Also, with that line of thinking
The always existing thing brings about quite the paradox as technically he waited an infinite amount of time before creating our universe
Plus the whole time and space were only created with the Big Bang
Its quite the conundrum

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 foxhound_fox

@WitIsWisdom said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Christianity is broken into over 20 different sections and people these days seem to think they can bend the rules of traditional Christianity on a whim... Islam has 2... and most others are traditionally just one. Go ahead and delve into the rest of it.. since you seem to know so much about the unknown.

Those that are non religious (atheists make up 16%) making them the largest SINGLE sector.... sorry... but you are wrong.

You want to look at the "overall picture" then go right ahead. That doesn't change facts...

but please as I said before.... do comment on the rest.

Christianity has over 2 billion followers. Just because they have over 22,000 denominations doesn't make them any less "Christian". Hindus have a different interpretation of what "God/Atman/Brahman" is for each of their 1.1 billion individual followers. Doesn't make them any less "Hindu".

The majority of people in the world are religious.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Blizz87 said:

Anyway, my question is for non believers. What would be your reaction when you die and realize that God and Jesus are very real and so is heaven and hell? For the sake of argument, none of the other "Gods" that other cultures believe in exist. There is only one God and his son Jesus.

Would you repent for your sins, and or mocking God on earth etc or accept your fate of going to hell?

Personally, I would rather live my life on earth believing and worshiping God, rather than die non believing and end up in hell forever. But that's just MY belief.

Well, if I died and was faced with a reality, hey.....that's reality and I'd have to accept it. But I would hope that any God would not be so vengeful and petty as the one you allude to, and would treasure highest of all people that didn't adhere to strict dogma and base their actions in life contingent upon fear, guilt, shame, and the prospect of eternal reward, but instead those that had the moral and intellectual fortitude and courage to question everything that came their way and come to their own conclusions about life's journey instead of having it dictated to them out of an ancient book.

Life is far, far too beautiful and magnificent a thing to be the product of such a pathetic being. I look around at the world, and in my mind there's simply no possible way something so breathtakingly amazing could arise from something so draconian and petty. Does not compute. And if it is, then existence is a sick, cruel joke.

Aside, I've never understood Christians. They say I have "free will" to accept or reject salvation. This is false. I can't "choose" to believe in anything in life, I just do. My beliefs are the product of many factors: my genetics, my living situation, parents and upbringing, the people I've met, my education, geography.....all of the experiences I've gone through. They all mix together and bring me to where I am today. It's not that I don't wish to believe in a God, it's that from what I've lived I can't. Knowing what I do, I couldn't force myself to believe in Santa Claus if my life depended on it, and I'm unable to bring myself to believe in a personal God in such a way either. Don't know if you realize this but there are many people out there who desire to believe in God but can't. Not choose not to, but literally cannot. There was a period in my life in my early twenties where I mourned pretty heavily because I wished for their to be a loving God but everything I saw and experienced smashed that idea into dust.

Why do the religious think I have this choice? People speak of free will as if it's some tool that exists in a vacuum with nothing else considered when it's put into practice. It ain't that simple. Really, if I came face to face with God and He was about to cast me down, I could say nothing, because there was no option in me. I suppose I would not say a word and have to accept my fate. And would I repent for my sins? Well, I don't believe in the concept of sin, in fact I find that people think the Almighty could hold such stupid and pathetically meager behaviors as justification for an eternity of torture (hell, just being BORN is enough) utterly ludicrous and contemptible, not to mention extremely humorous. There is no greater degree of egocentrism and arrogance than for one to believe that they hold the ability to offend such a supreme being. It is easily the highest degree of narcissism. Original sin, IMO, is a hugely detrimental reflective statement of the creator that does nothing but go to show further how man-made religion truly is.

I'm sorry to break it to you.....you are not that important in the scheme of creation, and neither am I. If there is a God, trust me....I think it's safe to assume He does not care that you stole a cookie from the cookie jar when you were six.

I hope one day TC you'll find better reason to "believe" than a poor man's wager. And I'll flip that question to you and would like to hear your thoughts: what would be your reaction if you woke up tomorrow and were forced to realize that you have been living and basing your life on false premise? A highly romanticized fiction? Have you even humored that possibility?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@kuu2: I think that's one of the saddest statements I've read in a while.

Blizz87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Blizz87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Honestly science just doesn't make sense in regards to creation. A random big explosion created the earth and made it perfect for humans and animals to live on?? We all evolved from apes??? If that was the case, apes would have evolved into humans by now. And people who believe that laugh at people who believe in God? Give me a break, that's more far fetched than anything I seen or read.

The reason I KNOW God is real is because of some experiences I seen in my life as well as friends and family.

For example, a family friend who had a rare cancer was told by doctors she had maybe 2 weeks to live. She is a Christian, and still faithfully went to church, and helped others in her everyday life. Many people prayed for her. 2 weeks later she goes back to he doctor, and the cancer is completely gone. The doctors were dumbfounded and couldn't explain it at all. Science didn't her save or life nor was it luck. That was God PERIOD.

Another instance, is a story that's well known in my area. One family's child drowned in a pool and was declared DEAD by doctors for at least 25-30 mins. Then a pastor got there and everyone prayed. After that prayer that child started breathing again. Again, science nor luck had anything to do with that. That's just miracles and signs from the man upstairs.

So yea, I dig science and all but God is clearly real and I chose to serve him. And what people fail to realize is that the Christian life isn't boring. You can have fun, just not like wild sex, drugs, and what not.

God only requires that you acknowledge that his son Jesus died for all out sins, so that we all can live external life.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@wis3boi said:

this is the common misconception that really upsets and baffles atheists, including myself. It's a strawman that makes it seem like the non-believer is just as crazy. Do I know no gods exist? No. Further define your god, like...the abrahamic god? Yeah, I'm sure that god doesn't exist.

I don't get it. Why do you think that you're able to ascertain that the Abrahamic God does not exist while at the same time you lose that certainty with the general issue of the existence of God?

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#148  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

It's harder to believe in something than not to believe in something. It requires effort and faith. It seems like for any evidence you find supporting something, there is always two claims of evidence denying it.

I prefer to have a little faith since it's harder of the two. This is of course logically incorrect but I live all facets of my life by logic, it would seem like. So when it comes to beliefs I prefer to believe in something bigger than myself and everything else on the world, not just some cosmic coincidence.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@XilePrincess said:

Though, OP, what you're saying is you'd rather believe in and worship something you see lots of contrived evidence for and some unexplainable phenomenons ("It's a miracle I'm alive!") to support as a safety net in case there is a god. You're the do-all-your-homework-in-case-the-teacher-wants-to-mark-it-today kid for a teacher who has never once collected homework.

Therein lies the problem. You're not believing because you want to believe (think Santa Claus or the Easter bunny), you're believing because you're scared of what might happen if you don't. Parents apply this to children regularly. If you're not good, Santa brings you coal instead of presents. If you try to catch the tooth fairy, she'll never bring you money or treats for your teeth again. They scare their kids into good behavior because the kids don't want to have the bad thing happen to them that has been threatened.

Coal is the same thing as hell, on a level comprehensible to children. I went to bible day camp and Sunday school as a kid. They make very sure to mention that if you don't get saved you'll be swimming in a lake of fire for eternity and you'll never see your family or your beloved puppy Mr. Snuggles again. You've fallen victim to the scare tactic.

I've heard the scare tactic argument used to discredit the religious or to devalue and belittle faith rather frequently. I personally don't get it. Much of what we do has fear as at least one of its impetuses and driving forces. Whether in childhood, academia, the professional world or in social/personal life, fear of experiencing certain losses and sufferings and the fear of being deprived of certain achievements and pleasures are an inherent component of people's lives and greatly influence their conduct. People that think otherwise are fooling themselves really; they're attempting to transcend to a mode of existence that is beyond the human being. If it wasn't for some combination of different fears the individual would most likely end up in a state of decay and utter failure.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

you were an A student you say?