As a christian I have a question for non believers

#1 Posted by Blizz87 (14 posts) -

So I am a Christian and believe in God and his son Jesus Christ. I been through some things in my life and the only logical explanation as to why I am still alive is existence of God.

Anyway, my question is for non believers. What would be your reaction when you die and realize that God and Jesus are very real and so is heaven and hell? For the sake of argument, none of the other "Gods" that other cultures believe in exist. There is only one God and his son Jesus.

Would you repent for your sins, and or mocking God on earth etc or accept your fate of going to hell?

Personally, I would rather live my life on earth believing and worshiping God, rather than die non believing and end up in hell forever. But that's just MY belief.

This is just a question I had out of curiosity. Not trying to force my religion on anyone.

#2 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

So I am a Christian and believe in God and his son Jesus Christ. I been through some things in my life and the only logical explanation as to why I am still alive is existence of God.

Anyway, my question is for non believers. What would be your reaction when you die and realize that God and Jesus are very real and so is heaven and hell? For the sake of argument, none of the other "Gods" that other cultures believe in exist. There is only one God and his son Jesus.

Would you repent for your sins, and or mocking God on earth etc or accept your fate of going to hell?

Personally, I would rather live my life on earth believing and worshiping God, rather than die non believing and end up in hell forever. But that's just MY belief.

This is just a question I had out of curiosity. Not trying to force my religion on anyone.

Seriously, this is 2014

#3 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

I'd want to know why a god that is supposedly so powerful and loving wouldn't make more of an effort to say "hi" now and then.

#4 Edited by Blizz87 (14 posts) -

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

#5 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I'd want to know why a god that is supposedly so powerful and loving wouldn't make more of an effort to say "hi" now and then.

Hi, take it as a message from god.

#6 Posted by Treflis (11664 posts) -

"Oh Hey, Guess I was wrong. So...which way to eternal damnation then?"

#7 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me get this straight. You have trouble understanding well-supported scientific theories, so you think it's logical to say that a god (not just a god, but one specific God) and his son exist?

#8 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Believing is as stupid as not believing

#9 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26625 posts) -

#10 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as irrational as believing.

#11 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

#12 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

I guess you don't know much about the human psyche, nobody's perfect or has all the answers.

No one is truly evil, they just do evil acts. No one is truly good as well, they just do good things.

You should be punished for evil acts and rewarded for good acts. Wether this is in the afterlife or not, that system works. So either you're ignorant, a hypocrite or a plain idiot.

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (31174 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Yet,in 2014 people still believe in Gods,heaven and hell.

And we did evolve from much further than monkeys

#14 Edited by plageus900 (1174 posts) -

@Blizz87 said:

So I am a Christian and believe in God and his son Jesus Christ. I been through some things in my life and the only logical explanation as to why I am still alive is existence of God.

Anyway, my question is for non believers. What would be your reaction when you die and realize that God and Jesus are very real and so is heaven and hell? For the sake of argument, none of the other "Gods" that other cultures believe in exist. There is only one God and his son Jesus.

Would you repent for your sins, and or mocking God on earth etc or accept your fate of going to hell?

Personally, I would rather live my life on earth believing and worshiping God, rather than die non believing and end up in hell forever. But that's just MY belief.

This is just a question I had out of curiosity. Not trying to force my religion on anyone.

As an agnostic, I have a question for you.

What makes you think Christianity is right and every other belief system is wrong? Have you taken the time to research other religious beliefs? If you have, you'll notice that most of them are very similar to one another.

If, when you die, you find that figures of God and Jesus as you see them, are wrong, will you repent for your false beliefs?

Personally, I would rather live my life on Earth with an open mind and know that there is a real possibility that everything we know is completely wrong.

This is just a question I have for you. I'm not trying to force any logical reasoning on you.

#15 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

#16 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26625 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I guess you don't know much about the human psyche, nobody's perfect or has all the answers.

No one is truly evil, they just do evil acts. No one is truly good as well, they just do good things.

You should be punished for evil acts and rewarded for good acts. Wether this is in the afterlife or not, that system works. So either you're ignorant, a hypocrite or a plain idiot.

This is the equivalent of verbal diarrhea.

#17 Posted by Motokid6 (5982 posts) -

Your god is too small .

#18 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

#19 Edited by Korvus (5501 posts) -

I would have to ask God what kind of father condemns his own children to eternal damnation just because he's disappointed in them...

I would ask him how he can live with himself having at one point killed pretty much all life on Earth (if the Flood story turns out to be true). I'm assuming if drowning your child in a bathtub is a horrendous crime, drowning them all...

I would ask him what his ego problem is that he wants his children to worship him, fear him and obey him under penalty of damnation.

Etc, etc...

(Would like to say that I do not mock nor belittle religious people, if it works for them I'm happy for them...there are just way too many things that bother me in order for me to believe in God)

#20 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -

@korvus said:

I would ask him what kind of father condemns his own children to eternal damnation just because he's disappointed in them...

I would ask him how he can live with himself having at one point killed pretty much all life on Earth (if the Flood story turns out to be true). I'm assuming if drowning your child in a bathtub is a horrendous crime, drowning them all...

I would ask him what his ego problem is that he wants his children to worship him, fear him and obey him under penalty of damnation.

Etc, etc...

shut up, infidel

#21 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

You are already on hell. You go to "heaven" when your brain goes dead.

Worshipping something that isn't there is a waste of time

#22 Edited by Korvus (5501 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

shut up, infidel

I am disarmed by your bulletproof argument =P

#23 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

#24 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

So why is it irrational to not believe something?

#25 Posted by wis3boi (31702 posts) -

Pascal's Wager is a pile of tripe

#26 Posted by Vatusus (4872 posts) -

That would never happen cause there is no god

And if there was a god that punished people for not believing in him (especially when he did nothing that actually proved his existence) then I didnt want a god like him

#27 Posted by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

So why is it irrational to not believe something?

Didn't I just explain this, even a computer would know there's a chance there's a god.

#28 Edited by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

So why is it irrational to not believe something?

Didn't I just explain this, even a computer would know there's a chance there's a god.

No, you didn't explain it. It's a very simple question. Why is it irrational not to believe something for which there is no evidence?

#29 Posted by Korvus (5501 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Pascal's Wager is a pile of tripe

But is belief in God for the single purpose of preventing your own ass for burning true belief? If God exists I'm sure he won't be very happy with the "just in case" people =P

#30 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

So why is it irrational to not believe something?

Didn't I just explain this, even a computer would know there's a chance there's a god.

No, you didn't explain it. It's a very simple question. Why is it irrational not to believe something for which there is no evidence?

Because untill the sixties , most of them believed in it. Don't you think there's even a slight chance it can be true.

Evidence only goes so far at this time, technology is not that advanced that we know everything, far from it. Like I said, at this time , we're all a bunch of morons. People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

#31 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:
@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Blizz87 said:

@evildead6789:

I was an A student when it came to science but that stuff made no sense to me in regards to creation. Yet, in 2014 people still believe we all evolved from monkeys..... So I am good with believing on Jesus in 2014.

Let me put it to you this way

Not believing is as wrong as believing.

What does that even mean?

It means that we don't really know.

So why is it wrong to not believe something?

Well I was trying to find the right word, maybe you have seen i changed it to irrational instead of wrong , i even used the word stupid at first.

A lot of people actually believed in it and still do , there are reasons for this, reasons we don't fully understand, you could say it's all about co existing in a peacefull way or something else but the fact is we don't know for sure, no one was there. All those people are dead that were there. All we have is written books, even cameras couldn't tell us what was right and what not, 3d camera's maybe.

Time will tell, and it will tell it probably to our offspring because we will be dead and gone.

Or if there's an afterlife we'll know it when will dead.

Anyway you put it at this time , we can't know for sure. We don't even manage to reach the nearest star, solve world hunger, or stop eating meat. At this time, we're all a bunch of dumb assess.

So why is it irrational to not believe something?

Didn't I just explain this, even a computer would know there's a chance there's a god.

No, you didn't explain it. It's a very simple question. Why is it irrational not to believe something for which there is no evidence?

Because untill the sixties , most of them believed in it. Don't you think there's even a slight chance it can be true.

Evidence only goes so far at this time, technology is not that advanced that we know everything, far from it. Like I said, at this time , we're all a bunch of morons.

People believed something in the past, so it's irrational not to believe it?

Do you believe that the Earth is the center of the universe? People believed that in the past.

#32 Edited by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

#33 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

If that happened then all I have ever known is a lie. It would be pointless to ask questions to clear things up because our simple human brains cannot grasp the true intentions and reasoning of what God did and didn't do. I'd ask for forgiveness and see what he says.

Good thing this is an impossible scenario.

#34 Edited by Xsan3 (2612 posts) -

Personally, I'm a christian - but I respect those who don't believe. What really bothers me though, is how the Atheists preach about how absolutely certain they are that a God doesn't exist. Thing is, we don't really have any proof either way. Kinda like aliens, I don't believe that aliens exist the way Discovery channel or whatever - believes, but I don't have any proof they 'don't exist either.

Also, Atheists - Don't bash the religious types for their right to believe, and evangelists need to stop shoving religion down people's throats.

X~

#35 Posted by wis3boi (31702 posts) -

@Xsan3 said:

Personally, I'm a christian - but I respect those who don't really believe. What really bothers me though, is how the Atheists preach about how absolutely certain they are that a God doesn't exist.

this is the common misconception that really upsets and baffles atheists, including myself. It's a strawman that makes it seem like the non-believer is just as crazy. Do I know no gods exist? No. Further define your god, like...the abrahamic god? Yeah, I'm sure that god doesn't exist.

#36 Posted by Korvus (5501 posts) -

@Xsan3: Aren't most religious people absolutely certain God exists? Why wouldn't atheists be allowed the same certainty? Now, there's a difference in being certain (whether they are right or wrong) and belittling other people who don't share their views (this goes for both religious and atheists).

Personally, I don't know if a God exists or not, even though I don't believe in a specific God I can see it happening both ways, but I'm not really bothered either way, so I think if people feel that they are certain, then that's on them.

#37 Posted by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Xsan3 said:

Personally, I'm a christian - but I respect those who don't really believe. What really bothers me though, is how the Atheists preach about how absolutely certain they are that a God doesn't exist.

this is the common misconception that really upsets and baffles atheists, including myself. It's a strawman that makes it seem like the non-believer is just as crazy. Do I know no gods exist? No. Further define your god, like...the abrahamic god? Yeah, I'm sure that god doesn't exist.

No one (well, no one other than that evildead nutso) is saying that it's crazy or irrational not to believe in a god. What is irrational, though, is to try to claim with any kind of certainty that no god exists.

#38 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

Thinking in black and white is not right, it's not rational, it's not correct.

I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything.

Why , because there's always a chance. For all I know , pigs will suddenly fly out of my ass. Of course chances are extremely slim that will happen, so I pretty much rule that out.

You can't deny 2000 years of history, it's more than debatable of course, but saying it's not true while we're such weak beings, is just arrogant. It's just as arrogant to say it's true though, a lot of discoveries show that it's quite possible that there's isn't a god

But like I said, we can't really know for sure, for all we know god is playing a 3d movie of the universe around us. We haven't even set foot on mars and outside the solar system is beyond our reach, and that's just the beginning according to todays science.

When you look up at the sky, you can't help but wonder. You don't even have to look up at the sky, if you look around and you see all that is around you, you can't help but wonder either.

#39 Edited by RageQuit4Life (384 posts) -

Lol, I don't get you people. Do you even think deeper about there is a possibility of intelligent designer that made this universe? I mean, Earth is designed perfectly for humans to live on Foods and water are there prepared for us to eat and drink? There are foods with nutrients that meet our needs to survive. We got brains and conscience to think with. Penis and vagina to reproduce. There is oxygen for us to breath with. Too perfect for us to be came from "nothingness". Don't forget that Jesus has been proved to be real, he's a historical figure. Go figure.

#40 Edited by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

Thinking in black and white is not right, it's not rational, it's not correct.

I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything.

Why , because there's always a chance. For all I know , pigs will suddenly fly out of my ass. Of course chances are extremely slim that will happen, so I pretty much rule that out.

You can't deny 2000 years of history, it's more than debatable of course, but saying it's not true while we're such weak beings, is just arrogant. It's just as arrogant to say it's true though, a lot of discoveries show that it's quite possible that there's isn't a god

But like I said, we can't really know for sure, for all we know god is playing a 3d movie of the universe around us. We haven't even set foot on mars and outside the solar system is beyond our reach, and that's just the beginning according to todays science.

If you look up at the sky, you can't help but wonder.

"I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything."

You understand that that makes no sense, right?

I know that you're hoping that someone finds your pseudo-intellectual bullshit and nonsensical blabber that you dump into your posts to be deep or interesting. Unfortunately, it's just self-contradicting and logically unsound.

#41 Posted by Xsan3 (2612 posts) -

@wis3boi: You're attempting a smart argument, so why are you trying to over complicate the discussion. There are obviously multiple religions, such as Christianity, Islamic, Buddhism, Judaism and so forth. I'm not trying to single out one specific God, in order to respect other religions. So take your pick of any of the religions that I had mentioned, and Prove they don't exist - which is the point I'm trying to make.

#42 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@wis3boi said:

@Xsan3 said:

Personally, I'm a christian - but I respect those who don't really believe. What really bothers me though, is how the Atheists preach about how absolutely certain they are that a God doesn't exist.

this is the common misconception that really upsets and baffles atheists, including myself. It's a strawman that makes it seem like the non-believer is just as crazy. Do I know no gods exist? No. Further define your god, like...the abrahamic god? Yeah, I'm sure that god doesn't exist.

No one (well, no one other than that evildead nutso) is saying that it's crazy or irrational not to believe in a god. What is irrational, though, is to try to claim with any kind of certainty that no god exists.

You can't say with certainty that the possibility of god is zero, but you can say with certainty that certain gods don't exist. Any specific deity proposed by humans almost certainly does not exist. A good analogy for understanding this principle is determining the probability of rainfall - for example the probability that it might rain between 1 and 3 inches might be as high as 90% - it could even be 100% for the purpose of this example (in math terms that would be P(1 < X < 3)=1), but the probability of it being exactly 2 in (i.e. P(X=2)), 1.5 in, 2.8 in, whatever, is precisely zero.

Personally I think the probability that any gods exist is pretty low, but the probability that any of the gods put forth by any person is undoubtedly zero. The way I see it it's impossible for anyone on this planet to be able to accurately define who and what god is. Christians, Muslims, Jews, ect can't even agree on a definition among themselves.

#43 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

Thinking in black and white is not right, it's not rational, it's not correct.

I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything.

Why , because there's always a chance. For all I know , pigs will suddenly fly out of my ass. Of course chances are extremely slim that will happen, so I pretty much rule that out.

You can't deny 2000 years of history, it's more than debatable of course, but saying it's not true while we're such weak beings, is just arrogant. It's just as arrogant to say it's true though, a lot of discoveries show that it's quite possible that there's isn't a god

But like I said, we can't really know for sure, for all we know god is playing a 3d movie of the universe around us. We haven't even set foot on mars and outside the solar system is beyond our reach, and that's just the beginning according to todays science.

If you look up at the sky, you can't help but wonder.

"I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything."

You understand that that makes no sense, right?

I know that you're hoping that someone finds your pseudo-intellectual bullshit and nonsensical blabber that you dump into your posts to be deep or interesting. Unfortunately, it's just self-contradicting and logically unsound.

That's because you're thinking in black and white

The 'I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything' was a bit exagerrated and so were the pigs flying out my ass. I thought you would have gotten that.

There are a lot of things I can rule out in this world and a lot of things I believe, but there's a lot of contradiction in things. You might as well ask what was first, the chicken or the egg.

I can't deny 2000 years of religious history, I also can't deny the scientific findings of the last 2000 years. They contradict themselves. If you say one of them is right , then you're wrong.

You can believe in what you want, but it's not reality if you choose one or the other. Reality now is neither of them or both of them, one or the other, or a mix, we simply don't know.

Science has its contradictions as well, just look at quantum physics.

#44 Edited by thegerg (15731 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

Thinking in black and white is not right, it's not rational, it's not correct.

I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything.

Why , because there's always a chance. For all I know , pigs will suddenly fly out of my ass. Of course chances are extremely slim that will happen, so I pretty much rule that out.

You can't deny 2000 years of history, it's more than debatable of course, but saying it's not true while we're such weak beings, is just arrogant. It's just as arrogant to say it's true though, a lot of discoveries show that it's quite possible that there's isn't a god

But like I said, we can't really know for sure, for all we know god is playing a 3d movie of the universe around us. We haven't even set foot on mars and outside the solar system is beyond our reach, and that's just the beginning according to todays science.

If you look up at the sky, you can't help but wonder.

"I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything."

You understand that that makes no sense, right?

I know that you're hoping that someone finds your pseudo-intellectual bullshit and nonsensical blabber that you dump into your posts to be deep or interesting. Unfortunately, it's just self-contradicting and logically unsound.

That's because you're thinking in black and white

The I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything was a bit ironic and so were the pigs flying out my ass. I'm though you would have gotten that.

There are a lot of things I can rule out in this world and a lot of things I believe, but there's a lot of contradiction in things. You might as well ask what was first, the chicken or the egg.

I can't deny 2000 years of religious history, I also can't deny the scientific findings of the last 2000 years. They contradict themselves. If you say one of them is right , then you're wrong.

You can believe in what you want, but it's not reality if you choose one or the other. Reality as of know as neither of them or both of them, we simply don't know.

"The I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything was a bit ironic"

No it wasn't. I suggest that you pick up a dictionary and learn what the word "ironic" means.

"You might as well ask what was first, the chicken or the egg."

That has nothing to do with your silly belief that it's irrational to not believe in something for which there is no evidence.

"I can't deny 2000 years of religious history, I also can't deny the scientific findings of the last 2000 years. They contradict themselves. If you say one of them is right , then you're wrong."

No you're not.

Please just try to answer the question. Why is it irrational to not believe something for which there is no evidence? Do you believe that there is a tiger sitting on my lap right now?

It seems that yo don't really understand what it means to believe something.

#45 Posted by dave123321 (34264 posts) -

I have faith that god isn't a petty asshole that will condemn me to hell even though I was a decent person and helped my fellow man. Truly loving god

#46 Posted by TheFlush (5591 posts) -

I wouldn't know, I'm not dead yet.

#47 Posted by GreySeal9 (24910 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I'd want to know why a god that is supposedly so powerful and loving wouldn't make more of an effort to say "hi" now and then.

This is actually a very good question.

#48 Posted by Audacitron (915 posts) -

You can answer this question yourself if you imagine you died and found out one of the other religions was right and that their version of God is condemning you for eternity for making a mistake.

#49 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

I'm agnostic. I don't know what's out there and don't care either way.

If there is a god and he sends good people to hell simply because they didn't believe in him and accept him as their savior, then I'd like no part of that. Any god that vain is not one I'd like to believe in, and any god who would allow crappy people into heaven just because they believe is ridiculous.

Though, OP, what you're saying is you'd rather believe in and worship something you see lots of contrived evidence for and some unexplainable phenomenons ("It's a miracle I'm alive!") to support as a safety net in case there is a god. You're the do-all-your-homework-in-case-the-teacher-wants-to-mark-it-today kid for a teacher who has never once collected homework.


Therein lies the problem. You're not believing because you want to believe (think Santa Claus or the Easter bunny), you're believing because you're scared of what might happen if you don't. Parents apply this to children regularly. If you're not good, Santa brings you coal instead of presents. If you try to catch the tooth fairy, she'll never bring you money or treats for your teeth again. They scare their kids into good behavior because the kids don't want to have the bad thing happen to them that has been threatened.

Coal is the same thing as hell, on a level comprehensible to children. I went to bible day camp and Sunday school as a kid. They make very sure to mention that if you don't get saved you'll be swimming in a lake of fire for eternity and you'll never see your family or your beloved puppy Mr. Snuggles again. You've fallen victim to the scare tactic.

#50 Edited by commander (8269 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

@thegerg said:

@evildead6789 said:

People still die of disease, or have severe handicaps, we still have to kill other creatures to live. We can't even feed or fellow man.

OK, this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Thanks for sharing, though.

Anyway, do you believe in everything for which there is a chance?

Thinking in black and white is not right, it's not rational, it's not correct.

I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything.

Why , because there's always a chance. For all I know , pigs will suddenly fly out of my ass. Of course chances are extremely slim that will happen, so I pretty much rule that out.

You can't deny 2000 years of history, it's more than debatable of course, but saying it's not true while we're such weak beings, is just arrogant. It's just as arrogant to say it's true though, a lot of discoveries show that it's quite possible that there's isn't a god

But like I said, we can't really know for sure, for all we know god is playing a 3d movie of the universe around us. We haven't even set foot on mars and outside the solar system is beyond our reach, and that's just the beginning according to todays science.

If you look up at the sky, you can't help but wonder.

"I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything."

You understand that that makes no sense, right?

I know that you're hoping that someone finds your pseudo-intellectual bullshit and nonsensical blabber that you dump into your posts to be deep or interesting. Unfortunately, it's just self-contradicting and logically unsound.

That's because you're thinking in black and white

The I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything was a bit ironic and so were the pigs flying out my ass. I'm though you would have gotten that.

There are a lot of things I can rule out in this world and a lot of things I believe, but there's a lot of contradiction in things. You might as well ask what was first, the chicken or the egg.

I can't deny 2000 years of religious history, I also can't deny the scientific findings of the last 2000 years. They contradict themselves. If you say one of them is right , then you're wrong.

You can believe in what you want, but it's not reality if you choose one or the other. Reality as of know as neither of them or both of them, we simply don't know.

"The I don't believe in anything and I believe in everything was a bit ironic"

No it wasn't. I suggest that you pick up a dictionary and learn what the word "ironic" means.

"You might as well ask what was first, the chicken or the egg."

That has nothing to do with your silly belief that it's irrational to not believe in something for which there is no evidence.

"I can't deny 2000 years of religious history, I also can't deny the scientific findings of the last 2000 years. They contradict themselves. If you say one of them is right , then you're wrong."

No you're not.

Please just try to answer the question. Why is it irrational to not believe something for which there is no evidence? Do you believe that there is a tiger sitting on my lap right now?

Well, I did look up ironic, english is not my native language, so let's not be fooled by the tower of babylon, I changed the word to exaggerated (before you posted this I might add)

The chicken or the egg has something to do with it, you and me weren't there when the chicken or the egg was created or came to existence, whatever you prefer. It's the same with jesus and the bible, you and me weren't there 2000 years ago.

You ask for evidence, but we don't have the means to provide it nor have we the means to deny it. So yeah it is irrational to not believe it or to believe it for that matter.

As for the tiger, chances are slim, but chances are a lot slimmer pigs are flying out of my ass. I presume you made a joke with the tiger, so there's a big chance that isn't true. Most people don't have tigers as well. You're just saying this in a context and I can pretty much rule it out, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, you could do reverse psychology, allthough I also think you wouldn't do that at this time. Still, I don't know who you are. Ruling it out completely is difficult. The zero is really a zero and in this case there isn't any history that preceeds this situation. If it was only one man that said something unlikely like this 2000 years ago, yeah then of course I would not believe it and rule it out, but it would be of such low importance it would have never reached me, people tend to 'not pass on' unimportant information.

You're only one man that just said one sentence that is highly unlikely. You could say with everything we know about science that it is highly unlikely as well that there is a god, or that there was a jesus in the same way christians believe in him. The bible could be metaphorical but there's more to this. As much as we explain nature phenomenons , we can't explain them all and we can only explain a part of what's happening here in this solar system. If you look how big the universe is, or what we believe how big the universe is then you can't say with certainty there wasn't a creator or a god, or something similar especailly when our ancestors did believe in something like it and say they saw it and passed it on for all this time.

The fact that there isn't sitting a tiger on your lap, is way more certain that what science says today about why or how we came to existence. There are too many variables to solve the mystery at this time and If you look at the intelligence of men before 2000, they weren't that much dumber than we are. We have a lot more knowledge to built upon, but they couldn't have been complete morons, if they were able to cook food, make sewers, build monuments and understand basic mathematics.

They even managed to build pyramids.