Americans apparantly hate atheists

#1 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

Apparantly people get upset if you are about to marry an atheist

Those most likely to say they’d be upset:

* 73 percent of people who call themselves “consistently conservative.”

* 64 percent of Protestants, including 77 percent of white non-Hispanic evangelical Protestants.

* 59 percent among Republicans or those who leaned to the GOP, 18 points higher than unhappy Democrat or Democrat/leaning adults.

* 55 percent of Roman Catholics

By contrast, only 9 percent overall said they would be upset by the prospect of a relative wedding a “born again” Christian.

Link

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28965 posts) -

How about giving a link to the survey itself instead of to a video?

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

IT's on the video, but fine i linked it

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33381 posts) -

They do seem to be hated here on OT for prejudicial reasons. Like how the religious get negative attention here on OT because of a couple of bad apples here

#5 Posted by gamerguru100 (10401 posts) -

This is not a surprise in the slightest.

#6 Posted by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

As a Roman Catholic American, I don't hate atheists. Being misinformed is no reason to hate anyone.

#7 Edited by Master_Live (13639 posts) -

Some hate because they can't duplicate.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

They do seem to be hated here on OT for prejudicial reasons. Like how the religious get negative attention here on OT because of a couple of bad apples here

It's not that bad here in europe. I occasionally see christians trying to convert me and stuff like that who are missionaries from america. But i've yet to see an atheist do that

#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15830 posts) -

I don't hate atheists. They're just a group of people (among others) that I don't give a shit about.

#10 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

The guy in that video is an idiot. He kept saying thing like discrimination, unwelcome and hate. The question simply said members of the family would be "unhappy" if they married an atheist. It didn't say they would fail to welcome them into the house or hate them in anyway. You can be unhappy that a member of your family is marrying someone but can still welcome them to the family all the same. In fact how many parents are perfectly happy with the choice their sons or daughters make in their choice of spouse? They still love them and accept them into their family anyways.

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

It's not that bad here in europe. I occasionally see christians trying to convert me and stuff like that who are missionaries from america. But i've yet to see an atheist do that

That's because their argument is invalid. How does one "convert" a believer into not believing? Seems silly.

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -
#13 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@dave123321 said:

That's because their argument is invalid. How does one "convert" a believer into not believing? Seems silly.

With logic?

#15 Posted by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@dave123321 said:

With logic?

I believe you mean "science", not "logic".

#16 Posted by lamprey263 (22458 posts) -

Some hate because they can't duplicate.

No, no, no, I think you're getting your gay hating slogans mixed up, I'm pretty sure it's "gays recruit because they can't reproduce" is what you were trying to say.

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@dave123321 said:

With logic?

Science = logic

my friend

#18 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17316 posts) -

What can I say, the masses love their opiates.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu-: I wonder how many of these people would damn atheists to hell

#20 Posted by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@dave123321 said:

With logic?

Science = logic

my friend

Oh really? How's that working out for you?

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@jasean79: very well! Thank you for asking! With both logic and math i know 2+2 = 4 :D

#22 Posted by THUMPTABLE (1806 posts) -

I don't hate atheists. They're just a group of people (among others) that I don't give a shit about.

And who would you give a shit about?

#23 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5487 posts) -

Nope. Not at all.

#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

Nope. Not at all.

As someone watching most of the news coming our way from the US, it doesn't surprise me

#25 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15830 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

And who would you give a shit about?

My family and relatives.

My friends and coworkers.

That's about it. I have enough people to think about.

#26 Edited by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

@jasean79: very well! Thank you for asking! With both logic and math i know 2+2 = 4 :D

I'm glad to know that your life is fulfilled thru the use of basic arithmetic. :)

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I'm glad to know that your life is fulfilled thru the use of basic arithmetic. :)

Not really, just logic/science aka absolute facts :)

#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (86971 posts) -

Of course they do, because (apparently) America was founded on "Christian values".

#29 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Religious drones as usual promoting hypocrisy by preaching hatred towards their fellow man, so much for 'Judge not least you be judged yourself' and 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. No doubt your zombie lord J.C. disapproves of such violations of his teachings, man you guys are gonna suffer his wraith for perverting the bible. Sucks to be you.

#30 Posted by jasean79 (2298 posts) -

Of course they do, because (apparently) America was founded on "Christian values".

In God we Trust.

#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -
#32 Posted by sonicare (53441 posts) -

I'm american and I dont hate atheists. But I think the issue may be that people assume that all atheists are the real vocal ones who bash religion. Most atheists dont. They just live their lives. I dont think anybody but wackos hate those kinds of atheists.

#33 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6222 posts) -
#34 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@sonicare said:

I'm american and I dont hate atheists. But I think the issue may be that people assume that all atheists are the real vocal ones who bash religion. Most atheists dont. They just live their lives. I dont think anybody but wackos hate those kinds of atheists.

you might be 3/10 of that poll, but that's still a lot of people not liking atheists

#35 Posted by playmynutz (5925 posts) -

Athiest seem to be on par with homosexuals.

The real losers in America are the druggies

#36 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

Athiest seem to be on par with homosexuals.

The real losers in America are the druggies

Atehests aren't allowed to take office in some states if i am not mistaken

#37 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

True Christians do not "hate" anything. Atheists can be serious dicks, that's all I know.

#38 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

True Christians do not "hate" anything. Atheists can be serious dicks, that's all I know.

And christians can't?

#39 Posted by BranKetra (47524 posts) -

At least online, a majority of the self-described atheists I have read posts by have been incredibly rude. Not to say they all are in the slightest; the vocal minority has done that group few favors in terms of likability beyond a respect for their boldness.

Your cynicism is not uncalled for considering the context of it.

#40 Posted by hoosier7 (3696 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: religion and politics should not mix at all.

And education, i can't believe you guys in the states have people who want creationism taught in schools. That's an alien concept to me.

#41 Posted by Assassin_87 (2295 posts) -

I think that we have a tendency to fear anything different than ourselves or what we are used to. Personally, I don't care what you believe so long as it doesn't inherently involve bringing harm to others.

@hoosier7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

And education, i can't believe you guys in the states have people who want creationism taught in schools. That's an alien concept to me.

It's an alien concept to a lot of us here in the states as well. Trust me. lol

#42 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69111 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I did posts that a few years ago and i got flamed for posting that here because how did i dare to post something anti-creatonism. Creatonism has been debunked so many times by so many people. Why anyone is actually teaching this as science or fact is frightening. And this in a first world country

#43 Posted by BranKetra (47524 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I did posts that a few years ago and i got flamed for posting that here because how did i dare to post something anti-creatonism. Creatonism has been debunked so many times by so many people. Why anyone is actually teaching this as science or fact is frightening. And this in a first world country

There are various beliefs and opinions related to creationism. Saying that they have all been debunked is incorrect.

#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12681 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

As a Roman Catholic American, I don't hate atheists. Being misinformed is no reason to hate anyone.

I noticed you backed off our previous conversation when I showed that I was anything but misinformed. Of course, I'm used to people clamming up when their ignorance is revealed.

#45 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@vfibsux said:

And christians can't?

No, a true Christian cannot be a dick. True Christians would forgive you if you killed their kid, because God wants them to. True Christians devote their lives to helping others. If I have to tell you this then you are clueless, period. I wish I was the Christian these people are, I have too much hate in my soul for it though and freely admit it. I hate islamic extremists, I hate the liberals destroying this country, I hate lima beans, new MMO's, and fish on pizza.

I forgot to mention I hate all of these stupid "let's see how controversial I can get" threads you are making too.

#46 Edited by darkspineslayer (19367 posts) -

Hate the player all you want, but I think i'll go with the side that considers human beings as brimming with potential instead of being inherently shit until the invisible man in the sky says your not.

#47 Posted by lostrib (31799 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I noticed you backed off our previous conversation when I showed that I was anything but misinformed. Of course, I'm used to people clamming up when their ignorance is revealed.

#48 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28965 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

IT's on the video, but fine i linked it

thanks!

#49 Posted by The-Apostle (12108 posts) -

I don't hate them but I do find them rather annoying.

#50 Posted by THUMPTABLE (1806 posts) -

@The-Apostle: yeah no more annoying than those religious nutters!