55 year old Homeless Man carries 2 Masters and a PhD.

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

as far as i know most mosques are closed during the nights here in iran. lol

Here mosques are closed to the "public" during the night. They become the playground for all kinds of mischievous planning and plotting shit lol

But really, I was more referring to the "institution" that is the mosque or church.

#52 Edited by thegerg (14417 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I'm just curious, what would you do ig the same guy showed up at our door? Would you let him in?

#53 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I'm just curious, what would you do ig the same guy showed up at our door? Would you let him in?

I'm not running a shelter. But regardless, I'd at the very least offer him a warm meal and something decent to wear. I'd try to help him to the best I can and try to find him a place to stay in. If the weather was just terrible and I couldn't arrange a place for him to spend the night I'd most probably take him in, only for the night though and I'd stay very vigilant throughout the night I admit.

#54 Posted by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

I'd bet there's more to the story...

#55 Edited by themajormayor (25649 posts) -
@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

OMFG GTFOFOFOFOFOFOFOF

#56 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13730 posts) -

Become a criminal. They make good money.

Anyway, an educated man has a better chance of adapting to the job market than someone who has nothing to prove on their resume. Job market is just saturated with degrees so it's best to pay attention what's happening.

#57 Edited by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I'm just curious, what would you do ig the same guy showed up at our door? Would you let him in?

Ig you don't mind me asking, how come you and GazaAli own a door together?

#58 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

OMFG GTFOFOFOFOFOFOFOF

rofl you have no idea what its like to live under the burning sun throughout the year. Seeing how you live in Sweden, I'm not surprised by your outrage.

#59 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I'm just curious, what would you do ig the same guy showed up at our door? Would you let him in?

Ig you don't mind me asking, how come you and GazaAli own a door together?

What does that even mean :P

#60 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

What does that even mean :P

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I'm just curious, what would you do ig the same guy showed up at our door? Would you let him in?

#61 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia, America and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

Fixed, sadly.

#62 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

I know during the first cold snap here in Chicago we had three homeless people die within the course of a week. Usually funding is so erratic that shelters have to prioritize saving money over keeping extra beds that won't be used for most of the year. Then when a cold snap happens they have more homeless people than beds. This is why I have such a problem with the conservative refrain of "oh, charities will handle it." Yeah, if charities didn't have to worry about donations petering out after the holiday season, if they had a consistent stream of income (like government programs do in the form of taxation), then maybe it would work.

#63 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

ITT: No one watched the video.

#64 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

This video isn't a testament to the deficiency of higher education, but to that of our healthcare system. The guy went broke taking care of his sick parents.

#65 Posted by thegerg (14417 posts) -

This video isn't a testament to the deficiency of higher education, but to that of our healthcare system. The guy went broke taking care of his sick parents.

There are more costs involved in taking care of 2 adults and their affairs then medical costs. We don't have enough information about this situation to make any kind of intelligent determination about what, exactly, cost him so much.

#66 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Makhaidos said:

This video isn't a testament to the deficiency of higher education, but to that of our healthcare system. The guy went broke taking care of his sick parents.

There are more costs involved in taking care of 2 adults and their affairs then medical costs. We don't have enough information about this situation to make any kind of intelligent determination about what, exactly, cost him so much.

Yes, there's also housing, food, insurance, and/or assisted living costs (which are astronomical). None of which should be made harder by a shitty healthcare system.

#67 Posted by thegerg (14417 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Makhaidos said:

This video isn't a testament to the deficiency of higher education, but to that of our healthcare system. The guy went broke taking care of his sick parents.

There are more costs involved in taking care of 2 adults and their affairs then medical costs. We don't have enough information about this situation to make any kind of intelligent determination about what, exactly, cost him so much.

Yes, there's also housing, food, insurance, and/or assisted living costs (which are astronomical). None of which should be made harder by a shitty healthcare system.

Yes, but we still have nothing to support the claim that this guy's situation is the result of a shitty healthcare system.

#68 Edited by bforrester420 (1049 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

Unemployment and earnings statistics would strongly disagree with this assertion. Sure, you don't need a college degree, but unless you plan on learning a trade (think electrician, plumber, ASE Mechanic, Steel worker, pipe fitter, HVAC tech, etc), which often requires schooling, a college education is your best path towards economic stability.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

#69 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6007 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

Have you ever been homeless? I have found that people who blame the impoverished for their conditions to generally be the most naive about these types of situations. You should go out to the streets of NYC and ask a homeless person why they are homeless. I can guarantee that you will be surprised.

@loco145 said:

Another sucker who felt for the education bubble.

There is a lot wrong with this statement. I will tell you this: having an educated society is never a bad thing. This man has skills- the problem is that people don't want to pay him for his contributions to society.

#70 Posted by donmuath (47 posts) -

The fact that you decided to post about this here shows how unusual this is; which kind of defeats whatever point I assume you're trying to make.

#71 Posted by Allicrombie (25107 posts) -

There are intelligent people out there without degrees and dumb people out there with degrees, it's all relative, really. I'm sure he isn't the only person with multiple degrees to ever find himself homeless.

#72 Edited by thegerg (14417 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@Fightingfan said:

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

Unemployment and earnings statistics would strongly disagree with this assertion. Sure, you don't need a college degree, but unless you plan on learning a trade (think electrician, plumber, ASE Mechanic, Steel worker, pipe fitter, HVAC tech, etc), which often requires schooling, a college education is your best path towards economic stability.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

This is OT. Feel free to shove your facts, statistics, and well-reasoned opinions up your ass.

#73 Posted by DragonShine (20 posts) -

finished private college. I make more money in jobs society does not respect rather then in a field that makes people go wow. I think if nothing stable appears soon I'll just work at best buy or something.

#74 Posted by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

@loco145 said:

55 year old Homeless Man carries 2 Masters and a PhD...

....out of the foreclosed house he had been squatting in.

#75 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@loco145 said:

Another sucker who felt for the education bubble.

There is a lot wrong with this statement. I will tell you this: having an educated society is never a bad thing. This man has skills- the problem is that people don't want to pay him for his contributions to society.

Nothing in that video indicated this man had made any contributions to society.

He went broke caring for his parents, then moved to a new city with no money in his pockets, assuming the company he had applied for a job with, would hire him.
Turns out, they hired someone else, and this supposedly smart man, didn't have any sort of back-up plan. He didn't have a change of clothes, he didn't have $$$ for a hotel, and he hadn't applied for a job elsewhere.

Seems his parents taught him that education is important, however it also seems he's never learned how to properly manage money.
It's no surprise he's homeless as a result.

#76 Edited by bforrester420 (1049 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Fightingfan said:

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

Unemployment and earnings statistics would strongly disagree with this assertion. Sure, you don't need a college degree, but unless you plan on learning a trade (think electrician, plumber, ASE Mechanic, Steel worker, pipe fitter, HVAC tech, etc), which often requires schooling, a college education is your best path towards economic stability.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

This is OT. Feel free to shove your facts, statistics, and well-reasoned opinions up your ass.

I think that's pretty much a truism for any internet message board ever.

#77 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

"Maurice is very well spoken, (he sounds like Obama)"

lol