55 year old Homeless Man carries 2 Masters and a PhD.

  • 76 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by loco145 (10703 posts) -
#2 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3570 posts) -

What are the degrees in?

#3 Edited by loco145 (10703 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

He has a PhD in Plasma Physics from Dartmouth College, and a masters in Electrical Engineering and acoustics from Purdue University.

#4 Edited by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

#5 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

What are the degrees in?

Something along the lines of "art" and "LGBT studies" lol

#6 Posted by loco145 (10703 posts) -

@GazaAli said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

Something along the lines of "art" and "LGBT studies" lol

Why bothering to answer if you didn't even saw the video?

#7 Edited by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@GazaAli said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What are the degrees in?

Something along the lines of "art" and "LGBT studies" lol

Why bothering to answer if you didn't even saw the video?

Relax bro that was just a troll post.

#8 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

#9 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

I never said anything about social justice. No matter how unjust and inegalitarian a state socially is, the disparities and the gap between the rich and the poor will never, at least in today's world, be of such severity as to leave someone with no other choice than becoming a hobo. I'm not saying the alternatives are necessarily humane and honorable to a fellow human, but they're always going to be better than being homeless no?

#10 Posted by Nibroc420 (13544 posts) -

Chances are he chose not to do anything with those degrees.

But in his current state, i wouldn't hire him either. He needs a shower and a change of clothes.

#11 Edited by lostrib (26148 posts) -

How did he fall for the education bubble, he worked in a field that requires education

#12 Posted by Nibroc420 (13544 posts) -

@lostrib said:

How did he fall for the education bubble, he worked in a field that requires education

He actually only went to school for it.

Plasma Physics isn't something someone goes homeless for. It pays quite well.

#13 Edited by Renevent42 (4949 posts) -

I'd bet there's more to the story...

#14 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

#15 Posted by thegerg (12941 posts) -

@Fightingfan: So you choose to spend money on something that you think is a waste of time? That's pretty dumb.

#16 Posted by lostrib (26148 posts) -

This is I constantly tell people you don't need to go to college, and an education doesn't actually equate to a job.

I personally think University is a waste of time. I only attended because Uncle Sam is paying for it like 95%.

considering the line of work he ended up in, he did need to go to school

#17 Posted by DaBrainz (7486 posts) -

There was no bubble 30 years ago. Back then people could afford college just by working summer jobs. This guy said he went broke taking care of his ill parents. That assumes he is telling the truth.

#18 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
#19 Posted by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -

I'm with Rev, there's something this guy isn't telling us. it's like that "homeless man with the golden voice" story. people thought that guy was just down on his luck, until after he got a job people did some research, and realized he was a complete d-bag who put himself in that position.

either way, i wish him the best.

#20 Edited by SolidSnake35 (57728 posts) -

Degrees aren't helpful to someone that fell so far.

Also, yes, education is overrated. Street smarts are where it's at, G boy jones.

#21 Edited by ad1x2 (5233 posts) -

It would be nice to know the full story instead of just "he has multiple degrees and is homeless." For all we know nobody was hiring him because he is a convicted felon or some other similar black mark (Debra Lafave has a degree to teach but she can't use it being a registered sex offender and all). Not saying he is, but there could have been plenty of other reasons he isn't employed not related to his degrees possibly being useless.

#22 Edited by hippiesanta (9258 posts) -

most people in Gaza are homeless ... em me right gaza ali ??

#23 Posted by BranKetra (46501 posts) -

The responses in this thread are ridiculous. Watch the video and then respond. Christ

I have respect for that man for sacrificing so much for his parents. That video was posted in 2011, so hopefully he has a new job by now and a home of his own.

#24 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

some people are gonna use this example as "screw it why do i need education then?" when in reality this actually shows you how competitive the world is today :( the way the world works should definitely change ASAP.

#25 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

@Fightingfan: thats wat everyone is saying but thats how the world works unfortunately, no college degree = work in places like Mcdonalds or ure fast food restaurant. Bill gates and all those inspiring stories dont count

#26 Edited by Aljosa23 (23600 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

I wish that were true. Come to Toronto, I'll show you plenty of homeless people.

#27 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@ultimate-k said:

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

I never said anything about social justice. No matter how unjust and inegalitarian a state socially is, the disparities and the gap between the rich and the poor will never, at least in today's world, be of such severity as to leave someone with no other choice than becoming a hobo. I'm not saying the alternatives are necessarily humane and honorable to a fellow human, but they're always going to be better than being homeless no?

In America that holds some truth.

A woman can walk into any women and children shelter, but if you're a man you're SOL.

#28 Edited by one_plum (6088 posts) -

If he was in a modern Asian metropolis, he'd be a millionaire.

#29 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

I wish that were true. Come to Toronto, I'll show you plenty of homeless people.

I'm sure there are homeless people there, but are they homeless because they really don't have anywhere else to go? Bear in mind that my definition of homeless here is strictly the state of actually living in the streets, not the reality that you don't or can't afford any sort of your own place anymore.

#30 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@ultimate-k said:

@GazaAli: You could be homeless one day, see how it feels like then, everyone has a good chance of being homeless. The rich get richer walking all over the poor by drowning them in debt while they fill their bellies with greed and suffering.

I never said anything about social justice. No matter how unjust and inegalitarian a state socially is, the disparities and the gap between the rich and the poor will never, at least in today's world, be of such severity as to leave someone with no other choice than becoming a hobo. I'm not saying the alternatives are necessarily humane and honorable to a fellow human, but they're always going to be better than being homeless no?

In America that holds some truth.

A woman can walk into any women and children shelter, but if you're a man you're SOL.

I'm sure there are homeless shelters that take in male hobos...

#31 Edited by Praisedasun (410 posts) -

You are right,people shouldn't be educated,cause they might become homeless one day.

We should all smoke weed all day long and screw university.

........

Some of you make me sick.

#32 Posted by Nibroc420 (13544 posts) -

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

#33 Posted by loco145 (10703 posts) -

You are right,people shouldn't be educated,cause they might become homeless one day.

We should all smoke weed all day long and screw university.

........

Some of you make me sick.

Yeah, I agree.

#34 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

#35 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

I really have a hard time believing this. Do you perhaps have a source for these claims?

#36 Edited by deeliman (1858 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@GazaAli: Very few take in men. The majority of the shelters are for women and children exclusively. They skirt discrimination laws by suggesting the women in the shelters could be victims of abuse.

So they would just tell a homeless man who looks terrible as if he hadn't had a warm meal and a nice bed in ages to fuck off in the middle of a freezing night? That would be so messed up.

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

#37 Posted by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

#38 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

If you eventually move ot Belgium, you'll miss the warm weather :P 10C is very warm there for a winter day

#39 Edited by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

If you eventually move ot Belgium, you'll miss the warm weather :P 10C is very warm there for a winter day

Most likely I will. But I at least think that I will still prefer the cold weather of Belgium or The Netherlands over the burning hot weather of Gaza. My phone's accueweather widget shows that Brussels' temp at the moment is 5'C lol.

#40 Posted by foxhound_fox (85236 posts) -

He hasn't been homeless very long based on his description of the situation. He came to Boston for a job and it ended up being given to someone else, and now he is homeless because he didn't get the job and can't afford housing.

He could easily find work, he just wants it in his field (which is understandable given the time and money invested in the education).

#41 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

If you eventually move ot Belgium, you'll miss the warm weather :P 10C is very warm there for a winter day

Most likely I will. But I at least think that I will still prefer the cold weather of Belgium or The Netherlands over the burning hot weather of Gaza. My phone's accueweather widget shows that Brussels' temp at the moment is 5'C lol.

trust me, it'll get colder as the weeks pass by ;)

#42 Posted by pie-junior (2785 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

I would give a lot to see you react, for the first time, to freezing temperatures

#43 Edited by GazaAli (21478 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

Seeing as you live in Gaza, have you ever experienced a freezing night?

And I agree that it would be fucked up, here they actively search for homeless people on particularly cold nights, so they don't freeze to death.

Unfortunately no. The weather in here is always warm. Its sunny most of the year. I despise the sun and the heat, I'm more of a winter/cold person. I spend most of the winter with the same clothes I spend the summer with. The lowest it gets here is like 10'C which only happens at the nights of the absolutely coldest days of the winter. That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Even when everyone around me is shivering and complaining about how cold it is, I be wearing a t-shirt out in the open, day or night doesn't matter, I'll also be getting those looks O_O as people here have very low tolerance to cold weather.

For me there's nothing like a constantly cloudy and cold weather. As long as the sun doesn't show up I'm all jolly. I'm not sure exactly how to put it, but there's something about the cold and the clouds that instantly relaxes me and puts me in this calm and meditating state. If I wake up to find that the weather is cloudy, my mood is momentarily made just right for the rest of the day. No matter what happens throughout such a day, I manage to stay that way.

I would give a lot to see you react, for the first time, to freezing temperatures

I assume it would be pricelessly craptacular.

#44 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10294 posts) -

It's because he's Black. Society is always keeping the Black man down.

#45 Edited by magicalclick (21758 posts) -

It is not the first time I have seen highly intelligent man having poor asset management. Yes, there is probably more to it, but, if they spend it wisely, their earnings shouldn't get to where they are because they make enough money to have some sort of emergency fund and insurance plan. And yes, I have seen it quite often. The book smart people often forgot to look at their balance sheet because they think they are smart enough and they make enough money. Includes my friend who worked for Google with 6 figures salary had struggled to pay back the money he borrowed from me. So many times I have to skip collecting the payment because he has to pay the excess debt on his credit card. And I was only making 35K at the time. It was fine because he just got started and I was able to stay home and save. But, with better money management, he would be able to pay me back on time.

#46 Edited by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@loco145 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eNPAH46oI8

Another sucker who felt for the education bubble.

Maybe he LIKED studying them?

Don't bring that up here. College is strictly for making money - it doesn't surprise me that suicide rates and depression are so high nowadays, with people working at areas they haven't the slightest interest in.

@TC: that's something Americans and Europeans will have to get used to. Spain has an 11% unemployment rate, but they have better social welfare programs than the US, so (at least for now) their unemployed can count on State-provided housing, food and the minimal conditions for living. Unemployment isn't exclusive to people without a higher-degree education.

#47 Edited by majicmazo1 (6 posts) -

@GazaAli: sleeping in a church or a shelter does not mean you have a home, its very possible to be forced into a homeless situation in the US, ive been their and trust me its no picnic

#48 Posted by ShepardCommandr (1511 posts) -

I'd bet there's more to the story...

#49 Posted by VaguelyTagged (9839 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I never associate being homeless with attributions like social class, education, financial situation...etc. In today's world, unless you're living in Somalia and maybe China, its practically impossible to find yourself in a situation where you have no other place to sleep but on the street. Even in the worst third world countries you'll find a mosque or a church that would take you in.

Being a hobo is you telling yourself and the world I give up on it all, fuck it.

as far as i know most mosques are closed during the nights here in iran. lol

#50 Posted by comp_atkins (30761 posts) -

I'd bet there's more to the story...

there always is