Zelda: A Debatable Thought

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadow406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 shadow406
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Zelda series, but something about the series is getting a little old, which is Ganondorf (or Ganon). In many of the Zelda titles Ganon has been the main villain who you must destroy thus saving the world. And personally, Ganon just isn't that great of an enemy any longer.

While my buddies and I were playing through twilight princess and saw Zant for the first time we were like, "Whoa! This guy is badass!" and we actually felt like he was a threat, which was quite refreshing in the Zelda series. But then Ganondorf came back and it was just kind of "meh".

It's gotten to the point where we've all seen Ganon too many times and now every time I see him in a Zelda game it's just like, "Well, I've beaten you many times before, what makes you so badass now."

Don't get me wrong though, the Zelda series is an excellent series, which I love. However, new villains keep the games fresh. What is your opinion on this thought? *Bare in mind it is just a debatable thought. Please do not flip out like a crazed monkey if you disagree with me. Please be mature about your responses.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#2 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Don't worry, Phantom Hourglass won't have Ganon.
shadow406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 shadow406
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts
sweet
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
TO be honest I would like Ganondorf to show up as much as possible. I mean to me he is so badass and one of my favorite villains. Also we tecnally had a different villain for TP and I like how he looked.
kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 kariyanine
Member since 2003 • 435 Posts

Don't get me wrong though, the Zelda series is an excellent series, which I love. However, new villains keep the games fresh. What is your opinion on this thought? *Bare in mind it is just a debatable thought. Please do not flip out like a crazed monkey if you disagree with me. Please be mature about your responses.

shadow406

If you break it down to basics we have been playing a variation of the same game since the original Legend of Zelda. Gannon is part of that formula. Sure we might want to see a new villain but would it still be the Legend of Zelda without Gannon?

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts
As a zelda fan I feel the exact same way. While Ganon certainly looks and fights like a real villain in TP, I've beaten him so many times before it's hard to feel impressed. I think Ganon should become similar to Cid in FF games for future Zelda titles. Have him be different people and different roles but with the same name just to keep touch with the games roots.
TigerFangRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 TigerFangRed
Member since 2005 • 1928 Posts
I have to agree. Also, ZIMdoom, you make a good point too. Make him into the Cid of the Zelda series. Good idea.
BrokenTriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrokenTriforce
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts
I understand what you mean. Overall, I think if the difficulty of all bosses were to increase, maybe ganon near invincible,it would solve the problem. The thing with leaving out ganon is that you leave out part of the triforce. Leave out the triforce and you break apart from the legend of a hero with courage facing the power of evil. Leave out the triforce then you might as well leave out zelda and the master sword. Yes, other zelda games have been good without ganon but none of them felt quite as epic as the ones where he was in.
Hippostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hippostrike
Member since 2006 • 1014 Posts

Did you read the dialogue in TP? Zant was anything but badass.

I think that Zelda could use some more villans but what is really needed is a huge boost in difficulty. I'm getting tired of being able to play through Zeldas and never dieing. A Ganon that is nearly impossible to beat would bring back the epic feel that he once had.

Turning him into Zelda's Cid would be a terrible idea. It would ruin the feel of the character if they turned the King of Evil into some dumbass npc.

big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 big_mak123
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
I am probably going to get flamed for this but whatever I think they should turn zelda into an action rpg kinda like kingdom hearts. It would make the game much more difficult and they can make each boss extremly harder and higher in levels than you. But keep the main story the same and add a few twists this would be cool IMO
natebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 natebayne
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

wtf? Ganon old? you are no zelda fan.. OUT.. GET OUT I SAY

Ganon is THE Zelda bad guy....

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
I would agree with you, if not for the extremely badass way Ganondorf is presented throughout the game.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I dont think Ganon will appear after the Wind Waker series, unless somehow he is revived by some evil dudeagain.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts

ganon has always been one of my favorite villains and i enjoy seeing him in zelda games. he's not that hard but he always gives me a fun fight. and i always like the surroundings in the fight, like in WW i realy enjoyed the water pooring down around the sides. i think thats what i like so much about zelda is all the different areas and people. and every once in awhile there is still a puzzle that stumps me ( usually something so simple i dont think about it ). i think they should have the normal difficulty and continue on what they are doing but once you beat the game you gain hard mode and then maybe expert if anyone actually wants to play through it 3 times.

furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

Don't worry, Phantom Hourglass won't have Ganon.GamerForca

nope, and minish cap didn't have him either.

wertyui5467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wertyui5467
Member since 2006 • 1138 Posts

I am probably going to get flamed for this but whatever I think they should turn zelda into an action rpg kinda like kingdom hearts. It would make the game much more difficult and they can make each boss extremly harder and higher in levels than you. But keep the main story the same and add a few twists this would be cool IMObig_mak123

...I will @#$!%#& kill you I hate kingdom hearts so much I beat the first one and thought that it was okay... but KH2 was %@$%and for a game that long it did'nt have a nearly good enought story... however did any one think that rather than changing the final boss ... Nintendo should make Zelda the hero of their online service so I tthink that a online Zelda should be made like lets say a Zelda MMO... NOT A MMORPG just an MMO!!...Thoughts?

RPFcorvette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RPFcorvette
Member since 2005 • 281 Posts

They should make a zelda series game where you actually get to play as gannon, that would put a fun twist to it.

RPFcorvette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RPFcorvette

They should make a zelda series game where you actually get to play as gannon, that would put a fun twist to it.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
I would like to see more of Vaati, but to leave out Ganon all together would be bad.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Taking out ganon/ganondorf would ruin the main Zelda story. Besides Ganon is one of the most badass bosses even if he isn't the hardest, so they may just need to up his difficulty.The end fight with Ganon in TP was epic but I felt like it was a little too easy.
soul_peeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_peeker
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Zelda series, but something about the series is getting a little old, which is Ganondorf (or Ganon). In many of the Zelda titles Ganon has been the main villain who you must destroy thus saving the world. And personally, Ganon just isn't that great of an enemy any longer.

While my buddies and I were playing through twilight princess and saw Zant for the first time we were like, "Whoa! This guy is badass!" and we actually felt like he was a threat, which was quite refreshing in the Zelda series. But then Ganondorf came back and it was just kind of "meh".

It's gotten to the point where we've all seen Ganon too many times and now every time I see him in a Zelda game it's just like, "Well, I've beaten you many times before, what makes you so badass now."

shadow406

I totally see where you're coming from, Shadow406. I personally agree that the same ol' Ganondorf is getting pretty stale. Although, considering the recurring characters is a part of the franchise, I personally think they should try doing something new and fresh with a Ganon character (descendent? Or whatever Link and Zelda always are- different people, same namesake). Make him younger, have him as a rival, ... make him a new species... leader of a neighboring country ... whatever. Just not the same, he turns into Pig Ganon, then you fight him again, etc. ... That's my opinion of course.

Avatar image for silversurfergold
silversurfergold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversurfergold
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts
I'm not sick of Ganon yet, but in Twilight Princess I thought they kind of rushed him into the story. It felt they threw him in to keep tradition.
big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 big_mak123

[QUOTE="big_mak123"]I am probably going to get flamed for this but whatever I think they should turn zelda into an action rpg kinda like kingdom hearts. It would make the game much more difficult and they can make each boss extremly harder and higher in levels than you. But keep the main story the same and add a few twists this would be cool IMOwertyui5467

...I will @#$!%#& kill you I hate kingdom hearts so much I beat the first one and thought that it was okay... but KH2 was %@$%and for a game that long it did'nt have a nearly good enought story... however did any one think that rather than changing the final boss ... Nintendo should make Zelda the hero of their online service so I tthink that a online Zelda should be made like lets say a Zelda MMO... NOT A MMORPG just an MMO!!...Thoughts?

but a leveling up system would be better cause in zelda games you do the same amount of damage every time but if they add a leveling up system link would get more depth into his character and either get really strong or stay weak
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GamerForca
[QUOTE="wertyui5467"]

[QUOTE="big_mak123"]I am probably going to get flamed for this but whatever I think they should turn zelda into an action rpg kinda like kingdom hearts. It would make the game much more difficult and they can make each boss extremly harder and higher in levels than you. But keep the main story the same and add a few twists this would be cool IMObig_mak123

but a leveling up system would be better cause in zelda games you do the same amount of damage every time but if they add a leveling up system link would get more depth into his character and either get really strong or stay weak

Which would really suck. I've always loved the Zelda series because I don't have to train for hours and level up between every dungeon. I mean, personally I don't want to have to level up for days before fighting the final boss, I'd just rather walk in there and fight. And you don't do the same amount of damage every time, you get better items and armor as you progress and your attacks deal more and you take less damage.

big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 big_mak123
[QUOTE="big_mak123"][QUOTE="wertyui5467"]

[QUOTE="big_mak123"]I am probably going to get flamed for this but whatever I think they should turn zelda into an action rpg kinda like kingdom hearts. It would make the game much more difficult and they can make each boss extremly harder and higher in levels than you. But keep the main story the same and add a few twists this would be cool IMOGamerForca

Which would really suck. I've always loved the Zelda series because I don't have to train for hours and level up between every dungeon. I mean, personally I don't want to have to level up for days before fighting the final boss, I'd just rather walk in there and fight. And you don't do the same amount of damage every time, you get better items and armor as you progress and your attacks deal more and you take less damage.

yea thats what i want changed though in all of zelda you can just walk into the room with a fairy in your bottle and potion and some light arrows.... TADAAA how fun is that is makes the game to EASY and it makes it go by so much quicker they need to add more difficulty and a leveling up system would do just that. also im not saying make it turn based but an action rpg would change a lot and give it a fresh start so when you play you dont always say to yourself " hey didnt i already do this" or "wow this seems familiar"
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
I think there are more than a few aspects of the game that need to be reworked.
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
Yeah, it's getting annoying that he turns up almost every game. :|
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
a spoiler warning woulda been nice
Potemkin2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Potemkin2005
Member since 2005 • 1771 Posts
I think Ganon should become similar to Cid in FF games for future Zelda titles. Have him be different people and different roles but with the same name just to keep touch with the games roots.ZIMdoom
Ugh, that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Ganon is too closely related to evil in long time Zelda fans' minds for Nintendo to give his name away to some random NPC character. I don't have anything against giving him a rest as the main villain, but it would be just awful to cheapen his name the way you suggest.
DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
A more interesting thought is why is the game always called Zelda even though you never get to play as her and she seems to often have a minor role in each game. Was she even in Majora's Mask? I don't even remember... I'm fairly certain she wasn't in the gameboy Zelda where you have to wake up the big egg, forget the name of that one too.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GamerForca

yea thats what i want changed though in all of zelda you can just walk into the room with a fairy in your bottle and potion and some light arrows.... TADAAA how fun is that is makes the game to EASY and it makes it go by so much quicker they need to add more difficulty and a leveling up system would do just that. also im not saying make it turn based but an action rpg would change a lot and give it a fresh start so when you play you dont always say to yourself " hey didnt i already do this" or "wow this seems familiar"big_mak123

Or they could just make it so that Ganon takes 8 of your hearts out with one swipe and give him much more health. And that would work seeing as all you could do in TP was use your sword against him. Leveling up takes a lot of the sense of adventure out of a game when you have to walk around in the same place for hours.

mrlinno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrlinno
Member since 2004 • 608 Posts

[spoilers]

I kind of agree that the battle I had against Zant felt much more climactic than the final battle vs. Ganondorf out in Hyrule Field. I also agree that introducing new bosses mixes it up and creates more variety in the game. Ganondorf is becoming too stock and is beginning to lose character. He's just evil. He has no other motive other than power. The best kinds of villians are the kinds that have something else about them. Thats what gave the Ganondorf in WW so much character rather than the one in TP. Either make Ganondorf a more flexible character or stop making him the same. That's what I say.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
Maybe they make an even bigger evil than Ganondorf like the Gods of Destruction and Ganondorf could be a playable character through certain parts of the game because he wants to destroy the Gods and sometimes he meets with Link and they fight like rivals.
RPFcorvette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RPFcorvette

Maybe they make an even bigger evil than Ganondorf like the Gods of Destruction and Ganondorf could be a playable character through certain parts of the game because he wants to destroy the Gods and sometimes he meets with Link and they fight like rivals.Lord_Omikron666

Yea i agree. That's kinda what i said earlier but not in depth.

rafasosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rafasosa
Member since 2007 • 22835 Posts
I understand what you mean. Overall, I think if the difficulty of all bosses were to increase, maybe ganon near invincible,it would solve the problem. The thing with leaving out ganon is that you leave out part of the triforce. Leave out the triforce and you break apart from the legend of a hero with courage facing the powerof evil. Leave out the triforce then you might as well leave out zelda and the master sword. Yes, other zelda games have been good without ganon but none of them felt quite as epic as the ones where he was in.BrokenTriforce
That's true, besides you can see it on Majora's Mask it's awesome game but it's not as epic as Ocarina of Time, I'm not saying that those other Zelda games are bad, just that they are different histories of Hyrule
LINK2207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LINK2207
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts
Actually, what I think we need is one of those major plot twists. IMO, I would something like this. Instead of the common your the one tyo defeat Ganon or something. have something like maybe it was Link's dad who defeated him and of course have him die to keep the family stuff out of links life like always. As link grows up he makes a good friend and all. From there simply add some sort of devastating evil type stuff in when both of them are older. Somehow link friends gets turned into a evil dude and later in the game it be revealed for him to be the reincarnation of ganon and so and so forth.
justiceboy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#39 justiceboy13
Member since 2004 • 11295 Posts
I agree, I found Zant far more interesting than Ganon, butI think their relationship was kind of neat, with the god thing going on and stuff.
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
a spoiler warning woulda been niceWild_Card
KAL_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KAL_MAN
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

As much as I love the zelda series and would like to resort to ignorant fanboyism, I have to agree with you. Ganon is getting old. and nintendo has proven that they can create more, and just-as-badass-as-ganon villains. Zant, Majora, vaati, etc...

KAL_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KAL_MAN

ganon isn't really a gripe for me. Link, however, is. I think they should change the main character, just once to see if it works. and they can totally pull it off. think if Ganondorf was the main character. Or shiek from OoT.

DarkMagik9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkMagik9
Member since 2004 • 1709 Posts

shadow406

Not flip out? You're in the Wii forum where all the fanboys gather ready to eat you alive!

Anyways, I agree with you that Ganon has been in the series far too often, which leads to a larger problem I have with the series of late as in that its always been the same thing over and over. The series just hasn't evolved much at all.

Hopefully the next iteration Nintendo will be willing to change things up. Zelda really needs to evolve even if its just changing the main villian.

KAL_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KAL_MAN
[QUOTE="shadow406"]

DarkMagik9

Not flip out? You're in the Wii forum where all the fanboys gather ready to eat you alive!

Anyways, I agree with you that Ganon has been in the series far too often, which leads to a larger problem I have with the series of late as in that its always been the same thing over and over. The series just hasn't evolved much at all.

Hopefully the next iteration Nintendo will be willing to change things up. Zelda really needs to evolve even if its just changing the main villian.

I think we are past the "evolution" stuff. Nintendo needs to go back to basics and make the next one a "revolution."

Parapsyche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Parapsyche
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts

(Spoilers!!)

The problem with Ganondorf in TP was that he lacked depth, I think. They seemed to have rushed him in...it's like they were trying to pull the same idea as A Link to the Past, in which Agahnim was possessed by Ganon, but they used Zant instead. Although in ALTTP, it worked much better because you found out it was Ganon earlier and he kind of loomed in the shadows. In TP, it was just like "OMG HERE'S GANON, NOW KILL HIM TO DEATH!" (I feel, anyway). It's like they just had him in there because they had to. Also, he was horribly easy to defeat.

Now, Ganon in Wind Waker is an entirely different story. He was a very well established character with some really understandable motives. If there's one thing that makes a good villain, it's when you can see and understand their purpose for what they're doing. They accomplished that really well with Ganondorf in Wind Waker. I figured they'd convey him the same way in TP, give more of his backstory, give him some real motivation for doing what he's doing, but they didn't. I remember an old article said that Ganon in TPwould take a much more active role...but he was completely dormant until the end of the game! I figured by active, they meant like, he would be searching for Link in an effort to "Kill all of (OoT)Link's descendants", as he promised at the end of Ocarina, or that he'd be a very prominent character in the story. However, this never really happened and it kind of made Ganon fall short as a good villain in TP.

I think that Ganondorf can absolutely be a great villain, as was shown in Wind Waker. If they can flesh him out as a strong character while still having him be the main villain, as well as a decent challenge, I think he's a perfect enemy for Link. And Nintendo definitely needs to ramp up the difficulty in Zelda games now. If there's one thing that amazed me in TP with respect to its difficulty and damage, it's that the rolling traps and swinging blades in the Temple of Time only did a quarter heart worth of damage! Or it could've been half a heart...but c'mon! Those traps are huge...they should be doing about 3 hearts worth of damage. There were lots of enemies and obstacles in TP that were just way too weak or easy to dispose of.

l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts
I agree with you, he is getting quite old...
Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sushimaster
Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts

ganon isn't really a gripe for me. Link, however, is. I think they should change the main character, just once to see if it works. and they can totally pull it off. think if Ganondorf was the main character. Or shiek from OoT.

KAL_MAN

Change... the main... ARe you NuTs? I think they should change the look. I want a scary Zelda game.

WITH VOICE ACTING!!!

Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sushimaster
Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts
Like instead of green, Link could be brown. Or even better... A GIRL!!! Make the Link character a girl, and the Zelda character a guy!!! ITS BRILLIANT!!!