Would you like the idea of a DS Go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I've been thinking about this. With the DSi and the SD card, it's already kind of happening, you know, a downloadable future. Like the PSPGo.

I wouldn't mind. The DS cards are so tiny, they get lost easily, I hate carrying them around with so much extra baggage, and changing carts is a pain. But imagine having all your favorites on one memory card or on a DS internal hard drive?

That'd be pretty awesome when you think about it. For example, I'd love to have...

• New Super Mario Bros.
  • Tetris DS
  • Planet Puzzle League
  • Peggle Dual Shot
  • Contra IV
  • Metroid Prime Hunters
  • Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX
  • etc.

...all on one SD card!

Anyway, what do you guys think? Would you mind Nintendo going all download for the next DS model or maybe even for the DS2?

I think it will happen. It's inevitable.

flinnha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 flinnha
Member since 2006 • 1890 Posts
Why buy a new system only to have to repurchase games you've already played in downloadable format? If the next gen DS is only download without carts and you were starting with all new games, maybe. But I think Ninty is already taking that direction (DSiWare anyone?)
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="flinnha"]Why buy a new system only to have to repurchase games you've already played in downloadable format? If the next gen DS is only download without carts and you were starting with all new games, maybe. But I think Ninty is already taking that direction (DSiWare anyone?)

Yeah that's what I mean. Either the next DS or DS2.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
hmm... no. i'm against downloadable-only media. physical is safer, as hard to believe as it is. anything can erase your internal memory, any glitch can end your account, any hacker can ruin your downloaded games profile. besides, i really like going to a store and looking at all those boxarts and then picking a game and leaving with it on my hands. not to mention the PSPGo is uncomfortable as hell.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I'd need a bigger SD Card.

And plus, with an SD Card = Computer = Hackers = No fun. :(

It's a cool idea though. But then of course all of the PSP fanboys would be like: "KNEETENDOO TOTALLEE LYK COPIED PSPGOGOGOGO!"

And that wouldn't be cool. :(

GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

I don't see much of a future for downloadable games on the DS, considering there's a card you can buy that plays downloaded game files from the PC onr the DS.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
no because it would just be another thing i would miss out on
Avatar image for TehAwesomePwner
TehAwesomePwner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 TehAwesomePwner
Member since 2009 • 158 Posts

Maybe, seems alright; I'd probably try it.

korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]hmm... no. i'm against downloadable-only media. physical is safer, as hard to believe as it is. anything can erase your internal memory, any glitch can end your account, any hacker can ruin your downloaded games profile. besides, i really like going to a store and looking at all those boxarts and then picking a game and leaving with it on my hands. not to mention the PSPGo is uncomfortable as hell.

My thoughts. I also trade and lend my games, so this wouldn't be for me.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I'm on;y 15 so no credit card so I say no even if I did have a credit card I woould still say no I like the physical copies of games

Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts

hmm... I recall something like that from back when I was young and stupid - but these days I'll stick to carts, thanks. Someday? Yeah, if the iPod touch continues to dominate the market. However, I've grown tired of iPod gaming over time because of the lack of depth. It severly counters the quantity of titles.

appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I would like a DS that I could download retail games to, but I wouldn't want to give up on cartridges completely. They're very small, not like they're too much of an inconvenience. My Hori 16-game pack makes taking a lot of games on the go a breeze, too.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

I'd love this idea to 'GO' away...:|

-Beatz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 -Beatz-
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts

...Why? You can use any flashcart and a microSD to store all of your games on one cart, and it isn't piracy when you have the games physically, in the same way emulating old consoles isn't piracy, if you have the BIOS files from your console.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

Hmm...I suppose I'd try it as long as it's not as insanely expensive as the PSP GO (no, I'm not trying to start a comparison here).

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#16 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

No thanks. Most of the digital distribution done today is at a lower cost for the game publishers, but we aren't seeing the savings on this end. You think they will pass on savings when they don't have competition from cartridges? Yeah right.

I also am not a fan of having someone else in control of my games. They could basically stop offering games on their servers, or maybe even remove the games from your system and there is nothing you can do about it. Just look at what Amazon did on the kindle. People woke up one day to see something they paid for missing.

Lastly as a collector, I simply want to have the physical copies for display.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

destroyerHHH
achievement unlocked: rotten tomato: for replying to a topic with an awful pun :P
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

[QUOTE="destroyerHHH"]

BrunoBRS

achievement unlocked: rotten tomato: for replying to a topic with an awful pun :P

Lol. But seriously, I was never a fan of digital downloads and living in a country where Nintendo Points aren't even available, it doesn't work for me. And then there's this.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#19 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
Almost forgot. I know file sizes on hand-held games aren't too large yet but the fact remains that many high-speed internet companies are trying (or already are) placing bandwidth caps. They want to limit you to some measly amount of bandwidth per month or lower the speed at which they define high-speed(which here in the U.S. is already lower than most other countries). If broadband companies get their way and games go digital, you'll either be paying double(or more) what you are right now for high-speed OR you'll have to seriously limit how much you watch/download. This means less youtube, less Hulu, less itunes, less DLC, less online multiplayer, less skype/vonage, ect. ect.
Avatar image for destinys_martyr
destinys_martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 destinys_martyr
Member since 2004 • 126 Posts
[QUOTE="flinnha"]Why buy a new system only to have to repurchase games you've already played in downloadable format? If the next gen DS is only download without carts and you were starting with all new games, maybe. But I think Ninty is already taking that direction (DSiWare anyone?)

All systems on all platforms will eventually be download only. Saves the companies tons of money in printing and shipping games, and it makes more sense to just let someone purchase then download the title.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

I'll say no for the same reason I decided to get a PSP3000 last month instead of waiting for the Go: I like having phyiscal copies of games. Also, one good thing about the Go is that people who already have PSP's will still be able to download these games and store them on a Memory Stick and play them, but if they did the same thing for DS, only people who have DSi's will have access to it. If there was a way to get it so that all DS owners, regardless of model, could access these games I'm sure this could help a lot of people and I would have no problem if Nintendo did implement this, but I personally would not use it either way.

lord_thorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lord_thorno
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
I like Downloading To have every game in one SD card its really much easier and safe for me looking after 1 kid is always easier then looking after 10 ;)
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

I couldn't imagine losing the SD card with so many games on it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="destroyerHHH"]

destroyerHHH

Lol. But seriously, I was never a fan of digital downloads and living in a country where Nintendo Points aren't even available, it doesn't work for me. And then there's this.

3 things: 1- i'm in the same situation as you 2- i think exactly like myiamoto. even though i have an iTunes account, i never download anything from there. i go to the store and buy the CD. 3- what the hell happened to all other pics of myia? this is the only one i've seen for the past years (oh, and that one from TP, where he swings a master sword & hyrule shield replica around... i want them -.- ). this is getting worse with the time. soon, it'll be like poor einstein, condemned to be remembered by that pic where the photographer asked him to "make a different face" :P
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

2- i think exactly like myiamoto. even though i have an iTunes account, i never download anything from there. i go to the store and buy the CD.

BrunoBRS

Same here... Unless it's like, K- or J- music. That costs too much to import.

Or if it's just one song, but I feel better with material items as well. I mean, if you lose your "DS aGoGO" you lose all of the games too which is why this idea could never work...

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

No it's already too easy to do that (although illegal) and it's really annoying to see so many people doing it that I know. When I say that I bought a DS game they laugh and say why would you do that? :| I just prefer the real thing and I really hate digital distribution and the way things are going.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Old school carts all the way, I mean sure I have downloaded a few games from Wii Ware and 360 Arcade, but only because they are unavaible otherwise, but really i want to be able to see the game i am buying, i want to be able to trade it if i dislike the game, i don't mind if they use both options but if companys stop making Disk/Cart based games and have just Downloadable games i will not be happy.
hashabnelah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hashabnelah
Member since 2009 • 347 Posts

Something to mention about downloaded games. If we are not satisfied with one, we could not ask for a refund. With a physical copy, we can return it to the store where it was purchased for a refund.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story

Something to mention about downloaded games. If we are not satisfied with one, we could not ask for a refund. With a physical copy, we can return it to the store where it was purchased for a refund.

hashabnelah

Not unless you open it. Unless you're talking about used games at Gamestop.

Only thing downloadable future will do is make Gamestop's used game sales out of business!

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

yes and no

add DS games to DSi shop

sell $35 games for 2000 Nintendo Points or 2500, sell $20 games for 1500 Nintendo points (no packaging, no extra costs)

they could all fit on a SDHC card easily

give them to me nintendo, no need for a DS go, the PSP go is a dumb idea but thats off topic and for SW

the DSi can do this, it can.

xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 xylophagous
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

I'm not a big fan of this idea. Nothing wrong with digital downloads, but I don't like it for the DS. DS carts are tiny but I don't think they're easy to lose - at least I've never lost one yet. And you can easily carry around a large selection of games that weighs only a few grams and fits into your pocket. I think that we might see digital only releases one day- but they won't be any cheaper etc - it will simpy mean that the producer gets all of the money rather than having to pay middle men like games stores.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
for full games, no i want a cartridge for smaller stuff like they already got with dsiware, then yes, its excellent (but not that its region coded, so having only down loadable and all region coded would suck alot) so i think a combo is best cant really picture myself buying a system with only the option to download downloading pc games and movies and songs have existed for long but i still dont buy it downloaded i want the whole package