Would you like Nintendo to make a Steam-like service

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Would you like Nintendo to make a Steam-like service (9 votes)

Yes 89%
No 11%

Thoughts and choices

• 
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Yes. More competitors in that space isn't a bad thing.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5: Exactly.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Well its kind of pointless if you're a console maker. Steam serves the same purpose as a console does.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nintendo4evar

@Sepewrath: Right.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

You make real thought-provoking threads. That is really tough for me to answer. There is always the fear of paying too much and losing your games and investment if the service is cancelled. Price of games is a big consideration and backwards compatibility. I have warmed up to the idea of a Nintendo Steam-like service, but I still have some reservations. To be honest I really don't know that much about Steam to know all of the pros and cons. I can't vote right now.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nintendo4evar

@Collie_Lover: Oh ok, that's perfectly fine.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

in what sense? they already do digital distribution for all their games using the estore. so in that sense they have a steam like service. the other stuff like friends and community features are in others parts of the console/handheld OS.

if your talking about basically moving the estore to the PC....its a poser.

if the NX is another disaster then it would be an interesting thing to look at. it could give nintendo a lot of console like control without making the console and having all the estore games available for the PC could draw a lot of people (though porting them all would be quite an effort).

they could still sell peripherials and things like amiibo could certainly continue. they could also do with capcom did for their MT framework engine and essentially set a refernece spec for a PC in house, make this known and develop their games to that spec.

but they would be in direct competition with steam, origin, GOG and so on. still with nintendo games exclsuive to their service it could be a big draw.

if they had to get out of the console market (god forbid) then going that route would be better than going multiplat imho. it would still be their platform...they would still have a stake in its success.

if the NX is a success though then no.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@Collie_Lover said:

There is always the fear of paying too much and losing your games and investment if the service is cancelled.

The great thing about Steam is that you can keep backup copies of all your games. I keep backups of mine on an external hard drive for easy reinstallation. If Steam were to go bankrupt, you would still have your games. It's not like OnLive, where your games are streamed from the cloud. When OnLive went down the tube, people lost their games.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:
@Collie_Lover said:

There is always the fear of paying too much and losing your games and investment if the service is cancelled.

The great thing about Steam is that you can keep backup copies of all your games. I keep backups of mine on an external hard drive for easy reinstallation. If Steam were to go bankrupt, you would still have your games. It's not like OnLive, where your games are streamed from the cloud. When OnLive went down the tube, people lost their games.

I see-that sounds good.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

If the Nintendo steam service was compatible with my computer hardware and system, then I think that might be good. As for using it on the Nintendo consoles, when isn't that what the E-shop is sorta like?

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

Well, Nintendo actually opening their own PC service would be a neat idea. Also selling their games on Steam while retaining the service ala Ubisoft should also win people over.