Winter (IGN's Wii's cancelled dark game revealed) UPDATE: Video!!

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

http://wii.ign.com/articles/946/946492p1.html

Its a shame that no publisher gave this a chance. I'm not into horror games but this looks great

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Unfortunate when a promising game gets rejected.

Edit: Just saw the video. Impressive the game was made in only 6 weeks with 12 people. I like how they used the Lord of the Rings music as a placeholder for the wolf battle :P.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
That game didnt look so go at all.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
it doesn't sound like 100% cancelled but they can't get a publisher so if we are lucky it be picked up and finished it looks close to being done
seivohc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 seivohc
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts

"For example, the flashlight will flicker at times, requiring players to tap the Wii Remote against their hands until it starts working properly."

Nice.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
That game actually seemed interesting. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't pick the game up seeing how they picked up Geist.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

....awww cmon! wtf?!!?! this looks awesome! :cry:

Winter Picture

this seriously makes me angry that they never got a chance, hopefully a good publisher (sega) will get on this

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
this really saddens me being a classic survival horror fan
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Publishers seem frustrating when it comes to the Wii. Except prehaps Sega.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts
There's no market for these types of games on the Wii. That's why publishers won't approach them. Sucks.
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts
the in game pics made it look alot like the first few silent hill games when you wonder the streets. id probably try a game like this if one ever did come out on the wii. it would be nice to have a game like that on the wii since i dont really like many of the recent games
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Wow, even Sega rejected it after publishing mature based games like MadWorld and The Conduit? I'll never understand third parties and the Wii. This is really disappointing, the game looks great.

If Nintendo wants better support for their systems, they really need to step up in situations like this and provide some form of help because this just isn't right at all.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Maybe they'll find a publisher in the future.Looks promising.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Erebyssial

There's no market for these types of games on the Wii. That's why publishers won't approach them. Sucks.OniStrat

Resident Evil 4 and Umbrella Chronicles are the same genre and have both sold over a million copies, they really have no excuse.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Sign the "We Want Winter for the Wii" petition !

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?wiinter

seivohc
I signed it :D
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bc1391

seivohc
Thanks for linking this, I forgot to add it in :P
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bc1391

Video

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14315298/winter/videos/Winter01.html

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

THAT IS TERRIBLE!

I'm really surpirsed that Nintendo themselves didn't pick this up as well. But on the other hand...I don't remember Geist flying off the shelves either. That's too bad, because the game looked pretty good for not having a publisher.

I wonder if they payed IGN to create a little buzz for it, so they would pick someone like HV did. (I don't blame them if they did)

Strangely, this game kind of reminds me of Alone in the Dark

seivohc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 seivohc
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts

Footage looks really nice.

Oh, and what's up with the LOTR music when the wolf appears?

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="seivohc"]

Michael0134567
I signed it :D

i did also i just hope it do good i don't seem petitions doing any good inless they have over 50k signs
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Being in all that survival horror has been assimilated by the shooter genre, its refreshing to see a classic survival horror game. However its not refreshing to hear that developers are still resting on their laurals when it comes to projects for the Wii that is not cheap shovelware. The Wii itself was built on a risk and Nintendo is raking in millions on that risk and still people don't follow that example. Instead of latching on to the grand idea of Nintendo risk for the reward. They avoid the risk by focusing on one minute detail of the idea. Which is going after the market of people who play things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Its a shame it seemed like a promising title, I would love to see what they would do with it. I hope that someone gives this game a chance but we need show publishers that there is a market for these kind of games. By actually giving new IPs a chance.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Haha, I like the placeholder music! The wolves are taking the hobbits to iesenguard!
SynisterGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SynisterGamer
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts
That looked awesome :(
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bc1391

Its starting to get some notice, I hope it pulls off a Conduit (meaning word of mouth leads to interest from pulishers)

here

here

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts
This game actually looks really good. In the gameplay video, when the girl fights the wolf it sounds like Lord of the Rings music straight from the movies. And that creature walking towards her in the hallway looks like something from Silent Hill. I really hope this game gets a publisher, I'd definitly buy it if it came to the Wii.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
It's too bad.
snapfreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 snapfreeze
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

Footage looks really nice.

Oh, and what's up with the LOTR music when the wolf appears?

seivohc
Was that LOTR music? I thought it was Conan, lol. I assume they just used something as a filler, to show how the music kicks in for combat.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts
game looks sick. i understand why they cancelled it. mature games don't do well on the wii and its a financial risk to put out a game that possibly won't sell well. I still hope Sadness comes out later this year but I have a strong feeling it will just get cancelled.
Huell_Howser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Huell_Howser
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts

this game looks sick. like a cross between old school point and click adventures and survival horror. Why do so many wii games with great potential either die or get Japan-only releases? This, Fatal Frame, Sadness, Fragile, etc.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Winter? Just like me!
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
This is what the previous generations has done for us. If they kept this extremely low budget and turned it into wiiware (episodic?) or simply a lowbudget low priced game (no more heroes, but with a slightly lowered price >.>), i think it wouldn't be much of a risk at all.
Use free marketing (youtube, fora and stuff), and it wouldn't have to sell much to be a success...
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
Dear Sega I know you guys are already publishing a handful of core games for the Wii, can you please publish this cancelled game "Winter"(visit IGN's wii section for more info) to your list. Thank you for sparking this "Wii Revolution" Sega, Nintendo supporters will be forever in your debt.
killB_O_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 killB_O_T
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts
We'll all get our money together and we'll publish this game. :P
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
Pisses me off when I read stuff like this. Hope someone will pick it up...
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
i dunno... it looks good, too good for ubi, too different for SEGA, the only people who i can really see picking this up is capcom or nintendo, and capcom already has RE, but who knows, maybe more is more?
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
We'll all get our money together and we'll publish this game. :PkillB_O_T
I was thinking this as well. There needs to be a relatively safe way for gamers to invest in the games they want to see. Essentially, put down $10-$25 to get the developer the money they need to develop the game. And, upon release, the gamer receives a "free" copy. The hard part would be finding enough people willing to put in money. Also, there'd have to be some sort of place the money needed to develop the game was obtained, otherwise you could be throwing your money away. And, if the game becomes vaporware because not enough funding could be obtained, then you get your money refunded (since it was never spent).
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

[QUOTE="killB_O_T"]We'll all get our money together and we'll publish this game. :PSkie7
I was thinking this as well. There needs to be a relatively safe way for gamers to invest in the games they want to see. Essentially, put down $10-$25 to get the developer the money they need to develop the game. And, upon release, the gamer receives a "free" copy. The hard part would be finding enough people willing to put in money. Also, there'd have to be some sort of place the money needed to develop the game was obtained, otherwise you could be throwing your money away. And, if the game becomes vaporware because not enough funding could be obtained, then you get your money refunded (since it was never spent).

Of course it would have been spent.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
There's no market for these types of games on the Wii. That's why publishers won't approach them. Sucks.OniStrat
That's just BS. RE4 sold very well and it's, for some reason, considered a survival horror by most people. If marketed correctly, any game could do well on the Wii.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="OniStrat"]There's no market for these types of games on the Wii. That's why publishers won't approach them. Sucks.nintendo-4life
That's just BS. RE4 sold very well and it's, for some reason, considered a survival horror by most people. If marketed correctly, any game could do well on the Wii.

publishers say that RE4 is an exception because RE is an established franchise meaning it's popular and less risky to sell.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
This game looked very well done, such a shame to see it go.
GameOverKayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GameOverKayo
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts
But this game looks awesome :( I hope it doesnt get cancelled for good....
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
I think the sales of The Conduit, HOTD:Overkill and Madworld are pivotal in deciding the fate of this game. f they all sell well it will prove once and for all that there's an audience waiting for mature games on Wii. The game looks interesting to say the least. I like how the Wiimote and Nunchuck represent both of your hands. Also, the fixed camera adds a LOT of tension.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Erebyssial

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]There's no market for these types of games on the Wii. That's why publishers won't approach them. Sucks.lordlors

publishers say that RE4 is an exception because RE is an established franchise meaning it's popular and less risky to sell.

Which is silly because Resident Evil was a new IP at one point as well.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
everyone complaining about the publishers should look at it from their point of view for one minute. where the market synnergy and penetration potential and how does it fit into both the publishers and wiis portfolio......no ill have to stop there :P j/k. seriously it looks like a good idea. its a shame publishers are very reluctant to take it on. i suppose in these days though risk taking is a very hard sell to a publisher (though some would argue that risk taking is exactly what companies should be doing during the recession). it doesent make it right..in an ideal world games would be backed on their merit rather than their market potential but this is not an ideal world. the loudest voice is always the mighty dollar.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Oh dear Lord, no wonder that didn't get greenlighted. It's crap lol

Heck, that style game was past it's prime at the midway point of last gen. It's a complete insult to Wii owners that someone was trying to actually peddle this garbage on the Wii.

The fixed camera angles and stiff motions are outdated. The idea that "true" survival horror means lack of control and sight is just plain wrong. Lot of games have been able to recreate the horror and suspense of the genre without having to handicap the player.

Seriously, this is pure garbage all the way

Asking for this is asking for lower quality on the Wii. Thank God there's smart devs out there who wont touch this. Maybe when the devs learn to make a game that's for this decade they'll have someone pick them up

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Erebyssial

Heck, that style game was past it's prime at the midway point of last gen. It's a complete insult to Wii owners that someone was trying to actually peddle this garbage on the Wii.

The fixed camera angles and stiff motions are outdated. The idea that "true" survival horror means lack of control and sight is just plain wrong. Lot of games have been able to recreate the horror and suspense of the genre without having to handicap the player.

Asking for this is asking for lower quality on the Wii. Thank God there's smart devs out there who wont touch this. Maybe when the devs learn to make a game that's for this decade they'll have someone pick them up

Jaysonguy

What a surprise you're one of the first to hate the game :roll:

Just another one of your attempts to get attention by going against popular opinion. Saying that the game is asking for lower quality on Wii is just obvious flamebait.. don't make me laugh.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Jaysonguy

So you complain about all the remakes coming out like Pikmin, Mario Power Tennis, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, then have the nerve to say Nintendo's wasting there time remaking them instead of creating new games. Then information comes along like this and you say it's a complete insult to Wii owners that someone was trying to actually peddle this garbage on the Wii? Is there any pleasing you at all? Seriously, Nintendo may not be the one's publishing this game, but it's far from "garbage", as you describe it to be. It's a completely new game, just like you wanted, right Jaysonguy? So you must be taking back everything you've said about the remakes being a waste of time and blah blah blah because when new game's actually do come along you're more biased towards them then anything else. This was one gameplay video. As you must've read in the article you'd know that the game's production was hulted. Well, if it actually was to be published I'm sure developers would take the necessary time to fix all of the so called problems and make it better, possibly even update the graphic's. If it was to be published by Nintendo you can be sure it would be an outstanding game. For my sake and everyone else's here at Gamespot, I hope we never have to listen to you complain about the remakes ever again.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Saying that the game is asking for lower quality on Wii is just obvious flamebait.. don't make me laugh.

Erebyssial

And you not giving one single line of counterargument

Bravo

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

I thougt it looked pretty good, I liked the AI used with the wolf and the torch as it waits for an opening to attack you. It needs some polish in a few places but so did the Conduit before it was picked up. I also think there's scope out there for such a game. Lets be honest with a installed user base of nearly 50million Wiis a 1 in 50 uptake gets you a million sales!

However, I do wonder if they took the 'horror' out of it and made it a survival game along the lines of the film 'The Day After Tomorrow' whether it would be deemed to be more marketable.........?

Phil