Wii U with HDMI cable included, suprising!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

I know Nintendo is all HD this HD that now with the Wii U but I was actually suprised when they said an HDMI cable would be in the box. I thought they would pull a Sony or Microsoft and just toss in a composite cable even though thats the worst connection for the systems. I know HDMI cables are cheap but who else kinda expected some "Nintendo Brand HDMI Cable, Best for Wii U"?

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

i'm sure it will have the nintendo seal of approval lol
but ya i think it's awesome as well

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Considering Nintendo products cost less to make then they are to sell, it's about damn time Nintendo did something nice as a standard.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
probably since HDMI cords are a bit cheaper now than they were 6 years ago.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Thats because Nintendo does what they used to Nintendont! :P Seriously, Nintendo is making good on their work that they want to cater to the hardcore gamer this gen too. This entire day has been a huge "SUCK IT COMPETITION" fest.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
probably since HDMI cords are a bit cheaper now than they were 6 years ago.shockwave04
And even then, I could get them for seven or eight bucks.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It's about time, someone had to make them standard.
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

[QUOTE="shockwave04"]probably since HDMI cords are a bit cheaper now than they were 6 years ago.JustPlainLucas
And even then, I could get them for seven or eight bucks.

Lol.

I remember 5 years ago I found an HDMI cable on the ground. At the time I didn't know what it was as I only had an SD TV and couldn't afford the 360 or PS3.

Woo for free stuff.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I know Nintendo is all HD this HD that now with the Wii U but I was actually suprised when they said an HDMI cable would be in the box. I thought they would pull a Sony or Microsoft and just toss in a composite cable even though thats the worst connection for the systems. I know HDMI cables are cheap but who else kinda expected some "Nintendo Brand HDMI Cable, Best for Wii U"?

JuanGrande386

:|

HDMI cables are cheaper to make then analogue cables.

So who's surprised that they picked the cheapest option? Hopefully no one.

Of course this screws over a large chunk of their base but it's cheaper for them so they'll be content with charging for the analogue cables later on.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

HDMI cable is cheap as chips..lol not surprising at all. It should be expected to come with a HDMI cable since they didn't even include a wiimote & nunchuck.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Ive been using the same HDMI cable and digital opitical audio cable for my PS3 and 360 since the slim 360 came out. I probably wont even take the Wii U one outta the box.....still hoping they stick an optical audio port on it or Ill have to change my surround sound setup a little

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Meh, Wii-U games will be $60 it would seem...
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

What are the people that don't have HDTVs going to use? HDTVs are not cheap.

aquaglow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aquaglow
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

GameboyTroy
Realistically anyone who hasn't had the money to upgrade to a HDTV won't be buying an expensive new games console.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

It's about time, someone had to make them standard. meetroid8
I agree.

I mean, I understand why most go with composite as the pack-in, with composite connection being on most every TV, but still, in this day and age, when most households now have at least one HDTV, it's time. HDMI should be the pack-in. If someone really wants composite, they can be purchased on the cheap.

HDMI cable is cheap as chips..lol not surprising at all. It should be expected to come with a HDMI cable since they didn't even include a wiimote & nunchuck.superbuuman
To me, it's surprising, when you consider the fact that just about most everyone else, whether it be Sony, Mircosoft, BD markers, or Roku, still goes with composite as the pack-in.

What are the people that don't have HDTVs going to use? HDTVs are not cheap.GameboyTroy
Wii U still has a compsoite connection. Apparently, it uses the same connection as the Wii, so if someone has a Wii, they are already covered, and even if they don't, composite cables can be purchase on the cheap.

ZamboniGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZamboniGamer
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

GameboyTroy

You can get a name brand 50 inch for $499. If people can't afford that, they shouldn't be buying a new system.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"]

ZamboniGamer

You can get a name brand 50 inch for $499. If people can't afford that, they shouldn't be buying a new system.

You can get a 32 inch for waaaay cheaper than that if you're in a bind, there isn't really any excuse for not owning an HDTV in this day and age :P

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I actually still waiting to see if it is an actual regular HDMI cable, but it sounds great to me too!
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
I am glad that they are including it with the system.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GameboyTroy

[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"]What are the people that don't have HDTVs going to use? HDTVs are not cheap.Link256

Wii U still has a compsoite connection. Apparently, it uses the same connection as the Wii, so if someone has a Wii, they are already covered, and even if they don't, composite cables can be purchase on the cheap.

Looks like I'll be covered.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

To me, it's surprising, when you consider the fact that just about most everyone else, whether it be Sony, Mircosoft, BD markers, or Roku, still goes with composite as the pack-in.

Link256

Its Nintendo's next gen system...pretty sure next MS/Sony system will come with HDMI cable. Its a standard now. You'd be dumb to be buying tv/display without a HDMI input.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Link256"]

superbuuman

Its Nintendo's next gen system...pretty sure next MS/Sony system will come with HDMI cable. Its a standard now. You'd be dumb to be buying tv/display without a HDMI input.

No, those other companies wuldn't, they're also not failing like Nintendo is right now

HDMI is cheap and that's what Nintendo is looking for at this point

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

[QUOTE="Link256"]

Jaysonguy

No, those other companies wuldn't, they're also not failing like Nintendo is right now

Microsoft isn't, Sony is, the'yre failing hard on all fronts :P

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Link256

[QUOTE="Link256"]To me, it's surprising, when you consider the fact that just about most everyone else, whether it be Sony, Mircosoft, BD markers, or Roku, still goes with composite as the pack-in.superbuuman

It should be, but it's not. Like I said, just about everyone else still uses composite as the pack-in connnection. And it's not just gaming consoles, either. This is the case for Blu-ray players as well, for example.

Wii U, as far as I am aware, is one of the few using HDMI as the pack-in connection.

mrmoeone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrmoeone
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

to everyone who is saying hdmi cables are so cheap to make, if thats the case then why doesnt micro$oft or sony include them in there skus anymore???.....bunch of haters:roll:

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I think it is great too.

But I really think the Basic Set should come with regular A/V cables, or at least Component because I'm sure the people buying the lowest priced version of the system are the most likely to be not hooking it up to an HDTV.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bonesawisready5

to everyone who is saying hdmi cables are so cheap to make, if thats the case then why doesnt micro$oft or sony include them in there skus anymore???.....bunch of haters:roll:

mrmoeone

Because they know YOU will pay for an expensive one.

I can go into Blockbuster, Half Price Books or other local stores and get a brand new, 6ft HDMI cable that works as good as any for $7. And you've got to consider that the $7 HDMI cable I'm speaking of is probably still selling at a 50% profit.

Sony and MS are ripping people off with higher priced HDMI cables, there is no doubt about that. Like how MS sold the WiFi adaptor for years at $100 while it costed like $10 to produce.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

[QUOTE="Link256"]

Jaysonguy

What?

So you're saying shipping an HDMI cable when they COULD charge $50 for a Nintendo branded one is "cheap"?

How is that "cheap" if they're actually walking away from easy money from consumers?

How is any of this "failing" on Nintendo's behalf?

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Link256

I think it is great too.

But I really think the Basic Set should come with regular A/V cables, or at least Component because I'm sure the people buying the lowest priced version of the system are the most likely to be not hooking it up to an HDTV.bonesawisready5

... Or it's just people who want a deal.

Again, if someone really wants composite, it can be purchased on the cheap. At some point, the switch over just needs to be made, like it was with coaxial to composite, and if you ask me, that time is now.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#30 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ya lol i paid 20 bucks for my hdmi cord 3 x cause it kept breaking , these things are made cheaply but cost alot , compared to av cables so yes im glad they included one , but since i go on trips i have to buy a standard def one for my dvd player in the car , so i can use it

other then that , im good

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Link256

You can get a name brand 50 inch for $499. If people can't afford that, they shouldn't be buying a new system.ZamboniGamer
For that matter, best selling TV on Amazon is a 42 inch LG TV for $399.

You can get a 32 inch for waaaay cheaper than that if you're in a bind, there isn't really any excuse for not owning an HDTV in this day and age :PWreckEm711
For 32 inch models, under $300, for the record.

Also, Amazon sells a Panasonic 24 inch HDTV for $199, and I've seen 19 inch models go for low as $80 at Best Buy.

Not to mention, those are regular prices. Black Friday is around the corner.

So, yeah, HDTVs are certainly affoardable, these days.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Link256

ya lol i paid 20 bucks for my hdmi cord 3 x cause it kept breaking , these things are made cheaply but cost alot , compared to av cables so yes im glad they included one , but since i go on trips i have to buy a standard def one for my dvd player in the car , so i can use it

other then that , im goodmariokart64fan

You are doing it wrong. Do not pay more than $10 for a HDMI cable.

They can be had on Amazon, for example, around $5, and even chaper than that. Like, under $2.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

You can get a 6 ft HDMI cable on ebay for two bucks. It's really no big deal.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

GameboyTroy

The way I see it, Wii U is catering to people who were lost with the Wii and went 360/PS3 in the last few years.

The Wii U is also catering to people who previously owned a Wii, and the Wii U uses the same input as the Wii for Composite/Component.

Can't imagine anyone with a 360/PS3 without a HDTV, nor can I imagine someone who doesn't own a Wii.

Those who don't...well...invest in a HDTV first.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

GameboyTroy
I bought a 32" 1080p TV for 100 bucks less than a Wii U this year. There's really no excuse.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jaysonguy

mrmoeone

This is not rocket science.

First of all no one is making them, please stop that right now. They're subcontracted out.

Secondly, it's more expensive to get analogue cables then it is HDMI

Lastly, the whole point is to be able to satisfy everyone at the onset. If you give analogue cables you make sure that everyone is going to be able to hook up the device no matter what kind of TV they have. If you only include HDMI you're making sure that there will be people who will need to buy extras.

That's why the other companies include analogue cables, they have the money to spend to go the extra mile. Nintendo as a company does not.

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
I know right? This is awesome news unlike the other consoles which did not include a hdmi cable ugh.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jaysonguy

I know right? This is awesome news unlike the other consoles which did not include a hdmi cable ugh. Hekynn

No it's not, I already explained how it's not

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Hekynn"]I know right? This is awesome news unlike the other consoles which did not include a hdmi cable ugh. Jaysonguy

No it's not, I already explained how it's not

What may not be awesome for you can be awesome for someone else. Contrary to what you might think, the world doesn't revolve around you. You need to lose the "I know better than everyone else" attitude that you carry on these forums.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

First of all no one is making them, please stop that right now. They're subcontracted out.

Lastly, the whole point is to be able to satisfy everyone at the onset. If you give analogue cables you make sure that everyone is going to be able to hook up the device no matter what kind of TV they have. If you only include HDMI you're making sure that there will be people who will need to buy extras.

That's why the other companies include analogue cables, they have the money to spend to go the extra mile. Nintendo as a company does not.

Jaysonguy
But what if your TV doesn't have analog connections, then your being screwed over right? What your saying is complete nonsense and your well aware of that fact. Very few TV's are made without multiple HDMI slots anymore, if you have an older TV that lacks one, then you have to buy the cable. No different than having to buy an HDMI cable for the PS3 and 360. It has nothing to do with cost, its just the nature of the TV market right now, so stop coming up with fantasies to support your trolling.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Link256

That's why the other companies include analogue cables, they have the money to spend to go the extra mile. Nintendo as a company does not.Jaysonguy

Look, not as if there is not precedent for this. Back in the Nintendo 64 era, Nintendo used composite cable as the standard pack-in, so anybody who did not have a TV with a composite connection had to buy a RF switch. I was one of those people. Big deal. I spent under 10 bucks for one, and I was good to go.

Same deal here.

Also, the amount of people who neither have a HDTV or a Wii, and yet, who are buying a Wii U, I have to imagine is very small, and even than, for the record, a Wii composite cable, which will work on the Wii U, can be had on Amazon for under 5 dollars.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GameboyTroy
[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"]

OreoMilkshake
I bought a 32" 1080p TV for 100 bucks less than a Wii U this year. There's really no excuse.

Hmm, not bad for a tv that size. All you have to do is save some money if you're getting paid.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

GameboyTroy

Nintendo said it was compatible with Wii A/V cables.

So if you have a Wii you have the cables to work on an SDTV.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
It sure is nice but no big deal as you can literally buy one for £1. Great for convince and I certainly approve this approach.