Wii U - did nintendo kill what could have been awesome.

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

When I heard nintendo was comming out with a new system I was very excited. I wasn't a huge fan of the wii, mainly graphics, hd, and online.

Then I saw the giant ipad controller and not much better than 360 graphics and was instantly let down.

> I was hoping for an enhanced versrion of the wii controll system, with far better than PS3 graphics, and a new feature like a better online setup

- Don't get me wrong I don't hate inovation, I was all for motion controll from day one, but the ipad-like controller seems very gimmicky and not practical, I don't think it will add much to the games, and since it's not required, seems pointless and a waste of money.

-- I would rather them put the money from the controllers into the graphical components of the system -[Biggest issue I have with the WiiU]

- And how much will those controllers cost? (answer: too much for me to buy one)

> Also no games were shown that really wowed me, I think they hurt themselves by not holding off on the anouncement for a year untill they could really impress people.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

several developers stated they were happy with wiiu's specs, Crytek included.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

When I heard nintendo was comming out with a new system I was very excited. I wasn't a huge fan of the wii, mainly graphics, hd, and online.

Then I saw the giant ipad controller and not much better than 360 graphics and was instantly let down.

killerneub

You do know what you saw was a bunch of multiplat trailers that were rendered with PC/consoles and not Wii-U and very rushed tech demos right? Not to mention the Japanese Garden tech demo is far better than anything consoles have produced.

> I was hoping for an enhanced versrion of the wii controll system, with far better than PS3 graphics, and a new feature like a better online setup

- Don't get me wrong I don't hate inovation, I was all for motion controll from day one, but the ipad-like controller seems very gimmicky and not practical, I don't think it will add much to the games, and since it's not required, seems pointless and a waste of money.

-- I would rather them put the money from the controllers into the graphical components of the system -[Biggest issue I have with the WiiU]

- And how much will those controllers cost? (answer: too much for me to buy one)

> Also no games were shown that really wowed me, I think they hurt themselves by not holding off on the anouncement for a year untill they could really impress people.

killerneub

Nintendo likes to innovate and not stay with the same stuff for more than a generation it seems. Developers rarely, if ever, took advantage of the Wiimote. We don't even know what the Wii-U is capable of. We haven't seen it's online componenet either.

It's not an iPad-like controller. It's a DS control scheme. Dual screens (TV and wii-u controller) with a single touch/stylus based touch screen. Give developers a chance to use it and you'll be amazed. Using the controller as a display also for when you don't have access to the TV is brilliant. That is going to sell the console to so many people simply because of that.

We don't know the specs, we don't know what it's capable of. Nintendo wants to keep the "look" of the Wii, so don't expect PC components from it. Don't expect them from the next PS/Xbox either. The controllers won't cost as much as people are saying they are. You can find tablets for under $100, and the Wii-U controller has MUCH less features than tablets, so it doesn't need all the power or components, therefor being not so expensive to make.

We don't know, and neither do you.

Nintendo pushed it out too early. They admitted this themselves. It's not that the presentation was bad, but they focused on the controller far too much and didn't explain it's a whole new console. It's not just a Wii with HD capabilities like non-gaming news outlets thought.

TL;DR. We know absolutely nothing about the Wii-U and we've seen absolutely nothing that shows what it is or what it can do.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerneub

It's not fair to say: don't judge it, you haven't seen what it can do or how they will make games for it.

- They put it out there for me to see, so I am going to judge it, and I did see how the controller was utilized. It had some cool functions but overall it's to bulky, not that innovative and will be too expensive (for what it's worth) I know it may cost only $70 at the store, but it's going to increase the console price.

you don't have to defend the console like you work for nintendo, sometimes nintendo's ideas are cool in theory but don't work out,.. like the virtual boy.

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

1. None of us know how much it will cost.
2. A large part of the innovation is down to how well developers use the controller, not its raw function.
3. Pictures on the Internet make everything look bigger than they actually are.
4. Just seeing a few pieces of footage and a photo of a console you haven't even tried is not enough to judge it, whether you think it is good or bad.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

It's not fair to say: don't judge it, you haven't seen what it can do or how they will make games for it.

- They put it out there for me to see, so I am going to judge it, and I did see how the controller was utilized. It had some cool functions but overall it's to bulky, not that innovative and will be too expensive (for what it's worth) I know it may cost only $70 at the store, but it's going to increase the console price.

you don't have to defend the console like you work for nintendo, sometimes nintendo's ideas are cool in theory but don't work out,.. like the virtual boy.

killerneub
If it costs $70 then thats only $10 more than a Wii mote/Nunchuck combo.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
If all you care about are graphics then you should be playing on the PC, otherwise you need to get over it in a hurry buddy, console graphics aren't making a huge leap next Gen for anyone :P
King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
It's too early to judge dude, the "iPad controller" is like you traditional controller with a giant screen on it. Seriously, it has all the functions of a traditional controller and has an additional touch screen. It will add to games like the DS did, the DS had a second screen, which also happens to be a touch screen, go play it, you'll find games that can't be played with a regular controller. How much the WiiPad costs doesn't matter, Nintendo says you only need one, so you won't need to buy another. If you had a Wii, you won't need to buy anymore controllers since your Wiimotes are compatible. Lastly, far better than PS3 graphics? It's too early man, most launch games look like crap, 360 launch titles look no where nearly as good as majority of the 360 games today, give it some time, developers don't instantly get used to developing for the system in one day.....
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

The simple answer is No, no they did not ruin what could be awesome.

Other than that, we cant say much more since we dont know anything about the console.

All we know is that the big name Western 3rd party devs seem to be happy with what the Wii U is capable of, which mind you, we dont know what it is capable of.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

We know pretty much nothing about the system...so just be patient and wait for them to announce more.

I have a feeling that the next time they show us it, it will definately wow us.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Wii U needs to have the option to at least add an External HDD. 8GB flash memory is not enough, My PSP Go has 16GB Flash memory. Nintendo needs to really get the Wii U right. As for the Graphical Power of the Wii U, If Nintendo could start turning that Legend of Zelda, Link VS the Spider Boss battle tech demo, or Even that Japanese Bird in the Sarced Temple Garden Tech demo. Into actual games, right now, The graphics seem to be OK for the Wii U.

As for the Wii U tablet controller, Nintendo should have the ability to use at least 2 of those with the Wii U console. I really don't expect to see a Wii U bundle with the Wii U console, a pack in Game, and 2 Wii U tablet controllers and a downloadable throw-in. Ever during the Wii U's lifespan, Ever.

Those new Controllers with 2 cameras, Motion controls "better than" PSmove/SixAxis or the original Wii. and traditional buttons, twin analog sticks, Plus the DS like resistive touch screen. With Blu tooth capabilites. Costing about $129.99 each. given all of the technological componets featured in these new controllers.

The Wii U hasn't lauched yet, I truly hope Nintendo has learned from the 3DS launch.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

there really isn't enough reliable info about the wii u to get any sort of an impression about it. mainly we're hearing the same thing we hear every time a new console comes out ("wow this thing is way better than current consoles!" "hmm... it has some technical issues" etc etc). Hopefully Ninty starts finalizing stuff, so we can get some details.

TitanVex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TitanVex
Member since 2011 • 70 Posts

I agree with you. From what I have seen thus far, it appears lackluster. However, like everyone has been saying, there are not enough details as of yet to provide such an early review. At this point, though, I am leaning on the side of passing this by.

-TitanVex

thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thesnowdog2005
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts
I tried posting with a quote from the OP but the forum started to have a nervous breakdown lol. To the OP: You really don't need to worry about the graphical or processing prowess of the U, going by what we've had confirmed by IBM and AMD the U is going to be around 4 or 5 times more powerful than the PS3 and 360. We've already seen from the Zelda and Japanese Garden tech demos that the U is streets ahead of the PS3 and 360 in terms of lighting and textures. To Megavideogamer: Nintendo have confirmed that we'll be able to use SD cards and USB hard drives and we don't know the capacity of the internal flash storage yet. As for the controller, they won't be that expensive. The only expensive part of the controller is the 6 inch touchscreen but the camera, microphone, accelerometers, gyroscopes and slide pads/buttons are all as cheap as chips. Nintendo should be able to sell it for the same sort of price as a remote/nunchuck combo.
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killerneub

If all you care about are graphics then you should be playing on the PC, otherwise you need to get over it in a hurry buddy, console graphics aren't making a huge leap next Gen for anyone :PWreckEm711

-First off I definately don't only care about graphics, it's just nice to play games that look good, it's that simple.. same thing with movies. Of course if the movie sucks it doesn't matter how great the effects are ..(transformers 2), but it definately improves the enjoyment of gaming.

-- You can't play games like zelda and mariokart on the pc or I would go buy gaming PC

--- We have no idead what the other companies will put out, so you have no way of knowing that. And there's no way that by not having the ipad controller the gpu power couldn't be increased for the WiiU.

> A lot of you are defending it because we all don't know,.. I get it, but i'm going by what I saw, and I know that it wasn't the best performance it can put out, but it still wasn't as amazing as the first look at the 360, I remember gears of war blew my mind. I'm not taking a dump all over the WiiU i'm just saying maybe they didn't go in the best possible direction this time, maybe I'm wrong, but it's not fair to say I'm definitely wrong. I know it's very early, I'm just speculating.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]If all you care about are graphics then you should be playing on the PC, otherwise you need to get over it in a hurry buddy, console graphics aren't making a huge leap next Gen for anyone :Pkillerneub

-First off I definately don't only care about graphics, it's just nice to play games that look good, it's that simple.. same thing with movies. Of course if the movie sucks it doesn't matter how great the effects are ..(transformers 2), but it definately improves the enjoyment of gaming.

-- You can't play games like zelda and mariokart on the pc or I would go buy gaming PC

--- We have no idead what the other companies will put out, so you have no way of knowing that. And there's no way that by not having the ipad controller the gpu power couldn't be increased for the WiiU.

Lol seriously on that last sentence? You need to learn more about hardware, especially when t comes to cost. Even Sony has said next Gen is going to be more of a halfstep rather than a full graphical leap because Of hardware costs.
thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thesnowdog2005
Again, I really wouldn't worry about the graphics. The U has a modern Radeon HD with multidisplay support...which points to a modified 4000 series (which would be 2 generations ahead of the GPUs in the PS3 and 360) or a 5000 series (which would be 3 generations ahead). We'll also be looking at a GPU with twice the bandwidth thanks to a 256 bit bus, more than likely four times as much VRAM (I really can't see them going for less than 1Gb of GDDR3) and Shader Model 4.1 support as opposed to the Shader Model 3.0 support that the PS3 and 360 GPUs have. Seriously, there's no need to be concerned about the quality of eye candy that the U will produce. As for the next gen efforts from both Sony and Microsoft, again, I wouldn't worry too much. Both platform holders will want to keep production and retail costs down, particularly when you consider that the U will have had a years head start on the other two consoles. And just in case you're worried about the gap in power between the U and the PS4/720 will be as great as the gap in power between the Wii and the PS3/360 then, again, don't concern yourself - it's impossible, the hardware simply doesn't exist...and even if it did you'd be looking at a retail price of over a grand lol.
thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thesnowdog2005
[QUOTE="killerneub"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]If all you care about are graphics then you should be playing on the PC, otherwise you need to get over it in a hurry buddy, console graphics aren't making a huge leap next Gen for anyone :PWreckEm711

Lol seriously on that last sentence? You need to learn more about hardware, especially when t comes to cost. Even Sony has said next Gen is going to be more of a halfstep rather than a full graphical leap because Of hardware costs.

It's not going to be a half step at all mate. This gen has confused a great deal of people due to the 360 being the only traditional console of the 3. The 360 was a traditional 5 times more powerful than the Xbox. The PS3 was a nontraditional 10 times more powerful than the PS2 and the Wii was a nontraditional 1.5-2 times more powerful than the Gamecube. Because of this (and because people are new to gaming this gen or have the memory of a goldfish) some people are expecting a similar gap in power between the U and the PS4/720 because they're under the misapprehension that the U isn't a true next gen machine in terms of power... Plenty of people are going to be pleasantly (and some unpleasantly) surprised at what the U hardware is going to be capable of.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The Wii U needs to have the option to at least add an External HDD.

Megavideogamer

Uh, you didn't hear? External HDD support was announced at E3.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]If all you care about are graphics then you should be playing on the PC, otherwise you need to get over it in a hurry buddy, console graphics aren't making a huge leap next Gen for anyone :Pkillerneub

> A lot of you are defending it because we all don't know,.. I get it, but i'm going by what I saw, and I know that it wasn't the best performance it can put out, but it still wasn't as amazing as the first look at the 360, I remember gears of war blew my mind. I'm not taking a dump all over the WiiU i'm just saying maybe they didn't go in the best possible direction this time, maybe I'm wrong, but it's not fair to say I'm definitely wrong. I know it's very early, I'm just speculating.

The graphics should end up being better than what you saw anyway. Nintendo was kind of forced to show off the system because of all the leaks. They weren't quite ready yet. Also none of the 3rd party stuff should count as it wasn't even Wii-U footage and Nintendo will probably be the only developer who actually takes advantage of the system at first. 3rd party games will most likely be upgraded PS3 ports for a while. Supposedly the controller is really light and isn't bulky but of course none of us have tried it so who knows. And for the cost of the controller at the moment it seems as though there will only be one controller per system with Wii Remote Pluses supplementing it. I actually think it's a pretty cool idea. It's like a DS which is already known to enhance gameplay and I'm pretty excited to be able to stream games completely to the controller. I have kids so I can't always get the TV when I want it. It would be cool to be able to play whatever game I want without a TV if I want to.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Remember I think it was IGN who said the controller in their hand was quite comfortable, and the only footage you can count as wii u were the mii minigames and i thought they looked good but im sure they were rushed and tech demos just to show the controllers capabilities not the graphics im sure will see some real wii u footage at either nintendo world 2012 or E3 2012
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I feel your pain. The tablet thingy is not that impressive IMO. It's just a PS3/360 controller with a screen. How is that innovative? Putting the HUD or map on the screen? So what?

WM+ is alot more interesting and has so much untapped potential. But no developer is going to touch a non-standard controller. They're just going to port their PS3/360 projects with the same controls and call it a day. There are so many PS3/360 games this gen that would had been great with WM+. Too bad the wiimote is never going to get used.

Just wait until the next big multi-plat FPS comes out and there's no wiimote support. Promise.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I feel your pain. The tablet thingy is not that impressive IMO. It's just a PS3/360 controller with a screen. How is that innovative? Putting the HUD or map on the screen? So what?

WM+ is alot more interesting and has so much untapped potential. But no developer is going to touch a non-standard controller. They're just going to port their PS3/360 projects with the same controls and call it a day. There are so many PS3/360 games this gen that would had been great with WM+. Too bad the wiimote is never going to get used.

Just wait until the next big multi-plat FPS comes out and there's no wiimote support. Promise.

goblaa

I'm confused by your statement. If the U controller is just a PS3/360 controller with a screen, what would it matter if the next big multi-plat FPS comes out without wiimote support?

Besides, I do think you will see more support for motion controls with both the Move and Wiimotion + with 1-1 capabilities.

In addition, there is so much that game designers could do with a touch screen controller. Maps, inventory, alternate views/displays, and an additional input method will allow designers to do some very creative things.

I wouldn't be suprised if Sony and Microsoft release something similar with, or as a complement to, their next systems.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goblaa

In addition, there is so much that game designers could do with a touch screen controller. Maps, inventory, alternate views/displays, and an additional input method will allow designers to do some very creative things.

mrfokken

I wouldn't consider any of those things to be particularly innovative or interesting.

And I just don't see any developer taking the time to support a controller that's not standard. The wii was compatible with gamecube controllers, but nearly all devs didn't support it because it wasn't standard.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killerneub

I agree the wii-mote does have a huge amount of untapped potential. I know it will be backwards compatible, but why not focus on perfecting the wii-mote's senitivity and maybe change up the nun-chuck by adding more sensitivity so you can play dual wielding shooters and controll both guns (or light sabers; ) and more impressive things for non shooters. It's almost as if they said, everyone loves tablets, lets put one on a controller.

- I love the wii-mote and my arms aren't tired yet, so it's too bad they didn't make that their focus of ongoing innovation in motion control.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

goblaa

I wouldn't consider any of those things to be particularly innovative or interesting.

And I just don't see any developer taking the time to support a controller that's not standard. The wii was compatible with gamecube controllers, but nearly all devs didn't support it because it wasn't standard.

I understand what you are saying, but for multiplats, I don't see where there would be a lot of extra programming to display a map or inventory screen at the same time as the main screen. Such screens are already part of most games, you just have to pause to get to them. Thus, it is not like having to program for multiple controller options on the same console. (Most Wii owners don't have Gamecube controllers, why would you have expected devs to add support for them?)

As far as being innovative or interesting, devs make games for systems that

1. have the potential to make them money

2. have the hardware to fulfil their vision.

It is the developers that will be left to innovate with the controller and make it interesting. A controller on its own is usually not that interesting.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
i would have liked a wii 2 so to speak. improved wiimote and nunchuck with a good lump if more power put into the console. the ideas behind the wiimote certainly have tons of potential (i have a sneaking suspecion that SS will be awesome but will also, in the end, just show us some of what could have been), the problem with that is the wii2 basically already exists....its called a PS3 with move (i dont mean to bring SW in here..bare with me). sure the wiiu will probably be a good bit more powerful but the market at large doesnt care. its not going to tempt PS3 owners either since they can just get a move for their PS3. the move is not standard but if people need to choose between a 300-400 wiiu or a 150 move controller for their PS3 then thats not good for wiiu. sony could also put out a cheaper PS3 bundle with move and their sports game. so the wiiu, uless it has a massive killer app at launch, would be getting undermined very close to launch. so they need to set themselves apart in the market again. the tablet/controller hybrid is it (and is also a very interesting prospect imho...a big non portable DS basically).
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 killerneub
You make a good point, but I would say that Nintendo's exclusive titles are what will convince people to buy their system, not a touch controller.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 goblaa

It is the developers that will be left to innovate with the controller and make it interesting. A controller on its own is usually not that interesting.

mrfokken

Hence why I don't see anything all that interesting ever happening with the tablet. I don't trust developers to put in any effort.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It's impossible to say anything definitive about the WiiU's power or the usefulness of its controller.
thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thesnowdog2005
It's impossible to say anything definitive about the WiiU's power or the usefulness of its controller.meetroid8
No it's not mate. We know, thanks to confirmation from IBM and AMD via their official press statements, that the CPU is going to be a custom Power7 and the GPU is going to be a modern Radeon HD with multidisplay support. Even if IBM and Nintendo only allow developers the use of 3 cores and it's underclocked to only 2.5GHz it's going to have at least 16Mb of eDRAM and 12 SMTs per core which will have it running rings around the Cell. Even if AMD and Nintendo only go for an rv770 chipset and have 512Mb of GDDR3 (and I personally can't see them going for less than 1Gb of VRAM myself) it's still going to be 2 GPU generations ahead of the X1900 in the 360 and the 7800 GT in the PS3, have twice the VRAM, have twice the bandwidth thanks to a 256 bit bus and the processing and shader advantages (including tesselation) that Shader Model 4.1 support has over the Shader Model 3.0 support that the GPUs in the PS3 and 360 have. It's going to be around 4 or 5 times more powerful than the PS3 and 360 and, contrary to misguided belief, this isn't a big leap from one generation to the next - it's a traditional one.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You do realize that the only "games" we have seen so far are tech demos, right? That is a really weak reason to judge an entire platform off of. That, and every third party is raving about the specs and the new ideas it is bringing to the table. If you miss out on a fantastic platform because you just want a closed-platform PC, then you only have yourself to blame.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
I am buying a Wii U day 1 for 2 reasons. 1-Where else can you play Nintendo games. 2-Because when my wife want to kick me off the TV, i can keep playing my game on the controller. Wii is my fav system this gen, but i am just a dissapointed by the graphic issue then anyone. I have always only had a PC/Nintendo, and this is the first time i felt like i was missing out on games...so i had to get a PS3. But if games like BF3 or Batman AC are going to be next to mario and zelda, why have other consoles?
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

killerneub
I guess you missed it at e3, all the tech demos of Wii U titles were running on 360s, PS3s, and PCs And all reports indicate the controller is comfortable and practical, you won't have to pause from the action in call of duty to call in air strikes you'll just tap on the map on the screen to direct them WHILE still gunning people down Also, the console is a year away, of course they didn't show games you wanted. The controller will be $50 at retail max. Its a small screen with little on board storage and plastic. the resolution of that thing will probably end up being 640x480. It really is a shell with a screen, portable DVD players can be found for $50 or less and those are sold at 50%-70% profit at $50 a pop, so you need not worry about the controller's price Additionally, pretty much all devs, Crytek, Bethesda, and EA have said they are very happy with the hardware kits, indicating it is more powerful in some aspects than current HD consoles So basically you weren't as informed as you could've been TC, and hopefully you are now.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

goblaa

Um, what? The Wii U Tab Controller is standard, its the Wii U's main controller. Why wouldn't they support it? So many devs are already raving about it and how awesome it is. You won't have to pause for a moment in COD to select an air strike location because you can do it on the fly with the Wii U controller, you can better pin point locations for console RTSs, and so many more possibilities open up with that controller
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

1. None of us know how much it will cost.
2. A large part of the innovation is down to how well developers use the controller, not its raw function.
3. Pictures on the Internet make everything look bigger than they actually are.
4. Just seeing a few pieces of footage and a photo of a console you haven't even tried is not enough to judge it, whether you think it is good or bad.

pikaby

Since your post is simple and straightforward, I'd like to counterpoint a few of the things you mentioned, just for the sake of adding a different perspective.

1. True, but that's as much of a negative as it is a positive. The Wii U is the third Nintendo system of late that the company has been silent on in regards to price after its reveal. This move worked out extremely well for one system (Wii) and really bad for the other (3DS). Based on what Nintendo is aiming for with this system, though, I'd be more willing to bet that the system's cost will not be the most consumer-friendly, especially when considering the price of the other HD systems, the resources it's going to take to mass-produce the Wii U, the Wii U tablet itself, and possibly even the fact that the 3DS is costing the company monety at the moment. I'm not going to even touch on what Satoru Iwata even said about the system's cost, which is alarming enough.

2. Which means I don't think we'll be seeing much innovation coming from the Wii U tablet, then. All of the tablet's tech is within other Nintendo platforms, and while that helped the DS to create a very unique and fresh brand of software, third party developers did next to nothing with the Wii and the 3DS's library has been anything but innovative. The biggest draw to the Wii U's tablet will not be all of the tech Nintendo has crammed into the thing, but rather the fact that it's basically an oversized traditional controller.

3. If I'm not mistaken, the touch screen of the Wii U is more than six inches wide; that's already larger than most controllers on the market today, and there still has to be room for about a dozen buttons the system will have.

4. Perhaps that's merely a matter of perspective. If we can look at game footage and screenshots to help us determine whether or not we want a certain game, what makes an actual console that much different, especially if you know the direction it's going in and some of the games that will be released for it? It would be one thing if Nintendo had kept the Wii U more of a secret, but I think most people that are interested or disinterested in the system at this point has an idea what to expect. The situation isn't the same as it was with the DS or Wii where we were talking about totally new concepts and ideals. The direction Nintendo is heading in is not unlike that that the other consoles head in all the time, even in spite of the way Nintendo's going about it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="mrfokken"]

bonesawisready5

Um, what? The Wii U Tab Controller is standard, its the Wii U's main controller. Why wouldn't they support it? So many devs are already raving about it and how awesome it is. You won't have to pause for a moment in COD to select an air strike location because you can do it on the fly with the Wii U controller, you can better pin point locations for console RTSs, and so many more possibilities open up with that controller

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that devs won't support the tablet, I'm saying they will ONLY support the tablet. The wiimote is as good as dead. That's the problem.

And I just don't see any third party dev using the tablet in an intersting way.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WreckEm711

I am buying a Wii U day 1 for 2 reasons. 1-Where else can you play Nintendo games. 2-Because when my wife want to kick me off the TV, i can keep playing my game on the controller. Wii is my fav system this gen, but i am just a dissapointed by the graphic issue then anyone. I have always only had a PC/Nintendo, and this is the first time i felt like i was missing out on games...so i had to get a PS3. But if games like BF3 or Batman AC are going to be next to mario and zelda, why have other consoles? da_chub

Huge ditto here, my Fiancee has been on a Sex and the City binge and the WiiU would be so helpful for me right now :(

MegaMantis85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MegaMantis85
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm fine with current gen graphics; I'm honestly not too worried about graphics anymore, most games look great this gen already. But I really do think that controller looks uncomfortable, like it may lead to carpal tunnel or something :D But honestly I think if it has HD current gen graphics it should do fine. I agree with some others in this post that next gen graphics won't really be that huge of a leap anyways. I just want them to make that Zelda game in time for launch, but that's wishful thinking I'm sure.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i just hope the wiimote is an optional control for some of their games and for some 3rd party games(mainly shooters)

because if nintendo is wiiu tablet only for all their games then it looks like im done with FPS :(

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 goblaa

i just hope the wiimote is an optional control for some of their games and for some 3rd party games(mainly shooters)

because if nintendo is wiiu tablet only for all their games then it looks like im done with FPS :(

KBFloYd

Don't expect any third party develper to support the wiimote. I wonder if even metroid or zelda will ever use the wiimote again? The wiimote is going to be used for games like carnival games and rabbids and that's it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

goblaa

Don't expect any third party develper to support the wiimote. I wonder if even metroid or zelda will ever use the wiimote again? The wiimote is going to be used for games like carnival games and rabbids and that's it.

but there is PSmove...since both sony and nintendo use it it might get some support... i really hope your wrong..

motion controls are here to stay..i dont think it was just a fad..

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that devs won't support the tablet, I'm saying they will ONLY support the tablet. The wiimote is as good as dead. That's the problem.

So you don't see the potential for console RTS games to finally control well, or another option that is more accurate for FPS? (Stylus on touch screen is comparable to KB+M in ways, not as good but still better than sticks IMO) let alone constant inventory control without the need for pausing (like in Resident Evil, control your inventory on the fly) Also, the whole playing without the TV. Don't worry, this is Nintendo. I didn't plan to use 3D on the 3DS very much, I just wanted a next gen Nintendo handheld, and now I love the 3D so much I never play without it
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 killerneub

I would much rather play a shooter with the wii-mote rather than a touch screen. If I have to pause to call an air strike, I consider that to be a skill of the game to find cover for a moment. Plus that can't be done when someone is watching TV and you are playing using the controller's screen, and that's their main argument of why it is such a great innovation.

- If the controller could connect to the system through wi-fi like a remote desktop and you could play on the go anywhere I would have no doubts on how awesome it would be, however that's not the case... so I'm just a little dissapointed, but I will still probably buy it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Um, what? The Wii U Tab Controller is standard, its the Wii U's main controller. Why wouldn't they support it? So many devs are already raving about it and how awesome it is. You won't have to pause for a moment in COD to select an air strike location because you can do it on the fly with the Wii U controller, you can better pin point locations for console RTSs, and so many more possibilities open up with that controllerbonesawisready5

So you don't see the potential for console RTS games to finally control well, or another option that is more accurate for FPS? (Stylus on touch screen is comparable to KB+M in ways, not as good but still better than sticks IMO) let alone constant inventory control without the need for pausing (like in Resident Evil, control your inventory on the fly) Also, the whole playing without the TV. Don't worry, this is Nintendo. I didn't plan to use 3D on the 3DS very much, I just wanted a next gen Nintendo handheld, and now I love the 3D so much I never play without it

No I don't. The wiimote was already very well set-up to revoltionize RTSs on consoles, but not one dev in 5 years touched it and they're not about to start now. Plus, touch screen controls would be really akward. How would they work in an RTS? It's easy enough to move a curser around with the touch screen, its another to be looking at your TV while doing it. How will you know where to click if you can't look down? If you have to look where you are clicking every time you do an action, why even bother with the TV?

Issues aside, it's not that I don't think the wiiu tablet is incapable of great controls, it's that the wiimote is equally capable of great controls too and its now dead forever.

But don't get your hopes up for a console RTS. It won't happen.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 goblaa

I would much rather play a shooter with the wii-mote rather than a touch screen. If I have to pause to call an air strike, I consider that to be a skill of the game to find cover for a moment. Plus that can't be done when someone is watching TV and you are playing using the controller's screen, and that's their main argument of why it is such a great innovation.

- If the controller could connect to the system through wi-fi like a remote desktop and you could play on the go anywhere I would have no doubts on how awesome it would be, however that's not the case... so I'm just a little dissapointed, but I will still probably buy it.

killerneub

Ditto. Shooters just contol better with the wiimote. Touch screen isn't good enough and dual analog is down right unplayable.

If you want to call air strikes without pausing the game, do it like the cell phone in shattered memories. Have a in-game screen pop up in the character's hand and point at it all in real time.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#47 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think there's a possibility that the Wii U will be dated when the next-gen Sony and Microsoft systems come out. And the Wii U isn't the most creative name in the world.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I am very disappointed they didn't introduce an evolution of the Wii Remote and nunchuk with Wii U. :(
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

I think there's a possibility that the Wii U will be dated when the next-gen Sony and Microsoft systems come out. And the Wii U isn't the most creative name in the world.

MathMattS
Please tell your not inferring that the PS4 is a creative name.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#50 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
There was a lot of speculation around the Wii before it released, and look at how well it did. (that can be interpreted several different ways) Who knows? The Wii U could turn out to be even better than the Wii, or a complete disaster.