Why is the Wii is soo cheap?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hiren_nfsmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 hiren_nfsmw
Member since 2005 • 2210 Posts
Compared to PS3 and 360, Wii uses the latest technology yet it is cheaper than the rest. Why?
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Pepperpop10
Member since 2006 • 1548 Posts

1. It does not use the latest technology.

2. The PS3 and 360 are overpriced way too much.

3. $250 is still a lot of money.

ipodman3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ipodman3x
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts
Yes, although the Wii uses motion, it isnt the latest tech.
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pepperpop10
So, what I said was correct? Awesome. I thought I was blowing smoke and people would be all, "Nooo! Teh Wii got Motion Sensing! Its brand new!!! OMG FTW BTW IMO LMAO"
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
So, what I said was correct? Awesome. I thought I was blowing smoke and people would be all, "Nooo! Teh Wii got Motion Sensing! Its brand new!!! OMG FTW BTW IMO LMAO"Pepperpop10
But I still prefer the Wii but ya 250 $ is a lot of money
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pepperpop10
Oh I totally prefer the Wii. Here's how it goes. Wii > 360 > Gamecube > PS3
LordSasori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LordSasori
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts

Pepperpop10

Actually it does use latest technology, its microchipset is amazing. It just doesnt have a bunch of high powered pc parts thrown into it(like processors, hard drives). And honestly PS3 for 600 bucks is a very very good deal, if you consider everything it actually has.
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pepperpop10
What does the PS3 have for $600? OK, it has Blu-Ray which I don't need.  60GB, which I won't need, because I would just play Resistance and MotorStorm, which are the only exclusive, appealing games. And it has.....a controller from 2 generations ago? Bad online? It raises your electricity bill by a lot depending on how much you play it, plus it's huge. Did I miss anything?
rockstar_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 rockstar_88
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
Nintendo said they're looking for the casual consumer's best interests, and, although $250 is up there, it is still affordable enough for a non-gamer/parent/hot chick to afford.  Plus whenever one gets sold, I see people tend to buy extra stuff with it like controllers, SD cards, HD Component cables, etc.
LordSasori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordSasori
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
What does the PS3 have for $600? OK, it has Blu-Ray which I don't need. 60GB, which I won't need, because I would just play Resistance and MotorStorm, which are the only exclusive, appealing games. And it has.....a controller from 2 generations ago? Bad online? It raises your electricity bill by a lot depending on how much you play it, plus it's huge. Did I miss anything?Pepperpop10

Whether or not you feel you need or do not need these things are irrelevant. The point Im making is your paying a low price for a high powered system. Its like buying the latest graphics card for only 100 bucks, now whether or not you may use that card to fullest is a different story. Now that being said, what Sony does not realize is even with all the amazing junk in their system, 600 bucks is alot of money in general. And as you said.. most people are concerned about the games in which Sony is lacking as well.
ArkansasBoy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#11 ArkansasBoy91
Member since 2006 • 2430 Posts
1.ITs Technology isnt new its just something new to be used on a gaming system. 2. It does not offer the "great Graphics" like the PS3 and 360 has, but if wii did offer that it would probaly cost $150 more with graphics...IMO we dont need the retarded graphics. 3. The PS3 and 360 is WAAAY overpriced.. 360 isnt that bad of a price but PS3 is a ripoff waiting to happen. 4.$250 is Allt of money, BUT i think its worth it, Better library of games ( as of now), Allot more fun ( because of the sensors). Also, the wii is selling Really Well and i am guessing the Wii price will have a big price drop by the end of the year... $250 is worth the price for a Wii.. Iwould much rather spend $600 on a wii with 6-7 games instead of buying JUST a Ps3 for that price.
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
it costs $208 to make a wii, so i dont think 250 is a huge amount more. yes 250 is a lot of money, it took me quite a while to save it up (im 16), but for what nintendo is trying to do: a new way to play, a system for many people, not just gamers, to play, and total awesomeness, i think its a great price
Link_188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Link_188
Member since 2006 • 5770 Posts
it is cheap because we can buy it easily, and nintendo can make profits easily as well.
buffdaddy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 buffdaddy69
Member since 2003 • 1105 Posts

I own both a Wii and 360, and they are both good systems. I would buy a PS3 but there are two reasons from keeping me from buying one. One being the price, and the other is...i really dont feel like dishing out almost 700 bucks for a system and one game...that being MGS4. I think the PS3 will be a great system in the next year...just need to drop the price a bit by atleast 100 bills...

The Wii is a good system because Nintendo has always been consumer friendly, and the 360 has taken a page out of Nintendos book by being consumer friendly as well. 

Just give all three systems like...2 or three years when the developers unlock the full potental on all three systems and the Wii will have 360 graphics, while the 360 will PS3 graphics and the PS3's graphics will be..well...amazing lol. And the gameplay for all three systems will get better, and better over time.

rogeliozim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogeliozim
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts

1.The Wii is kinda over priced hardware wise but if you look at the library of game it has, holy mother of freaking god it is woth all the money. And the wii probly cost less than $208 to manufacture, it probly cost somthing like $150-$190 to make, but nintendo is actualy making money of the Wii.

2. the PS3 is not over priced at all considering that it cost $811(20GB)-$830(60GB) to manufacture, so sony is losing $200 dolars over this thing, and it is the cheapist blu-ray player out there.    

DS_fan_atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DS_fan_atic
Member since 2005 • 4078 Posts
being cheap is being smart
joestierman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 joestierman
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
"Nooo! Teh Wii got Motion Sensing! Its brand new!!! OMG FTW BTW IMO LMAO"Pepperpop10
The motion sensing is new, and that's why the controllers are expensive... not the console so much. And the storage is flash memory or something instead of hard drive. There's a bunch of cost gone. And no ethernet.
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
The only relatively advanced technology it has is its motion sensing controllers.  You could say that it's very efficient as well too.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
They cannot drop on the PS3 for over two years. They are losing hundreds of dollars on each one that is being made. That blu-ray drive is expensive.
cam2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cam2009
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
to be fair, the wii is the only overpriced console. PS3/360 all cost more than they sell them for to make. Wii costs around $210 to make. It's cheap, but it's not underpriced. They just made their console cheaper by taking out the expensive things.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
because thay want to go for a low price so the non gamers would want to play it.
SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
yea, it's power efficient. Using only 17W, compared to Xbox360's 160W & PS3's 360W
DTbikerider9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 DTbikerider9
Member since 2006 • 1771 Posts
only in america do people complain about how "cheap" a console is
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127530 Posts

Pepperpop10
Nintendo is the only company that released a console in this gen who earn money from the beginning.
jalopies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jalopies
Member since 2004 • 71 Posts
only in america do people complain about how "cheap" a console isDTbikerider9

The hell does that mean.....
ffaddict6229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ffaddict6229
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts
$250 is still a good amount of money And 360+PS3=Too much money.
spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
to be fair,THE WII IS THE ONLY OVERPRICED CONSOLE. PS3/360 all cost more than they sell them for to make. Wii costs around $210 to make. It's cheap, but it's not underpriced. They just made their console cheaper by taking out the expensive things.cam2009
Nintendo can't sell the Wii for less than it costs to make because unlike Microsoft and Sony they have nothing else to absorb the loss. Sony has their other electronics and Microsoft has Windows.
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts
The Wii iks so cheap because Nintendo is not so greedy as the others
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

only in america do people complain about how "cheap" a console isDTbikerider9

It's true.

Go in Canada, where the 360 is 500$ and the PS3 is between 659$ to 700$.  

rogeliozim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rogeliozim
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts
yea, it's power efficient. Using only 17W, compared to Xbox360's 160W & PS3's 360WSuzumeCake
holy mother of god I didn't know that the PS3 took 360W!
FrameX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FrameX
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts
biased opinion about what idiots say... no console is to expensive. I own them all and i worked for minimum wage at gamestop for a year and a half, so before anyone says im loaded with money, im not, i just put it all back into games.

here is my take on each system.

Wii- great games, but i only like 2... they need to appeal to a gamer along with a non-gamer, i don't care about 4 billion sports titles and wario ware. i want another game that's a killer ap like zelda, or i want something better then metal slug anthology to get me excited. for god sakes i havent played my wii in forever, and now im playing ssx blur to pass the time away where i havent seen one cool game being made for that system.

Ps3- its actually less expensive then the 360, but ill get to that in a second, ps3 may be a hardware stud, but games are lacking. I've had a basketball game, resistance, fight night and virtua fighter 5... and i can say the only game i still appreciate is vf5... point is yeah, they dont have many games, but that doesnt mean im not excited about some of the stuff that is coming out. Also, i bought a ps3 as an inexpensive bluray player aswell, and also a way that i can play ps2 games, psone games, and some ps3 games. I think sony has a long way to go, but their hardware has great potential.

360- When i said ps3 is less expensive i didnt mean in start out price, i meant simply this. If you want to get the 360 and upgrade it to the ps3 level this is what you have to spend. On the more expensive 360, you still have to buy a charge kit (20 bucks), 2 more hard drives (200) a hd dvd player (200) a wireless adapter (100) and then you have to pay for live, so lets say a year (50) and then pay for games? forget it, thats $970 just to get up to ps3. But i mean who's gona buy 2 extra harddrives just so they can get up to ps3 level. So you figure rule out 200... thats still $770 alone. So why would anyone buy this? the games, i love live, even if it lags like a whore some times, and i love the arcade, not to mention the other video's and all that other **** but yeah its an amazing system for games. I just think its better for now because it has the headstart.

You have to look at it like this, a year ago 360 was still sold out, right now a ps3 is still in demand, and still selling. Right now the wii is still in short supply. A year ago 360 had ghost recon, oblivion, and pgr3. ps3 has vf5, resistance and motorstorm, wii has Zelda: TP and Warioware. A year ago 360 was crapping out and melting inside. now ps3 has no problems, and the wii only had internet issues if you were using wifi. A year ago 360 had no high def movie player and now a year later it does, in the start of the ps3 lifecycle it has a hd movie player. The wii has none

im not a fan of only one console. but i can say this, the wii is to much of a gimmick, i wish there was **** on that system that made me go WOW this is fun, but nothing has really done that yet. 360 has been good to me, except when it crapped out and died, they have had me in full support up until then, and they reeled me back in by making my favorite arcade game (teenage mutant ninja turtles, WOOT!), plus i love the dedication they have shown to the software. PS3 has been ok to me, i dont play it much, except now i am because i bought god of war 2 (i bought that and ghost recon for 360 and they have both consumed my life) I think it will take time for ps3 to step its game up, but until then sony needs to slap itself into reality and realise they need more stuff on that system to keep that 600 price tag respectable.

btw- i own a high def t.v. and all the cables to run everything at their highest level. so just letting you know, everything i own runs at the highest quality
wiis2player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wiis2player
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
Because 250 is the price nintendo wanted...
buffdaddy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 buffdaddy69
Member since 2003 • 1105 Posts
 i worked at EBgames for about two years and when the 360 and Wii came out, i was offered(And im not gonna lie, i accepted) a small discount on those two systems. so instead of paying 250 for a Wii, i only paid 200, and instead of paying 400 for a 360, i only paid 350. yeah, its only a 50 dollar difference, but non the less a discount that gets offered to all employees at EBgames and Gamespot.
FireEmblem24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FireEmblem24
Member since 2007 • 1097 Posts
Its cheaper cause it doesnt have any suplerforous crap in it (DVD, Blue Ray, ect). It is a machine for gaming, not multimedia
kid_rock995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 kid_rock995
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts

PS3-

You are paying $600 for a gaming system that overpowers PC systems that you buy for $2k+ - Don't tell me that is overpriced because it's not. You'd look at an Alienware computer and think it's cheap, and then you look at the PS3 and because it's a gaming console you think it's over priced. In most respects it is a supercomputer. - Blu-Ray is just a cherry on the top.

Take into consideration that it has ALL of what it has for $600. No upgrades like the XB360.

Wii-

250 for an upgraded GC? Take in the fact that it's Wiimote and Nunchuck appeal to all ages/lifestyles and Japan's games like Eyeshield 21 will be coming out (Hopefully in America.) Sure it doesn't have the game support yet or the games that you go 'WOW.' In due time. When the Wii hits more in the homes it will take more risks. It's a family console to begin with. It will produce fam-friendly games.

XB360-

Just the core system is $300 now. Upgrade it until it's on the playable level of an addict and you're likely to spend about $800. With 2-3 games. XB has startup advantage. It appeals to more of an audience. Oblivion and Halo crush everyone else right now... And when it first came out people were griping about it like people are griping about PS3 and Wii. Except they even had more issues.

Overview- Don't gripe. Give the new systems as mush time as XB360 has and we will see the games flowing out. Microsoft is kind of like Dish Network. They sell the word 'Upgrade.' OH... And PS3 will save lives, and the Wii will give you a reason to hit your opponent sitting next to you.

Staccat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Staccat0
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts
to be fair, the wii is the only overpriced console. PS3/360 all cost more than they sell them for to make. Wii costs around $210 to make. It's cheap, but it's not underpriced. They just made their console cheaper by taking out the expensive things.cam2009
This guy is right. The Wii is the one thats overpriced. It just happens to be the cheapest. I love the Wii and it hit the right price point for me, but anyone who thinks the PS3 or 360 is "overpriced" is just patting Ninty on the back and being a poor consumer. Expensive does not equal overpriced...
Pepperpop10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pepperpop10
[QUOTE="cam2009"]to be fair, the wii is the only overpriced console. PS3/360 all cost more than they sell them for to make. Wii costs around $210 to make. It's cheap, but it's not underpriced. They just made their console cheaper by taking out the expensive things.Staccat0
This guy is right. The Wii is the one thats overpriced. It just happens to be the cheapest. I love the Wii and it hit the right price point for me, but anyone who thinks the PS3 or 360 is "overpriced" is just patting Ninty on the back and being a poor consumer. Expensive does not equal overpriced...

While expensive does not necessarily equal overpriced, just because something costs a lot to make doesn't mean it's worth it to spend $600 on it. Blu-Ray players are around $1000, but PS3s are $600. It's cheaper, but it's still not a good deal when you can get an HD-DVD player for $2-500. It was Sony's decision to include a Blu-Ray, and they're losing money on it.
phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
I don't think casual gamers would really like to pay 600 bucks just for a gaming console. So Nintendo was smart by making Wii cheaper. 
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Lol i can't belive u said that,maybe your question is in reverse..just maybe :P
Bahn_Yuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bahn_Yuki
Member since 2003 • 1644 Posts
The is based around 2001 tech, but with some nifty things from today.  Bluetooth, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, SD card support, built in flash memory, and of course the Wiimote are today's technology wrapped around a GC in a new box.  The Wii isn't cheap per se, the Xbox 360 core is only $50 more and far far far more powerful. But it's also about 3 times the Wii's size and very very loud.  Let's not forget your electrical bill skyrocketing each time you play 360(or PS3).

Cheap isn't the word I'd use to describe Wii, personally a $99 or $149 price would be more fair, but Nintendo is still selling boatloads of Wiis, so it really doesn't matter what I think, I bought 2 Wiis at launch myself anyhow.
DTbikerider9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 DTbikerider9
Member since 2006 • 1771 Posts

[QUOTE="DTbikerider9"]only in america do people complain about how "cheap" a console isjalopies

AMERICANS ARE PICKY AND GREEDY PEOPLE! (yea im american and not very proud)

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

[QUOTE="jalopies"][QUOTE="DTbikerider9"]only in america do people complain about how "cheap" a console isDTbikerider9

AMERICANS ARE PICKY AND GREEDY PEOPLE! (yea im american and not very proud)

True, but then again...who isn't ?

Benno2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Benno2000
Member since 2004 • 428 Posts
the more relevant question is why are the other consoles so expensive.

sorry if thats already been said, didnt read all 5 pages.
Avatar image for King_of_Elebits
King_of_Elebits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 King_of_Elebits
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
I think that the PS3 and 360 are very overpriced and I think nintendo just normally has low price consols
tman978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 tman978
Member since 2003 • 2007 Posts

Yes, although the Wii uses motion, it isnt the latest tech.ipodman3x

Ha! That's what I was thinking.

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#48 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts
Nintendo has it right with the price. They have created a fun system that is apealing to all gamers wether some will admit it or not
hiren_nfsmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hiren_nfsmw
Member since 2005 • 2210 Posts
Compared to all the consoles that ever came out (after 2000) were usually £200 over on the first day.
Naruto_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Naruto_213
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
because some of the games are EASY!!!!