Why is Nintendo releasing so few N64 games for the VC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zoobieshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zoobieshoes
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
Sorry if this has already been asked, but there are so many great N64 games to choose from but it does not seem like they are interested in building up their N64 VC collection.
Flaming235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Flaming235
Member since 2005 • 1949 Posts
I suppose because they have to be optimized for the wii, as N64 and Wii are very different systems. Given, so are the older Nintendo systems, but they do not require as much power as the N64 does to emulate them. Just my thoughts though, anybody else know another reason?
nely_nelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 nely_nelson
Member since 2005 • 1193 Posts
Not sure but mabey because n64 games take up so much memory? If they had more n64 games people would by more and they might not have room to purchase brand new games.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I got a better question: Why is Nintendo holding back on releasing all the great games that were on the SNES?!? Well, WHY?!?

And why are they still releasing TG-16 games practically every week if hardly anyone buys them?

crispyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 crispyo
Member since 2005 • 1801 Posts

Yeah, why are they release more of those TG ones and that other system than their own NINTENDO systems? I mean, it is a nintendo console.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
They're spacing VC releases out... if they had every single back-catalogue game released right now, people just wouldn't buy as many.
draftrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 draftrough
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
They want the whole Virtual Console monday stuff to continue for as long as possible. So by releasing so few great games and only 3 a week and saving n64 games, they can release cirtain games on special occasions.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Lets repeat everything for hopefully the last time.

Issue A is licenses. A lot of the games are in license limbo since their original holders were bought resold etc and it's a mess to figure out.

Issue B is bug testing manual coding. That takes a while and it takes resources. Often 20 or 30 people over a week at least or a month.

99% of games they have to negoatie the rights for then do the bug testing, fixing, manual coding all that takes time and money.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

Issue A is licenses. A lot of the games are in license limbo since their original holders were bought resold etc and it's a mess to figure out.

Issue B is bug testing manual coding. That takes a while and it takes resources. Often 20 or 30 people over a week at least or a month.

99% of games they have to negoatie the rights for then do the bug testing, fixing, manual coding all that takes time and money.

meimnobody

That still doesn't answer my question as to why nintendo releases TG-16 games practically every week if hardly anyone buys them...

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

meimnobody

^^^That is so not true, it takes about a dozen men to do all that stuff over a weekEND!!!

I have to sayNine N64 games in one year, that is reallysad. And where is Mojoras Mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!

incredibletlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 incredibletlee
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
dude that is a good question. im agree wit darkmark91, WHERES MAJORAS MASK!!!
Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts
every month its one snes and N64 game but not nes , sega genisis and TG-16 games and we get them every week its so damn annoying.
lost_cheeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lost_cheeto
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts

alot of the games for n64 most people seem to want was made by rare. microsoft owns rare now. so unless it has a character in it owned by nintendo like donkey kong or something you most likely will never see it.

turok? nope. conker? nope. banjo kazooi? nope perfect dark? nope. all owned by microsoft now and many more.

DarkRider23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkRider23
Member since 2004 • 1753 Posts
Because it's not like the xbox and 360 where they can just make carbon copies and sell them. They have to be coded all over again for the Wii.
spiggy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spiggy500
Member since 2005 • 2042 Posts
If people had all the games that they wanted, no one would be interested in the virtual console.
Dles12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dles12
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

they need more good games like ssb and dk64 but at least they have pokemon snap coming out this monday.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts

alot of the games for n64 most people seem to want was made by rare. microsoft owns rare now. so unless it has a character in it owned by nintendo like donkey kong or something you most likely will never see it.

turok? nope. conker? nope. banjo kazooi? nope perfect dark? nope. all owned by microsoft now and many more.

lost_cheeto

Turok isn't owned by Microsoft... The next one is coming out on both PS3 and 360.

MattJCorcoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MattJCorcoran
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It really DOESN'T make sense why they're releasing games so slowly. There's such a massive library of games from the past 20+ years, that even if they did put out 50 at a time, people would still be buying the games. It would be like if Nintendo decided to only release 1 game a month for Wii and DS because of fear that people aren't going to keep buying games. Yeah, not gonna happen. Personally, I would love to see Quest 64, Battle Clash, and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge re-released. *Sigh* Nostalgia.:)
nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts

dude that is a good question. im agree wit darkmark91, WHERES MAJORAS MASK!!!incredibletlee

They are waiting to release Majora's Mask with the next Zelda for the Wii. It makes sense. 2nd N64 zelda comes out with the 2nd Wii Zelda (or 1st if you count TP as a GCN game).

Ungdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ungdi
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

They're spacing VC releases out... if they had every single back-catalogue game released right now, people just wouldn't buy as many.Funkyhamster

good point

Cry0Tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cry0Tek
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts

they need more good games like ssb and dk64 but at least they have pokemon snap coming out this monday.

Dles12

I own the original PKMN:Snap, but where did you receive that news?

skyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skyjack
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Why would people buy the much better games (n64) over the so-so games that haven't aged well. And even then they(nintendo) aren't releasing the good nes games. where's my blaster master? We get volleyball instead of super spike v-ball. Still no cabal. No lolo. the list goes on.

Anyway i just want Dr. Mario 64 for vc. I love that game multiplayer.

johnnyauau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 johnnyauau
Member since 2007 • 754 Posts

I suppose you're asking half the question. The other half is how long does it take for that game to come out. If you look at Hong Kong Legends for example, it takes like a week of moderation until movies like Project A ever came out. With the Virtual Console, they must be deciding and moderating the way the game is going to come out. Add to it is incompatible controller pak and rumble pak via Gamecube's and Wii's rumble feature. Add to it is the rights from companies that expired at the end of the N64 era. So as a small guidance how long does each system of games is going to come out?

There should be a lot of factors coming to this. It's a good thing Gamespot came around or else I wouldn't know what any system is doing in there department.

Well, if you have that level of info, then maybe I'll drive my patients 'til the end.

Dles12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dles12
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts
[QUOTE="Dles12"]

Cry0Tek

I own the original PKMN:Snap, but where did you receive that news?

i looked on other forums and they told me to go onto pokemon.com, so i did, and they confirmed it there.