Why do people think the graphics in MH3 are so good?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Seriously?

I played the game the other day and the textures are very blurry and low res and the game loads new scenes constantly.

The animations are good but they use the same death animations for the monsters over and over.

There's no collision with the monsters body when they are on the ground so the player runs right through them.

The shadows are rubbish and we seriously had the same kind of shadows on Link in Zelda 64. I think we are a little beyond that now no?

The humanoid character models look as though they belong on a PS1 and I'm really not exaggerating too much here.

The really blurry and low res textures however are the worst thing.

This game is really not that good looking and I have no idea why people go on about the games graphics so much.

Are Wii owners really that starved of good looking games?

MP3, SMG/SMG2, SSBB, The Conduit etc all look much better and much cleaner. Even Twighlight Princess looks better which is funny considering what Nintendo said about MH3 in relation to the new Zelda's graphics and having to compete with that game etc.

Note: I only own a Wii so I'm not an Xbox 360 or PS3 fanboy. I'm just calling it as it is.

Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

It's on par with Starfox Adventures at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_b2HG99C8&feature=related

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amaneuvering

It's on par with Starfox Adventures at least.

Ganados0

Eh!

Did you just go off on a complete tangent there or am I missing something?

Edit: Now that I look at the video I see where you are going with this.

I actually think SFA is a much better looking game overall.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Are we playing the same game?

Find me footage from The Conduit that looks as good at that.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amaneuvering

GabuEx

The thing is that as blurry as the game looks in those shots it actually looks like that in real life.

It is a blurry game and imo that is not a nice thing.

You add in the loading, bad collision, simple shadows, repeating animation, etc, and it's not really an impressive game. Also, all the villiage locations look really bad with their fixed angles and very blurry pre-rendered look from the PS era imo.

Some decent artwork and monsters designs, along with mostly nice animation, can't make up for all the other issues enough imo to be able to say this is a great looking game, and most people are saying just that.

It's and average looking Wii game with some good art direction and it's a terrible looking game with some good art direction outside of Wii.

The Conduit may not have as good art direction but technically it's a much cleaner, sharper looking game, and it has better shadows and less loading etc too.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GabuEx

The thing is that as blurry as the game looks in those shots it actually looks like that in real life.

You add in the loading, bad collision, simple shadows, repeating animation, etc, and it's not really an impressive game. Also, all the villiage locations look really bad with their fixed angles and very blurry pre-rendered look from the PS era imo.

Some decent artwork and monsters designs, along with mostly nice animation, can't make up for all the other issues enough imo to be able to say this is a great looking game, and most people are saying just that.

It's and average looking Wii game with some good art direction and it's a terrible looking game with some good art direction outside of Wii.

The Conduit may not have as good art direction but technically it's a much cleaner, sharper looking game, and it has better shadows and less loading etc too.

amaneuvering

Loading I will grant you, but the rest really seems to be quibbles over rather minor things. Especially the collision detection - given that it functions properly when the animal is alive, that's rather obviously a conscious design decision to make gameplay more streamlined, not an oversight. Shadows - yeah, sure, the shadow projection on the ground could be better. But blurry? I can't agree with that at all. And when you put that against everything the game does right, I can't exactly agree with the assessment that the former outweighs the latter.

I own an Xbox 360, and I've played all of the games on it whose graphics have been hailed as amazing. And my first reaction upon playing Monster Hunter Tri was still, "Damn, this game is pretty as hell." I wouldn't even add the qualifier "for the Wii" when saying that the game looks great.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#7 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I'd say it's a good-looking game, but not great-looking, and certainly not the best.

It certainly does not look as good as in the screenshots. When I saw screenshots of this game, I was like 'wow!', and when I played it, it was like 'ok...'. Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are still the best-looking Wii games for me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34778 Posts

It definitely does not look as good as some people claim. It's an ok looking game, nothing special really. Many Wii games looks better.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

GabuEx

Loading I will grant you, but the rest really seems to be quibbles over rather minor things. Especially the collision detection - given that it functions properly when the animal is alive, that's rather obviously a conscious design decision to make gameplay more streamlined, not an oversight. Shadows - yeah, sure, the shadow projection on the ground could be better. But blurry? I can't agree with that at all. And when you put that against everything the game does right, I can't exactly agree with the assessment that the former outweighs the latter.

I own an Xbox 360, and I've played all of the games on it whose graphics have been hailed as amazing. And my first reaction upon playing Monster Hunter Tri was still, "Damn, this game is pretty as hell." I wouldn't even add the qualifier "for the Wii" when saying that the game looks great.

The blurry graphics are the most obvious issue with the game imo.

I really don't get how some people don't think these graphics are blurry.

I have other Wii games that are much better looking, like SMG2 and MP3 for example, and the difference in the sharpness of the textures on those games and the cleanness of the graphics in general is night and day.

The whole game looks like it's running in a slightly lower than SD res or maybe it has a sotten/blur filter or something.

MH3 is a very blurry game all things considered.

This in one Wii game where the screenshots actually look better than the game does in real life imo.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Cos they are? For the Wii anyway.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amaneuvering

Cos they are? For the Wii anyway.locopatho

That's the thing though.

Even for the Wii they are more blurry that most games and have a lot of little issues that don't make them that special imo.

The art direction and animation are really good for the most part though, I must admit, so I can see how some people would like the general look of the game.

Still, the blurriness of everything is a major downer for me personally.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I never thought they looked that good, but at least it doesn't look bad for a Wii game.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I agree with you... somewhat. The blurriness really stands out to me, too, and everything just kinda looks bland. The areas vary in terms of art design, but for the most part, I think it's pretty unimaginative. They go for realistic even though it's an entirely unrealistic premise based in fantasy. I think they could've done some really cool stuff that makes you forget about the blurriness, but they didn't.

The loading isn't an issue because it's part of the gameplay. They probably could've hidden the loading if they wanted to make it all streamlined, but having different areas is a major part of the gameplay, so it makes sense to do it the way they did.

It doesn't look as bad as The Conduit, but nothing about the graphics blows me away or anything.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#14 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Its the visual design, art direction and polish that makes the game 'look good', to me I was impressed with Monster Hunter Tri. Technical proficiency doesnt always mean it should be 'stunning'--Look at S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Arma 2 on the PC, the textures, shaders, dynamic lighting, shadows etc. destroy any game on the PS3/360 but it looks bleak and never really makes you go 'nice!'.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The game is technically impressive but artistically bland, boring and uninspired. However, the monsters have really good animation's -- the blurriness, I'm not a fan of. If anything looking at Monster Hunter 3 on my TV makes me wonder how good the new Zelda could look. Considering Nintendo thinks of MH3 as competition .. it'll be interesting, because certainly Zelda will have much better artistic direction then MH3 does.
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

If you think the game looks blurry maybe you need glasses.

It's a beautiful looking game. The monsters looks great, most of the weapons look really good and a lot of the different armor setslook cool,and the enviroments are absolutely gorgeous.The Volcano looks especially great, it reminds me of Mount Doom from Lord of the Rings.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
i don't get the blury thing either. sounds to me like you are nit picking a bit here, also as GabuEx the collision issue is only on dead monsters, if they are alive you cannot walk through them. the game looks great. sometimes i'll still get caught up looking out over the valley.
MuppetusG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuppetusG
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
I haven't noticed any blur, but maybe I've been too busy beating up on everything to stop and really study it.
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

is not blurry to me and i think it looks fantatic. Also the art direction is superb, the monster design is top notch(art design) and the scenery is often breathtaking.The textures are one of the higuest in the system (like 3x times more elaborated than Prime 3) it also uses a decent level of bumb mapping on creatures and the animations are smoth, the physics engine is also efficient and and it employs monsters than get up to the size of a 8 story building,all well animated, while keeping monsters around it well animated and all the hunters standing on it as well.

i don't get the blury thing either. sounds to me like you are nit picking a bit here, also as GabuEx the collision issue is only on dead monsters, if they are alive you cannot walk through them. the game looks great. sometimes i'll still get caught up looking out over the valley. teknic1200
same with me. MP3 ?seriously? this game ran past that one long ago.The monsters design has a terrific artistic value, and flooded forrest for instance , has magnificent water effects and design. It looks very real. Its like the ones who nitpick on Mh3 are always the one who doesnt fully own the game.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i have been playing Madworld and Dead space: Extraction recently. because madworld uses a special kind of shading that removes a lot of the higher effects, its simple graphics are really nice and great to look at. this is an art style reason. Dead Space also looks fantastic. sure its not a crisp as doom 3 from teh PC era, but i prefer its engine fo the highly detailed characters. just deal with the fact that the wii aint that grunty compared to the competition, but if u seriiously think it looks worse then the ps1 in some respects, i suggest u hoook up ur ps1 to ur HDTV and prepare to be shocked by its blurry blocky maddness

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek

it also uses a decent level of bumb mapping on creatures and the animations are smoth, the physics engine is also efficientintro94
There's no bump mapping on the monsters, at least not that I've noticed, and there's definitely no complex physics engine. The entire game is based on animations, not real-time physics. The animations are good, but they're all preset.
Its like the ones who nitpick on Mh3 are always the one who doesnt fully own the game.intro94
I own it. There's a difference between nitpicking and pointing out legitimate faults. I don't see anything amazing about the game's graphics. Granted, they don't look bad, but that's mainly because most devs don't even try to make Wii games look good. MH3 could look better than it does.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

im not one to care for graphics cause i play multiple systems, but i think the MH3 graphics are given a little too much credit, they dont look as good as people sayand other games on the wii already beat them. like i said, i still play systems like the NES so i dont care for graphics quality.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

*pics*

amaneuvering

i know what youre talking about when you look at the character model and everything like little details on the main character, its not assharpas the details on mario or metroid(well being that thats an FPS) but i think saying that its "and average looking Wii game with some good art direction" is FAR from even being a bit of a stretch in my opinion....graphics wise i think the game still looks damn good in my opinion..

besides we ALL know nintendo puts out the most quality games on the wii, so your comparisons go without saying...

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="intro94"]it also uses a decent level of bumb mapping on creatures and the animations are smoth, the physics engine is also efficientJordanElek

There's no bump mapping on the monsters, at least not that I've noticed, and there's definitely no complex physics engine. The entire game is based on animations, not real-time physics. The animations are good, but they're all preset.
Its like the ones who nitpick on Mh3 are always the one who doesnt fully own the game.intro94
I own it. There's a difference between nitpicking and pointing out legitimate faults. I don't see anything amazing about the game's graphics. Granted, they don't look bad, but that's mainly because most devs don't even try to make Wii games look good. MH3 could look better than it does.

that would be hard to gauge as personally i dont find any game looking better i dont know if the wii can actually do better. If the wii can do better, great, but i know all the loading and limitations are done within constrains of system. Sure i also have Darkside C AND Dead Space which sure, look above it but their on railed nature made resources management so much easier to those devs that is not fair. Question is, how would you make Mh3 look better and , do you think it would still run on the wii?Only devs know. i said that the engine , physics , was efficient, Not complex.Complex is no good. The ragdolls physics in Mass effect 2 are sure complex, but terrible and look laughable. On the other hand, Mh3 has simpler but more effective physics and canned animations that get the job done in a better looking way.Also i did notice bump on the first time against Uragan.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JordanElek

Question is, how would you make Mh3 look better and , do you think it would still run on the wii?Only devs know. i said that the engine , physics , was efficient, Not complex.Complex is no good. The ragdolls physics in Mass effect 2 are sure complex, but terrible and look laughable. On the other hand, Mh3 has simpler but more effective physics and canned animations that get the job done in a better looking way.Also i did notice bump on the first time against Uragan.intro94

They replaced physics with animations, which I don't have a problem with, but it doesn't really make me think the game is technically better because of it. I think it was a smart choice to avoid taxing the Wii, but that just means it's technically not very impressive. We can blame that on the Wii pretty easily, but it doesn't change what it is.

The blurriness and general lack of bright colors are what make the game look pretty bland, plus the level design isn't very imaginative, so those are the areas I'd focus on to make the game look better. Blurriness can be handled in the same way MP3 does, with texture resolution changing depending on the camera's distance from it. The color palette would be easy to brighten up, especially by getting more variety. And the level design could have more elements like the one area with sunken ruins in the flooded forest. It's a fantasy world, so it'd be nice to have more imaginative elements rather than almost entirely all realistic stuff.

Like I said, the game doesn't look bad, but it's not jaw-dropping or amazing at all.

Knight-Owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Knight-Owl
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts
Um...I don't know what you were looking at or if you're just making stuff up but. The graphics aren't blurry at all. You can't run through the monsters if they're alive, only if they're dead which doesn't really matter then anyway :P The shadows could maybe have been more detailed but when the game looks as good as it does, not to many people care about the shadows. It's not like you see them all the time and they're good enough for what you need to do to find/follow the monster anyway. The characters look great too imo, and there's a lot of different armor/weapons also. If the Wii really is the only console that you have maybe you should think about getting a different console then because it sounds to me like you only care about HD graphics, or something close to it. And that's not all gaming is about so.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
where are you playing it? on my TV textures are sharp and even if you zoom they'll look good (i tried)
Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

My game isn't blurry at all. You can't walk through a monster if it's alive.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
A chunk of the processing power of the Wii was reserved for online multiplayer and WiiSpeak, so of course it's not as detailed as a single player game like Metroid, Zelda, etc... I haven't played The Conduit yet, so I can't make a comparison there, but I imagine since it's an FPS, they don't have to render your own character on the screen very much, so that means they can put extra details on other things.
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

[QUOTE="intro94"]Question is, how would you make Mh3 look better and , do you think it would still run on the wii?Only devs know. i said that the engine , physics , was efficient, Not complex.Complex is no good. The ragdolls physics in Mass effect 2 are sure complex, but terrible and look laughable. On the other hand, Mh3 has simpler but more effective physics and canned animations that get the job done in a better looking way.Also i did notice bump on the first time against Uragan.JordanElek

They replaced physics with animations, which I don't have a problem with, but it doesn't really make me think the game is technically better because of it. I think it was a smart choice to avoid taxing the Wii, but that just means it's technically not very impressive. We can blame that on the Wii pretty easily, but it doesn't change what it is.

The blurriness and general lack of bright colors are what make the game look pretty bland, plus the level design isn't very imaginative, so those are the areas I'd focus on to make the game look better. Blurriness can be handled in the same way MP3 does, with texture resolution changing depending on the camera's distance from it. The color palette would be easy to brighten up, especially by getting more variety. And the level design could have more elements like the one area with sunken ruins in the flooded forest. It's a fantasy world, so it'd be nice to have more imaginative elements rather than almost entirely all realistic stuff.

Like I said, the game doesn't look bad, but it's not jaw-dropping or amazing at all.

Well there is no blurriness at all, I don't get where you guys are coming from.

Lack of bright colors? If you like monsters to be lots of multiple bright colors go play Pokemon. It's not supposed to be all sunshine and rainbows, it'd take away from the seriousness of the epic battles.

Level design not imaginitive? There's lots of different ways a fantasy world can look, imo the areas in the game look a lot like stuff from Lord of the Rings, and that's a great fantasy world.

I think your descriptions of Monster Hunter Tri describe World of Warcraft a lot better. A very uninspired, over ratedand unimaginitive game.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JordanElek

Lack of bright colors? If you like monsters to be lots of multiple bright colors go play Pokemon. It's not supposed to be all sunshine and rainbows, it'd take away from the seriousness of the epic battles.J_Ford
LOL, not THAT bright. Everything just kind of blends together as it is. It could be better.
Level design not imaginitive? There's lots of different ways a fantasy world can look, imo the areas in the game look a lot like stuff from Lord of the Rings, and that's a great fantasy world.J_Ford
Try to describe an area to someone without using the number. In a more imaginative world, that would be a piece of cake. As it is, it's mainly just rocks and cliffs and trees. What about some old statues in the jungle or more ruins, some cool cliff faces and other things that really set the areas apart? A LOT could be done there to make the MH world unique.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Seriously?

I played the game the other day and the textures are very blurry and low res and the game loads new scenes constantly.

The animations are good but they use the same death animations for the monsters over and over.

There's no collision with the monsters body when they are on the ground so the player runs right through them.

The shadows are rubbish and we seriously had the same kind of shadows on Link in Zelda 64. I think we are a little beyond that now no?

The humanoid character models look as though they belong on a PS1 and I'm really not exaggerating too much here.

The really blurry and low res textures however are the worst thing.

This game is really not that good looking and I have no idea why people go on about the games graphics so much.

Are Wii owners really that starved of good looking games?

MP3, SMG/SMG2, SSBB, The Conduit etc all look much better and much cleaner. Even Twighlight Princess looks better which is funny considering what Nintendo said about MH3 in relation to the new Zelda's graphics and having to compete with that game etc.

Note: I only own a Wii so I'm not an Xbox 360 or PS3 fanboy. I'm just calling it as it is.

amaneuvering
What blurriness? It looks fine on my TV. The animations are alright. Yes the character and monster shadows could be better. The character models look fine. PS1? Seriously? Again, nothing looks blurry on my TV. Apart from character/monster shadows the game looks great. Don't compare it to the crap that is The Conduit.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrunoBRS

Try to describe an area to someone without using the number. In a more imaginative world, that would be a piece of cake. As it is, it's mainly just rocks and cliffs and trees. What about some old statues in the jungle or more ruins, some cool cliff faces and other things that really set the areas apart? A LOT could be done there to make the MH world unique.

JordanElek

actually, there are some ruins spread on the forest and the island. in fact, if you go to area 2 and look south, you'll notice a huge pyramid :P

sure designs aren't unique, but hey, you're in the wild, hunting the wild, not on a tourist spot.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

BrunoBRS

actually, there are some ruins spread on the forest and the island. in fact, if you go to area 2 and look south, you'll notice a huge pyramid :P

sure designs aren't unique, but hey, you're in the wild, hunting the wild, not on a tourist spot.

That's no excuse. It's like the Conduit fans saying that the art design is as good as it could be because it's set in a real place.

Here's an example of imaginative level design - Deadly Creatures. If you've played it, you know that they made every area memorable and unique, even though it wasn't necessary (you're just an arachnid wandering around killing other bugs). I can clearly remember many areas in that game even though I only played through each level twice and it was months ago. I can only remember the MH areas because you're forced to go to each one again and again and again.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that the decent-but-nothing-special level design is game-breaking or anything, just that it could be better and should be taken into account when talking about how good the game looks. The design doesn't meet its potential.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I think 'blurriness' is the wrong word. It looks 'washed out' is what it is, rather.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

JordanElek

That's no excuse. It's like the Conduit fans saying that the art design is as good as it could be because it's set in a real place.

Here's an example of imaginative level design - Deadly Creatures. If you've played it, you know that they made every area memorable and unique, even though it wasn't necessary (you're just an arachnid wandering around killing other bugs). I can clearly remember many areas in that game even though I only played through each level twice and it was months ago. I can only remember the MH areas because you're forced to go to each one again and again and again.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that the decent-but-nothing-special level design is game-breaking or anything, just that it could be better and should be taken into account when talking about how good the game looks. The design doesn't meet its potential.

i know it's no excuse, hence why "some" and i only mention 2 of the 5 regions in the game. i honestly think the art direction on the game is great. maybe there aren't unique traces on everything you see, but it's still astonishing to, for example, look at the night sky. first time i did it i spent 10 minutes roaming with the camera pointing at it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JordanElek
i honestly think the art direction on the game is great. maybe there aren't unique traces on everything you see, but it's still astonishing to, for example, look at the night sky. first time i did it i spent 10 minutes roaming with the camera pointing at it.BrunoBRS
Yeah, the giant moon was a good touch. More stuff like that would've been great.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

The blurriness is caused by the game running at alower resolution than standard Wii games, and also the lack of anti-aliasing of any sort. Also lower the bloom effect to mild. You will see a significant difference in the quality, and the lack of "blur". I think they overused the bloom effect and that is why it looks blurry.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i honestly think the art direction on the game is great. maybe there aren't unique traces on everything you see, but it's still astonishing to, for example, look at the night sky. first time i did it i spent 10 minutes roaming with the camera pointing at it.JordanElek
Yeah, the giant moon was a good touch. More stuff like that would've been great.

the colorful stars got my attention more, actually. just gorgeous.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GabuEx

The entire game is based on animations, not real-time physics. The animations are good, but they're all preset.

JordanElek

Well that's not entirely true. When a huge monster smashes your ass and you go flying like a ragdoll, that is definitely not just a preset animation.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GabuEx

JordanElek

Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. You asked if someone could describe an area in MH3 without using the number, which I will grant you, but if someone asked me to do the same with a Deadly Creatures level, I'm not sure I could do that either, at least not in general. The levels are pretty much... well, where a spider or scorpion would go. It had imaginative level design, in terms of how you interact with the levels, but in terms of the actual sights you see, I don't think I'd agree that they were more interesting or memorable than MH3.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

GabuEx

Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. You asked if someone could describe an area in MH3 without using the number, which I will grant you, but if someone asked me to do the same with a Deadly Creatures level, I'm not sure I could do that either, at least not in general. The levels are pretty much... well, where a spider or scorpion would go. It had imaginative level design, in terms of how you interact with the levels, but in terms of the actual sights you see, I don't think I'd agree that they were more interesting or memorable than MH3.

How about the place with the bike and cacti, the buried coffin, the interior of an old truck, a dollhouse, the gas station (inside and out).... Those are just off the top of my head. In MH3, I can think of the underwater ruins, the nest-ish area that you get to through an underwater tunnel, the little cat village, the place with the giant gnarly tree, and.... that's about it. With this kind of game, it seems like they had to invest a lot of time into designing each area specifically anyway, and since they're all pretty much independent of each other, they could've all been VERY creative.

As it is, most of them are boring and nondescript.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
In reply to the TC... There IS collision detection when the monsters are on the ground, just not when they're dead. Why? Because if you have 4 people trying to harvest a mid-size monster and it wont let you walk into the body, you're going to have to take turns harvesting. That sucks, especially since you can barely get your harvests in before time runs out anyways. Sure they could extend the time, but do you really wanna take turns harvesting for 2 minutes after the fight ends? With bigger monsters, this is not a problem, since everyone can harvest as there's enough room. That's why Jhen Mohran stays solid (you can't walk through him) when he's dead. He's so big that everyone can harvest without taking turns while he's still rendered as a solid object. As for low res textures... Well, I mean the Wii is not HD. All games look blurry or jaggy or vaseliney on it. You have to realise though that the power of a console is not used solely for mere aesthetics like shadows and textures. Monster Hunter has a ton of things going on at the same time. HUUUUGE enemies, multiple enemies on screen, monster AI, cha-cha AI, hit counting on each separate body part, damage calculations based on the type of force (slicing/impact) and area hit, damage calculations based on elemental weakness and area hit, chance calculations of status attack success on monster, chance calculations of status attack success on you, skill modifier calculations for your critical hits or damage taken, etc etc. Quite frankly, these are some of the best boss fights in any game this generation, including games on PS360. And yes, watching all this unfold on your screen smoothly is part of what you call "graphics"! And damn son, lookin gooood!
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

How about the place with the bike and cacti, the buried coffin, the interior of an old truck, a dollhouse, the gas station (inside and out).... Those are just off the top of my head. In MH3, I can think of the underwater ruins, the nest-ish area that you get to through an underwater tunnel, the little cat village, the place with the giant gnarly tree, and.... that's about it. With this kind of game, it seems like they had to invest a lot of time into designing each area specifically anyway, and since they're all pretty much independent of each other, they could've all been VERY creative.

JordanElek
I don't think it's fair to compare Deadly Creatures directly to Monster Hunter like that. Deadly Creatures is a linear, story-driven game. It's all about moving forward, looking at new interesting locations. And the design of the locations HAD to be imaginative to keep the gameplay fresh. I mean, like trampolining off spiderwebs and changing your view angle and stuff... if it was just bland same-y environments, the game would be boring. But monster hunter doesn't have an interdependence between environment and gameplay like that. MH environments are basically all designed to be areas for boss fights. If you really are bent on comparing Deadly Creatures to MH, then compare the boss fight locations from DC. Do you remember them? I remember some of them, and they were nondescript.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GabuEx

JordanElek

Well, OK, I suppose there was the old truck (although it couldn't have been too memorable given that I had forgotten all about it :P), but really, you seem to have named about the same number of memorable spots in Deadly Creatures as in Monster Hunter 3. And a very good chunk of Deadly Creatures was, well, desert. Nothing very interesting about that.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

GabuEx

Well, OK, I suppose there was the old truck (although it couldn't have been too memorable given that I had forgotten all about it :P), but really, you seem to have named about the same number of memorable spots in Deadly Creatures as in Monster Hunter 3. And a very good chunk of Deadly Creatures was, well, desert. Nothing very interesting about that.

I haven't played Deadly Creatures since April of last year.... If I stopped playing MH now and tried to remember places from it in August of next year, I doubt I'd be able to really name any.

Well anyway, it's a matter of preference, and I would've preferred more imaginative designs in MH. They easily could've done it, so it's disappointing that they didn't. I've stopped in the middle of games to admire the beauty of their environments before, but not one area in MH has made me do that. I think there's still at least one more area that I haven't seen yet, but the ones so far have been pretty boring.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me... but I replied to this thread because I kind of agree with the TC that I think MH gets more praise from people for how it looks than I'd give it.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I think clickety hit the nail on the head, there is a lot going on in this game then people are giving it credit for. Then you see all the detail that went into the armor and the monsters, the animations with never a hiccup in regards to framerate. There is but so much that can be done with the Wii and you have to be appreciative of what they did accomplish. I think that is what Nintendo is talking about in regards of competition. There not just directly comparing a tree from Tri to a tree in Zelda Wii.
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Nintendo thinks MH3 looks good too & strive to better it -> new Zelda...so that's good enough for me. I don't think MH3 graphics are so good...I know they are so good, for the type of graphics they're aiming it's very good. If you don't like it..then maybe you don't like the type of graphics..abit blurry in some parts BUT OVERALL & the main thing is the MONSTERS looks AWESOME.

Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

I dont know what cables you use and what TV you use, but composite cables plus HD tv yeilds results much better than what you seem to experience

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Because they are.