Why do all the game mags seem to subconsciously hate Nintendo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for psychoscream007
psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 psychoscream007
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
It seems like every time I hear Nintendo or the Wii mentioned in GI or GamePro, it's something negative. Like, they claim they favor originality over new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc., but those are practically the only games that get good reviews! Why?
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Here's your problem: reading crap like Gamepro or Game Informer.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts

Here's your problem: reading crap like Gamepro or Game Informer.

Rocky32189
^^^ i agree
DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts

I know, if they don't want them to make those games, they should stop giving them 8s and 9s out of 10.

Da_Banker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Da_Banker
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts

because those magazines are generally for the hardcore while generally the Wii is casual.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Nintendo's good first party games generally get good reviews, so what are you complaining about? The problem is that 95% of the third party games are stinking garbage, so of course they're going to get bad reviews. Would you prefer they lie about the quality of third party games and lead you into buying crappy software?
psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psychoscream007
That's not true. 95% is preposterous. It's closer to 80. Think about Zack & Wiki (Capcom), Bleach: Shattered Blade (TOMY?), and Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega). Those are three excellent third party titles, in my opinion at least. I read GI because I like to keep up with the industry, and because it came with my GameStop card.
Xalenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 Xalenite
Member since 2006 • 304 Posts

I subscribe to Game Informer myself and I don't seem to see where you're coming up with this conclusion. The games reviewed here (GameSpot) seem to get the same score in the magazine (Game Informer). Both provide their reasons why a game is good or bad. But keep in mind that some bad parts of a game may tick off one journalist more than the other :P

psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psychoscream007
I understand that, it just seems like they're being a little hypocritical, that's all.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

I read GI because I like to keep up with the industry, and because it came with my GameStop card.psychoscream007

You can get better coverage (and more up to date news) on the internet, as well as tons of reviews for free.

I used to subscribe to EGM until I realized that everything there I had read over a month ago on the internet.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

It seems like every time I hear Nintendo or the Wii mentioned in GI or GamePro, it's something negative. Like, they claim they favor originality over new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc., but those are practically the only games that get good reviews! Why?psychoscream007

Because although they favor originality over those games they arent going to discredit for not being new things even though the games are still good. I'd rather nintendo make more FPS games but that doesnt mean i cant say a game that isnt an FPS is good.

Beech101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Beech101
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts
because all the game mags subconsciously hate themselves
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts

because all the game mags subconsciously hate themselvesBeech101

Nice.

Yeah, I saw that in GI. Not only is their attitude negative, but there's barely anything in those mags about Wii games.

Neo737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Neo737
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

I have no idea why Nintendo is the subject of so much criticism. It would make more sense if perhaps most of their games were crap and they dreaded reviewing them, but the reality is completely opposite. Gaming mags should respect Nintendo as a part of the gaming world and stop complaining about the lack of games for a "older audience" or how the Wii is just a "gimmick". Total nonsense.

Oh, and I think Gamepro has a more positive attitude towards Nintendo when compared to other magazines.

nickelarcade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nickelarcade
Member since 2008 • 528 Posts

That's not true. 95% is preposterous. It's closer to 80. Think about Zack & Wiki (Capcom), Bleach: Shattered Blade (TOMY?), and Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega). Those are three excellent third party titles, in my opinion at least. I read GI because I like to keep up with the industry, and because it came with my GameStop card.psychoscream007

here is a rhetorical question (rhetorical because i am on the big boy threads.) how many third party games on wii have as high a score as the third party games on ps3 and 360 ps3 and practically every other system nintendo hasnt done before the nindendo 64?

_Cab0ose87_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _Cab0ose87_
Member since 2006 • 1002 Posts

this is exactly why i don't pay for game mags.. all of them are composed of incompetent journalists and even Nintendo Power (read: ESPECIALLY NINTENDO POWER) is guilty of making themselves sound like complete jokers.

even with all the stuff that's happened to gamepot recently i still trust them more then anyone of those magazines, and that's good because gamespots reviews and previews are free.

TheBeast789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheBeast789
Member since 2008 • 1414 Posts

First its cus Nintendo did something different.......

second its because those mags revolve aroung FPS and games for the "Hardcore Gamers" and Nintendo lacks both of those.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

because now that video games are mainstream, there are alot of people who own lets say an xbox and PS2. and these people are too cool to play a nintendo system, since it is kiddie. these people play video games not because of the aweomse entertainment and story you get, they play because they are cool. now, all these people play the GTA 's and God of Wars out there, but are too good to play SMG or MKWii. but there are alot more of those people, so that is what magizines and site like GS try to appeal too. Now what used to be a hardocre gamer, collecting 242 stars in SMG, is not just playing an M rated game, like Gears of War.

People who play video games and appreciate a good game, they enjoy any good game, no matter what system it is on. I just got done playing COD-4 on my PC, but earlier i was playin Blast Works on my Wii. A good game is a good game, the system doesnt matter. But unfortuantly, the people like me are out numbered by the people who are too cool to play a Wii. and sadly they miss alot of good games...

psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psychoscream007

Huh. That's unexpected. When I posted this, I expected to take a lot of flak for being a Nintendo defender.

I have to disagree with one point, though. I think that a lot of the problem is that the mags focus too much on cheap shots at the Wii ad campaigns and the word "waggle" than actually paying attention to what the Wii is attempting. Nintendo wants to both expand the level of game interactivity for its hardcore fans, and start a new audience. I wish them luck, and just hope the rags can lay off for a little while.

Avatar image for Wiifanboy_4life
Wiifanboy_4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Wiifanboy_4life
Member since 2006 • 3971 Posts
I have GI, (my grandma got it for me) and you guys are misreading them. They don't hate the Wii or Nintendo. They hate the shovelware on the system. And it's true. Besides the 10 or 20 golden third-party games, the only good games to get on the Wii right now are first-party, whereas the 360 and PS3 practically thrive off of third-party support. They do bash Wii Play a lot though, (this will be the 6th issue this month I think) but with good reason I guess.
Neo737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Neo737

this is exactly why i don't pay for game mags.. all of them are composed of incompetent journalists and even Nintendo Power (read: ESPECIALLY NINTENDO POWER) is guilty of making themselves sound like complete jokers.

even with all the stuff that's happened to gamepot recently i still trust them more then anyone of those magazines, and that's good because gamespots reviews and previews are free.

_Cab0ose87_

What makes you think the journalists at Nintendo Power are incompetent?

psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psychoscream007
I don't think they're incompetent, they just seem to sound so goofy when they defend the Wii, since they either don't take it seriously, or take it too seriously.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
[QUOTE="_Cab0ose87_"]

Neo737

I agree they aren't incompetent although I don't really like Chris Slate he started working at Nintendo Power when they got sold to Future and he gave out 2 10s while before he arrived Nintendo Power had only given out 1 10 in their 19 Years and that was Resident Evil 4 (I think) I know it wasn't Ocarina of Time they gave that game a 9.5 out of 10.
daviniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 daviniel
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
Man im tired of my wii all the games I have are Zelda, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, and Metal Slug Anthology. Im thinking about getting gala+y later , but for now i must say im disappointed with my wii ever since i finished twilight princess 2 years ago. No good HARDCORE games out there. Every wii owner knows this.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Man im tired of my wii all the games I have are Zelda, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, and Metal Slug Anthology. Im thinking about getting gala+y later , but for now i must say im disappointed with my wii ever since i finished twilight princess 2 years ago. No good HARDCORE games out there. Every wii owner knows this.daviniel
You don't have Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (Gamespot gave it a bad review because it lacked Mii support and it was too Hard for him.)
Neo737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Neo737
[QUOTE="Neo737"][QUOTE="_Cab0ose87_"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I agree they aren't incompetent although I don't really like Chris Slate he started working at Nintendo Power when they got sold to Future and he gave out 2 10s while before he arrived Nintendo Power had only given out 1 10 in their 19 Years and that was Resident Evil 4 (I think) I know it wasn't Ocarina of Time they gave that game a 9.5 out of 10.

Thanks for agreeing with me. As for Chris Slate and Future, I don't think they ruined it, but I still like the old Nintendo Power better. Chris Slate will never reach the awesomeness that is Scott Pelland.

psychoscream007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 psychoscream007

Finally.

A fellow Slate hater.

He kinda seems like a total suck up as the editor and reviewer, plus the Player's Polls don't seem as cool as they used to, 'cuz the prizes are lamer.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

Only game magazine I trust is NGamer UK. They have been going since the SNES came out, and arent the least bit biased - that includes towards non-Nintendo platforms (they have a small section in each magazine dedicated to other gaming news/platforms)

Generally though I trust Magazines more than I trust sites like this one for reviews, with the exception of IGN.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
[QUOTE="_Cab0ose87_"]

Neo737

Because the magasine is a commercial for Nintendo and not real journalism...

komdosina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 komdosina
Member since 2003 • 4972 Posts

[QUOTE="psychoscream007"]That's not true. 95% is preposterous. It's closer to 80. Think about Zack & Wiki (Capcom), Bleach: Shattered Blade (TOMY?), and Sonic And The Secret Rings (Sega). Those are three excellent third party titles, in my opinion at least. I read GI because I like to keep up with the industry, and because it came with my GameStop card.UT_Wrestler

Yes, about 3 out of every 100. 95% crap was too generous of an estimate for 3rd party games, looks more like 97. Do the math, genius.

Troll much, give me some proof that its as bad as 95% or the more proposterous 97% crap that you claim. Bias and personal negative preception don't make good facts on the catual amount of shovelware to good games on the Wii. So please head back to the SW forums.

Neo737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Neo737
[QUOTE="Neo737"][QUOTE="_Cab0ose87_"]

Jazunn

Because the magasine is a commercial for Nintendo and not real journalism...

Oh, right. It's because they only cover Nintendo, and when they review Nintendo games, they generally get good scores. They would only give such high scores because their Nintendo games, nothing else. Ridiculous. The other companies have their own magazines, do you think the same about them? If you have a good reason to back up your statement, I'd like to hear it.

AsianGamerBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AsianGamerBoy

There are many bad third party titles though like shattered blade and EA playground

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Gamepro is crap all around. Probably because Nintendo is a household name by gamers whether hardcore or casual. When Nintendo came out and said we aren't doing the Hard Drive thing, but we will have dl games. The core gamer has a certain way they like their games to be, like in mario kart with 2 player GP, that is a must for any core gamer and they did not deliver. They want to be treated like we know what we are doing and that we don't need things simplified or the difficulty toned down. If the big N wants to make game easy for newcomers, that is fine, just keep the core things as they are and add more features that a core gamer would want like rewards for doing challenges and extra characters and so on.

How is Endless Ocean a game? I understand where GI gave that a horribly low score. How is Boogie a game? No one but people's parents and grandparents know all the words to those songs. Where is Pilotwings, F-zero, Waverace? Wave Race and F-zero have always been put out relatively early in all of N's systems other than the ones that came before the idea was thought up. F-zero was a launch for SNES and came out in the second year of N64 and GC. WR was a game that launched with N64 and GC, Pilotwings launched with SNES and N64. There were no Mario related games at launch with Wii, and Zelda was only partly there because it was just a GC port. The only core games N had were the Z port, Monkey Ball, Call of Duty 3, and Need For Speed Carbon. Red Steel was crap and Tony hawk Downhill Jam named itself correctly because that series has been going downhill since underground. Call of Duty 3 and Carbon were both better on ps3/360.

We had Elebits which was fun for a bit, but mostly for casual, then Warioware (awsome), Paper Mario. Prince of Persia (ps2 game), RE 4(GC/PS2 game. Mario Party 8 was nothing but the same crap as the first 7.

Metroid Prime 3 finally arrives and it's great (hooray finally an actual wii game) Then Dewy and Dragon Blade have pretty bad level layouts as well as motion controls. Zack and Wiki arrives and is a great use fo the wiimote but fails to make mainstream, Most likely we won't see another one to a game that actually did great things for the system. November comes and Mario finally makes a real appearance. (ok cool) Batallion Wars is alright but fails even harder than Z and W. There is a bunch of arcade games like House of the Dead, Ghost Squad and Umbrella Chronicles out. I mean you can go to a rundown arcade and get a 5 dollar roll of quarters, play those games, finish them, and still have money left over for a pack of gum. Fire emblem is good, but more of the exact same with a weaker story.

Endless Ocean, No More Heroes, Smash Bros arrive. No more heroes is hit and miss, some liked the controls but the overall openess of the game wasn't really that open. Endless Ocean a game? SSMB a saving grace. Mario Kart, good, but missing a couple of core features. Okami and Baroque PS2 ports. Wii Fit, (I bought the system to play games, if I wanted to lose weight I would have started a jog route)

Tell me again why should the mags praise we every second of the day? It sounds as if I just bashed the wii, but that is how it is. Yes I didn't touch on a few other games like mario strikers and all, but you get the point. What is coming for Wii that we know about that is soooo great as of right now? Wario Shake, De blob, Maybe Sam and Max. Rock Band on Wii is crap and is extremely late.