Who Else Is In The Same Situation I'm In? Complaints Are Welcome

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I had a launch Wii that was fixed a few times then they sent me a remanufactured one and now they're sending me a new one.

Long story short, I will now own a completely new retail Wii and while all my Virtual Console games will be transferred over I will have lost my games saves for a good chunk of my game library.

Games like MLB Power Pros where I have 120+ hours of gaming needs to be restarted.

Trauma Center is also completely gone and needs to be started over from scratch.

Probably the worst game in all of this (because it's got like 2 dozen unlockables) is Super Smash Bros Brawl

ALL BECAUSE OF NO SD CARD SUPPORT!

So my question is this, how many users have had to replace their Wii (or just their memory) and have lost chunks of their gaming history on their Wii?

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Why is it that you're so unlucky with broken Wii's? I own a launch console and it works great. Although, it seems lately it freezes up a bit when opening channels, but they resume in just a few seconds and work fine. This may or may not be a prelude to a broken and un-warranted console. That would be bad.

On the whole SD card problem, I think it's the biggest mistake Nintendo is making. Full SD card support should be allowed, whether it be for saves or storage for VC and WiiWare titles. I know it's not just them, but 3rd party developers as well, not allowing saves to be copied to an SD card for some games. Something needs to be done about that.

That's really my biggest and only real gripe I have with this console.

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
well i own a 7 month old wii and never had any problems. i also think it's a huge huge problem that there are games who dont support savegames on a SD card. i mean why? can't be that difficult to implement that feature and it really sucks if u get in a situation like jaysonguy.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy

Why is it that you're so unlucky with broken Wii's?

ozzsoad

No idea, as soon as I got the Wii I went out and bought it it's own shelf to sit on. I keep it in a climate controlled room and keep it dusted. The only time I'm in contact with it besides dusting is inserting disks.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Couldn't Nintendo transfer the saves and VC consoles on the new Wii?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

Couldn't Nintendo transfer the saves and VC consoles on the new Wii?m_machine024

They transfer the rights to the Virtual Console.

Sometimes they can't swap memory.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
Wait dont some games have SD card support?
WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts
I'm able to move my saves to my SD card. But what you are saying is that you had some error where you can't? Maybe I should check again but it worked for me. They should also do something with the USB. Maybe a small 1 or 2 gig flash drive that could work if the SD fails.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
Wait dont some games have SD card support?Cyber-
Most do, some don't. There are some games, like Guitar Hero 3 and Brawl, that you can't copy save files to an SD card.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

I'm able to move my saves to my SD card. But what you are saying is that you had some error where you can't? WolfWatch

No, I'm saying that there's games on the Wii that you can never save to an SD card. The ones I've listed plus a lot more here in.....

THIS THREAD I MADE (that will be updated tomorrow)

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cyber-
Jasonguy have you copied the games that CAN use SD cards.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

Jasonguy have you copied the games that CAN use SD cards.Cyber-

Yup, and I even have backups of those games on a second card. lol

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cyber-

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]Jasonguy have you copied the games that CAN use SD cards.Jaysonguy

how many of your games are savable?

WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

[QUOTE="WolfWatch"]I'm able to move my saves to my SD card. But what you are saying is that you had some error where you can't? Jaysonguy

No, I'm saying that there's games on the Wii that you can never save to an SD card. The ones I've listed plus a lot more here in.....

That's aweful. And a bit silly of Nintendo. So what if I give my freind a copy of my save data so he can be up-to-date? Is it going to ruin Nintendo? I think they could work to make one of the most secure prisons in the world if they wanted to...

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cyber-
Yet another feature on wii that has nintendo fans going "WTF?" There is literally no reason they should essentially block games from using SD cards.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]Jasonguy have you copied the games that CAN use SD cards.Cyber-

how many of your games are savable?

Most, and I see that glitch from the other night also wiped out most of that thread so I'm going to have to rebuild it tomorrow too.

Pretty much anything that I'm able to save I have saved, twice

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

Yet another feature on wii that has nintendo fans going "WTF?" There is literally no reason they should essentially block games from using SD cards.Cyber-

Smash Bros I understand. There's a lot of content to unlock and it's kind of a badge of honor to be able to do it all yourself.

As for EVERY other game?

No freaking idea

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cyber-

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]Yet another feature on wii that has nintendo fans going "WTF?" There is literally no reason they should essentially block games from using SD cards.Jaysonguy

Smash Bros I understand. There's a lot of content to unlock and it's kind of a badge of honor to be able to do it all yourself.

As for EVERY other game?

No freaking idea

I dont think Nintendo has the right to decide whether gamers should do that or not. I know I would never copy someone else memory because I play SSBB religiously, but I know some people are are extremely impatient and dont really care about that. On top of that what if you wanna go to a friends house and he just got the game. Furthermore the game has ZERO stat tracking for online and as for the offline stats it just doesnt need to copy that data.

I totally see where your coming from but its a micromanagment. I just wish Nintendo was that nitpicky about other things like making channel surfing faster and more accessible online.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

[QUOTE="WolfWatch"]I'm able to move my saves to my SD card. But what you are saying is that you had some error where you can't? Jaysonguy

So now you're on your forth Wii?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

So now you're on your forth Wii?
theweakbear

No, the first one was fixed a few times then they just recently sent me a remanufactured one that also did not work so I called up and said "No remanufactured, I want brand new get off the shelf at Best Buy retail" so that's the one I'm being sent now.

So this is my third but I never got a chance to use the second one.

trumpettruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trumpettruck
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

I'm able to move my saves to my SD card. But what you are saying is that you had some error where you can't? Maybe I should check again but it worked for me. They should also do something with the USB. Maybe a small 1 or 2 gig flash drive that could work if the SD fails.WolfWatch

i copy savegames onto an SD card all the time... especially for Strikers Charged if i'm playing a cup (the last one with Petey is HARD). if you lose the championship... just replace the savegame file and you don't have to restart the whole cup!

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts
Well I can't offer you much support but a little tip. In Smash Bros. if you are looking to get every character, set the game to 1 stock, 1 comp opponent, and no time. Just KO yourself by walking off the edge about 400 times. Every character is now yours. I believe 450 is the # to unlock the final one, Wolf
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
This thread actually taught me something. See, I thought I could just go out and buy an SD card to back up my saved files, but I guess this isn't the case. I find it very odd that only certain games allow you to do this.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy

This thread actually taught me something. See, I thought I could just go out and buy an SD card to back up my saved files, but I guess this isn't the case. I find it very odd that only certain games allow you to do this.Conjuration

You can still save most games and I recommend everyone doing it.

The pain is that not all of them save to the SD card.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
There really isn't much to do when your console breaks.I lost all my save files on my first Wii,but it was due to corrupted system memory.Due to the type of problem,there isn't much they could have done to save the files.My second one broke one or two weeks after that,and I didn't have much too lose....because I had already lost all of them before.>_>
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I had a launch Wii that was fixed a few times then they sent me a remanufactured one and now they're sending me a new one.

Long story short, I will now own a completely new retail Wii and while all my Virtual Console games will be transferred over I will have lost my games saves for a good chunk of my game library.

Games like MLB Power Pros where I have 120+ hours of gaming needs to be restarted.

Trauma Center is also completely gone and needs to be started over from scratch.

Probably the worst game in all of this (because it's got like 2 dozen unlockables) is Super Smash Bros Brawl

So my question is this, how many users have had to replace their Wii (or just their memory) and have lost chunks of their gaming history on their Wii?

Jaysonguy

I've been gaming for over 20 years, and in that time, I've never had a Nintendo console need to be repaired. Could it possibly be something you're doing (letting the dog pee on the console, throwing it across the room when you lose, etc) that's a huge influencing factor?

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
You have been unlucky, I guess. Sorry for you. But, it is true, there must be more SD card support. I don't understand why Nintendo is making the SD card slot in the Wii every time more useless.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jbul

I've been gaming for over 20 years, and in that time, I've never had a Nintendo console need to be repaired. Could it possibly be something you're doing (letting the dog pee on the console, throwing it across the room when you lose, etc) that's a huge influencing factor?

High five for reading all of the thread

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jbul
[QUOTE="Jbul"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

High five for reading all of the thread

I don't high five, sorry. And I did read all the thread. It doesn't change the fact that I find it odd that you had technical problems with your Wii.

ebaybenjidogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ebaybenjidogg
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

It does seem a bit odd that you've had so many problems Jaysonguy. I mean look at the poll. Not many other seem to be having repeat issues.

Do you live somewhere with bad electrical wiring? (causing surges or unusual electric pulses)

Have you had issues with repeated power outages?

Do you put crackers in the Wii disc slot? ;)

Just seems strange to me.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

I don't high five, sorry. And I did read all the thread. It doesn't change the fact that I find it odd that you had technical problems with your Wii.

Jbul

Well I thought this part here....

No idea, as soon as I got the Wii I went out and bought it it's own shelf to sit on. I keep it in a climate controlled room and keep it dusted. The only time I'm in contact with it besides dusting is inserting disks.

Jaysonguy

Would clear everything up. See, going by that (and the rest of the thread you read) most people would come to the conclusion that my launch console was a lemon, the second arrived broken, and I'm getting another one to replace it.

And it's ok about the high five :D

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jaysonguy

It does seem a bit odd that you've had so many problems Jaysonguy. I mean look at the poll. Not many other seem to be having repeat issues.

Do you live somewhere with bad electrical wiring? (causing surges or unusual electric pulses)

Have you had issues with repeated power outages?

Do you put crackers in the Wii disc slot? ;)

Just seems strange to me.

ebaybenjidogg

Why doesn't anyone read everything lol :P

Like I said right above me. First one a lemon, second one came to my house broken, third one flying to my house now.

ledime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#33 ledime
Member since 2005 • 853 Posts

My Wii is just fine really. But that sounds horrible. They should definitely make the Wii's SD Card capabilities broader.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jbul
[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Would clear everything up. See, going by that (and the rest of the thread you read) most people would come to the conclusion that my launch console was a lemon, the second arrived broken, and I'm getting another one to replace it.

Fail. See, I must've missed the Forumgoer Manual that states I must read every reply before I post one myself. I have no interest in doing so before making a comment, and you should expect that, especially with 15k worth of posting experience.

Sorry about your lemon Wii, but don't act like everyone reading your initial post should just "know" the information you wish them to, things don't work that way.

If you high-five, and you're over the age of 18, something's wrong with you. :P

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Jaysonguy

Fail. See, I must've missed the Forumgoer Manual that states I must read every reply before I post one myself. I have no interest in doing so before making a comment, and you should expect that, especially with 15k worth of posting experience.

Sorry about your lemon Wii, but don't act like everyone reading your initial post should just "know" the information you wish them to, things don't work that way.

I sense unnecessary hostility...

WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

I voted - sent my Wii in for repair and got it back with game saves intact. I was stressing over MLB Power Pros as well. I've taken pictures of all of my Success Mode passwords so I could re-enter them if I had to, but there's no way to get Season Mode data back or all of the unlockables without redoing them :(

Jayson, you really should check out the MLBPP Wiki and discussion forum, great site for the game. I've got a page on my site with a bunch of Hall of Famer players I've made in Success Mode - http://www.inside-corner.com/mlbpp.html

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cyber-

That sucks Jasonguy. Seriously that has too be the worst luck I have heard with a Nintendo console.

BTW a little factoid, MLB was one of the many games Wii fans generally ignored eventhough it was really good.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I've been very lucky. I've never had to replace any of my Nintendo systems.
Ryder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Ryder123
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts

I got my Wii a year ago and I haven't had any problems, but that's probably because I never use standby, plus, I rarely play it.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Ok if you have 120 hours in Power Pros I would consider that the biggest hit not 2 dozen unlockables in SSBB because you can unlock things very fast in that game.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jbul
[QUOTE="Jbul"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Jbul"]

Cyber-

Jaysonguy

I sense unnecessary hostility...

I sense someone making an unwelcome comment in a thread, and contributing nothing...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy
I sense this whole thread going off course