Which franchises need a Mature remake?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Kori-san
Member since 2010 • 604 Posts

Growing up with my Nintendo and 64 (now 22 yrs old) I loved the Zelda's, Mario's, and Metroid's. I won't comment on the Wii or its library but I never play it besides Monster Hunter. Just too many games to play.

anywayz

I would love to see Mature versions of these awesome series. Whether blood, bad language, serious and moody relationships, genuine hardships, failures, and triumphs. I just.....feel nothing for the characters in their recent adventures. Just not feelin the "magic" anymore. Maybe I'm just getting older but yea.

What about you guys?

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Final Fantasy ;)

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JuarN18

Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.wiifan001
Some of the best games of all time are rated M and lots of them don't contain nudity or senseless violence

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.JuarN18

Some of the best games of all time are rated M and lots of them don't contain nudity or senseless violence

They are rated M for a reason. But I am a man of chance. You get yours: Example- [insert here]
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JuarN18

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.wiifan001

They are rated M for a reason. But I am a man of chance. You get yours: Example- [insert here]

I was going to say the half life series, starcraft, and the metal gear solid series

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#7 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.

You went WAY too far. A game being M-rated does NOT mean it's loaded with "senseless violence". Seriously? Nobody should be worried about Nintendo franchises being rated M; you should worry about them turning into mindless action games. :? And the Half-Life games say hi. There was nothing senseless about them; go and buy HL2 if you don't believe me. The mature content simply made the atmosphere much more convincing. If Nintendo made an M-rated Zelda, I guarantee it would be FAR from a mindless GoW-type game. Not that they SHOULD make it M-rated or anything.
Morrisfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Morrisfire
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Mature rated games should be banned from the shelves. In today's world, fun and visuals are more important than keeping standards/morals. That's the biggest problem with the user base. Language does not and should not be spreading to the gaming industry, as many other elements. Neither should many things that ESRB otherwise takes notice when giving a rating pending. There is no magic anywhere in details of that kind of crap. Nintendo should never make their franchises and characters involved in an M rated project. *Oh but look at what NIntendo on the Gamecube did with Geist and Eternal Darkness* NO. The developers needed a company to publish their title for, and Nintendo's minimal effort in 2006 with the Gamecube, becuase they gave up on it.wiifan001

What a tool.
MOST and SOME of the best games are Mature rated, games like Mario only do so well because of their following from when they came out when there wasn't an extremely large mature game scene.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiifan001
[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="JuarN18"] Some of the best games of all time are rated M and lots of them don't contain nudity or senseless violence

I was going to say half life series, starcraft, and the metal gear solid series

Beating a guy to death with a crowbar and letting blood flowing out a victim, and a franchise that breaks necks in half along according to esrb "sexual themes and partial nudity" in most titles, isn't senseless, senseless enough? And Starcraft isn't rated M, not that. We'll focus on the Teen rated stuff, but primarily the M rated titles first and fore most.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think Metroid would do good with a rated M remake. Not like God of War, but just some blood so it has a stronger feel when you hit enemies. And maybe when you kill something the body stays. I think it may add to the loneliness factor of the game. It would make Samus feel like more of a "Lone Wolf" I think.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Contra maybe?

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiifan001

I think Metroid would do good with a rated M remake. Not like God of War, but just some blood so it has a stronger feel when you hit enemies. And maybe when you kill something the body stays. I think it may add to the loneliness factor of the game. It would make Samus feel like more of a "Lone Wolf" I think.

AmayaPapaya
The Metroid Prime games did have blood with some of their creatures, most commonly in MP2: Echoes.. And the bodies can't stay long due to hardware limitations.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="JuarN18"] Some of the best games of all time are rated M and lots of them don't contain nudity or senseless violence

JuarN18

I was going to say the half life series, starcraft, and the metal gear solid series

MGS3 is very suggestive anyways, I've been thinking of Space Opera style Super Mario Galaxy recently and I think it actually might work, you know. Evil galactic warlord kidnapping a princess to "bake cookies" for him, his son who is just sinister and evil, a hunted outcast and a drug addict firing fireballs and stuff and commandeering a ship that bears his "mark", a mysterious and magical woman urging the protagonist to fight against the evil, a fat purple engineer, the protagonist's brother who suffering from an inferiority complex, giant galactic dragons that try to swallow the protagonist, a resistance brigade made up of defeated soldiers under the princess' kingdom, weird green space creature that the protagonist rides on..... omg this is too good.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

wiifan001

The Metroid Prime games did have blood with some of their creatures, most commonly in MP2: Echoes.. And the bodies can't stay long due to hardware limitations.

I was thinking of it as a next gen thing. i know the Wii can't keep stuff like dead bodies on screen. The blood must be not very noticeable. I was thinking a little more prominent. Maybe not just like blood. But something like Killzone 2 or Red Dead Redemption, where your enemy really reacts to the shots in a realistic way. Something I was also thinking of is you can see the effect of your power on the dead bodies. Kinda so you feel like you have a huge role in the ecosystem. You shoot an enemy in the arm, it flies off (not a huge gore like arm flying around with blood squirting, but enough to make you see it) and when it dies you see the arm and body and the effects. Make sense :P

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JuarN18

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] They are rated M for a reason. But I am a man of chance. You get yours: Example- [insert here]funsohng

Beating a guy to death with a crowbar and letting blood flowing out a victim, and a franchise that breaks necks in half along according to esrb "sexual themes and partial nudity" in most titles, isn't senseless, senseless enough? And Starcraft isn't rated M, not that. We'll focus on the Teen rated stuff, but primarily the M rated titles first and fore most.

What's the difference between half life and killing with a sword in zelda the blood is that it? in MGS4 you can finish the game without killing a single soldier, you can do that in super mario galaxy? and just because a game has nudity or "partial" nudity it doesn't make it automatically senseless

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiifan001
[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

I was thinking of it as a next gen thing. i know the Wii can't keep stuff like dead bodies on screen. The blood must be not very noticeable. I was thinking a little more prominent. Maybe not just like blood. But something like Killzone 2 or Red Dead Redemption, where your enemy really reacts to the shots in a realistic way. Something I was also thinking of is you can see the effect of your power on the dead bodies. Kinda so you feel like you have a huge role in the ecosystem. You shoot an enemy in the arm, it flies off (not a huge gore like arm flying around with blood squirting, but enough to make you see it) and when it dies you see the arm and body and the effects. Make sense :P

Well, I wouldn't buy it then. >__>
Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kori-san

AmayaPapaya

wow...I totally agree. I mean, make me feel like I'm all alone fighting for my life for a freaking change....

Super Metroid made me feel so lonely and scared even at points with the music and environments.

I'm not saying go and put mindless stuff in but adult scenes and such really do make me feel like its real. As in game immersion......

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

None. If anything, YOU need to grow out of your "NEEDS MOAR BLOOD/GORE/BOOBS" phase. Only teenagers have that mindset, and you said you're 22...

Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kori-san

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] They are rated M for a reason. But I am a man of chance. You get yours: Example- [insert here]funsohng

MGS3 is very suggestive anyways, I've been thinking of Space Opera style Super Mario Galaxy recently and I think it actually might work, you know. Evil galactic warlord kidnapping a princess to "bake cookies" for him, his son who is just sinister and evil, a hunted outcast and a drug addict firing fireballs and stuff and commandeering a ship that bears his "mark", a mysterious and magical woman urging the protagonist to fight against the evil, a fat purple engineer, the protagonist's brother who suffering from an inferiority complex, giant galactic dragons that try to swallow the protagonist, a resistance brigade made up of defeated soldiers under the princess' kingdom, weird green space creature that the protagonist rides on..... omg this is too good.

YES YES YES. Oh how amazing this would be. I would love seeing Mario go through jealous episodes when Peach decides to be more attracted to Luigi. lol

Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kori-san

None. If anything, YOU need to grow out of your "NEEDS MOAR BLOOD/GORE/BOOBS" phase. Only teenagers have that mindset, and you said you're 22...

LordQuorthon

....:?

Not sure I said any of those things.

Read post again. ;)

bballer1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bballer1024
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Nintendo will never release a game on one of its franchises with an M rating. FACT.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] The Metroid Prime games did have blood with some of their creatures, most commonly in MP2: Echoes.. And the bodies can't stay long due to hardware limitations.wiifan001

Well, I wouldn't buy it then. >__>

Why not :o It's not like I'm talking super violence. Just realistic reaction.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I turn 22 this year myself and the reason that Nintendo's games have a magical quality to them is because they are good for almost alll ages. I've always compared them to Pixar in this regard. Both companies are keeping a dying part of their medium alive and in high quality when almost no one else will.

We NEED these games/movies

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

JuarN18

Starcraft is rated Teen.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

none of those series would really benefit from an M rating. i mean it simply wouldnt make sense for mario to add blood, swearing, nudity ( :lol: ), or anything of the sort. mario has always been set in a fun and whimsical world. its cheeriness adds to the hallucinatory nature of the experience.

part of the coldness of the metroid prime series was that there was no fuss over gore. samus was continuing her investigation and had no time to dwell on things like that. you might see a wounded space pirate, but the only detail you know about was through the dictation of a cold calculating computer. thats far more chilling than hanging intestines from the walls. language? samus shouldnt be talking much anyway. nudity? unnecessary in every way.

violence might fit in hyrule due to it being midieval in setting. however, the heart of the series is exploration and not combat. even if more graphic violence did have a place in a zelda game, it wouldnt be a high priority. it doesnt need swearing because frankly zelda is classier than that (remember much swearing in lotr?). as for nudity, the n64 great faeries were as close as it got and i cant think of another place where it might fit.

there are enough games out there that think nudity, swearing, and violence are somehow more mature. i really cant think of a nintendo franchise that could really use it. nintendo has traditionally built its games in such a way that a M rating would feel unnatural.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

none of those series would really benefit from an M rating. i mean it simply wouldnt make sense for mario to add blood, swearing, nudity ( :lol: ), or anything of the sort. mario has always been set in a fun and whimsical world. its cheeriness adds to the hallucinatory nature of the experience.

part of the coldness of the metroid prime series was that there was no fuss over gore. samus was continuing her investigation and had no time to dwell on things like that. you might see a wounded space pirate, but the only detail you know about was through the dictation of a cold calculating computer. thats far more chilling than hanging intestines from the walls. language? samus shouldnt be talking much anyway. nudity? unnecessary in every way.

violence might fit in hyrule due to it being midieval in setting. however, the heart of the series is exploration and not combat. even if more graphic violence did have a place in a zelda game, it wouldnt be a high priority. it doesnt need swearing because frankly zelda is classier than that (remember much swearing in lotr?). as for nudity, the n64 great faeries were as close as it got and i cant think of another place where it might fit.

there are enough games out there that think nudity, swearing, and violence are somehow more mature. i really cant think of a nintendo franchise that could really use it. nintendo has traditionally built its games in such a way that a M rating would feel unnatural.

LoG-Sacrament

Nudity in Mario...that made my day. :lol:

Actually, the great faeries from TP's Cave of Ordeals were topless. :o
...but they had long hair so it wasn't noticeable. :P
But OoT's great faries did traumatized me when I was younger. :lol:

@Topic: I think M would suit Metroid very nicely, but its enough disturbing as it is. The Prime games had dead soldiers and space pirates on the ground, and some coming back to life. Each corpse had a description on how they died if you scan them. I remember jumping whenever there was a dead body behind some doors in Corruption. :?
Other franchises should stay with their E or T rating.
Knowing Nintendo, it will never happen 'cause it doesn't focus on all audience, dropping sales of the game.

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

If you're talking abt Nintendo franchise?..on a cold day in hell before that happens. Don't care if Nintendo doesn't make M-rated franchise AS LONG AS they don't censor other 3rd party games out which may contain blood ...like they did with Mortal Kombat on the SNES.

Heard alot of good things abt Heavy Rain (PS3)

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
'Matureing' up anything rarely makes it any more fun or memorable.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Hrm... I don't see why adding gore/violence/sex would make a game better, so I'd have to say that no game franchise needs a mature remake.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#30 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

None. There are great mature games out there, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should purposely remake some of their games to get them an M rating, as none of their games are held back by a lack of violence, nudity, or foul language. This whole M rating obsession needs to stop.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] They are rated M for a reason. But I am a man of chance. You get yours: Example- [insert here]wiifan001

I'm not sure I understand your use of the word "senseless" here.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

this ^^

Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

By mature, do you mean the rating? If so I definitely do NOT want to see M rated Zelda and Mario. That would ruin those games.

I actually do not want any mature(rating wise) remake at all. I can do without some blood and sex in my games thank you.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
None...There very few mature ratted games I care for. Making a game mature just for sales would be a lame reason.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I wouldn't want any of them remade to fit your personal opinion of what is mature, and neither would I want all M rated games banned just because I may disagree with them. There is currently plenty of variety out there to keep every gamers taste content, I think wanting things changed to suit you personally is exceptionally selfish.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

wow i think you went too far with this. not all mature games need to be banned but i agree that some of them go too far.

ok so i have both a wii and ps3, and its obvious that the wii is for the main traditional games that i grew up with (and the fact that i can use it as a gamecube) and my Ps3 is for the "hardcore" mature games that are not on the wii. i think its obvious what i play on the wii but i dont play every mature title on the Ps3, i like the occasional violence (most people do) but games that have too much swearing, nudity, etc for no good reason i just dont play. i bought killzone 2 the other day, its a great game and has the usualviolence that i enjoy from time to time, buti noticed that they use the f-word in every single sentence and i thought "is there a need for all this swearing?", the game could have been as good as it is without all the swearing. of course there are games like god of war which have all violence, nudity, and im not sure about swearing but i also think that game went a little far too. i like playing god of war but i think the same when it comes to the nudity parts of the game "did they need to be there?". but 1 good example of a mature title that doesnt have too much violence (not sure about nudity cause im not too far in the game but so far there has been nothing)and absolutly no serious cussing is MGS4. anyway i dont want to write anessayso ill wrap this up

i think that no nintendo game needs a mature remake, there is no need for it cause the games are already good without the "mature" factor. i remeber zelda Tp had a little things here and there that brought it away from the "E" rating and i dont think the next zelda game should go further than Tp. mature games are not needed all the time but they should not be banned, they just need to step back a little with the extreme swearing and nudity and the occasional extreme violence, but i still think the violence is at a good level already ;).

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The only 2 I can think of is Geist and Eternal Darkness but I don't want a remake of them I want a Sequel to both of them.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I wouldn't mind a game being rebooted as mature as long as it was actually a mature game with real mature content and themes, and by that I certainly don't mean adding things in to make it appeal to 13-17 year old hormony teenagers (sorry if that sounded condescending), with a bunch of swearing, over the top gore and nudity to make it seem badass. Nor do I mind if its mature in a more ironic sense, like Conker's Bad Fur Day or No More Heroes I wouldn't mind either.

But I'm not sure if any of Nintendo's franchises are really appropriate for that kind of reboot. I think their best candidate is in fact Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is probably one of Nintendo's most story intensive franchise, and past games have had a lot of mature themes in them. I wouldn't be against a mature reboot of it, perhaps with a "show the reality of wars" type grittiness.

erdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 erdemn
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts
[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

I wouldn't mind a game being rebooted as mature as long as it was actually a mature game with real mature content and themes, and by that I certainly don't mean adding things in to make it appeal to 13-17 year old hormony teenagers (sorry if that sounded condescending), with a bunch of swearing, over the top gore and nudity to make it seem badass. Nor do I mind if its mature in a more ironic sense, like Conker's Bad Fur Day or No More Heroes I wouldn't mind either.

But I'm not sure if any of Nintendo's franchises are really appropriate for that kind of reboot. I think their best candidate is in fact Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is probably one of Nintendo's most story intensive franchise, and past games have had a lot of mature themes in them. I wouldn't be against a mature reboot of it, perhaps with a "show the reality of wars" type grittiness.

Fire Emblem!!! i totally forgot about it. Probably the best nintendo franchise that would actually work in a mature theme.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

None...There very few mature ratted games I care for. Making a game mature just for sales would be a lame reason. HarlockJC

And in the case of the Wii's biggest and best games, it wouldn't even be helping sales, but rather hurting them big time. Developers would just be making a game 'M' rated for the sake of the rating itself, and that's a silly way to develop video games, IMO.

I can't see any of the elements that the TC mentioned in regards to 'Mature' games actually benefiting the premiere Wii titles. The whole nature of the Wii is creating a gaming environment where it's easy for anyone to pick up and enjoy a game almost off the bat, so the idea of throwing blood, foul language, or emotional-driven content wouldn't serve any real positive benefit. The beauty of the Wii's best and brightest games is that they're a polar opposite from the mindset that taking such a 'Mature' approach is the best and only way to go. I think the majority of the Wii userbase would prefer things stay the way they are, too.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

erdemn

Fire Emblem!!! i totally forgot about it. Probably the best nintendo franchise that would actually work in a mature theme.

Indeed. And of course I just don't mean adding blood to the battle animations either. Fire Emblem deals with lots of mature themes such as permanent death (which oddly enough very few games do), racism, war crimes, genocide, etc. I can certainly see these themes being carried a step forward and portrayed in a more provocative, impactful way successfully.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

there are more then enough games that offer what you want.

i understand what you mean though, you want nintendo to mature up one of their series so you can enjoy them more.

I want rockstar to make a surrealistic sandbox game, with crazy characters and a weird world to explore, but hey, we can dream on.

halfmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 halfmask
Member since 2010 • 240 Posts

_BlueDuck_

Hey, that's an idea. I can see that working. As long as it was more mature without being forcefully so, with unneeded blood and gore and explicit material.

A more mature Metroid- that could be done.

More mature Zelda- ehh, that might be pushing it. It's not really what the series is about; it wouldn't have the same charm.

More mature Mario- come on, that's just laughable.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

My god you're pretentious.

Anyways, none of Nintendo's main franchises should convert to M for Mature. It just doesn't have the circumstance for it. I mean, is Mario gonna suddenly bust out knives and cut people to ribbons a la Kratos? No, because it'd be stupid in a Mario game. Just like it would be stupid for Kratos to be able to kill things solely by jumoing on their heads or receiving the power of fire from a flower.

1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

How about none? Nintendo would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that, and their appeal to non-gamers would go out the window.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Meh, none. Since Mature by ESRB and most developers standards is mature by the standards of a 12yr old, I don't think I'm missing anything with Metroid not being rated M. Actually mature themes, not just basic violence or language is sometimes in the background, its very very rarely at the fore front of a game. I'm sure its that way because even though a game is rated M, publishers don't want to alienate kids.

A game with themes that are above the pay grade of a prepubescent is FO3, hidden under the excess and amusing violence are themes of fear, desperation, loneliness, and a message about how thin the line between society and chaos is. A child would never understand that, so your not going to make a game solely about that too often.You want to see that, you have to pull back the layers. Other M may offer a look at some of this in its background of blasting alien fools lol. You don't have to have an M on the box to actually look at mature themes.

In most cases an M on the box is an absolute regression from maturity because it comes with the expectations of childish maturity. Look at TP, it has some mature themes of solitude, a person having the weight of the world on their shoulders, self sacrifice and a few other things, but in the typically Japanese development style, they put some bubble gum on it, to lighten it up a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Nintendo should just create another franchise if they wanted to do that.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Nintendo should just create another franchise if they wanted to do that.

VGobbsesser

They did that last gen with Geist and Eternal Darkness which Nintendo owns part of the IP.

Kori-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kori-san

_BlueDuck_

I agree. This was what I was trying to convey to you guys. M-Rated games can provide much more than the "sex", "language", and "blood" you keep referring to.