Where is our epic game?

• 45 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TruGillies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 TruGillies
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts

Hey everyone,

A buddy and I were playing Halo 3 on his 360 the other day and gave me a question. Where is the Wii's epic game? Yes Super Mario Galaxies, LoZ:TP, Metriod Prime 3:Corruptionand Brawl are epic. I mean where is our epic that is orginal not an old character we see everytime. Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and all of its characters. I just think we as Wii owners need an orginal title to get excitied about. Something that isn't a sequel, is an orginal story and something that makes the Wii stand out even more so as a contender in the console wars.

strategyking92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 18

#2 strategyking92
Member since 2006 • 1115 Posts

the nintendo fanboys will say, "well halo3 was a sequel..."

They'de be right.

But I understand where you're coming from, the last wii game I bought was wii play in april 07'. If that says anything

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts

Hey everyone,

A buddy and I were playing Halo 3 on his 360 the other day and gave me a question. Where is the Wii's epic game? Yes Super Mario Galaxies, LoZ:TP, Metriod Prime 3:Corruptionand Brawl are epic. I mean where is our epic that is orginal not an old character we see everytime. Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and all of its characters. I just think we as Wii owners need an orginal title to get excitied about. Something that isn't a sequel, is an orginal story and something that makes the Wii stand out even more so as a contender in the console wars.

TruGillies
you were playing HALO 3 and you were wondering where the epic game for the wii is that isnt the same as games we have played before??? What the heck is new about Halo 3?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="TruGillies"]

Hey everyone,

ag1052

you were playing HALO 3 and you were wondering where the epic game for the wii is that isnt the same as games we have played before??? What the heck is new about Halo 3?

You should totally get ice cream today.

This thread took a turn for the very worst, sadly there's nothing we can do to save it except mock and that's against the TOS.

So instead?

Silence.

supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts
I honestly think that Mario Galaxy was the epic game for now. It's an amazing game with amazing controlsandit's been acclaimed as the best game of the year, the best platformer in a long time, and possibly the best mario game of his 20+ year career. Doesn't that count as epic?
Avatar image for diamonddigger87
diamonddigger87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 diamonddigger87
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
What about the game Zack and Wiki for Wii from what i've heard it's a really good game despite the fact that it doesn't have the sales to show for it.
stanley2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stanley2011
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
I think the newest epic game that nintendo is making that will hopefully comeout is Disaster:Day of Crysis:D:D:D
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Zack and Wiki would be that game. In 08, I think King Story will surprise some.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

But I understand where you're coming from, the last wii game I bought was wii play in april 07'. If that says anything

strategyking92

Yeah, that says you've been missing out on a hell of a lot....

mrcheeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrcheeser
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Well if your going by press coverage and anticipation then what about smash bros brawl? I mean is that not epic enough? There is no one who calls them self a wii owner who is not getting that game. I think thats pretty epic.
Cablestein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Cablestein
Member since 2004 • 405 Posts

I honestly think that Mario Galaxy was the epic game for now. It's an amazing game with amazing controlsandit's been acclaimed as the best game of the year, the best platformer in a long time, and possibly the best mario game of his 20+ year career. Doesn't that count as epic?supreuph

Epic to me means something that captures my attention for a long time, and pumps up my emotions.

This means stuff like Lord of the Rings. Alien. Matrix. (movies).

Games like Halo 3... Bioshock... these are epic games.

Mario Galaxy doesn't do it for me, there's not enough story. The only reason I kept playing was so I can see what new marvelous planets and puzzles were coming up. It was more about "Wow cool, look at that" kind of gameplay, less about saving the world.

Take something like 'Pacman', it still is fun and has been around for decades, but would you label a single iteration of the game as "Epic" ? No, because it's just a puzzle game. Mario is a platform game, and yes, Mario games are relatively long and packed with things to see and do, they are epic for that reason, but it's just a platformer with cute characters. Nothing to pump my emotions.

My all time favourite epic games were the Theif series on PC.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

3 words for you: No More Heroes.

TopBossUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TopBossUltra
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
I think TP was much more epic than Halo 3. Brawl is the third in the series, and will therefore be just as fresh as Halo 3 if not more. Probably more epic. I think there are much better 360 games you could have used to argue this point (Bioshock).
20fox05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 20fox05
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

the nintendo fanboys will say, "well halo3 was a sequel..."

They'de be right.

strategyking92
[QUOTE="TruGillies"]

Hey everyone,

ag1052

lolololol :P

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

Disaster Day of Crisis looks pretty epic

No More Heroes has that potential as well

InfernoLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 InfernoLink
Member since 2005 • 246 Posts
Mario isn't epic because of a lack of story and the fact that it looks like a four year olds acid trip. I totally understand what the OP means. Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 are pretty much the most epic thing on the Wii right now. SSBB has the potential to be epic, depending on how Subspace Emmissary plays out, but otherwise the Wii is seriously lacking a hardcore balls-to-the-walls Epic. This is one of the driving factors in my regret of buying a Wii. None of the games can hold my attention.
Joe_Do_This_To

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Joe_Do_This_To
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts
I really need a first person shoooter that is really addictave to play.
muffinduck01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 muffinduck01
Member since 2007 • 317 Posts

3 words for you: No More Heroes.

Robio_basic

YES thank you

but in my definaition of an epic game that means thet as you play the game you can sorta feel the wieght that is the story and that everything you do will have an impact on the characters and the other characters in the game and oly a few games have one that for like most of the zelda games after Oot the original halo fable and metroid prime 3

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

What's an epic game? Is that another term for the stupid hardcore games that no one can define? If you want games that are not casual games and coming on Wii, I cansay like 15 Wii games. You're just to blind of FPS like Halo or any violent games.
Stop being blind you fanboys and play original games for once.

You want a list:

Okami
SSBB
Mario Kart
Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratastok
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers
Disaster Day of Crisis
No More Heroes
Fatal frame
Mushroom men
Obscure: The Aftermath
Alone in the Dark
King Story
Fragile
Opoona
Baroque
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars 2
Zack & Wiki
Trauma Center Second Opinion / New Blood
Zelda
Rygar
Myst (rumoured)
Civilization Revolution
Spore
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (for you FPS fanboys)
Fire Emblem

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

Hey everyone,

TruGillies

Um, Halo 3 is not original. So by your definition, Halo3 can't be "epic" since it's an old character.

But the games you mentioned, especially Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess & Metroid Corruptionare easily "epic" IMO.

Now I don't know if "No More Heroes" will end up being great or not, but it's definitely original & exclusive to the Wii so it might be one to watch for.

InfernoLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 InfernoLink

So because a game can't hold your attention it isn't epic. You seem to define epic as cutscenes. I define epic as something on a grand scale. Like big levels, impressive graphics, awesome gameplay, and increasing difficulty. Mario Galaxy is every bit as "epic" as Halo 3. That was the "OP's" major flaw, using Halo 3 as the basis for his post. I hope Nintendo continues to concentrate on gameplay instead of trying to make a movie that take 20hrs to get to the point. How does Galaxy not have a story? Also, Galaxy looks like a 40yr-old's acid trip. Either you were dosed at 4 or you give 4yr-old doses. Can't trust you. gamecubepad

No I dont consider epic to be exclusively cutscenes. How you got that idea i'll never know. My definition of epic is more or less the same as your own, but good gameplay and awsome graphics are useless if the game cannot draw me into it's world. Take the Half Life series. By todays standards Half Life 1 is nothing special, technically, but I still go back to it and it's expansions and sequels because the world draws me in to it's conflict and engrossing storyline. That is epic. When the game makes you feel that sense of grandness. Half Life 1 and 2 are epic (As well as the episodes). Gears of War and Ocarina of Time are epic. Lord of the Rings is epic.Super Mario Galaxy, amazing though it may be, is not epic.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Okami. you arent getting much more epicness then that.

final fantasy crystal chronicles will be epic too.

monster hunter 3 could be epic too, if they put in a decent story.

trumpettruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trumpettruck
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

i love how he said... where are the epic games...? and then listed off three or four...

ooh! found them!

but yes... a wii original character would be pretty sweet... hopefully

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well apprently everyone has a different view on what Epic means, I would say Epic doesnt involve visuals or the story its a game in which the action has you hooked and you cant put the game down. It doesnt have to be photo realistic, or a new IP to be epic, at least not in my estimation. So the Wii has a few epic games and more to come.
InfernoLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 InfernoLink

Gamecubepad,

But while gameplay is obviously the most important factor, by no means should plot depth and mood be sacrificed. Its one of the reasons the Final Fantasy games have done so well. They put a big focus on story telling and drawing a player into the world they are interacting in. This is also why games that arent part of the RPG genre have done well. Half Life, Bioshock, Gears of Warare all critically acclaimed for their story telling and epic scale, while still maintaining strong gameplay.

Super_Ska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Super_Ska
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

I honestly think that Mario Galaxy was the epic game for now. It's an amazing game with amazing controlsandit's been acclaimed as the best game of the year, the best platformer in a long time, and possibly the best mario game of his 20+ year career. Doesn't that count as epic?supreuph

Seriously. Wouldn't Halo 3 be considered a sequel? I think the 3 is tthere for a reason.

elfraydoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 elfraydoh
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

i love people who just post and dont read the entire thread and they probably still dont realize that we know halo 3 is a sequel and youre not the first one to read that guy's post and figure it out.

anyways, no more heroes seems to have potential, who knows what could happen..

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts

LMAO fanboys are funny

First of all TC was not COMPARING halo 3 to games on the wii, he said he was playing with a friend and his friend asked this question.

epic games for 360 that arent sequels (like the TC was referring to):

GEARS OF WAR (short game, fun multiplayer except host advantage, epic graphics, epic story epic gameplay)

MASS EFFECT (epic graphics, epic gameplay, most epic story ive seen in a game)

BIOSHOCK (epic graphics, epic gameplay (even though its a fps that reminded me kinda of metroid) epic story)

epic games for the wii that are out or coming out:

none that ive heard of (ive only had a wii for a month tho and havent really researched it) anyone that can come up with titles please post, im interested in this also

an epic game is a game that isnt shovelware, has a great story, great graphics, great gameplay

the TC said he wanted to know where the epic games for the wiiare that WASNT a sequel.

mario galaxy is far from epic, as it uses the same graphics as mario sunshine, no story at all, but it DOES have epic gameplay. also this is a sequel (very fun sequel, but its definately not epic)

zelda is far from epic because i played it and had a blast with it, but at the end, i put the game down and never killed gannon because i got bored with it. graphics werent epic (seeing that as with mario it uses the same graphics as the gamecube) but as with mario the gameplay WAS epic., but the story wasnt epic. (again this game was very fun up till it got boring)

ive got metroid, havent tried it yet, but from what ive seen the graphics are only slightly better than the gamecube version, and i dont really like the fact that to turn you have to use the wii remote, and to strafe the thumbstick left or right. i might get used to it though. (also a sequel)

i love my wii but i fear unless NINTENDO makes good with the big 3rd party companies its burned in the past i dont see much new content that could be epic coming out. im soo afraid that the wii will end up like the N64 and the gamecube (in which nintendo lost all its 3rd party support and all we really got with those 2 systems was shovelware) except for the 1st party titles.

seems like hardly anyone read the TC's post, the fanboys all saw the great satan HALO 3 mentioned and began flaming.

ive found the wii is more of juat having epic gameplay titles with lesser graphics and storys to make them accessible to people of all ages,

flame on fanboys, but if anyone can post some names of titles that can compare to the 3 xbox 360 games i mentioned please do, i want more games for my wii

InfernoLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 InfernoLink

Lesser graphics dont make the game not epic. Doom 1 and 2 were epic, as was Half Life and Quake 2,and Ocarina of Time. Golden Sun 1 and 2 were epic, despite their graphics, and let's not forget Metroid Fusion. In the end I believe a games "epicness" all comes down to the personal definition of an Epic.

-kazoku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -kazoku-
Member since 2004 • 116 Posts

Wow! No one has attempted to address the question raised in the original post. Fanboys are ridiculous. Here are some key words:

epic, for Wii, not a sequel, non-Nintendo character

Now see if you can come up with something without going into cardiac arrest over the mention of Halo 3.

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gearsofhalogeek

the games you mentioned had epic graphics at the time of their release

an epic game (in the terms of the industry of critics must have:

epic graphics

epic story

epic gameplay

and most times epic sound

(thats why most games are rated by these 4 categories)

im pretty sure TC is talking about these categories and looking for some hyped wii games that arent shovelware, first party rehashes, or pure crap

but i agree each person has a different definition of epic, but im going with what the critics call epic

dirtymurdy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dirtymurdy123
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
what about deadline. that will be a pretty bloody game thats a fps. so will ghost recon(so i hear) those are some bloody games coming out for the wii. and whats the deal with the headset..i mean common(offtopic)
dirtymurdy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dirtymurdy123
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
now an origonal bloody fps would be cool but mario will when over those games anyways. i also saw that call of duty 5 is coming out for the wii
Char1es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Char1es
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts

LMAO fanboys are funny

First of all TC was not COMPARING halo 3 to games on the wii, he said he was playing with a friend and his friend asked this question.

gearsofhalogeek

actually thats just really your assumption, i dont think youre correct though. It very much appears that the TC implied that Halo 3 was an epic and original IP

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gearsofhalogeek

@Gearshalofanboy

Mario Galaxy is above the level of Halo and apparently won GAME OF THE YEAR, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. That Galaxy and Zelda:TP aren't like Halo 3 and Gears. Wow. Pure genius. So what you two are saying is you want violent FPS games on the Wii. How profound. The gameplay in Halo and Bioshock, and even Mass Effect is nothing special. Once the graphics get old your left with oatmeal at best.

gamecubepad

LMAO your funny

i didnt say halo was better than mario. (i dont think anyone did)

didnt say anything bout wanting "violent fps"

gears isnt a fps, it has great graphics, fun gameplay, great sound, great multiplayer (cept for the host advantage)

bioshocks gameplay is great, i dont guess you ever played it though. you sound too much like the type that boycotts microsoft, and thats your business. and the graphics, sound and story are great.

mass effects got the best story, great gameplay, sound and graphics.

didnt say anything about zelda and mario being like halo.... you saw the TC mentioned halo and jumped to conclusions, the same as with my mention of halo in my post.

really you should start reading posts instead of looking for halo being mentioned, you might learn something.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts

The epic game for the Xbox was Gears of War.

For the Wii, I hope it's No More Heroes.

_FuturMarine_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _FuturMarine_
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

i think we all need to have a big group hug *opens arms, gives big hug and lets out a deep breath*

dont u feel better now :D

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gearsofhalogeek
[QUOTE="gearsofhalogeek"]

LMAO fanboys are funny

Char1es

actually thats just really your assumption, i dont think youre correct though. It very much appears that the TC implied that Halo 3 was an epic and original IP

A buddy and I were playing Halo 3 on his 360 the other day and gave me a question. Where is the Wii's epic game?

thats not a comparison, thats what he was doing when his friend posed the question. he makes no mention of comparing halo 3 to wii games

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Epic Game:

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

Zack and Wiki

Super Mario Galaxy

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Ha. Everything you did in Halo 3 could've been done on a PC at least six years earlier. Galaxy brought something fresh to the table, not Forge and Movie Clips.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

@Gearshalofanboy

Mario Galaxy is above the level of Halo and apparently won GAME OF THE YEAR, so I'm not quite sure what your point is. That Galaxy and Zelda:TP aren't like Halo 3 and Gears. Wow. Pure genius. So what you two are saying is you want violent FPS games on the Wii. How profound. The gameplay in Halo and Bioshock, and even Mass Effect is nothing special. Once the graphics get old your left with oatmeal at best.

gamecubepad

Lol, where has this guy been,as far as I know, Mario Galaxy has won 1, let me say it again, 1 Game of the Year award (Gametrailers) every other source I bothered to look up gave Bioshock Game of the Year...

I also loved your comment on Bioshock's gameplay being "nothing special". Have you even played the game? Cause if you did you'd realize that there is more to the game then just shooting...

gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gearsofhalogeek

i guess marios story is better than mass effects in this guys opinion.... lmao too funny

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

@Gearshalofanboy

Niff_T

Lol, where has this guy been,as far as I know, Mario Galaxy has won 1, let me say it again, 1 Game of the Year award (Gametrailers) every other source I bothered to look up gave Bioshock Game of the Year...

I also loved your comment on Bioshock's gameplay being "nothing special". Have you even played the game? Cause if you did you'd realize that there is more to the game then just shooting...

Galaxy got GOTY in as many places as Bioshock if not more, and this includes Gamespot.

Do your research, buddy.

garyisthebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 garyisthebest
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts

Have all of you forgotten about a game called: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers?

The Final Fantasy franchise is all about the epicness, and this isn't a multiplayer focused one (I haven't play the GC Crystal chronicals so I can't say it was bad, but Final Fantasies should be 1 player I reckon) so it is going to be way more story driven and looks really good.