What's with the prices?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 VegasAceVII
Member since 2006 • 404 Posts
Anyone notice how expensive the Ds games are getting? The big titles are going up to much. 'The World Ends With You' is 40 dollars retail price!? 10 more dollars and we'll be close to ps2 new releases...next!
icecoldkilla25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 icecoldkilla25
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
yea i bought final fantasy revenant wings and it was 40 dollars. well isnt it only 5 dollars higher than than most ds games. arent most ds games 35?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Prices aren't going up

Nintendo titles are 19.99 - 29.99 - 34.99 (for top tier)

SE games are either 29.99 or 39.99

It's always been that way on the DS, this is nothing new.

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#5 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
Sadly, all of Square-Enix's titles are retailing at 40 bucks, which is a problem for my wallet...Honest, I could get The World Ends with You or Okami for the exact same price?! I mean, TWEWY looks fun, but Okami is such a better value.
VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VegasAceVII

Sadly, all of Square-Enix's titles are retailing at 40 bucks, which is a problem for my wallet...Honest, I could get The World Ends with You or Okami for the exact same price?! I mean, TWEWY looks fun, but Okami is such a better value. bluej33

This is exactly my point, you could get a higher quality game, and that is worth 40 bucks. I love Square-Enix to death, but I'm not paying those prices. IF people continue to buy there games for that much, they'll jack up the prices even more. I'll wait for a price drop.

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VegasAceVII

Prices aren't going up

Jaysonguy

Why can't it be 29.99? I have seen very few 39.99 games on the Ds. And if the range of prices go from 19.99 to 39.99....I'm asking...why 39.99? Not all of there games are this much money.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Prices aren't going up

VegasAceVII

Why can't it be 29.99? I have seen very few 39.99 games on the Ds. And if the range of prices go from 19.99 to 39.99....I'm asking...why 39.99? Not all of there games are this much money.

Because they feel they offer you a product that is worth that much. Square Enix has dedicated a substantial amount of time and money into making DS games and overall has been very good with the system.

You're making it sound like DS games shouldn't cost that much because it's "only" a handheld and that's an awful way to think about it. That thinking is why some devs never really utilize the DS because they don't want to waste so much effort on something that's "only" a handheld.

The World Ends With You is being talked about as a must play game this generation, not just this platform. That means that it contends with everything out today and most of the games it's contending with are a heck of a lot higher priced then 39.99.

Square has very good games that have a lot of care in every area. They're made to be stories that give you an all around best bang for your buck from art to story to being bug and glitch free.

Just like Nintendo charges 34.99 for some titles. Pokemon Diamond, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and New Mario Bros were all well worth that asking price. There's another developer who thinks that because of the care they give the titles they should get more for the effort.

I think that's fair.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

Anyone notice how expensive the Ds games are getting? The big titles are going up to much. 'The World Ends With You' is 40 dollars retail price!? 10 more dollars and we'll be close to ps2 new releases...next!VegasAceVII

Is there a point to this thread, because I fail to see it. Are you that cheap that you can't afford DS Lite games?? If you can't buy it, then rent it. I am renting the World Ends with You right now, and at Blockbuster I only pay $20 a month to have one game out at any time for as long as I want to. Heck, I rented Ninja Gaiden, played most of it, and returned it 2 days later. That's like $1.50 to play it. Seriously, get a grip. You will not see cheaper games than what the DS offers, and they are all worth the price.

acidrain1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 acidrain1976
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
I don't have TWEWY yet, but I'm getting it no matter what it costs. $40 to purchase isn't bad when you consider it cost at least a million dollars to make and that's being VERY generous. I bet it cost a lot more than that.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="VegasAceVII"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Prices aren't going up

Jaysonguy

Because they feel they offer you a product that is worth that much. Square Enix has dedicated a substantial amount of time and money into making DS games and overall has been very good with the system.

You're making it sound like DS games shouldn't cost that much because it's "only" a handheld and that's an awful way to think about it. That thinking is why some devs never really utilize the DS because they don't want to waste so much effort on something that's "only" a handheld.

The World Ends With You is being talked about as a must play game this generation, not just this platform. That means that it contends with everything out today and most of the games it's contending with are a heck of a lot higher priced then 39.99.

Square has very good games that have a lot of care in every area. They're made to be stories that give you an all around best bang for your buck from art to story to being bug and glitch free.

Just like Nintendo charges 34.99 for some titles. Pokemon Diamond, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and New Mario Bros were all well worth that asking price. There's another developer who thinks that because of the care they give the titles they should get more for the effort.

I think that's fair.

Thank you. I was going to make a post like that but you saved me a lot of effort. It bothers me that some people don't understand why some games are worth more and deserve a slightly higher price than some others just because they're on the same platform and they are on a similar looking cartridge, and it bothers me even more than people think some games should cost less because they're on a handheld and not on a home console.

So don't buy The World Ends With You because it's $40 and buy my best friends pony brain ds diary and save a whole of $5!!! Or buy spongebob or barbie on your PS2 for a mere $5 more and be glad you got a console game instead of a mere handheld game.

Square-Enix haven't shown this much support and of such quality to a Nintendo platform since the days of the SNES. Satoru Iwata went to great lengths to rebuild this kind of relationship since Yamaouchi severed it so badly during the N64 and NGC eras (and we all know how well that went). Square-Enix deserve to be rewarded for the great work they put into DS games and $5 more for a great game that is as Jayesonguy put it a fully realised world/experience regardless of whether it's on a handheld is not a whole lot to ask for.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts

my first thought was: damn u only pay 40 dollars for ds games in usa???? stop whining and be happy u dont live in europe, u pay 60 american dollars for a new game where i live and we cant rent games in my country AND we gotta wait for last for releases, so be happy

as for the world ends with you all i can say is that its a brilliant game, well worth the price, its one of the best games i played in a long time allthough i havent finnished game yet so who knows...but damn

Dark_Eagle80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark_Eagle80
Member since 2005 • 3517 Posts

my first thought was: damn u only pay 40 dollars for ds games in usa???? stop whining and be happy u dont live in europe, u pay 60 american dollars for a new game where i live .....

metalkitten

True, but you have to factor the Cost of Living in Europe. Factor that some European countries have a minimum wage of about 7 Euros an hour (which factors to about $11 US), while the US minimum wage is only $6.55 an hour. Now say your a high school-er making 7 Euros in Europe working at McDonalds at the minimum wage rate an hour, compared to a US high school-er doing the same job in the US for $6.55 an hour. Now who's making more money? The high school-er in Europe makes about $4.55 US more than a US high school-er. So...if that high school-er from the US travels to Europe, he will have to pay a lot more of his income to buy a DS game there.

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
You pay for quality.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
[QUOTE="metalkitten"]

my first thought was: damn u only pay 40 dollars for ds games in usa???? stop whining and be happy u dont live in europe, u pay 60 american dollars for a new game where i live .....

Dark_Eagle80

True, but you have to factor the Cost of Living in Europe. Factor that some European countries have a minimum wage of about 7 Euros an hour (which factors to about $11 US), while the US minimum wage is only $6.55 an hour. Now say your a high school-er making 7 Euros in Europe working at McDonalds at the minimum wage rate an hour, compared to a US high school-er doing the same job in the US for $6.55 an hour. Now who's making more money? The high school-er in Europe makes about $4.55 US more than a US high school-er. So...if that high school-er from the US travels to Europe, he will have to pay a lot more of his income to buy a DS game there.

Never thought something so sophisticated could come from someone who watches Zack and Cody...

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VegasAceVII
[QUOTE="metalkitten"]

Dark_Eagle80

HILARIOUS!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i thought most games were 40 bucks... those r the release titles, wait more 7 months and ull get it cheaper.

BTW where i live i have to pay US$ 75,00 on a DS game >_> dont complain

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VegasAceVII

i thought most games were 40 bucks... those r the release titles, wait more 7 months and ull get it cheaper.

BTW where i live i have to pay US$ 75,00 on a DS game >_> dont complain

BrunoBRS

If you pay 75 bucks for a DS game....well nevermind, if I said what I wanted to say the mods would have a field day woth me.

omishboy4831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omishboy4831
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts
Yeah I am just anxiously waiting for the prices to suddenly drop. Square enix is a pretty good company so if you do shell out the money you are not going to be disappointed. And if you wait for it, it will be that much sweeter.
waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#20 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts
I'm sorry, but I really can't be sorry for you who have to pay 40 $ for a DS game. Do you know what the price is in Norway? We pay 500 NOK (more than 75 USD). Just get used to the thought that it is expensive to be a gamer.
Timotei123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Timotei123
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
*sighs* I hate money lol... I never have any and when I get it I have to spend it on living... grrr I WANT GAMES DAMMIT!
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

at the rate we're goin on square enix prices i wonder how much FFXIII will be the trailer looks amazing

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#23 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts
[QUOTE="metalkitten"]

Dark_Eagle80

Good point. If we calculate with those numbers, the gamer from US must work for 6 hours and 5 minutes to afford the game, and the european only have to work for 5 hours 27 minutes.

bad_carnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 bad_carnage
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

Let's see both ways: the customer and the seller

The customer: We think that it's really expensive for a handeld game, and somehow it is, because some games aren't worth the price they are, like TWEWY, because, well, it's good, but not that expensive should be (remember, from the customer point of view), and other games are really at a low price, like Spiderman 3, because has really good graphics and good gameplay, and it's just 20 dollars, and the people that buy videogames by it's own money (like me) know that even a dollar is the difference betwen buying it or not, but people that has so much money and don't care about that, will pay the price that is needed to buy the game they want, and because of that, some companys make videogames for ds more expensive than they should be, some others sell it at a low price for the game, it just varies.

The seller: The sellers (the companies), put their time, effort and money, and because of that, they want to sell a game at that price, but if you were them, wouldn't you sell your game that has a lot of popularity at a high price? because if you know that i will be selled at any cost, wouldn't you do it? Well, that's what you should think befor judging them so cruel, because a handheld game also needs work, and it's the same as other consoles for the TV. The only difference is that the games that they do is for a handeld game, but some games are launched for tons of consoles, like sega superstar tennis, they sell it at a neutral price to win money at any costs.

me: well. i hope you founded the answer to why the companies sell expensive games, and what i said in both ways is what i think, though, sometimes i can't buy a game because of the price, but there is a lot of time to save money and buy right? so don't get desperate to buy a game, there's a lot of time to buy, and nothing will happen if you wait.

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VegasAceVII

I'm sorry, but I really can't be sorry for you who have to pay 40 $ for a DS game. Do you know what the price is in Norway? We pay 500 NOK (more than 75 USD). Just get used to the thought that it is expensive to be a gamer.waZelda

LOL to that too

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VegasAceVII

at the rate we're goin on square enix prices i wonder how much FFXIII will be the trailer looks amazing

edwardorito

This is exactly the point of the thread. I'm getting a little freaked out that because they are a top tier dev, they will chagre us to oblivion!

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VegasAceVII

Let's see both ways: the customer and the seller

The customer: We think that it's really expensive for a handeld game, and somehow it is, because some games aren't worth the price they are, like TWEWY, because, well, it's good, but not that expensive should be (remember, from the customer point of view), and other games are really at a low price, like Spiderman 3, because has really good graphics and good gameplay, and it's just 20 dollars, and the people that buy videogames by it's own money (like me) know that even a dollar is the difference betwen buying it or not, but people that has so much money and don't care about that, will pay the price that is needed to buy the game they want, and because of that, some companys make videogames for ds more expensive than they should be, some others sell it at a low price for the game, it just varies.

The seller: The sellers (the companies), put their time, effort and money, and because of that, they want to sell a game at that price, but if you were them, wouldn't you sell your game that has a lot of popularity at a high price? because if you know that i will be selled at any cost, wouldn't you do it? Well, that's what you should think befor judging them so cruel, because a handheld game also needs work, and it's the same as other consoles for the TV. The only difference is that the games that they do is for a handeld game, but some games are launched for tons of consoles, like sega superstar tennis, they sell it at a neutral price to win money at any costs.

me: well. i hope you founded the answer to why the companies sell expensive games, and what i said in both ways is what i think, though, sometimes i can't buy a game because of the price, but there is a lot of time to save money and buy right? so don't get desperate to buy a game, there's a lot of time to buy, and nothing will happen if you wait.

bad_carnage

Even more people would buy the game is it was cheaper.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

edwardorito

What are you talking about with "at the rate we're going..."

These are the way the prices have always been. Square has two price points for their games and have always had two price points on the DS.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
In the UK the DS games are about the same difference in relation to console games as that, as standard...the relative difference in prices defeats all arguments about value of currency, the fact is the ratio is about the same.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts

The games are worth every penny, IMO.

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
[QUOTE="metalkitten"]

Dark_Eagle80

well as u urself said: SOME european countries, europe also got countries with very low pay and still same gameprices

and ur calculations ignored fact that atleast in my country we cant rent games, we need to buy them and that we need to wait months for games to come out in europe while u already have them in usa, so what is really the best deal?

Katafran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Katafran
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Eagle80"][QUOTE="metalkitten"]

metalkitten

well as u urself said: SOME european countries, europe also got countries with very low pay and still same gameprices

and ur calculations ignored fact that atleast in my country we cant rent games, we need to buy them and that we need to wait months for games to come out in europe while u already have them in usa, so what is really the best deal?

Moving to the USA. >=}

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Games that take up more memory = more money, because the DS Card has more memory.

Squares games are $40 because they are RPGs which need more space. Square has made non-rpg games for the DS that were $30.

juno_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 juno_22
Member since 2004 • 1161 Posts

Anyone notice how expensive the Ds games are getting? The big titles are going up to much. 'The World Ends With You' is 40 dollars retail price!? 10 more dollars and we'll be close to ps2 new releases...next!VegasAceVII

those are all SE titles and they are worth the $40 they put a lot of time into them so be thankful. if you cant afford it then dont buy it and if you really want em then get a better job. done!

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#35 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Square Enix just wants to fund the "tighten up t3h gr4ph1x" fund to make FF XIII as graphics-whore alluring as possible so that people would forget what a crappy game it will be at the end of it all. :P :lol:
osxgp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osxgp
Member since 2003 • 1006 Posts
Bottom line is greed. Not to mention Nintendo's growing arrogance. Besides, DS games couldn't cost that much to develop for.
flowerpedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flowerpedal
Member since 2006 • 570 Posts
the higher priced games are usually worth the price. i dont think prices of new ds games would ever be low...simply because people still buys them at high prices...theres no need to price them lower
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
When Square starts charging $40 for SNES ports like Front Mission than I have a bone to pick with them.
FunkyOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FunkyOrange
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

I'm sorry, but I really can't be sorry for you who have to pay 40 $ for a DS game. Do you know what the price is in Norway? We pay 500 NOK (more than 75 USD). Just get used to the thought that it is expensive to be a gamer.waZelda

importer fra USA da :P

shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

SE has always had higher prices for some of their games even back in the SNES days. Right now, you're complaining about 2 $40 games, FF12:RW and TWEWY both of which are pretty new. The price will go down eventually or you'll find them on sale. I picked up FFIII when target had an "All DS games for $25" sale. If they weren't worth the price, they wouldn't sell.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
It's been stated already, but your answer is that nothing is with the prices. They are the way they have always been, Squeenix games cost more.
-Flagg-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 -Flagg-
Member since 2005 • 426 Posts
Ds games in finland cost about 80 dollars (50 euros) so you should be happy.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

Bottom line is greed. Not to mention Nintendo's growing arrogance. Besides, DS games couldn't cost that much to develop for. osxgp

Whatever job you do in your life I want you to accept payment as long as it's just enough to get by.

If you're willing to do that you can complain as much as you'd like (though considering you wont be gaming since it's not a necessity I guess you wont know what's going on)

cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts

Ds games in finland cost about 80 dollars (50 euros) so you should be happy.-Flagg-

Yup, in South America they are pretty expensive too, although not as high as that... we're talking about 50 dollars each DS game...

skaterphilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 skaterphilip
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

40 dollars expensive?

i live in cyprus and game cost between 50-65 dollars. i wish games wer as cheep here

ds games are about the same as psp games

marchofthedogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 marchofthedogs
Member since 2008 • 192 Posts
In Aus new release DS games are around $60-$80. And older ones range anywhere from $20-$50.
obleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 obleon
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts
here in the Netherlands games are 40-45 euro for the ds and the euro is alot higher then the dollar soowww dont complain :P and games here never get any cheaper they yust almost all stay the same price till there are sold out:?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jaysonguy

Ok, everyone talking about how much a game is where they live? This conversation has nothing to do with that.

It's about a complaint that handheld games in the US (United States of America or USA for short) are sometimes close in price to their console counterparts.

It's not about someone being in an unfavorable region for gaming where prices are higher. Although as someone pointed out even in places where users DO pay more for handheld games they also pay more for console games (usually) so it all works out.

The US is a very good region for gaming, just because some users live in weaker areas of gaming does not mean that Americans are paying low prices. It means we're paying what the region dictates.

Darkjak95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Darkjak95
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
yea. this guys right