Whats happened to Sonic games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiiBoyTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WiiBoyTJ
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Sonic games have turned from decent to rubbish but why?

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Sega keeps rushing them and such. They try to reach imaginary deadlines and they seem to not like delaying games.

But Sonic games are still pretty good. The DS games are still great and Sonic and the Secret Rings is great, once you get some good skills to make Sonic run real fast.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
They added a third dimension which removed the whole speed platforming style of sonic. Sonic in 3d is slow and clunky.
Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#4 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts
SEGA says that the Sonic Unleashed game has been in development for 3 years. Hopefully, that won't turn out bad.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Lack of imagination, I suppose. But Sonic Unleashed looks actually pretty good.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
Sonic's only been good on the lately in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventures for the DS. Adding a third demention really did hurt the games, but Unleashed does look really cool. Sonic Chronicles looks even better, even though it's not a platformer.
Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nintendo_D00d
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
SEGA says that the Sonic Unleashed game has been in development for 3 years. Hopefully, that won't turn out bad.Super-Mario-Fan
:)
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Sonic has been doing great, I don't understand the question

You have Sonic Rings and Mario and Sonic on the Wii right now with Sonic unleashed coming up for the Wii

Then you have a ton of quality titles on the DS with the RPG coming soon on that platform

The Sonic franchise is doing great these days with quality games on both of Nintendo's platforms.

RockstarDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 RockstarDX
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts
Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.
Fick1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Fick1122
Member since 2006 • 2135 Posts

Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.RockstarDX

2? More like 8.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="RockstarDX"]Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.Fick1122

2? More like 8.

Those were last gen or before. I don't care what the Sonic franchise was doing back then.

All that matters is what Sonic is doing now this generation.

PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts
[QUOTE="Fick1122"]

[QUOTE="RockstarDX"]Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.Jaysonguy

2? More like 8.

Those were last gen or before. I don't care what the Sonic franchise was doing back then.

ok then... there was that horrible 360 game. and wasnt secret rings a flop?

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts
The addition of a third dimension is pretty much what made Sega stumble. In an attempt to develop a fleshed out world and an awkward notion of what makes a Sonic game, Sega ended up caving in on itself time and time again. Secret Rings was a step on the right direction. Dimps has been doing what they can on the handheld front, but the constant addition of characters most of us could care less about is no help at all. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik. Thats all you need for a good Sonic game, I believe the Genesis era proved that, as its the last time Sonic Team made a good Sonic game.
Avatar image for fairlanephantom
fairlanephantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fairlanephantom
I heard they're holding off to turn the series in a new direction. In the next game, Sonic runs.
waz-za

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 waz-za
Member since 2008 • 185 Posts
ye sonic games arent exacly gettin the best reviews l8ly ur probs only lyking em cos ur (MAYBE) die hard fans?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Fick1122"]

[QUOTE="RockstarDX"]Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.PeterPerson

2? More like 8.

We're in the Wii forum and Sonic Rings sold well and was well received not only by the reviewers but the buying public as well.

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Wii forum and Sonic Rings sold well and was well received not only by the reviewers but the buying public as well.

Jaysonguy

It was recieved ok most scores settled around the 7 range. Its by no means an excellent game, but it was certainly a step up. And Sonic games never sell great, but they do sell consistently.

DaCool2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaCool2008
Member since 2008 • 1633 Posts
sega is suppsedly putting the 2d,3d platformng together and the way its looking so far i like it. just hope they don't find a way of messing it up
PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PeterPerson
[QUOTE="PeterPerson"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Fick1122"]

[QUOTE="RockstarDX"]Sonic really seems to be doing great. Just because of two bad games, doesn't mean Sonic is automatically dieing.Jaysonguy

2? More like 8.

We're in the Wii forum and Sonic Rings sold well and was well received not only by the reviewers but the buying public as well.

you said "this generation"

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

PeterPerson

Yes, this generation on the Wii platform since we're in the Wii forum.

If we were in System Wars I'd bring up that Sonic is doing very well on Nintendo hardware (Wii and DS) and not so great elsewhere.

PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PeterPerson
[QUOTE="PeterPerson"]

Jaysonguy

Yes, this generation on the Wii platform since we're in the Wii forum.

If we were in System Wars I'd bring up that Sonic is doing very well on Nintendo hardware (Wii and DS) and not so great elsewhere.

ok :D

be more specific next time. :P

WiiBoyTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WiiBoyTJ

I've just got sonic riders zero gravity and its not annywhere near as good as earlier sonic games. The only decent sonic games are the ones paired with mario.

jtown465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jtown465

I've just got sonic riders zero gravity and its not annywhere near as good as earlier sonic games. The only decent sonic games are the ones paired with mario.

WiiBoyTJ

I beg to differ, the sonic rushes are great, and Secret rings while not an amazing game, is heading in the right direction. Its problem was Sega assumed we like doing missions (find X eggs, kill X enemies, don't hit a freakin pot!). If they had consentrated more on level design instead of making crappy missions, it could've been great. However the storyline was bad, actually terrrible, and it plagirized the Arabian Nights. Playing the first mission of each level where all you did was run and dodge, was fun, but short lived.

However, Sonic Unleashed seems to change all of that. Putting together the gameplay of Rush, with blips of on-rails. This heightens the action for killer camera angles, and can add more than just run real fast and hope something cool happens.

The were-hog idea might sound stupid at first, but it'll probably work in an ENTIRELY different way. (yes I know sega said it first) With their addition of melee combat, they might make it kinda like a hack-n-slash, but with werehog claws. And the graphics do look nice, and from what I've seen the enemy is simple: Robots, not GUN! not BLACK ALIENS, just simple good brand-new fashioned robots. From the looks of it Unleashed might not be bad.

Avatar image for Inubu-The-Panda
Inubu-The-Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Inubu-The-Panda

Really!?Wow,very impressive SEGA,3 years.Just a smack back to reality about how hard it really is to make a game.I have higher hopes for Sonic Unleashed than I did before.I really want that game to be great!No not great,amazing!

SonicSpeed1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SonicSpeed1

I have sonic adventure DX and Sonic adventure 2 battle on gamecube.

I just wish Sega could make games like those again.