What will it take for you to buy a Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sick_dope_rad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 sick_dope_rad
Member since 2009 • 118 Posts

So, of course, this is what's on everyone's mind about the Wii U. Will it be worth it? Or will it be another gimmick machine like the orignal Wii. I conviced my family we needed a Wii, because I was so convinced by Nintendo. What happened? Wii Sports was a blast for about 2 weeks. Wii sports was interesting for about a week. Super Mario Galaxy was awesome until I beat it. Then my mom started buying more lame gimmicky games (dancing and singing party games), they started adding on to the rediculous gimmicks (you had to have a motionplus adapter to play some games correctly, you had to have those stupid wheel adapters for Mario Kart, etc. etc.) and I, being a kid with limited income, and my parents getting more of the sytem, gave up on the Wii. I started spending my money on Xbox games, because it had a lot better online system and I could play with my friends.

Now, I'm more mature, and I have more interest in playing classic games that have withstood the test of time than repetitive online shooters. In other words, Xbox seems to be offering less and less for me. I would love to play all the Nintendo greats, but I also want more than that. I want to be able to play a few big blockbuster games like GTA V. I I don't want to own a system that will be so much weaker than it's competeitors that the only decent games are first party. So, it is a requirement for me that Wii U is stronger than the current gen, and, on top of that, I would really hope that it's strong enough to keep up for a while in the next Gen (it's possible, Xbox 360 is still keeping up with PS3 on third party games).

I'm going to need prove that the tablet concept is not a complete gimmick. I wanna see it used in a way that it actually adds a unique, fun experience on to the gameplay of not just some, but most games. And I'm always wanting to see a low price tag. Unless it's a lot more powerful than they're letting on, it's probably not much more technically advanced than the PS3 which you can get for $250, add on that tablet thing and I'm feeling $300.

If all these things happen and the stars align, then I will buy the Wii U at launch and hope I don't get burned by later on having to buy expensive add-ons and different controller variations to keep playing new games.

On a side note--- what are the main games you hope get made for this system as far as first party?

I'm still really praying one day NIntendo will come to their senses and make a real console Pokemon game. Same formula as the main handheld series (I wouldn't even mind if they started out using the exact same story/world/characters as Red/Blue) except with quality console graphics (including out of battle roaming that looks something like a modern open world game and battles where Pokemon actually move and you can see what their attacks really look like on each other) and now with a great online battling league. If Nintendo made this game on the Wii U, with gamepad being your PokeDex and all the other little electronics the character is given along the way, I wouldn't care at all if every other game on Wii U absolutely sucked. Heck I would buy a system if that was the only game on it. However, I'm also looking forward to playing the new iterations of all the other Nintendo series, especially a really good Donkey Kong game with beautiful jungle landscapes.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
A reasonable price (300 is the upper limit, 200-250 is the sweet spot) and no anti-consumer nonsense from the first party (read: Sony taking away my Linux, Online Pass, XBL Gold Fees, forcing developers to sell content they wanted to give out free, etc). Platinum Games, Retro, and Monolith Soft are all making games for the system and I've been waiting forever for Pikmin 3, so I'm not worried about having something to play. Just a matter of how much it costs and whether I will have to sell my soul to get one. I bought all the seventh generation machines (Wii, DS, PSP, PS3, 360, gaming PC, Android Phone, and even a Hyperscan) but Sony and Microsoft have officially lost my business. Nintendo is still in my good graces for the time being.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
$299.99 or less Smash Bros. Zelda HD (E3 2012 tech demo quality) Metroid Prime 4 SOLD.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I will buy it when it hits $250 because I am a complete and utter consumer whore. Well, maybe not 'complete' because I will not buy a WiiU at $300. But two fifty sounds reasonable given the games that have been announced and because I don't expect all that many spectacular uses for the WiiU controller screen - we'll see lots of maps and extra buttons and such, I'm sure.
Temesra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Temesra
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts
I sure hope Wii U do out this year or next year have much better hardware spects to run more realistic looking 3D games. I know it going take some time to catch up to playstation hardware spects.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
Under $400 Metroid 4 ZombiU Mario game Pikmin 3 New Smash Bros. Legit Madden..(means not watered down like on the Wii) Legit Black Ops 2...(same as above) RE6..(taking advantage of the WiiU tablet controller)
Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
My hook will be solid support and games, the hardware specs really don't factor for me when it comes to games.
needweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 needweed
Member since 2012 • 418 Posts
for it to be like the snes
Anima_Artista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Anima_Artista
Member since 2012 • 34 Posts
Nintendo to continue making games as wonderful as they always have, they're the only major saving grace the industry has right now. Though I won't buy one at least until the first major release, say, a hypothetical Mario 256 or something.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Well, if Pikmin 3 didn't already do it, a new Metroid probably would.. It always comes down to the games. If there's nothing interesting coming shortly after Pikmin, I might have to wait with the purchase, though. Retro Studios new game might have a big impact on how much I'll want the console. Hope it's Metroid.

Avatar image for superfalcon1234
superfalcon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superfalcon1234
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

a good price + a good internet service

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I'm already sold on the possibility of having a Metroid with current gen. graphics and the tablet, but I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if the console didn't manage to trump this generation's hardware. I don't even mind the Wii - as a matter of fact, it's my favorite console - but the Wii U had six years on top of the 360/PS3 to be developed.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Nothing. I will buy it regardless. The better question is...will I buy it immediately at launch? Probably not.

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

A price drop. Or two or three.

I can wait to own one.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#15 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The assurance that we will get good Nintendo software, which means I will buy it already. :D

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

3rd party support..price will determine whether I get it at launch or later..

New HD 2D Mario NSMBU game doesn't excite me..does not get my body moving. Gimme a new 3D Mario & my body will rock. :P

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Something as impressive as last year's Zelda demo.

I feel it has to go beyond current gen. It shouldn't be debateable, it should be undeniable. At this stage in the game PS3 and Xb360 can offer some pretty decent packages for the casual market, so Nintendo has to deliver something that shows it has more to offer than the gamepad.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Good first and third party support mainly and actual good uses of the tablet controller that don't feel tacked on.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
The same thing it takes for any hardware--games.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
You know what will make me buy the Wii U? If they confirm that you will be able to transfer EVERYTHING from the Wii, including saved data of online games like Mario Kart, Brawl or World of Goo.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
You know what will make me buy the Wii U? If they confirm that you will be able to transfer EVERYTHING from the Wii, including saved data of online games like Mario Kart, Brawl or World of Goo.Rod90
Online data is a hassle when transferring between the same hardware, so I wouldn't count on it.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

People need to stop using the term "gimmick" like it's a bad thing. Everything has a gimmick, it'd be stupid not to.

What will it take for me to buy a Wii U? A launch date.

huginmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 huginmark
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Although there are more popularity of Xbox and Play station gaming console I rather prefer to select Nintendo gaming console as it provide better gaming experience and wide variety of efficient games.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
price is the biggest factor for me really (i'm not paying over 300 for it), second is having a game that uses the controller well and third is actually showing me a game that can't be done graphically on one of the current gen. systems.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
smash bros full on 3d pokemon game
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I have always had a soft spot for the GOOD Nintendo consoles....SNES, Gamecube and 3DS! The Wii may have sold well, but lets be honest, the library was way too full of shovelware, crap games like Cooking Mama 21, Barbie Horserider 6 and so on. I am very excited about the possibilites of the WiiU and its new controller. From the sounds of things, the WiiU already has more 3rd party support than the Wii had. Nintendo doesnt have to reinvent the wheel here. They simply need to make sure the WiiU has a library equal to that of the Gamecube!
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Pikmin 3 is what Nintendo needed to do to make me go completely gaga over their new console... I'm alread planning on a day one buy

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
nothing, really. i know it's where the nintendo franchises will be at and, whatever the price unveiled, it'll be but a fraction of what it'll cost over here, so the first opportunity to buy at the US price i have (which are very sparse), i'll get it.
the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts

yeah price is the biggest factor for me, the main reason I got a Wii instead of the 360 or PS3 was that it was the cheapest

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts
more games that interest me. at the mo its just project 100 and pikmin 3. great looking games but, on their own, not enough to entice me. though if the price is right maybe i will take the plunge anyway. i will be pikcing up a wiiu....its just a question of when.
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
If its priced reasonably. I'd say 350 or less and it's a launch day purchase for me.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I will buy a Wii U, what I'll be deciding on is when(get it at/near launch or wait for price drop). I like Nintendo's 1st party stuff so I'll want one eventually but right now the early lineup doesn't have me convinced to get one at launch, especially not knowing price yet.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

Pokemon Wii U (I would buy it for this alone)

F-zero

A new mario that incorporates something new with the controller

Some kind of new ip

more new ip's

More games made by retro studios

eternal darkness 2

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

A price of $250 or less and some good rpgs that do not have the word "Tales" in their titles.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
SSB is all I need.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'll buy a WiiU eventually, regardless of weak hardware or a gimmicky controller. It's going to have the games I want to play, and when those games start releasing I'll pick one up.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

Any one of these things would probably make me buy a Wii U:

Good Price/Sale

Limited edition/Special Bundle

Games that I really want to play (first-party or third-party)

I don't think I'll be getting a Wii U at launch, but I know I'll get it eventually.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Lol i'll buy it as soon as the black one is out.