What happened to Spyro games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts
I remember one of the first games I got for playstation was Spyro: Year of the Dragon. it was one the best games i ever played. but look at all the games released in the past few years. they suck. what happened to the formula. i havent played any of the them. but anyone that has please tell me what happened. whats bad about them?
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

[QUOTE="RealKilla_789"]I remember one of the first games I got for playstation was Spyro: Year of the Dragon. it was one the best games i ever played. but look at all the games released in the past few years. they suck. what happened to the formula. i havent played any of the them. but anyone that has please tell me what happened. whats bad about them?XKing2

Paradox? Anyone?

im basing that they suck because of the gamespot reviews

xxxBravo_3xxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xxxBravo_3xxx
Member since 2006 • 469 Posts
yeah they should keep em like the first spyro, that was the best. and even the crash bandicoot games need a tune up like crash bandicoot 2
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

It's very simple. The originaly 3 Playstation Spyro games were made by the developer Insomniac. After the 3rd the rights to the game were sold to the publisher Vivendi Universal. Vivendi then hired a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rate developers to make new Spyro games and for the most part the results have been horrible. The main complaints now are the games are extremely easy, and in some cases the games are extremely choppy and are just difficult to play due to bad programming.

Spryo: A Hero's Tail wasn't that bad though. If you find it cheap I'd recommend picking it up. It's easy, (you have unlimited lives and there's no limit to the money you can find), but the gameplay is there and very reminecent of the original games.

ShadowCR21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 ShadowCR21
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts
Yeah, ever since Insomniac gave up on Spyro and started Ratchet and Clank, Spyro started to lose some popularity.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
If you played them while you were younger you will remember tham fondly, in truth they weren't that great people just had low standards because it was all new, if you had played Mario 64 then Spyro and Crash seemed primitive. I do miss the good old PS1 says sometimes though, if nothing else the games seemed to come so fast and seem so ground breaking.
nnfnnfnfnnfnnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 nnfnnfnfnnfnnf
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

I have to disagree with csliney. The PS spyro games are still fun to go back and play. The supercharge and gliding that was in those games was really unique and fun. I also liked searching around for every last collectible.

The newer spyro games sre much worse. I have A Heroes Tail and Enter the Dragonfly. A Heroes Tail is decent but Enter the Dragonfly is one of the worst games I've ever bought. It has one boss who you fight over and over. It has only about 8 or so levels and one homeworld. Its a big homeworld but no real secret areas or anything like in the PS games. And at least in a Heroes Tail there are unlimited gems (maybe in Enter the Dragonfly too). One of the most fun parts in Spyro was revisiting worlds to go and find the last few gems or dragon/egg/orb.

I haven't even played the newest two Spyro games because I read that they were more fighter than platformer. If you only have Year of the Dragon see if you can find the other two PS ones cheap somewhere. They are still fun.

OlimarMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OlimarMarth
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts
The first spyro was great now the series is kinda ruined. :(
icarus212001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 icarus212001
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
Like Crash Bandicoot,the spyro franchise was sold off to another developer by insomniac (in crash's case, by naughty dog). probelm is that they sold off the rights because they wanted to do something new with the ps2's grfx engine, and didn't want to rehash crash and spyro, which is what the new devs didn't realize (obviously because they wanted to cash in on it an well known series). Crash did better than spyro in the end, but by that time the series' have been tainted and eventually forgotten by the fans of yesteryear. sad, really, cuz i grew up with those 2 franchises (alongside Mario, of course).
gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
I own every single spyro (excluding handhelds) and while they arent as good as the amazing first 3, they arent as bad as the reviews say they are. Enter the dragonfly was quite short, had framerate problems, glitches(fun to play around with), and bad hit detection, but it didnt deserve a 2.8, maybe a 6. A heros tale was just as good if not better than the original playstation ones but the reviews didnt recognize that at all.9.0. A new beginning was trying a new approach and the story, voice acting, and graphics were all great, just a bit repetitive.7.0. The eternal night is ok, but compared to new beginning its too hard and has many unfair spots.5.0.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
spyro enternal darkness is the worst game in us history lol ,, i cant figureout where and what to do next , i agree the first 3 are great but 4-7 suck major
nnfnnfnfnnfnnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nnfnnfnfnnfnnf
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
No way Heroes Tale is anywhere near as good as the old PS games. The PS ones just had tons of wacky characters and bosses and with a Heroes Tale you never seemed to revisit areas often enough for them to become familiar which was a good deal of fun. But the dark gem thing in a Heroes Tale was a cool feature.
Cooleo1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cooleo1010
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
The Ripto's Rage (2nd) and Year of the Dragon(3rd) for the PS1 are still some of my favorite games.
But after that it went downhill....
On an off note though, are there any Wii Spyro games?
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

The first 3 games I adored and they were really good. Once Enter the Dragonfly came out, you knew something bad was happening. A Heroes Tale was ok. Really I just wanted to play as Hunter, but he had 2, albeit long, levels. The little minigames in Year of The Dragon with Hunter were more fun. If there was one thing I could have, it would be one last GOOD Spyro game.

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
i didn't even know people are still playing spyro games. i thought the franchise has gone down hill for the last couple years.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Well, the main reason is because the creator of the series, Insomniac, no longer devlops the Spyro the dragon games, now they are just developed by different companies and they don't do a very good job on them.
AndYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 AndYOU
Member since 2005 • 6712 Posts
Well, a new dev took over making the new games. Luckily, when I want to go back in time, I pop in the first Spyro game and play for memories
Ryder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Ryder123
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts
Ah, the PS1 days, I remeber playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.
KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts
Crash (2&3) and Spyro (1,2&3) are the best games on the PSone along with Tomba 2 IMO.
zxomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zxomega
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts
once they left ps they went bad
budweiserpett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 budweiserpett
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

same thing happened to me i got spyro the year of the dragon it was awsome then the games began to get crap

wii code 7485-0513-4948-3272 pm me if you add me and send yours

zxomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zxomega
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts
developers getting lazy >_>
kelseyxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 kelseyxo
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

sigh... i understand that there are different devs but i dont see why they cant just make them like the first three. They are trying to reinvent Spyro, but the end is result is crap. The GBAs were okay, but Enter the Dragonfly through Eternal Night suck. -_-. Heroe's Tale was okay but not anywhere near 1-3. I wonder if it's too late.

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
Almost all the series get worse as more and more consoles come out. Such as Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Sonic and much more. If they have bring back the old formula then maybe the game would be better than the first.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts

lets face sad truths, shall we?

Living platforming characters: Mario, Ratchet and Clank

Dead platforming characters: Spyro, Crash

Halfway dead platforming characters: Sonic

Spyro stopped being good when they made mediocre games, not great games

Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts

Like Crash Bandicoot,the spyro franchise was sold off to another developer by insomniac (in crash's case, by naughty dog). probelm is that they sold off the rights because they wanted to do something new with the ps2's grfx engine, and didn't want to rehash crash and spyro, which is what the new devs didn't realize (obviously because they wanted to cash in on it an well known series). Crash did better than spyro in the end, but by that time the series' have been tainted and eventually forgotten by the fans of yesteryear. sad, really, cuz i grew up with those 2 franchises (alongside Mario, of course).icarus212001

same here and thats what made me buy my first PS because of the crash and spyro games. but crash was my favourite PS mascot right next to mario and sonic. I even love their commercails both crash and spyro before there games been sold to another company. I can't believe ND and insomniac would really do something like that. not care about there fans and all they care about is money and moving on with differents franchises. if that PS2 graphics part what you just said is true , then that was the most stupid part on ND and insomniac. atleast nintendo still keep their mario and sega still keep their sonic but crash was imo the best mascot on sony PS. crash 1 2 3 and CTR were good games and same with spyro 1 2 but never got a chance to play the third one. but where are their games now? downhill , just thanks ND and insomniac for selling off your best franchise's away :roll:

Skychrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Skychrome
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
From about 2001-2003, I only played the first 3 Spyro games and Crash Bandicoot 3. The new Spyro games SUCK!!! Insomniac has to buy them back or the world will come to an end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
evildevil97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 evildevil97
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts
I find it best to just enjoy the PS1 games. Hero's Tail was decent, but it's pretty hopeless to hope for new games based on the style of the originals. It just won't happen.
Skychrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skychrome
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
Yeah, Hero's Tail was all right, but those new "Legend of Spyro" games are stupid.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

It's very simple. The originaly 3 Playstation Spyro games were made by the developer Insomniac. After the 3rd the rights to the game were sold to the publisher Vivendi Universal. Vivendi then hired a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rate developers to make new Spyro games and for the most part the results have been horrible. The main complaints now are the games are extremely easy, and in some cases the games are extremely choppy and are just difficult to play due to bad programming.

Spryo: A Hero's Tail wasn't that bad though. If you find it cheap I'd recommend picking it up. It's easy, (you have unlimited lives and there's no limit to the money you can find), but the gameplay is there and very reminecent of the original games.

Robio_basic
This basically sums up everything for the most part.
Marcster1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Marcster1994
Member since 2008 • 516 Posts

The only new Spyro game out right now that I think is ok is Dawn of the Dragon

Taco_Go_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Taco_Go_Fish
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey, am I the only one who cares about Sparx? He seems to have changed quite a bit. He doesn't seem to have a purpose when you have a health meter. Also, He learned to talk. HE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TALK.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

once they left ps they went badzxomega
Sounds like Rare when they left Nintendo.

On topic: TC:

sl

sl2

sl3

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNwyudD-Jw

Enjoy :)

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="zxomega"]once they left ps they went badnini200

Enjoy

Ofcourse, Spylanders didn't exist back in 2008.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]

[QUOTE="zxomega"]once they left ps they went badmeetroid8

Enjoy

Ofcourse, Spylanders didn't exist back in 2008.

sure didn't :P