What happened between Nintendo and Valve?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I know EA was battling Valve to get at Nintendo for the online infrastructure or whatnot. After EA and Nintendo split, it was like Valve just disappeared.

A partnership between the two could have been a MAJOR plus for Nintendo as Steam has the necessary 3rd party support that Nintendo needs. The WiiU could benefit tremendously from Steam. Especially considering that now they have Steam OS that's specifically for consoles.

Could be a channel to download on WiiU and all the operations could work through the channel.

Did Nintendo blow their opportunity with Valve or what happened?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i think that was all just rumours. nintendo were saying they were going to be very hands off with the whole online thing so that left companies like EA to put their own services on the wiiu.

i do remember a rumuor that the entire wiiu online system was going to work through Origin but i dont see how that could really work. it would essentially be nintendo handing over entire control of the wiius online system to EA. so i dont think that was ever really a runner.

as for valve it goes back to the same thing. also just because valve have the 3rd party connections for the PC side of things doesnt mean it would be a big boon to the wiiu. we see it on the linux and mac side of steam at the moment: only a small fraction of games available on steam works on those OSs. it would be the same with the wiiu, even worse perhaps since, as far as i know, the wiiu OS is completly custom built (i.e. not *nix or BSD based or anything).

so basically i dont think there was ever any serious discussions on the matter. it was just the media getting excitied about a rumour.

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 1

#3 GH05T-666
Member since 2010 • 1067 Posts

I cant see Nintendo and Valve working together..

It would be great if Nintendo could get Valve on there side but I highly doubt that will happen.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

you're taking made-up rumors as facts, and therein lies the problem. valve never had anything to do with nintendo :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
@nini200 said:

Especially considering that now they have Steam OS that's specifically for consoles.

Could be a channel to download on WiiU and all the operations could work through the channel.

Steam OS is for PCs, not consoles. It's actually meant to be in more direct competition with consoles than PCs currently are, so it wouldn't make much sense to offer Steam services on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It's an interesting prospect, but I just can't picture either scenario. I do think Nintendo could improve their online services a lot, but at the same time, I think they are perfectly capable of handling that on their own - they just need to try harder.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@BrunoBRS said:

you're taking made-up rumors as facts, and therein lies the problem. valve never had anything to do with nintendo :P

NUH UH >.<