Twilight Princess: Overrated or Underrated?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Brawl578
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Is Twilight Princess overrated or underrated? Or is it rated evenly?

Bruceisright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Bruceisright
Member since 2005 • 267 Posts

Over rated last gen game, with nothng special about it, stays stuck in the past with no voice acting and really looks poor when you consider they never really bother enhanching it in anyway.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts
Overrated, and the biggest flop in the whole series (Nintendo made wise).
Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

It's the same as every other Zelda game.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

Wow, I really loved Twilight Princess, and for me this was my second favorite Zelda game (OoT is the first one obviously :) ). In my opinion, the game deserved at least a 9.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
An overrated disappointment, but still a fairly solid game.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Solid game, strong technical achievements, but little to none of the stuff that makes Zelda as special as it should be, not to mention an awful marketing history that makes it taste even more bitter.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I guess I'd say its underrated considering all the haters on the internet. It's exactly what Zelda fans were asking for after OoT. Besides the pacing, It did everything better than OoT. I'd like someone to enlighten me about what made this game so bad. I see tons of people hating on it but I don't see many reasons.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]I guess I'd say its underrated considering all the haters on the internet. It's exactly what Zelda fans were asking for after OoT. Besides the pacing, It did everything better than OoT. I'd like someone to enlighten me about what made this game so bad. I see tons of people hating on it but I don't see many reasons.

I'm sure you've already asked it before and have long discussed it as well.
jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Its one of the few games where I honestly feel very few really appreciate it for what it is.

Half of the people wish it was as good as or better than Ocarina, the other half think its the best one yet. I refuse to assign myself to either group.

Its just another Zelda game, that alone gives it a stronger foundation than a plethora of other titles. It was solidly built, looked great, played even better, and is easily the best launch title this side of SMW.

TP was never competing with Ocarina. Ocarina was ecclipsed by Majora's Mask long ago, and MM was ecclipsed by Wind Waker.

Wind Waker is not a very easy game to follow up.

Frostbyte1120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Frostbyte1120
Member since 2003 • 17118 Posts

It was a good game late in gamecube's life, but I still never understood why it was ported to Wii. It controlled much better on GC and you could have played the GC version on Wii... it just seemed like a desperate move by Nintendo to generate more interest in the Wii's launch.

By today's standards and even at its time, I found the game to be overrated. It was a solid game and looked great (for GC), but it never pushed the Wii to do new things... it didn't even push gameplay boundaries on the GC. It seems at this point, until Nintendo realizes how dated the franchise is, each instalment is going to be stuck in the same cycle that only serves as fanfare and won't attract new attention.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

wintry_flutist hit the nail on the head.

Great game, but not up to par with the rest of the zelda series. It just didn't have that feel of being in a magic fantasy world like the other Zeldas I guess.

I think the gamespot review of it was very accurate.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I....wanted a game similiar to Ocarina, but expected more from it as well. Yes, it did do everything that OoT did, but better. But other than controls, gfx, and being bigger....it failed imo at the same time.

Hyrule was a barren wasteland

Barely any interaction between characters

pointless items that only had use for a specific dungeon

pathetically easy

etc.

OoT had tons going for it, and TP (Nintendo) couldn't pull it off. You can't really blame them when they have to create something better than OoT, because that's a difficult task to do. But I still expected more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I thought the game was pretty much rated evenly. It sold okay, it didn't sell quite as well as Nintendo imagined it would, but it wasn't a total flop. You don't really hear much about Twilight Princess anymore, it isn't as nostalgic and memorable as Ocarina of Time was, but it is still the latest game in the series. It isn't as bad as Phantom Hourglass was and Spirit Tracks probably will be, and it was a lot better than Minish Cap and the Four Swords games, but not as good as Link's Awakening and the Oracle games. It's actually probably one of the more average Zelda games out there.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

I guess I'd say its underrated considering all the haters on the internet. It's exactly what Zelda fans were asking for after OoT. Besides the pacing, It did everything better than OoT. Rocky32189

Agreed. imo it's the second best game in the series, after Majoras Mask.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#16 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
It was a good game, but very overrated. The adventuring was mediocre, the overworld was very sloppy (too big and empty, and hard to get from place to place), the story bad in comparison to most Zeldas, the bosses far too easy, and the ending layed an egg compared to OoT and WW.
Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Brawl578

I really don't understand it when people say TP's story sucked. It was the first Zelda story to actually involve the partners (Midna) life as a very important factor in the story.

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brawl578

Overrated, and the biggest flop in the whole series (Nintendo made wise).nintendoboy16

So Zelda II wasn't?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Overrated, and the biggest flop in the whole series (Nintendo made wise).Brawl578

So Zelda II wasn't?

I actually kind of like Zelda 2. I mean, it is definately not the best one, but it had good artwork and a nice setting, and the story surrounding the game was original. Plus it tried some new things no other Zelda game has tried since.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Severely underrated. The old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" has never been more true than with Twilight Princess. It basically takes the formula of Ocarina of time and improves upon it by miles. Better gameplay all round. Better dungeons, better design, better controls, better combat, a bigger and more interesting world, its much longer and has way more fun things to do outside of the main story. Plus it's better in the less important ways such as the graphics and storyline. It's just better in every single way. That's what I want from a sequel.

Far too often I've seen sequels stray away from a winning formula in an attempt to try something new, only to fail miserably. Twilight Princess is the perfect sequel. It sticks to a winning formula but makes necessary changes and improvements to make sure it's not just a rehash. It's my second favourite game of all time, behind Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. San Andreas is an example of another fantastic sequel. It sticks to the winning formula but makes enough changes and improvements to make it a fantastic sequel. Look what happened when Rockstar tried to fix what wasn't broken by going the realism route with GTA IV. The fans were not happy.

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brawl578

[QUOTE="Brawl578"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Overrated, and the biggest flop in the whole series (Nintendo made wise).Ovirew

So Zelda II wasn't?

I actually kind of like Zelda 2. I mean, it is definately not the best one, but it had good artwork and a nice setting, and the story surrounding the game was original. Plus it tried some new things no other Zelda game has tried since.

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brawl578

[QUOTE="Brawl578"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Overrated, and the biggest flop in the whole series (Nintendo made wise).Ovirew

So Zelda II wasn't?

Don't get me wrong, I liked it too, but it just wasn't Zelda.

Brawl578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brawl578

Twilight Princess is cool.

aerial6790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aerial6790
Member since 2008 • 1229 Posts
Same stuff as other Zeldas. Overated.
Stephleref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stephleref
Member since 2009 • 301 Posts

Very Underrated.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
It's a over hyped underrated game.
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

Evenly rated, as there are various people promoting both extremes. I'd say it's and 8.5, which is great. Not one of the best Zeldas, but solid fun nonetheless.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

I don't see how it's overrated when everyone and their mom thinks it's overrated. When everyone thinks a great game is overrated it becomes underrated and that's what's become of TP. Twilight Princess is the best Zelda in my opinion. Granted, I haven't played any of the handheld games or the original so my knowledge is narrower than some others but I've played enough Zelda to know a good one from a bad one. TP is a perfection of the Ocarina model and I understand that some are bored of that model but I doesn't make Twilight Princess worse than other Zeldas and it certainly doesn't make it bad or overrated.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Underrated. It's one of the greatest Zelda games (not better than WW or MM, but better than OoT).
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i loved it. in the end, that's all that matters
Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#31 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

i loved it. in the end, that's all that mattersfunsohng

Woohoo! I've only played Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess, but to me, TP was awesome! Everything I expected Zelda to be. Probably one of my top 3 games for the Wii, along with Galaxy and SSBB.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Underrated, talk quickly disappeared after a few months the game was out.
DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I guess I'd say its underrated considering all the haters on the internet. It's exactly what Zelda fans were asking for after OoT. Besides the pacing, It did everything better than OoT. Rocky32189

I agree.

webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

Underrated. The game really did wow me. I also really like the wii controls (especially regarding the arrow/boomerang).

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

It's a great game but the 9's and 10's it was getting at it's release were a little crazy. It was mainly due to hype on the new Wii system and the fact that it was a brand new Zelda game.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
Overrated. It's the same old stuff, and nothing new.... and Midna is annoying.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I gave it a 10/10 when I first finished playing it, and now as I play through it a second time... I'd still give it a 10/10. :P

I don't get all the hate it receives.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

In terms of reviews its overrated, my least favorite 3D Zelda. Just didn't wow me like the other Zeldas did.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Solid game, strong technical achievements, but little to none of the stuff that makes Zelda as special as it should be, not to mention an awful marketing history that makes it taste even more bitter.

Wintry_Flutist

Yup, agreed. It was solid, but Zelda can be much more than what TP was.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#41 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

I think this game is underrated. Maybe not in general but by many Zelda fans. I think a lot of it stems from the war between WW fans and TP fans. TP was made to look more realistic so its judged more for its appearances and game play. WW has the advantage with Toon Link. When you make a game so cartoon like you have more of a freedom with appearance and how Link will work meaning how he moves, shows emotions, etc. TP is an impressive game but I think people judge the game more from a 'well this is how the real world looks, this is how hyrule should' kind of attitude. I think both games are great in their own design and its unfair to compare apples and oranges

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

underrated, they should give this game at least 9.5!

shadowlink797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shadowlink797
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts

It was a good game, unfortunately it had a huge amount of hype before it was released. Too much hype for any game to live up too. In the end I found it to be a good title, but not the ultimate Zelda game that the hype had led me to believe. Hopefully the next title will go in a different direction and use the Wii to its maximum capabilities.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
I absolutely love Twilight Princess, it has everything I'd ever want in a Zelda game. I enjoyed every minute of it. How anyone could not enjoy it is beyond me. Your standards must be incredibly high. I don't really care how the game is rated, I personally had a blast playing it, that's all that matters.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

I thought it was a good game. Not great but a good game.It just felt stail to me though, as strange is it sounds i rate it higher as a GC game than a wii game. I just expected more from a current gen zelda game. of course in truth all it was was a gamecube game with tacked on wii controls. Of course all the wii is is a gamecube with tacked on wii controls lol :p j/k

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts
i think the gamespot score was perfectly fine and the complaint that it didnt do anything new was perfectly valid imho. however i voted underrated as i see many people claiming that its basically a broken piece of fundimentally flawed crap. its nothing of the sort...its still a dam fine game. at the end of the day it doesent do anything wrong. the dungeons were enjoyable and it was a good adventure. not the best in the series but by absolutely no means the worst. if u want to play the worst (by ninty anyway) then pay zelda 2...now theres a broken mess of a game.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Overrated by some, underrated by others...I generally think its about right. Its definitely not the greatest Zelda but it was great for a one time play with some epic moments in it. The game just felt pointless though, apart from the main story the side quests were pointless, rupees have never been so useless, magic armor is hardly great, no third sword, a lot of empty land, not many "new" items....game didn't feel like it was completely finished to be honest, but as I said it was great first time playthrough.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

I gave it a 10/10 when I first finished playing it, and now as I play through it a second time... I'd still give it a 10/10. :P

I don't get all the hate it receives.

GabuEx

^agreed

lordoflol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lordoflol
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts

I like it. Story was ok, graphics good (GC version), controls ok (I didnt leke the wii ones Links sword should have been in his left hand), Dialog maybe the npc`s should have speach but meh. I would say its O.K not the worst not the best, but good (Kinda liked Windwaker better)

parmesanhorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 parmesanhorn
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

that's a good yet tough one ... I've been thinking about how good this actually is for quite some time. And while I'm convinced it's a great game, I'm just not quite sure whether every great game makes for a worthy Zelda

I first played it on Wii. I'll never forget when I saw that nice fairy-style pointer and thought like "wow, finally I can control Navi". But then again, that damn pointer was only there to fool me. And it really set the tone for what was to come: A game obviously designed for another console.

Second time I played it, it was on GC through a friend of mine. The nice thing, by the way, was that it's mirrored vertically, which totally blew my orientation. It was almost like I hadn't played it before. The GC version was, IMO, noticably better than the Wii built, especially control-wise. So blame Nintendo for delaying this great experience just to release a half-assed port for their new console, but be all happy you finally played the game the way it's supposed to be? Mostly, yes

I really liked how they softened that clear distinction "overworld - dungeon". I mean, most of those dungeons where dungeons gameplay-wise, but not ... I don't know, let's call it story-wise. To make that clearer: the house Big Foot and his wife live in ain't a dungeon, it's a house. At the same time, at least the first few where just to easy for fans of the series (You knew all the way what you had to do.)

I also enjoyed playing as a Wolf, although, if I remember correctly, the reasoning behind you being able to switch forms as you wish later in the game was just contradicting rubbish (ok, rubbish reasoning don't make any game bad). At the same time, I would have loved to see interacting with other animals a more important aspect of the game. It felt like a great idea that never quite got beyond the state of an idea. The same is true with the smell thing.

Finally, I thought TP had a way to large arsenal of items. The problem with that was that with some puzzles, I really felt like you should be able to solve em with varous items, but in fact, only one worked - oddly enough. For example, that big ball-flail thin would have been useless had the game had a physics-engine worth the name.

All in all, I don't see why anybody would rate this higher than The Wind Waker (which would have been better than OoT so easily if not for the repeating sections at the end), but I do see it as an awesome gaming experience if compared to games as such, not only Zelda games. I've seen reviews that overrated it, I've seen reviews that underrated it, so I'm guessing it's pretty evenly rated on average