The Wii's graphical capabilities

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJgummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 DJgummy
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

I got a wii for Christmas and was wondering what it's technical graphical capabilities are. I completely missed out on all last generation's counsels so I don't have much to compare to. I would appreciate learning the systems max polygon/second count, prossesing power, etc. Also, how much is it better than the GC and PS2?

I love the system regardless but was just wondering about this.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts
It's 480p. I don't know if that's pixels or polygons or whatever. Just play Super Mario Galaxy and you'll basically know the capabilities as of now.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but it is reportedly at the very least twice as powerful as the original xbox, and can very efficiently render polygons and physics when compared to last gen.
lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts

lets just say twice as power than Gc, the polygonsnumbers i dont know but dont expect near realistic graphics just enjoy the system like every gamer should and not worryabout the specs

ApeOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 147

#5 ApeOverlord
Member since 2005 • 1308 Posts

What it lacks in graphics, it makes up for with artwork. Play Galaxy and Twilight Princess and then you'll know.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Wikipedia seems to have the best stats on it, but then again, it is Wikipedia.

It seems to be about 1.5 times as strong as the GC, 3 times as strong as the PS2, and slightly stronger than the original Xbox.

yonaswii08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 yonaswii08
Member since 2007 • 796 Posts

It seems to be about 1.5 times as strong as the GC, 3 times as strong as the PS2, and slightly stronger than the original Xbox.

metroidfood

no not true.

msharma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 msharma
Member since 2005 • 1858 Posts

metroidfood

ps2's stronger than gc lol

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

msharma

Wrong. Try again.

Bobert66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bobert66
Member since 2007 • 224 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

msharma

i know for sure thats not true, PS2 came out before the Gamecube did and the gamecube had ibm's gecko or something processor which is much better than what PS2 had
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

msharma

lol, no it is not. Why do people think that?

Its the sameway with the N64/PS1...

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="msharma"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

BubbyJello

Yeah I remember someone saying the PS2 was more powerful cause it could play DVD's. I know the PS2 has about a 300mhz processor and the GC has about a 450mhz processor and the wii has a 729mhz processor. Of course there are many important other components such as ram and gpu, but that gives you some basis I guess.

mgelineau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mgelineau
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
the gamecube had better graphics then the ps2
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
graphics are not as important as gameplay. so i dont care much about the graphics. why do you think the ps3 has alot of crappy games, they spend to much time on graphics instead of gameplay.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

the gamecube had better graphics then the ps2mgelineau

the gamecube had brighter graphics, im not sure about better thought.

demio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 demio123
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

graphics are not as important as gameplay. so i dont care much about the graphics. why do you think the ps3 has alot of crappy games, they spend to much time on graphics instead of gameplay.

sman3579

I agree, i don't see what the hype is about graphics etc. I would go for gameplay over graphics any day. you need a mix of both to make an awesome game.

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

msharma

Not even close! ROFL :lol:

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but it is reportedly at the very least twice as powerful as the original xbox, and can very efficiently render polygons and physics when compared to last gen.Sparticus247
wow the way you said that made the wii sound epic
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts
Whoever says play Galaxy and you'll see are wrong. It's an early game into the system, we haven;t even begun to see what the Wii can do.
ugotplayed64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ugotplayed64
Member since 2003 • 382 Posts

msharma

actually no its not the gamecube is stronger than the ps2 and the xbox is the strongest. check the facts next time

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

It's slightly more powerful than Xbox. But Wii doesn't have shaders like Xbox 1, and Xbox was capable of pulling off 720p. I raw power, Wii is better, but Xbox 1 excells it in a couple of areas.

A good comparison with Mario Galaxy vs Conker Live and Reloaded. They're pretty much identitical in quality.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

msharma

lol NO! you can go to any review on the PS2 version of RE4 and when the critic compares it to the GC version they will say that the graphics aren't as good as the gc version. but there is irony here, despite the fact the PS2 had the lowest power out of the 3 consoles, it was most successful....

DrAlex200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DrAlex200
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
it doesnt have to be about the specs of the system... just how you use it and how much fun you have with it :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I don't believe Nintendo ever released the official specs,but it is well-known that the Wii is more powerful (if slightly) than the original Xbox.Unfortunately,most developers haven't shown exactly what the Wii can do graphically.As evident by Super Mario Galaxy,the Wii can produce some fantastic looking games,and it's up to the developers to show us what else the Wii can do,graphically.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

I got a wii for Christmas and was wondering what it's technical graphical capabilities are. I completely missed out on all last generation's counsels so I don't have much to compare to. I would appreciate learning the systems max polygon/second count, prossesing power, etc. Also, how much is it better than the GC and PS2?

I love the system regardless but was just wondering about this.

DJgummy

It's pretty much an xbox but a little bit weaker. But just a little.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

Whoever says play Galaxy and you'll see are wrong. It's an early game into the system, we haven;t even begun to see what the Wii can do.jjr10

No we've pretty much seen what the Wii can so now >_> considering its relatively low graphics capabilities when compared to the 360, PS3 and any decent gaming PC. Super Mario Galaxy looks as good as some 360 titles and seems to be stretching the Wii pretty much as far as it will go, which is a shame considering how early it is into its lifespan.

Cablestein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Cablestein
Member since 2004 • 405 Posts

"But Wii doesn't have shaders like Xbox 1, and Xbox was capable of pulling off 720p."

Maybe you should say something like "The Wii doesn't seem to be capable of producing texture/material/surface effects like the original Xbox".

Who knows if the Wii has components actually called "shaders" at all, and why does it matter, since these effects could be generated by the CPU. Regardless, the Wii probably does have "shaders" aka some-kind-of-common-set-of-graphic-effects-components because of the ATI GPU technology (or was it nVidia?).

Speaking of shaders on the Wii...

In Mario Galaxy I saw many instances of a fur shader. Bee mario for instance, some particular enemies too. If you can get the camer close enough you can see some great real time fuzzyness.

Also, you get various shiny/reflection type shaders everywhere. Also lots of glowing things, isn't there?

One obvious thing that seems to be missing across Wii games is BUMP MAPPING. Maybe it's there but it's too subtle to notice. Maybe the system isn't capable of it and takes too much of a performance hit. Maybe the developers so far haven't seen a need for it, i.e. it doesn't add anything to their particular game.

12345yon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 12345yon
Member since 2007 • 1073 Posts

im going to resume something found on the internet

CPU

the wii uses a Broadway chip, a derivated of the "PowerPC 750 CL clocked at 729Mhz", better than the Gecko chip of GC cloaked at 485Mhz, broadway is connected to main memory by a 64-bit bus clocked at 243Mhz, resulting in a 1.9GB/s of memory bandwidth. It contains two separate eight-way associative L1 caches, one for instructions and one for data, as well as a 256KB two-way associative L2 cache

GPU

Hollywood, the Wii's GPU,i t is based on the GameCube's GPU, Flipper, and has no notable increases in programmability. However, it is clocked 50 percent higher (243Mhz versus 162Mhz). Most of the chip remains unchanged; for example, it still sports the same 3.1MB of embedded memory, distributed into separate pools for the frame buffer and textures.Like in the GameCube, It is possible to emulate some pixel shaders by using "texture environment stages (TEVs)." While some have reported that the Wii is capable of sixteen TEVs compared to the GameCube's eight, making it easier to program, tihs is not the case.

Memory in the Wii is divided into two separate pools, both of which can be directly addressed by both the GPU and CPU. This is a minor improvement over the GameCube, which had an auxiliary 16MB pool that could not be directly accessed by the CPU. The first memory pool is a 24MB 1T-SRAM chip, clocked at 486Mhz and with a reported bandwidth of 3.9GB/s. The second memory pool is a 64MB Samsung GDDR3 module, clocked at 500Mhz and with a bandwidth of about 4GB/s.

To summarize, while the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are both at least an order of magnitude faster than their predecessors, the Wii has the processing power of one-and-a-half GameCubes with no noteworthy increases in functionality. This was done for two reasons: backwards compatibility with the GameCube and, more importantly, the very low cost

i just copy paste, to the people who want to know better it

okay, now what i think:

the videogames need to great things:

graphics and gameplay

as you can see, the wii is more like a gamecube, but better.The thing is that nintendo make a console trying to make this two things so people can enjoy the game, not like making a game with great graphics but with a broken gameplay (example: lair, man that game sux :evil: )

but now people seems to like better graphics and make poor games like LAIR.

the wii doesnt have the power as an XBOX, is like almost an XBOX but no.

For example, is like playing a game that needs 1gb of ram in a computer with 750mb of ram, it can, but not as good as 1gb

and yes, the wii has the worst graphics of the 3d gen console, but i like it

:D :D :D :D

( i hope they make a better console for the 4th gen)

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
It's 480p. I don't know if that's pixels or polygons or whatever. Just play Super Mario Galaxy and you'll basically know the capabilities as of now.Arkthemaniac
Pixels.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DivergeUnify

"But Wii doesn't have shaders like Xbox 1, and Xbox was capable of pulling off 720p."

Maybe you should say something like "The Wii doesn't seem to be capable of producing texture/material/surface effects like the original Xbox".

Who knows if the Wii has components actually called "shaders" at all, and why does it matter, since these effects could be generated by the CPU. Regardless, the Wii probably does have "shaders" aka some-kind-of-common-set-of-graphic-effects-components because of the ATI GPU technology (or was it nVidia?).

Speaking of shaders on the Wii...

In Mario Galaxy I saw many instances of a fur shader. Bee mario for instance, some particular enemies too. If you can get the camer close enough you can see some great real time fuzzyness.

Also, you get various shiny/reflection type shaders everywhere. Also lots of glowing things, isn't there?

One obvious thing that seems to be missing across Wii games is BUMP MAPPING. Maybe it's there but it's too subtle to notice. Maybe the system isn't capable of it and takes too much of a performance hit. Maybe the developers so far haven't seen a need for it, i.e. it doesn't add anything to their particular game.

Cablestein
Super Mario Galaxy was actually hailed for it having bump mapping a few months ago
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
WTF are people thinking!! The Gamecube has better graphics and power than the PS2..WRONG!!! Think again. Ps2 is in the top whan it comes to Last-Gen!! The WII also is less powerful than the XBOX 360 AND PS3 COMBINED!! Do your reseach before posting;)
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DivergeUnify
WTF are people thinking!! The Gamecube has better graphics and power than the PS2..WRONG!!! Think again. Ps2 is in the top whan it comes to Last-Gen!! The WII also is less powerful than the XBOX 360 AND PS3 COMBINED!! Do your reseach before posting;)pspdseagle
WTF are you talking about? PS2 had the worst graphics last gen with Xbox having the best and Gamecube having second best
nazkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nazkull
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Fact

GameCube is stronger than the PS2. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamecube) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2)

Xbox is stronger than the GameCube. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox)

Wii is a little bit stronger than the original Xbox. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii)

Xbox = 733 MHz

Wii = 729 MHz

PS2 = 300 MHz

GC = 485 MHz

The Wii is just a little bit slower but in the overall specs, the wii is more powerfull than the original Xbox. Look by yourself if you dont trust me, the links are above.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DivergeUnify

Fact

GameCube is stronger than the PS2.

Xbox is stronger than the GameCube.

Wii is a little bit stronger than the original Xbox.

Wii = 729 MHz

PS2 = 300 MHz

GC = 485 MHz

nazkull
You are right, but clockspeeds usually don't mean too much
Steel_Rain777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 Steel_Rain777
Member since 2007 • 1776 Posts

The WII also is less powerful than the XBOX 360 AND PS3 COMBINED!! Do your reseach before posting;)pspdseagle

I had to read this sentence a few times to understand it. Now I do...I understand now that you are an idiot. Seeing as how the Wii is the weakest( as in graphics, processing power, etc) of the three currently, the above statment is just retarded. Anyway, even though it's the weakest the System can still push out some pretty solid visuals. Look at Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, as well the upcoming Brawl, they look sweet.Plus we still don't know what games will look like later this year on the wii, seeing as these are it's early titles.

Anunnaki_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Anunnaki_XII
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

I don't buy a system for the performance, I buy one for the games. When the Wii came out, I saw the potential for some great games that could not be made on any other platform. So far, only a few have been made, but I expect great things for the Wii in the future. It is silly to compare system specs, it is pointless. Games are all that matters.

scorpionldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 scorpionldr
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts
[QUOTE="msharma"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

BubbyJello

lol because sony fans want to believe sony is TEH KING!! and think because there are more violent games or whatever released on the system that it must be because the ps2 had more ability to produce that type of game than gc. which is not the case, although there are a few gory titles on the system nintendo's been a family brand that mostly cares about producing family entertainment and making entertainment family can enjoy relating to the mario (and recently joined sonic) universe and friends

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

the grafics are slowly beig discovered, the max of what the wii can pull out of its ass aren't even realised yet.

i don't know spesifics, but as of now, super mario galaxy with HD componinte cables is the best on the wii.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Marth6781
Member since 2007 • 2564 Posts

It's slightly more powerful than Xbox. But Wii doesn't have shaders like Xbox 1, and Xbox was capable of pulling off 720p. I raw power, Wii is better, but Xbox 1 excells it in a couple of areas.

A good comparison with Mario Galaxy vs Conker Live and Reloaded. They're pretty much identitical in quality.

Optusnet

no they arent.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Marth6781
Member since 2007 • 2564 Posts

Fact

GameCube is stronger than the PS2. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamecube) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2)

Wii is a little bit stronger than the original Xbox. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii)

Xbox = 733 MHz

Wii = 729 MHz

PS2 = 300 MHz

GC = 485 MHz

The Wii is just a little bit slower but in the overall specs, the wii is more powerfull than the original Xbox. Look by yourself if you dont trust me, the links are above.

nazkull

wii is still faster, the numbers dont tell all.

jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts
ive heard its around twice the power of the xbox 1, and considering they never came close to utilising thexbox 1s potential the wii is pretty for what it is.
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

The wii is better than last gen systems by far. Not only does it have higher specs but it uses current technology and thus for can do much better things than the older systems could do with the same specs(in normal words, it could make a nes play snes games)

and also, just look at brawl and endless ocean. They run at 60 fps. Meaning that if they really needed too they could half the fps,doubling the amount of detail......meaning brawl isn't even close to half of what the wii can do.....

aznpr1d34eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aznpr1d34eva
Member since 2006 • 132 Posts

WTF are people thinking!! The Gamecube has better graphics and power than the PS2..WRONG!!! Think again. Ps2 is in the top whan it comes to Last-Gen!! The WII also is less powerful than the XBOX 360 AND PS3 COMBINED!! Do your reseach before posting;)pspdseagle

from your logic, since wii is top this gen, then it must b the strongest?

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
People should neer ask this question about any system, but especially Wii. The Wii doesn't even pretend to focus on graphics.
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

metroidfood

If you read Wikipedia can you also see that the specs aren't confirmed by Nintendo...

[QUOTE="nazkull"]

Fact

Xbox = 733 MHz

Wii = 729 MHz

PS2 = 300 MHz

GC = 485 MHz

Marth6781

wii is still faster, the numbers dont tell all.

Yes, Wii's 729MHz (nothing confirmed) PowerPC is more efficient/powerful than the 733MHz Celeron in the Xbox. However Wii's GPU is inferior since it lacks some shading capabilities compared to the tweaked GF3 in the Xbox.
Only noobs look at the clockfrequencies only. It's only one of many criterias to set a processors performance, however it seems to be the only thing the avarage person somewhat can understand.

Final: No specs are confirmed by Nintendo which can be seen at Wikipedia if you know how to read.
From Wiki:†None of the clock rates have been confirmed by Nintendo, IBM or ATI.

felipegarro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 felipegarro
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts
hey if u wish to know the graphic difference of the GC compared with the wii then watch super smash bros brawl trailer, at the start we can see how the characters come in to the screen, they have the graphics of melee, and suddenly they become with the graphics of the wii and i noted a great diference on mario and link
felipegarro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 felipegarro
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts
and by the way, dont believe what they sayd on other sites, one day i readed "the PS2 is way to much powerfull than the wii, buy the PS2, its better
nazkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nazkull
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I only compared the clockrate speed because it would be much longer if I compared every stats but overall , the Nintendo Wii is a little more powerfull than the original Xbox. The frequency of a processor is only one of the things that you can compare. It doesn`t mean that I compared only the speed that I'm a noob.