The Wii is a next gen console right?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 JMart0492
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

... Because in June's GameInformer it talked about this new game, The Last Remnant, which is a new RPG that is being developed by Square Enix and just looks and sounds amazing. In the issue it said the game won't be released until mid 2008 and will be on all next gen consoles. This got me very excited.

So, i came on Gamespot to see if they had any other info about the game and they, and a few other websites I looked up, said the game will be released on only the PS3 and Xbox360? Hmmm?

Any explanation from anyone who knows about this would be greatly appreciated.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lobster_Ear
Member since 2005 • 5428 Posts
The Wii is a "new" gen console, not a next gen.
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts
Yes it is.
JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JMart0492

Yes it is.the_leet_kid

Yeah, because on Gamespots home page there's a sweepstakes to win all 3 next gen consoles. So, what, maybe a typo from GameInformer? Err.

Battlestar3DVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Battlestar3DVD
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Of course its next-gen.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Well no, it's not "next gen". It's current gen, just like the PS3 and 360. (GCN, PS2, and original Xbox are last gen now)
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Most people consider the ''next gen consoles'' as those that took a big hardware leap.
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

Most people consider the ''next gen consoles'' as those that took a big hardware leap.tomarlyn

If that's even a true statistic (which I doubt), most people are wrong. Not to mention that the wii did take a big hardware leap, considering that a controller is hardware.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Most people consider the ''next gen consoles'' as those that took a big hardware leap.the_leet_kid

If that's even a true statistic (which I doubt), most people are wrong. Not to mention that the wii did take a big hardware leap, considering that a controller is hardware.

I'm not talking about the controller but system capabilities (gaming related capabilities not the interface) and how would they be wrong? I say this as a Wii owner myself, it goes in a different direction.

greenneil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 greenneil4
Member since 2005 • 2041 Posts
The xbox 360 and ps3 both have more processing power so maybe that is what gameinformer meant.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11943 Posts
Yes it is.  Everytime a new console comes out from a particular company it is the "next generation" of hardware.
socomgta3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 socomgta3
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it  no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terrible
socomgta3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 socomgta3
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
plus the wii dosent even use nothing that is next gen and no the remote has been around since 1998 everything else bing use in the wii is last gen if u could think of something msg me or live the info in the forum
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
It came after last-gen, so yes it is (technically its now current-gen)
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

plus the wii dosent even use nothing that is next gen and no the remote has been around since 1998 everything else bing use in the wii is last gen if u could think of something msg me or live the info in the forumsocomgta3

'98? I presume you're talking about that tilt capable PS1 controller then. Yes, TILT. Not motion. And it certainly didn't have a pointer system. 

mjgballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjgballin
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts

the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terriblesocomgta3

1)You shouldnt have bought the wii in the first place if you're such a graphics whore.  

2) Learn how to spell.

3) Raw power?? that makes you sound like a n00b. 

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#17 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It came out a year after the XBox360 and thats next gen so the Wii must be next gen as well.
quetzalcoatl45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 quetzalcoatl45
Member since 2005 • 1850 Posts

In a sense, it is and it isnt.

it is because it was released during the Seventh Generation.

And it is not because it has taken a seprate path form the mainstream, some see that as a good thing and call it "New Gen", others just consiter it a Repackaged Gamecube with a gimmick for a controller and call it 'Last gen'.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JMart0492

[QUOTE="socomgta3"]the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terriblemjgballin

1)You shouldnt have bought the wii in the first place if you're such a graphics whore.  

2) Learn how to spell.

yep ... "OMG this game isn't fun at all becuase the graphics are horrible. I mean look at my characters index finger! There's no lines to mark where the skin bends with the knuckles! Arghhh!!"

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="mjgballin"]

[QUOTE="socomgta3"]the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terribleJMart0492

2) Learn how to spell.

yep ... "OMG this game isn't fun at all becuase the graphics are horrible. I mean look at my characters index finger! There's no lines to mark where the skin bends with the knuckles! Arghhh!!"

Thats blowing it way out of proportion, nobody is saying games aren't fun if they don't look good but there are standards. I thought people would have got this by now.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JMart0492
[QUOTE="JMart0492"][QUOTE="mjgballin"]

[QUOTE="socomgta3"]the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terribletomarlyn

2) Learn how to spell.

Thats blowing it way out of proportion, nopbody is saying games aren't fun if they don't look good but there are standards. I thought people would have got this by now. 

First of all it's not blowing it out of porportion because people are like that. And second there are only standards for people that need their 360 or ps3 graphics. If their were standards there wouldn't be a Virtual Console or a Xbox Live Arcade. But thats all I'm gonna say about this matter I'm not gonna fight with people on the internet, it's just retarded.

mjgballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mjgballin
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts
[QUOTE="JMart0492"][QUOTE="mjgballin"]

[QUOTE="socomgta3"]the wii is not next gen its a gamecube with a tv remote how u ask well it uses everything like the gamecube but with like 10 to 20 percent better graphics and horsepower thats it no highdefinition tv support no raw power like the 360 or ps3 and before any one gets on my case if im hating on the wii no i got on just for rayman but im gona sell it i see no fun in it so in my opinen it is not nextgen just a remake of a gamecube plus once u go HD u dont want to go back thats y i dont play the wii the graphics are terribletomarlyn

2) Learn how to spell.

Thats blowing it way out of proportion, nobody is saying games aren't fun if they don't look good but there are standards. I thought people would have got this by now.

I know, and the standards will be raised higher when games like Galaxy will come. But obviously, he is so bothered by its graphics now that he doesnt even want to give the wii a chance to see how it can improve and calling it a"remake of the gamecube". If he actually tried researching on the wii's capabilities rather than diss it by not even getting his facts straight, well, he is just plain stupid.

User10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 User10293
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts
It's definitely next gen. It's not as powerful as the PS3 or 360 but it's still better than last gen consoles and it makes good use of the Wiimote technology.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Its current Gen just like PS3 and 360 are current gen.
froggut198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 froggut198
Member since 2005 • 1369 Posts
I would say the Wii is "next-gen" (or "current gen" now.)  The Wii definately improved/added more new hardware than the 360/PS3.  Developers so far have been lazy though so there aren't any phenominal games and mostly everything is PS2 port.  Graphics do not define gaming generations. 
bluegender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bluegender
Member since 2006 • 1145 Posts
It's semi-next gen.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

Wii is a next-gen console, but some journalists have deemed Wii "new-gen" instead... which IMO only shows bias on the journalist's part, regardless of the fact that Iwata himself deemed Wii a "new-gen" console.

In case your wondering what "new-gen" means, it means that Wii goes for a separate audience and idea than the other two consoles.

blueteeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 blueteeth
Member since 2006 • 1158 Posts
actuall wii is current gen along with ps3 and x-box 360 NEXT GEN would be ... ps4, xbox-720 and nintendos next console after wii
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts
socomgta3... please learn to use punctuation when you troll. Nobody is going to be able to get upset at your trolling, because they don't want to read a 300 word run-on sentence.
dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 dieasgrey
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts

A Console should not be more than $300 imo.

Nintendo just took a different direction . Just like they did with the DS and they are kicking Psp's ass worldwide. 

They made an affordable system for us and a profitable one  for themselves. 

It is a fun system and it is refreshing to see stuff done beyond the same ole  same ole that we get on teh X360 and PS3. 

ANd by definition it is Next gen . It's not debatable nor an opinion.  Nes-SNES-N64-GCN-Wii     

for the argument that it is a upgraded GC.....it is roughly 2x what gc is  just like SNES was 2x what NES was. So was SNES not next gen ? 

So I wonder how Sony's doing with that billion + dollar loss they've taken with the ps3 

reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

socomgta3... please learn to use punctuation when you troll. Nobody is going to be able to get upset at your trolling, because they don't want to read a 300 word run-on sentence.decepticondevil

Agreed.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
A) Let's begin with punctuation and grammar. All languages have them, so I care not to hear an excuse if English is not your first language.

give the wii like 1 more year when every person that cant afford a ps3 or 360 is gona just get that socomgta3

B) I don't care if the price of the 360 or the PS3 drops. I won't buy the 360 simply for Halo 3, nor the PS3 for Final Fantasy and MGS. I have that money to spare, but it's just not worth much of any price they would ask. If there aren't enough interesting games, I won't buy a console or handheld. That is regardless of the system's price.

C) If you know what you like, play that and let all else be. Do your research, and you'll get what you want. If you got what you wanted out of the system, you have nothing about which to complain. If you don't like what you bought, you have nobody to blame but yourself for making either a hasty or uninformed decision.