The Unofficial Super Smash Bros. Brawl Guide and Forum (keep discussion in here)

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 maclotr
Member since 2003 • 6282 Posts

Massive Revamp and Updates Following www.smashbros.com Update

Hey there, I'm MacLotr, and I am here to introduce the ultimate thread on the sensation that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl
. I was the author of the previous official discussion of this game. It has long since faded from the boards (rest in peace...), so I figured I should make a new one, hoping to keep it alive much longer. However, I'm not taking the same route as before -- just opening the floor to speculation and calling it quits. I have decided to take a leaf from the book of bofe1234, author of the immensely successful official thread of SMG, and post a synopsis of the game, characters confirmed, trailers, screenshots, everything. I give bofe1234 complete credit for the outline and layout of this guide, as it follows the same format. I am, of course, open to suggestions to improve the guide. After my initial posts, I will open the floor to discussion. Talk about potential characters, stages, items, moves, Smash Attacks, online features, tournaments, or anything else that you'd like to see in the game. Of course, you can talk about other things too -- just keep it on topic. With that, let us begin!

Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org

Release Date:
TBD 2007

Synopsis:
This game is the third installment in what some consider to be the greatest fighting series of all time. Its predecessors, Super Smash Bros. (N64) and Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN), were both received with rave reviews, particularly the latter, although the former maintains its nostalgic reputation. The previous games pitted various Nintendo characters against each other to battle for ultimate supremacy, while stopping evil forces threating to destroy them all -- namely, the Master Hand, the Crazy Hand, and Giga Bowser. This game follows the same formula, but this time, bringing at least one character foreign to Nintendo franchises into the mix, as Solid Snake of Metal Gear fame joins the crew. Will others from third-parties join him? Who knows?

Will Snake be the lone representative of the 3rd-parties?
Photo courtesy of www.pikatung.com

How To Play:

The game is fairly simple. We don't yet know the control scheme, but the basic layout of things 95% of the time will be you and up to 3 other opponents on a set stage, trying to knock the others off the stage, thus defeating them. You will each have a health meter that starts at 0%. As damage is dealt out, the percentage will rise. As a character's percentage rises, hits will become more and more effective when it comes to knockback.

Try not to get yourself in the situation Link is in. Smashing an opponent back into the air upon landing is called "juggling".
Photo courtesy of www.smashbros.com

Link takes his vengeance on Mario, who loses a life.

Music:

In a stroke of brilliance and technological breakthrough for the company, Brawl will feature a fully orchestrated soundtrack. The trailers posted further down feature tracks from the game. The sound effects have also been vastly improved, now that more than ever is happening at once on screen.

UPDATE: www.smashbros.com has released one track from the game -- a remix of the Menu Theme from Melee! Sounds great, check it out here, along with the full list of composers.

Developer:
It almost goes without saying, but Nintendo is producing this game. Masahiro Sakurai, the creative force behind both the Kirby and the Smash Bros. franchises, is helming the project.

Masahiro Sakurai, the lead designer of the game
Photo courtesy of www.gameinformer.com

Single Player:
This game will feature the c lassic (it won't let me type that word for some reason) mode that both games have featured, in addition to the Melee-exclusive Adventure and All-Star modes (this is only an assumption, but it's a safe one). It will also likely feature new modes as well, which I will of course update when they are announced.
  • C lassic: Choose a character, a difficulty, and a number of lives, then battle through a set number of fights to face off against the Master Hand.
  • Adventure: Choose a character, a difficulty, and a number of lives, and prepare for a tough ordeal. Not only is the path to glory littered with fights, there are also many side-scrolling platforming elements, so prepare yourself.
  • All-Star: Choose a character and a difficulty, but you only get one life as you face off against every character in the game. It moves from 1v1 to 1v2 to 1v3 and beyond.
  • More TBA

The Battle with the Master Hand and the Crazy Hand from Melee
Photo courtesy of www.detstar.com

Multiplayer:
The Smash Bros. games are reknowned for their extremely fun multiplayer, and the games are often the life of the party when their respective systems are present. The game features several modes of play, including free-for-all, team battles, and many special modes, such as Giant Brawl, where every character is huge. While more standard multiplayer options may or may not come to fruition, there are sure to be additional special modes. Each game is playable in three different ways...
  • Timed Mode: Set a time limit where each kill is worth one point and each time you die subtracts a point. Whoever has the most points when time runs out wins.
  • Stock Mode: Each player gets a certain number of lives, and the last man standing wins.
  • Coin Mode: Characters drop coins that vary in value depending on how much damage is caused. Players must vie for coins, and the one with the most points at the end wins.
  • More TBA

Real multiplayer action from Brawl
Photo courtesy of wii.ign.com

Online:
Ever since the Wii was first announced as the Nintendo Revolution, the question has been asked; what is Nintendo going to do about online services? They can't live in a cave forever! Nintendo has now realized this, and on June 25th, Pokemon Battle Revolution, the spiritual third installment in the Pokemon Stadium series (and a counterpart to Pokemon Diamond/Pearl -- the game should be excellent), launches in the USA as the first Wii game to use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Nintendo has confirmed that Brawl will feature some sort of online connectivity, and while this does not "confirm" that there will be online fights, Nintendo would have to be extremely stupid not to implement it, seeing how high the demand is. Nintendo's not a stupid company, so I severely doubt it will not be included in this game. We know virtually nothing of this topic as of now.
  • TBD

Graphics:
As you can see in some of the screenshots above and below (as well as the videos in their section), this game features remarkable graphics, further proving to non-believers that the Wii is capable of beautiful graphics. It's no Gears of War, but graphics are only icing on the cake, and I think most of you agree with me. Link has a redone look in this game, to bear more resemblane to his Twilight Princess counterpart -- the green is less neon and is a more realistic faded forest-green tunic, clearly stitched from cloth. The details on the clothing of some characters is really quite remarkable. See the Pics and Videos section for more.

Camera:
Outside of certain modes, such as Camera Mode and possibly new ones, the camera is always shows in a 2-D view, facing the stage head-on. The stages, however, being so dynamic, require a camera with the ability to expand. So, as you and your opponent grow further apart, the camera zooms out. The opposite applies for when you and your enemy rush each other.

Stages:
Not too many stages have been confirmed yet, but we have seen is beautiful. The stages are entirely 3-D in their presentation (though you can still only go left, right, up, and down, not towards and away from the screen). We have seen a Mario Kart stage, a stage from Kid Icarus, the Halberd (Meta Knight's ship), a desecrated church or temple of some sort, as well as your traditional floating platform with three smaller platforms above it. See the Confirmed Stages section below for more images.

Your stereotypical 3-tiered stage known as "Battlefield", which features a dawn/day/evening/night cycle.

Controls:
This game uses the Gamecube/Retro Controller set-up, meaning that I sure hope you held onto your GC controllers or have bought a Retro Controller for the VC. I hope that the game comes with one of those bundled in (for your sake -- I have 4 Wavebirds), but I can't make any promises. Usually, the A Button is used to attack, the B for a different attack, the X/Y/Up-on-the-analog-stick to jump, Z to grab, Up-on-the-control-pad to taunt, the analog stick to move, and combinations of the analog stick and buttons to pull off various special moves. There is also a new element in this game known as the Brawl Attack. All we know is that it is very powerful, and is obtained using a Brawl Coin. It is currently unknown how rare these coins are or what causes them to occur.

UPDATE: Due to an odd picture of a sideways Wii Remote next to the Controls section on www.smashbros.com, speculation has emerged that the game will feature a sideways remote feature.

That's odd...

Conclusion:
I hope you all enjoyed this guide, now please, feel free to ask any questions you will -- I am savvy to all knowledge that is to be had by the masses on this game. Thanks very much!
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 maclotr

Characters

Confirmed Returning Characters: 6

Mario (Super Mario) and Link (The Legend of Zelda)

Pikachu (Pokemon) and Kirby (Kirby)

Samus (Metroid) and Fox McCloud (Star Fox)

Confirmed Newcomers: 5

Meta Knight (Kirby) and Pit (Kid Icarus)

Zero Suit Samus (Metroid) and Wario (Super Mario)

Solid Snake (Metal Gear)

Confirmed Stages (on www.smashbros.com): 1

Battlefield

george15gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 george15gamer
Member since 2007 • 911 Posts
[QUOTE="maclotr"]PLACEHOLDER you can post now, thanks

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, this will be the character list AND the movies/pics section. Thanks.

Cool Nice Guide:)
merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
that guide is 95% credible but its good its teh pwnge
kukukuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kukukuk
Member since 2005 • 2406 Posts
well done. And when you're talking about the modes, you should assume it would be called Giant Brawl, not Giant Melee (that is if the modes are there) Also your Sakurai pic wont work as it is from N-Sider.
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

Nice, can't wait for this one

oscarlord00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 oscarlord00
Member since 2007 • 752 Posts
man i cant belive snakes going to be in the ssbb
MavsFan2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MavsFan2007
Member since 2006 • 1697 Posts
i hope Yoshi will be better in Brawl. I am always Yoshi in Mario Parties and Mario Karts.
Mikeplus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mikeplus2
Member since 2006 • 282 Posts
Hey, nice guide :D
element_boy55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 element_boy55
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

"Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Guide"?!?!?! Hahah more like Super Smash Bros. Melee Guide (With added TBA's!!!) I know everyone is itching for Brawl, i am one of them! but frankly, its too early to be looking to much into it, i'll be looking forward to getting my hands on Brawl but its too early!

Aranjit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aranjit
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
official? no no no no.........look up the word official in the dictionary
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maclotr

"Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Guide"?!?!?! Hahah more like Super Smash Bros. Melee Guide (With added TBA's!!!)

If by "SSBM guide with added TBA'S!!!" you mean a guide that applies only to SSBB except for in the areas of control, Single and Multiplayer, then yes, that is correct.

[QUOTE="kukukuk"] And when you're talking about the modes, you should assume it would be called Giant Brawl, not Giant Melee (that is if the modes are there) Also your Sakurai pic wont work as it is from N-Sider.element_boy55

Thanks for those corrections, I'll edit and take those into account. I'm on a computer where pictures don't work super well right now, but I'll fix the Giant thing.

maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maclotr
official? no no no no.........look up the word official in the dictionaryAranjit
Fair enough, though there were much nice ways to say that. How about a suggestion of changing the word next time instead of patronizing me?
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts

"Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Guide"?!?!?! Hahah more like Super Smash Bros. Melee Guide (With added TBA's!!!) I know everyone is itching for Brawl, i am one of them! but frankly, its too early to be looking to much into it, i'll be looking forward to getting my hands on Brawl but its too early!

element_boy55
yea...what he said
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 maclotr
[QUOTE="element_boy55"]

"Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Guide"?!?!?! Hahah more like Super Smash Bros. Melee Guide (With added TBA's!!!) I know everyone is itching for Brawl, i am one of them! but frankly, its too early to be looking to much into it, i'll be looking forward to getting my hands on Brawl but its too early!

ZumaJones07
yea...what he said

To be quite frank, I find it odd that a few of you are against this topic but make no claim against the bazillion "ZOMG CANT WAIT FOR DIS GAME I HOPE SANTAS IN IT" threads. I made this to contain those at first, and become more of an information center as more came out. So, who do you guys hope is in? I really hope the Prince of Persia makes it.
Nick-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nick-42
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
Very useful guide.
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 maclotr
Very useful guide.Nick-42
Thank you. Anyone have some characters/stages/movesets/etc to suggest? I have a moveset for the Prince of Persia, but I don't have time to type it out right now.
SyLaRs_FuRy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SyLaRs_FuRy
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts
ROY OR MARTH better b in this game!!!!!
pencil025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pencil025
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts
i hope Yoshi will be better in Brawl. I am always Yoshi in Mario Parties and Mario Karts.MavsFan2007
Yeah Yoshi was terrible in Melee
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts
Very cool thread. Good job, man! I'll be reading everything.
Triforce108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Triforce108
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
good guide. hope marths in ssbb.
pizzaface_909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pizzaface_909
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Well Fox is already in it so I'm happy... DOCTOR MARIO DON"T LEAVE ME!!!!
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maclotr
Yeah, I was always Marth in Melee... he'll probably stay. If he leaves, they better put in PoP as the new fast swordsman.
luisfv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 luisfv
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
nice guide i`ll be waiting for more info.
FireEmblem24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FireEmblem24
Member since 2007 • 1097 Posts
this game will be amazing

GanonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GanonKing
Member since 2006 • 173 Posts
Hey, this is MacLotr... I'm having posting troubles, no idea why... it was REALLY horrible timing, just finished working for a couple hours on it... I managed to copy and paste it, but none of the images carried over... oh well... sort of.
bexarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bexarath
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts
I hope Ness and Jiggleypuff are still there, the two characters I own with most after my favorite Fox.
Hyper-Chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Hyper-Chicken
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts
The super smash attack you were talking about is a new item, it's a blue medallion with the SSB logo on it. and when you pick it up, it triggers a super smash attack.
RogerC44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#29 RogerC44
Member since 2006 • 2504 Posts
Great guide!
astrozomobie08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 astrozomobie08
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
vectorman!!!! please! he was on a nintendo system as was Beat from jet set radio! oh and instead of wireframes there should be Mii's. that would make my perfect game
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 maclotr
The super smash attack you were talking about is a new item, it's a blue medallion with the SSB logo on it. and when you pick it up, it triggers a super smash attack.Hyper-Chicken
Is there any way you could find a link to confirm this? If so, I'll definitely put it in.
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 maclotr
I added the first half of the characters/pics/videos section. The rest will come tonight if my computer works. Thanks!
Hyper-Chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hyper-Chicken
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hyper-Chicken"]The super smash attack you were talking about is a new item, it's a blue medallion with the SSB logo on it. and when you pick it up, it triggers a super smash attack.maclotr
Is there any way you could find a link to confirm this? If so, I'll definitely put it in.

No link, but watch the first trailer, Mario grabs it before he uses his awsome fire attack.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

good guide. hope marths in ssbb. Triforce108

Me too!

maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 maclotr

Bump in time for tomorrow's big update!

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

Guckyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Guckyy
Member since 2007 • 1227 Posts

i say:

95% chance of new character(s)

96% chance of new trailer

8% chance of release date

3% chance of "remodeling"

soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts
i hope jigglypuff shows up in brawl. and im probably the only one
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 maclotr
I could see that, Guckyy.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#40 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
Nice effort but don't be suprised if this thread goes to page 3 by the end of the hour XD
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 maclotr
Oh, it's been on page 28 or so since March. I just bumped it because I will hopefully have something to finally update it with.
quiensave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 quiensave
Member since 2005 • 253 Posts
i just wanted to let you know that the new attack you mentioned is called the Brawl Attack not a Smash Attack
An0nymoustory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 An0nymoustory
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Nice dude!!!

My most anticipated thing is online.  I hope they have something not using FC... Something much much better than that. 

maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 maclotr

i just wanted to let you know that the new attack you mentioned is called the Brawl Attack not a Smash Attackquiensave
Thanks for the update.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11998 Posts
Great guide, thanks for the information.
maclotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 maclotr
Great guide, thanks for the information.gatsbythepig
Yay! You're quite welcome, thanks for the compliment. I like both the reference to Gatsby AND the pirate from SC.
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

element_boy55

I agree with that. 

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts

I don't like how Mario looks in that pic also I'm starting to hate Mario "Mickey mouse-like" voice.Is annoying.I hope they don't screw Solid snake,the whole reason I'm buying a wii is for ssbb because im a big MGS fan.

It was sad what happen to spawn in Soul caliber,i hope is not the same case here.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Great thread!
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

I don't like how Mario looks in that pic also I'm starting to hate Mario "Mickey mouse-like" voice.Is annoying.I hope they don't screw Solid snake,the whole reason I'm buying a wii is for ssbb because im a big MGS fan.

It was sad what happen to spawn in Soul caliber,i hope is not the same case here.

Hater3000

Don't worry, if anything, there are bigger things to worry than mario's trademark voice and Solid Snake's presentation.

Let's just hope for the best. Â