The one thing I HATE about Nintendo games...

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

They are too predictable! Or in other words, they have no story.

When was the last time a Nintendo game surprised you by its story?

When was the last time a Nintendo game had an unexpected plot twist?

When was the last time you played a Nintendo game where you didn't know who the last boss was going to be?

When was the last time you genuinely felt sad during a Nintendo game?

Well, at least for me, the answer to all those questions is never.

After playing Okami, (Which has tons of surprises and plot twists and an amazing story) it's dissapointing that Nintendo games can't have a story as good, or even as close to as good.

I know a lot of people here think a story doesn't matter, but it does a hell of a lot. It just makes things sooooo much more interesting and adds so much to a game.

Anyone else agree with me?

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Well I agree with you. Just not in any one of the bizarre ways you poll'd.

But what Nintendo lacks in story-development they make up for in actual gameplay. But yeah, I wish Nintendo would push the boundries a little more often with their game's storyline.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
I thought LOZ:TP had a pretty good story. Probably one of the best that I've playd recently.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sexy_chimp

I thought LOZ:TP had a pretty good story. Probably one of the best that I've playd recently.zerosaber456

Then you need to play games with better stories. TP's may have had a good story, but it made no sense. It had terrible story telling.

And TP had no plot twists or surprises.

It was get 3 pieces of the *thing*

Then it was get 4 pieces of the *other thing*

Then it was fighting *the last boss* (You'll never guess who that is)

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Fire Emblem
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zerosaber456

[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]I thought LOZ:TP had a pretty good story. Probably one of the best that I've playd recently.sexy_chimp

Then you need to play games with better stories. TP's may have had a good story, but it made no sense. It had terrible story telling.

For your information, I have played games with better storylines. KOTOR I and II, the BG series, Deus Ex I and I just to name a few. TP may have seem inferior to the games mentioned, but that doesn't stop it from having a great story. Sure there are no plot twists but I had fun the whole way through and I thought the story telling was great. I guess I should've mentioned mentioned that TP was the first Zelda game I've played in probably 10 years. lol

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
The first game that comes to mind is Excite Truck...
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

nintendo has never been good with storylines. specifically the games that miyamoto created. metroid has a wonderful storyline and even a side storyline like metroid prime was interesting. what a surprise that metroid isn't a game that miyamoto created.

storylines are a big part of the gaming experience. those who think otherwise are just casual gamers as far as i'm concerned.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 forgot_it

nintendo has never been good with storylines. specifically the games that miyamoto created. metroid has a wonderful storyline and even a side storyline like metroid prime was interesting. what a surprise that metroid isn't a game that miyamoto created.

storylines are a big part of the gaming experience. those who think otherwise are just casual gamers as far as i'm concerned.

BrooklynHotBoy

Miyamoto doesn't seem all that fond about storylines. http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/12/interview-super.html

...Earthbound, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga

DavidRswii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 DavidRswii
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts
O yea I'm actually getting kinda tired of always facing Bowser at the end why not Wario
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Innocent_J
Member since 2006 • 1821 Posts

its actualli kinda true.

I can't remember the last time i was sad in a nintendo game haha.

But sometimes i don't know who the final boss is going to be.

But overall you're kinda right

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts

Nowadays, stories don't sell. It's all about graphics, multiplayer, or (Nintendo's case, and seems like ONLY Nintendo's case) gameplay. Stories aren't major sellers anymore. Stories stopped selling after classical RPGs (and not Japanese wtfRPG platformers) went outta style with dem geecks.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 forgot_it
Magical Starsign, Soma Bringer.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sexy_chimp
[QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]I thought LOZ:TP had a pretty good story. Probably one of the best that I've playd recently.zerosaber456

For your information, I have played games with better storylines. KOTOR I and II, the BG series, Deus Ex I and I just to name a few. TP may have seem inferior to the games mentioned, but that doesn't stop it from having a great story. Sure there are no plot twists but I had fun the whole way through and I thought the story telling was great. I guess I should've mentioned mentioned that TP was the first Zelda game I've played in probably 10 years. lol

Well at least we agree it was too predictable.

bbtcbbtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 bbtcbbtc
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts
you need a disagree poll entry spot
HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts
Magical Starsign, Soma Bringer.forgot_it
What?
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sexy_chimp

you need a disagree poll entry spotbbtcbbtc

Nonsense.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zerosaber456
[QUOTE="zerosaber456"][QUOTE="sexy_chimp"]

[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]I thought LOZ:TP had a pretty good story. Probably one of the best that I've playd recently.sexy_chimp

Well at least we agree it was too predictable.

That is true lol

machod_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 machod_19
Member since 2007 • 523 Posts
The one thing that i like about all Nintendo games, are the boss fights. Every Nintendo game has the greatest boss fights, only if they could put that effort into their stories.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 forgot_it

What?HOMIE_G64

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/magicalvacation2/index.html?tag=tabs;summary

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/somabringer/index.html?tag=result;title;0

that

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

to be honest...i actually prefer the story lite approach nintendo takes. they dont ever let it get in the way of the game..its just something to give the game context and tie all the events together...but its not a huge deal really. too many games get too cought up on the story and the game suffers for it. i have to say that i do prefer the ninty approach to it..keep it in the background and focus on the main stuff. the only exception is RPGs...a story is more important there.

in saying that, i do wish theyd change the plots a bit from time to time in some of their games...but i wouldnt want them to focus on it hugely.

and the one thing i definately do want to see is a change in the layout of some games. eg zelda its collect a few things in a few dungeons (using the same themes from game to game overall), get master sword, collect a few more things from a few more dungeons, kill gannon. i wish they changed this layout and the objectives a fair bit and really mixed things up. maybe have chapters and loads of quests that u can tackle at ure own leisure within each chapter. maybe have a dungeon with no enemies, just puzzles. maybe have a murder mystery that must be solved to get one of the important items...something to break the formula up a bit. its a credit to ninty that the quality of the dungeons and gameplay throught the series has lasted this long...but its getting a little stale.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sexy_chimp

Well I kinda disagree. Nintendo has had some pretty good storylines in their games before.
I thought Twilight Princess was good, and the whole Metroid Prime trilogy was good too. There's other games too.. Not just Mario games, if that is what you look to most..

And don't say I have not played games with good stories, now. You say Okami has a good story? Well I present you Bioshock, and Mass Effect, and Half Life 2, and Portal, just to name a few. I'm guessing you might have not played those games.. Or maybe you have. But whatever.

Nerd_Man

I've played Bioshock, Half Life 2, and Portal, and in my opinion Okami's story is better than all of them.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 forgot_it
Twilight Princess would've been good if it weren't for the fact that it wasn't the first...or the second...or the third time we were seeing the exact same layout.
vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
[QUOTE="BrooklynHotBoy"]

forgot_it

Miyamoto doesn't seem all that fond about storylines.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/12/interview-super.html

...Earthbound, Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga

Thanks for the link, it was interesting.

Yeah NIntendo lacking in the story department is a letdown. Mario Rpg had an a great story, but that was for the most part made by Square. Fire Emblem has a decent story, but sometime I feel it doesn't fit very well into that kind of game. I don't know why, it worked for FF tactics.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
The last time they had unpredictable story? I think last gen. With some exceptions, though.
Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts

I agree that Nintendo's story lines are the greatest, but in a video game "story" isn't the most important element. I don't have any reference to it now, but I read in the past about Nintendo's development process. They test gameplay mechanics/ideas (i.e. gravity in SMG) to find out what people enjoy or have fun with. As the game is developed, so is the story line. That's why Nintendo has superior gameplay mechanics, but lackluster stories. If they started off with the story first and then gameplay mechanics then we'd experience a superb story, but we may not get the same gameplay as we're used to. I'm sure Nintendo could pull off the entire package, however.

PikaPikaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 PikaPikaboo
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts
uh... Super Paper Mario, a little cliche, but some nice twists.
rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
Fire Emblemforgot_it

Yup.

And I think Wind Waker/OoT had good stories; OoT had easily the best, and you can't argue it had a poor story line or lacking cinematics. Majora's Mask didn't have a great story, but it worked, and the atmosphere was compelling.

Mario games do need to work on their storytelling more, but meh. They're fun even if you don't pay attention to what's going on in the plot. And the Metroid's had decent plots, although they weren't exactly deep or filled with entertaining dialogue. The Star Fox plots are good, particularly SF64's.

Overall, I agree that I'd like to see more of an effort as far as story's go for Nintendo.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I agree with almost all of those. Nintendo needs to appeal to the emotions more in their games. The game that made me feel the most emotional was when I was re-starting my Pokemon Yellow game 10 years ago... and that was because I was sad to have to erase all the time I spent putting into the game and became attached to my Pikachu.

After that, I'd say Twilight Princess' end made me feel a little emotional, but not much. It was more like the emotion of finally finishing a game after investing 40+ hours into it. A little sad to see the end finally.

But yes, I agree with pretty much all of those. Especially the predictability. That is exactly what I thought of when I saw this topic. I dont think I've ever been surprised by a Nintendo game. Ever actually.

inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts
Fire Emblemforgot_it
hell yeah
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

There arent many games that I dont know the outcome, however even being aware of the grand outcome the journey there is still good. I mean when your playing a game like God of War, who did you think you would be fighting last, or the upcoming MGS4, there arent too many surprises in games, its all spelled out for you at the beginning and your just playing to get to the obvious outcome. So dont fault Nintendo like they are the only ones who do this, I mean the last game I played where I didnt know the last boss Nintendo or otherwise, was Ninja Gaiden.

Also Twilight Princess had a solid story, you said there were no plot twist or anything but there were. They just didnt seem like plot twist because its what you expected even before knowing the story of the game. But technically there are plot twist, and lastly if your going to make a poll, make a real one.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts
Lol, a lot of people want to make love to you Chimp.
makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts

The first game that comes to mind is Excite Truck... Jakendo

im guessin you had to think long and hard to come up with a game lik Excite Truck

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 forgot_it

There arent many games that I dont know the outcome, however even being aware of the grand outcome the journey there is still good. I mean when your playing a game like God of War, who did you think you would be fighting last, or the upcoming MGS4, there arent too many surprises in games, its all spelled out for you at the beginning and your just playing to get to the obvious outcome. So dont fault Nintendo like they are the only ones who do this, I mean the last game I played where I didnt know the last boss Nintendo or otherwise, was Ninja Gaiden.

Sepewrath
It's not about knowing the last boss, it's who you meet and what happens in between.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

What plot twist did Okami have?? I've played it and remember it being pretty predictable.

Metroid Prime has a pretty good story with a great plot twist at the end.

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

To answer the TC's question I'd say Twilight Princess.

I genuinely thought Zant was the final boss and that the Twilight Castle was the last level. When I saw Zant was in some Ganon cult I freaked out "OMG TWO FINAL BOSSES :O"

So I did not see that one coming and it surprised me

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Minishdriveby

Was any one surprised in Wind Waker, when they found out the King of Red Lions was the King of Hyrule. That could also be a plot twist.

fleig_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fleig_man
Member since 2006 • 858 Posts

To answer the TC's question I'd say Twilight Princess.

I genuinely thought Zant was the final boss and that the Twilight Castle was the last level. When I saw Zant was in some Ganon cult I freaked out "OMG TWO FINAL BOSSES :O"

So I did not see that one coming and it surprised me

snowman6251

yeah I didn't expect that in TP either. But the Paper Mario series had some great stories along with Metroid Prime 1,2, and 3. Wind Waker had a good plot twist cause I had no idea that Hyrule was under water lol. Umm, in animal crossing you make your own legacy, Subspace Emmisary had a pretty good story from what I got out of it. I know there is more, but I'm too tired to think.

CalmNMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CalmNMellow
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I like deep storis but thats IMO extra for a game. what I dont want is the kingdom hearts way of telling it. 2 hrs of cinemas and 10 mins of gameplay. my 1st play through with that game was 45 hours watching every cinema. 2n I d play through skipping them all and i beat it in 17 hours. FF is the same way too...
CalmNMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CalmNMellow
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
GS needs an edit button.......lol
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Minishdriveby

GS needs an edit button.......lolCalmNMellow

They have an edit button. it's in that little tab, that says select action below.

nnfnnfnfnnfnnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nnfnnfnfnnfnnf
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

Fire Emblemforgot_it

Definitly. And the stories in most other games tend to be decent, just nothing exceptional. As long as the gameplay is good, only having a decent story doesn't bother me much.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sexy_chimp

What plot twist did Okami have?? I've played it and remember it being pretty predictable.

Minishdriveby

HUGE SPOILERS BELOW!!! Highlight to read them.

Well, if Okami was a Nintendo game, Orochi would be the last boss. In Okami, he's only one third through the game.

Queen Himiko dying was a surprise.

Rao dying was a surprise.

Rao being possessed by evil was a surprise.

Waka was an interesting mystery throughout the entire game.

Waka being part of the moon tribe was a surprise.

Going back in time 100 years was a surprise

That's off the top of my head

andrewham7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 andrewham7
Member since 2004 • 440 Posts
Subspace on Brawl had a good story, and some suprises!!
emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

I know what you all mean.. but again, the people are never satisfied...when nintendo start to putting diferent styles in his classics, and put simply things differently from the old games, the people didnt like, take for example The Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Double Dash, etc...those, for naming a few, are games, that maybe it was kind of the same, but they tried to aim to a different themes of their games, and Im not talking about story, but type of games...but all people complain about those games, and what Nintendo do ? they bring the old-fashion style of game, like Mario galaxy, twilight princess, etc, and now they ALL complain about fighting the same bosses, playing the same gameplay, whining about the same art-style.. there is nothing new, nothing to add, bla bla bla....About the story part.. well, if Nintendo create all this games the same over the years, well thats Nintendo, thats why we have Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, and that game Okami came out that looks pretty decent..Metroid Prime 3 is an incredible game, with a backup story, a good one, and yet, is one of the few Nintendo games, that barely pass the 1 million sales...so what do you want then ? Just enjoy the games, there are games for everyone, not quite the perfect we want, because there is no such thing, just enjoy the great games they made for us, with all of their work
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sexy_chimp

Subspace on Brawl had a good story, and some suprises!!andrewham7

Uh, Subspace's story made very little sense. You had to read the update on the Dojo to really understand any of that. That is bad storytelling if I can't understand the story through playing the game.

The only surprise was the Ancient Minister turning out to be ROB and I'm sure a lot of people saw that coming. (I didn't though :P)

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

sexy_chimp

HUGE SPOILERS BELOW!!! Highlight to read them.

Well, if Okami was a Nintendo game, Orochi would be the last boss. In Okami, he's only one third through the game.

Queen Himiko dying was a surprise.

Rao dying was a surprise.

Rao being possessed by evil was a surprise.

Waka was an interesting mystery throughout the entire game.

Waka being part of the moon tribe was a surprise.

Going back in time 100 years was a surprise

That's off the top of my head

really... those weren't that surprising to me.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sexy_chimp

Minishdriveby

How could you possibly see any of those things coming?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

sexy_chimp

How could you possibly see any of those things coming?

I don't know I just was really.

[spoiler] The mystery with waka wasn't really anything I knew he was a good guy the first time I saw him. ANd buy the end of the game I knew he was a from the moon and was on the ark with the celestials.

I knew Rao was evil the first time I met her. I forget why I think it was because of the item she kept wanting (I played the game in 2006. [/spoiler]

Everything really fit into place.