The Next Zelda: No Sword?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ishboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ishboy12
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

In an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto, Miyamoto points out that the zelda artwork the press saw in his roudtable had no sword:

"IGN: At your developer roundtable this week, you showed off a single piece of artwork from the next Wii Zelda game. This piece of art has not yet been released publicly, but we noticed that Link appears to have grown to full adulthood. He looks older than he did in Twilight Princess. Is that a correct assumption?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword."

So, do you think this means Link will lose his sword in the upcoming Zelda game? I remember that Miyamoto also recommended looking at the sword and archery games in Wii Sports Resort to see what the controls might be like, and this latest comment seems to contradict that.

Is it possible that a new sword is to be unveiled? And that's why Miyamoto pointed this out? What are your thoughts?

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I hope not. I don't want to go around karate chopping people Goldeneye style.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#3 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think the hint he mentioned probably is about the story not the gameplay. A Zelda without a sword, especially when you have motion plus, wouldn't be a good decision.

But Nintendo is known for its surprises.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

He said to think of Zelda when playing Wii Sports Resort fencing and archery, so at some point Link has to get a sword.

My guess: maybe he doesn't have his own sword. He can pick up any weapon from fallen enemies, and use them as long as they don't break. This goes along my theory that interaction with the environment will be greater than ever. That is, if Miyamoto's hint isn't story-related only...

Oh, how I love to hear the first actual hints on Zelda, and not just "it needs big new ideas" (as awesome as it sounds)!

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

He said it was a completley new era so maybe he doesnt havea sword but something more modern...

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

He said it was a completley new era so maybe he doesnt havea sword but something more modern...

AmayaPapaya
He better not have a gun.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

maybe he gets different weapons this time around besides his trusty sword. (Main weapons)

There are other things out there besides swords ya know.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

OreoMilkshake

He better not have a gun.

He won't have a gun...He will have THE GUN..The MASTER GUN!

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

deku sticks, deku nuts, lens of truth, thats all link needs

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I know this isn't much, but if you think about it, Link's been without a sword before. The most recent and best example I can bring up would be at the beginning of Wind Waker during your first visit to the Forsaken Fortress. Without a weapon of his own, Link was forced to find a way to sneak around and be creative in defeating his opponents. Actually, I found that to be a part of the game that wasn't tapped into enough. I'm probably way off here, but perhaps it's possible that the next Zelda could have puzzles based off of such a concept, and give Link a way to battle enemies in a new way. Sounds funny now, I know, but who knows? :P

mkeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mkeyou
Member since 2008 • 995 Posts

maybe instead of the hero's bow ,link gets the torque bow from gears of war. that would be perfect.:P

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

perhaps its some kind of magic sword made of energy, Ive always wanted link to be able to shoot sword beams again. I'm glad hes an adult though the character needs to evolve somewhat.

Ishboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ishboy12

I know this isn't much, but if you think about it, Link's been without a sword before. The most recent and best example I can bring up would be at the beginning of Wind Waker during your first visit to the Forsaken Fortress. Without a weapon of his own, Link was forced to find a way to sneak around and be creative in defeating his opponents. Actually, I found that to be a part of the game that wasn't tapped into enough. I'm probably way off here, but perhaps it's possible that the next Zelda could have puzzles based off of such a concept, and give Link a way to battle enemies in a new way. Sounds funny now, I know, but who knows? :P

Madmangamer364
That's actually a pretty interesting concept that could shake up the storyline a bit. Rather than getting a sword and attacking immediately, maybe the game will have more sneaking around like in WW (like the first trip to Ganon's castle). I think it would feel a lot more amazing getting whatever sword he does later, and each item would feel much more important when you're used to being defenseless. I think we may see the refresh Zelda needs in this upcoming game :)
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I think he might have been saying that he doesn't have the Master Sword, I mean how often do you see Link without the Master Sword? He might be saying that it wont be in the game, but not that he wont use a sword at all.
alia999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 alia999
Member since 2005 • 1353 Posts

Am I the ONLY person that managed to see this differently? never does it state that Link WONT have a sword, Miyamoto COULD just be hinting that for most of the game, you might have to FIND the Master Sword, as opposed to start with it. Zelda without a sword WOULD be wierd but then again, that could be a part of the 'new direction' they are taking it, besides Link has plenty of other weapons.

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

maybe the master sword is broken and you have to collect the pieces and fix it :o

Ishboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ishboy12

Alia999,

You're not the only one, Madmangamer364 (above) had the same idea. I agree it opens more doors for a different direction this time around. Maybe items will finally be important outside of just one specific dungeon.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath

Am I the ONLY person that managed to see this differently? never does it state that Link WONT have a sword, Miyamoto COULD just be hinting that for most of the game, you might have to FIND the Master Sword, as opposed to start with it. Zelda without a sword WOULD be wierd but then again, that could be a part of the 'new direction' they are taking it, besides Link has plenty of other weapons.

alia999
In basically every Zelda you have to find the Master Sword.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wintry_Flutist
I'm amazed at some of the suggestions, though it's the same whenever people start giving their "Zelda ideas". Looking for the Master Sword? Repairing the Master Sword? How is this new? How is this even exciting? First, it's always been like this (except Majora's Mask), second, that's not being as creative as the Zelda team is trying be right now...
alia999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alia999
Member since 2005 • 1353 Posts

[QUOTE="alia999"]

Sepewrath

In basically every Zelda you have to find the Master Sword.

I know this, but I mean to say, as we know so little about ANY of the story, the story in itself could be for Link to find the Master Sowrd (i.e. that is it). We dont know what Nintendo have planned but if it's a 'new' direction, it could be anything. Besides, even if the Master Sword doesnt appear in the game (or any other sword for that matter, which is possible but unlikely due to the admission of Wii M+), as I said, Link will have plenty of weapons (presumably many new) at his disposal.

Wherever they take it, having completed every Zelda, I can really say that I am VERY hyped for this, and I trust Aonuma and the awesome Zelda team to produce something amazing, maybe even to rival (and hopefully) surpass the dizzy high standards of OoT and LttP. On a side-note, I do hope that they ramp up the difficulty, and I am grateful that they finally chose to change Zelda.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Link will have no Sword in the new Zelda. He will be more Americanized and use Blunt Weapons. He willuse a Bat. He will have to find the Master Bat so he can finally literally BEAT Ganon. Then he'll watch Bat MASTERson.

hiyo2345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hiyo2345
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts

Lol Zelda's Creed am confirmed :P

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I'm amazed at some of the suggestions, though it's the same whenever people start giving their "Zelda ideas". Looking for the Master Sword? Repairing the Master Sword? How is this new? How is this even exciting? First, it's always been like this (except Majora's Mask), second, that's not being as creative as the Zelda team is trying be right now...Wintry_Flutist

Well, I'm looking at it this way... Perhaps Link is never truly with a 'main' sword, and spends most of his adventure, outside of dungeons, carrying either a different source for attacking or nothing at all. However, when he gets to a dungeon, he has to find a sword or other item there to battle the unique enemies that are present. After the boss of that dungeon is defeated, the use of that sword is gone, and/or it disappears for good. I admit that it sounds odd at the moment, but I think many could warm up to the concept, and it could spice things up in various ways.

All anyone here can do right now is just throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks. Personally, I'm not in any way trying to say that my idea is one that Nintendo will/should go with, and I admit that the company is probably brainstorming to come up with something that puts my suggestion to shame. Still, it doesn't hurt to try to come up with something; heck, it's actually has a little fun in it. :P

Avatar image for OldSkoolGamer04
OldSkoolGamer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OldSkoolGamer04
Member since 2004 • 1616 Posts

I don't think the main Zelda series will ever do away with swords completely, but I won't mind it if combat became more about using the environment and whatever weapons you can find. Maybe you're being cornered by some monsters, so you break a huge branch from a tree and start swinging it around. Or maybe you grab a pot and toss it at an Octorock. It doesn't have to be stuff Zelda has never done before, just stuff it never focused on.

And I really hope they get rid of the dungeon cliche where every one of them has a special tool/weapon that you'll know you'll be using for its remainder. It'd be far more interesting to walk into a boss battle only armed with whatever you walked into the dungeon with, only to find that those things don't work. Let's make those boss battles a bit tougher to figure out.

And I'll leave the truly imaginary stuff to the team that gets paid to come up with them.

boba707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 boba707
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts

light saber anyone?

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I hope not. I don't want to go around karate chopping people Goldeneye style.OreoMilkshake
Or maybe thats just the greatest concept known to man!

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts

Whatever the story is I think it will be cool, Link looking even older then ever before that alone sounds like the makings of a good story.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

light saber anyone?

boba707
my thoughts exactly haha
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Well, holding you sword out all the time is dangerous, so an older Link would be mature enough to know the safe thing to do is sheath it until its needed. Or it could be story related, I don't know.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Link's new weapon will the the nunchaku! There will be a new controller peripheral that comes with the game that is a pair of foam nunchaku and you snap a remote in each handle. You will have to master the weapon in real life in order to master it in the game! :P
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wintry_Flutist

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]I'm amazed at some of the suggestions, though it's the same whenever people start giving their "Zelda ideas". Looking for the Master Sword? Repairing the Master Sword? How is this new? How is this even exciting? First, it's always been like this (except Majora's Mask), second, that's not being as creative as the Zelda team is trying be right now...Madmangamer364

Well, I'm looking at it this way... Perhaps Link is never truly with a 'main' sword, and spends most of his adventure, outside of dungeons, carrying either a different source for attacking or nothing at all. However, when he gets to a dungeon, he has to find a sword or other item there to battle the unique enemies that are present. After the boss of that dungeon is defeated, the use of that sword is gone, and/or it disappears for good. I admit that it sounds odd at the moment, but I think many could warm up to the concept, and it could spice things up in various ways.

All anyone here can do right now is just throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks. Personally, I'm not in any way trying to say that my idea is one that Nintendo will/should go with, and I admit that the company is probably brainstorming to come up with something that puts my suggestion to shame. Still, it doesn't hurt to try to come up with something; heck, it's actually has a little fun in it. :P

That's what I suggested earlier in this thread, Link might be able to interact a lot more with the environment, and thus might need to find and carry the items he need according to the situation. Kind of like Halo only allows you two weapons, but on a whole other level of variety of items.
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 danger_ranger95

Maybe someone like Ganondorf steals the sword so Link can not obtain "the blade that can repeal evil's bane" and defeate Ganondorf!

You have to search the land using "other" means of weaponry, finding clues to where the magical blade is. Sticks, rocks, maces, enemy weapons, rakes, hoes, shovels, etc.

Instead of starting your epic journey, why not make it start off weaponless to be even more fun? If you were walking in the woods, and a bear attacks... do you pick up a stick? A rock? Possibly have a trusty boy scout knife in your pocket?

Zelda could be the same way.

Or....the master sword could just be gone. I'm personally getting a little tired of the same old thing. I wouldn't mind if they excluded it

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
Link could very well have a different weapon. Mabey while figuring out how to incorporate Wii motion plus they found that some weapons work better with the new controls than a sword.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
sword is for noobs
Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

Taking swords away from link is like taking away guns from the master chief, or taking the jump out of mario, or taking the box away from snake. It's just not right!!!!

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

The part I found more interesting in that quote is that it takes place in a different era.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wintry_Flutist

The part I found more interesting in that quote is that it takes place in a different era.

nintendoman562
Wind Waker took place in a different era... That's nothing groundbreaking.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Let's see, what titles had the Master Sword? Ocarina of Time Twilight Princess Windwaker A Link to the Past I think that's all of them.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Link has gained the power of the Falcon Punch
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
link is becoming a sumo thats why they want to use wii motion plus for life like sumo gestures the fight with ganon will be in a sumo ring with sumo it is planned to be the most epic end boss fight and they will be life like sumo eating mini games after a boss is beaten
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Let's see, what titles had the Master Sword?

Ocarina of Time

Twilight Princess

Windwaker

ALink to the Past

Ithink that's all of them.wiifan001

The original Legend of Zelda did, too, although technically those exact words did not appear in game.

nintygamer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintygamer19
Member since 2006 • 100 Posts

Maybe he uses some type of magic? like when ganon sends charges of lightning or dark energy at link.Link may wear a gauntlet given to him from one of the great fairies, for example.This would possibly tie in with links magic meter so it is limited to your bottles of magic collected.And if ganon uses magic for his attacks, why cant link? they both have one triforce peice each.

About the fact that we would have a hero with power equal to ganons would not actually mean that the game should/ would be easier as ganons plans were in motion a long time ago and his willingness to create enemies is a huge strength, where as links lack of knowledge in this area and burden to save others is then a huge weakness which is what the zelda series focuses on.

Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

Zelda games could not exist without links sword!

drawoHocimauS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 drawoHocimauS
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts
What if you find the sword like always then play through what you think is the game, beat ganon and then it's not over! There is a new rise in power and it isn't considered evil quite yet so he/she destroys the master sword leaving link broken and weaponless then you play through a whole game that is entirely different and you first are hated by the people so you're stealthy like assassains creed. Then you go and find pieces of the master sword and Link gets stronger and stronger until the people love him again and he goes and has one last battle with the evil new ruler and....that's all i got lol comments on that one? made it up on the spot
drawoHocimauS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drawoHocimauS
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts
comon anyone??
Heyutl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heyutl
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="drawoHocimauS"]What if you find the sword like always then play through what you think is the game, beat ganon and then it's not over! There is a new rise in power and it isn't considered evil quite yet so he/she destroys the master sword leaving link broken and weaponless then you play through a whole game that is entirely different and you first are hated by the people so you're stealthy like assassains creed. Then you go and find pieces of the master sword and Link gets stronger and stronger until the people love him again and he goes and has one last battle with the evil new ruler and....that's all i got lol comments on that one? made it up on the spot

May be not too bad of an idea. I can see this next game possibly being a 2 disc game but also doubt it. The only thing I don't really understand is if they are following TP or what. I mean almost every game is based in a different time right? By the way, when the hell does Link have kids!? Back on point. Link has to have his sword. It's like his trusty side kick. They just go around and kick some butt! He will have some weapon and a sword later. I can't really see Link being in a more modern time though. It just doesn't seem right!!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sepewrath
You know what I think would be a cool concept, to sort of revisit what we saw in Majora's Mask, remember you had your mask inventory and than your weapons/item inventory. I think it would be interesting if Link collected swords the way he collected Mask in MM. Each sword would work as a blade and have a secondary ability, like say a sword that shines like a light, but only when not using it, and a sword that extends like a pole, a sword that turns into a bow that shoots magic(maybe light) arrows. Like the mask in Majora's mask, you collect the ones you need for the adventure and ones that are used for side quest or one time events etc. These swords(WM+ powered) could allow Link to interact with the world in new ways, solve new kinds of puzzles, and just do a few new things. It would be make the gameplay a little different but still be familar so everybody could be happy and enjoy it when they play, and then come on the boards and whine about it and next Zelda for a few years.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AmayaPapaya

Links going to have his sword still...I don't know what it means but it's going to be something really clever!

danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 danger_ranger95

The Legend of Zelda: The Ghost Sword

spooky!