Super Mario Galaxy Vs. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Which is the better Mario game for Wii?

I'm personally far more fond of New Super Mario Bros. Wii

+NSMBW is much MUCH tougher which makes those 1-ups and coins incredibly important. Everything is actually important in this game

+NSMBW has much better and tightly created level designs. Accuracy in level design is always a lot easier in 2D and it shows

+NSMBW has the star coins and secret exits that make you want to play and master every single levelgiving this game far more lasting appeal than Galaxy

- NSMBW, however, does not compare to Galaxy's graphics and soundtrack

So as you can see, NSMBW has it where it counts for me. What are your thoughts?

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#2 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts

Both are great games in their own right, but I like Super Mario Galaxy better. I enjoy the 3D environment, the gameplay, and feel like it added more new things than New SMB Wii. I also think the graphics are bit better compared to New SMB Wii. New SMB Wii is fun especially with coop (been playing with my wifey every night after work since getting it), but the game just feels like more of the same 2D platforming seen in New SMB DS.

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
as im massively dissapointed with NSMBW im gonna have to go for mario galaxy.. one of the most enjoyable experiences ive had this entire gen.
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
NSMBW is much more formulaic than Super Mario Galaxy. Sure some of the level design ideas were original, and the muliplayer is a first for the series, but aside from that if you've played the other "Mario Bros" to death you probably won't find much new. Galaxy, on the other hand, had some really exciting and new concepts. Also it managed to pull off a hybrid between traditional 3D platforming and a more linear style. The level design, the music, and the boss fights were all spectacular. For me Galaxy is among the greatest games of all time and very few games can really compare.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy wins because it has a wow factor that New Super Mario Bros Wii doesn't.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#8 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy wins because it has a wow factor that New Super Mario Bros Wii doesn't.

nintendoman562

Honestly, I agree. As much as I love NSMB Wii, it's not giving the same magical feel that Mario Galaxy gave. Of course, Galaxy is currently my 2nd favorite Mario game of all time, so it would be really hard to top it anyway.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I go with SMG.

Too much polish. you can tell that if NSMB Wii had the extensive development time as SMG and wasn't needed for holiday 2009 so badly to sell units, then they could've moved it to Spring 2010 and added maybe better graphics (i don't get it, it could at least look as good as Brawl, brawl has more complicated stuff going on, and i prefer the more "realisitic" look to marios overalls in Brawl as to the bland light blue in NSMB) and they could've added online 4 player co-op.

if they wanted to go all out, a level editor would've been tight

i think a level editor and online co-op is what keeps this game from being as good as SMG to me

but i understand that its still a extremely good game, and the wii's sales were down a bit from last year so nintendo really wanted to push this one out as soonest as possible without compromising the quality of the game

i'm happy they chose to give Galaxy 2 more time instead of New Super Mario however

(but i don't know why they couldn't at least use the Brawl engine or Galaxy engines to make graphics bettter)

Nintenkid49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nintenkid49
Member since 2009 • 3977 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Jelley0

can you back that up with anything?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

I go with SMG.

Too much polish. you can tell that if NSMB Wii had the extensive development time as SMG and wasn't needed for holiday 2009 so badly to sell units, then they could've moved it to Spring 2010 and added maybe better graphics (i don't get it, it could at least look as good as Brawl, brawl has more complicated stuff going on, and i prefer the more "realisitic" look to marios overalls in Brawl as to the bland light blue in NSMB) and they could've added online 4 player co-op.

i think a level editor and online co-op is what keeps this game from being as good as SMG to me

but i understand that its still a extremely good game, and the wii's sales were down a bit from last year so nintendo really wanted to push this one out as soonest as possible without compromising the quality of the game

i'm happy they chose to give Galaxy 2 more time instead of New Super Mario however

(but i don't know why they couldn't at least use the Brawl engine or Galaxy engines to make graphics bettter)

You know online play would have in no way improved this game, not at all. A game will be good regardless of what it looks like, also that realistic look would have been off putting a for a 2D Mario. Lastly I doubt they rushed this out just for the sake of sales, it sounds like they could have gotten Galaxy 2 out this year and it would have had the same effect as this game.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
I can't choose. Both are great. Super Mario Galaxy would be for if you play video games more alone and like long adventures and roaming in a 3D world. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is for someone who hangs out and plays video games with friends a lot and enjoys a classic 2D feel style. It all depends on a person's style. I love them both.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Galaxy is better. The music, atmosphere, gameplay, art style, and level design are all better. But don't get me wrong, New Super Mario Bros is excellent and a worthy addition to the series.
k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Mario in Space is infinitely larger in scope, and just an overall more impressive game. NSMBWii isn't bad at all, but it's all a bit more formulaic than Galaxy, which had a few genuine twists in its level design. That's just another way of saying that SMG was more innovative.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#15 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii is an excellent game but Super Mario Galaxy is just in another league to it. The wow factor playing it the first time was much bigger than New Super Mario Bros Wii.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
I can't decide. Galaxy Reminded me of playing SMB3 and I'm sure NSMBWii would do the same. I can't decide.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I had a lot of fun with NSMBWii but it doesn't compare to galaxy for me. I found the bosses to be way too easy and their designs predictable and boring. When I played Galaxy, I liked not knowing what I'd be doing next. Surfing on a manta-ray? Fighting a massive rock monster? Collecting things on a giant queen bee? There's so much more variety in Galaxy.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

I go with SMG.

Sepewrath

You know online play would have in no way improved this game, not at all. A game will be good regardless of what it looks like, also that realistic look would have been off putting a for a 2D Mario. Lastly I doubt they rushed this out just for the sake of sales, it sounds like they could have gotten Galaxy 2 out this year and it would have had the same effect as this game.

Yes it would have improved it. i could play it with friends across the country

thats one way it would be improved. its hard to get friends over to the same place for me, much less just to play a video game

i just don't understand why they go through all the work to make a engine for Brawl/Galaxy but don't even use it here

it doesn't make sense

nintendo online doesn't make sense as a whole, like no online in Mario baseball or Wii Sports Resort? After they put it in Kart, Brawl, Strikers?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis

New Super Mario Bros Wii is an excellent game but Super Mario Galaxy is just in another league to it. The wow factor playing it the first time was much bigger than New Super Mario Bros Wii.

chocolate1325

yea Galaxy also tries to offer a better narrative with the whole Rosalina thing and everyone getting sucked into the black hole

ms-fable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 ms-fable
Member since 2008 • 741 Posts

Galaxy's my favorite Mario Game and NSMBW is.. 5th or 6th. And actually I find galaxy harder. Sure it's easy to beat it but after 80 stars it's no walk in the park.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

That's a tough choice. As much as I love both, I never had as much fun with Galaxy as I've had with NSMB's multiplayer. It's so insanely fun. Any game that can bring a group of guys to tears from laughing is a great game.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Kart is a racer, Brawl is a fighter and Strikers is a sports game, games that are based on direct competition and stem from the arcade scene. There is a big difference between those games and a platformer. I'm not saying the game shouldn't have online or that it would lower the quality of the game. My point is its being overrated for its value, especially in a game like NSMB. In most cases it would likely just be an event in fustration even if your playing with people aren't just screwing around because of the online lag. When it comes to engines, its not a once size fits all deal, lots of companies have lots of engines for a lot of different games. You wont see 2K using the Rage engine(GTA IV) for 2K sports.
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

i prefer 2d side-scrolling platformers rather than 3d ones.... yes.. even Mario64.. and multiplayer is a blast, i can't get that from galaxy...

Berndog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Berndog2
Member since 2009 • 108 Posts
Probably Super Mario Galaxy because it has a 3d environment and it is pretty awesome with the whole story behind it
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I almost didn't get NSMB wii this week. It has already taken me back to when I liked Mario games. I like Galaxy, I like NSMB... the best thing is each does its dimension well. If you tend to like 3D platformers SMG wins, if you like 2D platforming NSMB wins. To me it depends on my mood, but I can already say the local multiplayer aspects of NSMB puts it on top for me for the majority of when I'll play it.
vivifan62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vivifan62
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i think they are both really good, but personally i am going to have to go with NSMBW this time.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This is interesting. Most people reply talking about the wow factor being in Galaxy. Now I love Galaxy a lot (that's why the Nintendo channel is tellingme that I played over 100 hours of the game), but it never really wowed me at any given point. New Super Mario Bros. Wii on the other hand has had me actually verbally express my awe at the game's brilliance. This is something I haven't done for a good long while!

I also can't wait to try out the multiplayer as well! I've had two people calling me to arange a play date with this game, but haven't been able to find a time to get together yet.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

I'm not enjoying NSMBW, but I loved Galaxy.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

I liked New Super Mario Bros better.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Not even close, SMG is in a different league.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I don't know yet. I like both styles. It's comparing apples with oranges. I'll answer the question when I'll getNSMB this week. I know I'll like it.Thereturn of the Koopa Kids made me nostalgic.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

They are both different experiences and thus, hard to compare outright. As a purely video game head to head comparision though, SMG hands down. It was intended to be a blockbuster and is considered one the best games this gen, for countless reasons. I doubt NSMBWii will win any GOTY awards or have the same impact SMG did.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy for everything except difficulty and multiplayer.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Well, that depends on how you look at it. Galaxy is a much better 3D game than NSMBW is a 2D game, but if you prefer old school to new school then chances are you'll prefer the the 2D game.
899popk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 899popk
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I like NSMB ,but it isn't as good as SMG .You just don't have the same great feeling when you are playing.The 3d,gravity-bending,adventure just can't be beat
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well out of the 3 mario games those being new super mario bros superp aper mario and mario galaxy

i think they all are equally good , in their own way

each is unique

for example in spm -you can switch from 2d to 3d in galaxy your in space , then in nsmb you can use powerups etc like in the original 3 , and is more better ,

i dont see how mariogalaxys levels arent organized i tihnk their good designs , ,

it set the bar for platformers

and galaxy 2 would like to continue on that path by adding yoshi etc

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#37 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Both amazing games, but I rank Super Mario Galaxy right underneath Super Mario Bros. 3. NSMBW doesn't even make my top five.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Galaxy is the better game, but for me personally, I enjoy NSMBWii more.
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
lol Galaxy
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
[QUOTE="alphamale1989"]NSMBW is much more formulaic than Super Mario Galaxy. Sure some of the level design ideas were original, and the muliplayer is a first for the series, but aside from that if you've played the other "Mario Bros" to death you probably won't find much new. Galaxy, on the other hand, had some really exciting and new concepts. Also it managed to pull off a hybrid between traditional 3D platforming and a more linear style. The level design, the music, and the boss fights were all spectacular. For me Galaxy is among the greatest games of all time and very few games can really compare.

I agree with alphamale.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Galaxy by Far. Don't like NSMBW ever since I found out Yoshi doesn't follow you, and if you get an extra item, you can't save it. I still remember being upset when I saw Yoshi wave bye. I beat that level 3 times to try and find a way to bringn Yoshi. Why Nintendo! WHY!!!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

galaxy is a 60hour game to complete 100% at least thats how much i played...

nsmbwii only took me 25hours... for its length nsmbwii is better but you cant deny the fact that galaxy is a better game.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Galaxy all the way. The graphics, music, and gameplay all had me going "wow".
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
Galaxy. Though NSMBW was very fun to play with freinds, and really tough during World 9.
HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
galaxy 'cause I like 3d platformers more than 2d platformers
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

I haven't played that game yet but for a 2D game it'll be imposible to top SMG, my top game of all time lol, not saying 2D doesn't stand a chance, just that it is way harder to make a 2D masterpiece. Also, hours played don't matter for me in this case, it's only up to level design, since the physics are perfected since NSMB on DS.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Well... I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. Wiimore than SMG, but that's just because I like 2D platformers more than 3D ones. :P

xTpux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xTpux
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts

I don't really know, I haven't played much of New Super Mario Bros and I have never played Super Mario Galaxy. But it looks appealing. (atleast the new one coming out)

peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

I like them both, but ejoy NSMB more because I can play it with my friends, and I can be the blue toad :P I didn't liked Mario Galaxy much because the soundtrak felt kind of sad and lonely, and i never knew who the girl on the book was. I still doubt if it's Princess Peach or Rossalina.

BuckenBerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BuckenBerry
Member since 2010 • 58 Posts

I guess it depends a bit on the Impact each game had when released.

For me, its Super Mario Galaxy is still better with its beautiful graphics, superb soundtrack and sheer content. Thats not to say NSMB Wii didn't have those things but when Galaxy first came out, my mind was completely blown. When NSMB Wii was released, I had a lot of fun but the impact died away. Both are amazing games though. :D