• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

Why didnt it came out for WII? I think it is one of the best nintendo franchises.

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#2 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

You're not the only one wondering where it is. One of these days Nintendo will give in. :)

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

I prefer the Sin and Punishment game(s).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Why didnt it came out for WII? I think it is one of the best nintendo franchises.

Brazucass
it makes no sense to me either. However I do find it a bit a sad that we all want it to be a game like the one way back on the 64. They should have topped themselves with that franchise by now.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Apparently titles like Starfox just arent big enough to be developed, not when they could be making another mario platformer for the Wii (already at 3), something that would guarente big sales.

Thats what I've concluded after arguing it out with a few ppl,

"Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario."

G-dorf11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G-dorf11
Member since 2009 • 811 Posts

I prefer the Sin and Punishment game(s).

Shy_Guy_Red

My thoughts exactly.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Apparently titles like Starfox just arent big enough to be developed, not when they could be making another mario platformer for the Wii (already at 3), something that would guarente big sales.

"Its common business sense to give consumers what they want. A few people in a forum ranting about how they want a new Star Fox or Donkey Kong != people in the real world who want more Mario."

kenakuma

I did not say that Starfox wasn't big enough to be developed. If that was the case, then there would be no Punch Out or Sin and Punishment 2, as thoese two aren't really blockbuster hits.

Your argument was that there shouldn't be 3 Mario platformers in one gen, on one console and I refuted that argument saying that its good business decision to release a Mario game as long as fans crave for it. My point was entirely based on a business decision comparing Mario and Starfox. In which case, Mario would win, because, of course, Mario sells. That's not to say that Nintendo should not create a new Starfox game. But as I said before, it is a wise business decision to release Mario as long as there is a demand for it(which again, you were saying Nintendo should not do.)

A new Starfox game will come eventually. If not, go play S&P2 or whatever else Nintendo will announce at E3.

The console's lifespan isn't over as yet, just wait.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I´m waiting for a Zelda game right now :D

but I could use a Star Fox game :)

its_a_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 its_a_username
Member since 2009 • 598 Posts

I´m waiting for a Zelda game right now :D

but I could use a Star Fox game :)

unrealtron

AGREED!

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

Shottayouth13-

I did not say that Starfox wasn't big enough to be developed. If that was the case, then there would be no Punch Out or Sin and Punishment 2, as thoese two aren't really blockbuster hits.

Your argument was that there shouldn't be 3 Mario platformers in one gen, on one console and I refuted that argument saying that its good business decision to release a Mario game as long as fans crave for it. My point was entirely based on a business decision comparing Mario and Starfox. In which case, Mario would win, because, of course, Mario sells. That's not to say that Nintendo should not create a new Starfox game. But as I said before, it is a wise business decision to release Mario as long as there is a demand for it(which again, you were saying Nintendo should not do.)

A new Starfox game will come eventually. If not, go play S&P2 or whatever else Nintendo will announce at E3.

The console's lifespan isn't over as yet, just wait.

^Thats basically saying starfox isn't big enough compared to games like mario.

But yeah I get your point, no need to express it any more :P

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Japanese audience dont' like Starfox?...that's one of the reasons mentioned *in anohter StarFox Wii topic*. Basically if it doesn't do well in Japan it won't be considered/priority -> Nintendo Japan is bias/racist. :P

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Well of course more people buy Mario games than StarFox. Nintendo spends a lot more resources and time on Zelda and Mario games into giant gaming experiences. Its because they ALWAYS make their main Zelda and Mario games top notch quality. However they do not give this treatment to other franchises...ever. Why, then, would it be surprising that the other games sell less? If Nintendo made an extremely high quality game of another franchise that they put comparable time and resources into, I'm sure it would sell comparatively well. Mario is a household name....and a lot of it has to do with the mostly high quality of his titles.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

kenakuma
Nintendo franchises have been so successful over the years because they space out releases and they do not spam them. Make Mario games, make Zelda, games, but do not ignore other IPs just because some are more successful. This is not Coca Cola or something, this is electronic entertainment.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Sin and Punishment 2 is the closest thing. Check that out.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Japanese audience dont' like Starfox?...that's one of the reasons mentioned *in anohter StarFox Wii topic*. Basically if it doesn't do well in Japan it won't be considered/priority -> Nintendo Japan is bias/racist. :P

maxgil2
Its not only Japan unfortunately. Look at TP, it got next to no support from Japan and still sold what, 7 million copies? If Star Fox could do that, me thinks it would be a very high priority. But it is not a franchise that can simply absorb the lack of support of an entire market territory in addition to a general lack of interest in the other territories. But I expect it to come at some point, I mean they tossed out Sin and Punishment as a gift title, why not Star Fox. oh and lol at another "but teh Star Fox" topic :P
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedude-

There is no audience for bad Star Fox games. There is a huge audience for good Star Fox games. We really have not had a clear cut good Star Fox since the N64 which sold over 4 million.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Brazucass

I dedicated an entire blog to this not that long ago. My conclusion is that I don't think it is coming at all for the Wii. This is one case where I hope I am wrong though!

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

thedude-

Nintendo franchises have been so successful over the years because they space out releases and they do not spam them. Make Mario games, make Zelda, games, but do not ignore other IPs just because some are more successful. This is not Coca Cola or something, this is electronic entertainment.

Thank you, thats what I've been saying all along!

Heres to "the dude"! Awesome movie btw, every forumn needs a " the dude"!

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="kenakuma"]

kenakuma

Thank you, thats what I've been saying all along!

Heres to "the dude"! Awesome movie btw, every forumn needs a " the dude"!

It is a classic. BTW every forum needs a Ryu as well. ;)
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Nintendo has a load of franchises yet only Mario, Metroid and The Legend of Zelda have been getting the spotlight. Great franchises, but some diversification would be nice.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i always forget to quote a very suspicious phrase by a certain "Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto" that appeared on a recent edition of the NGamer magazine... "i'm a fan of starfox. we still try to make them more enjoyable and hope that people like it" translation? "don't give up hope yet"
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts
unfortunately the starfox IP has taken a bit of a beating from the GC. ninty didnt make either of those games and both rare and namco made a bit of a hash of it. adventures was ok...but it wasnt starfox..it was more zelda. technically a very good game mind (rare always managed to squeez out great visuals out of ninty hardware). as for namco...well it was grand.....when it wasnt on ruddy foot. unfortunately it was on foot most of the time. imho its time to bring the IP in and completly rebuild it. a BSG style remake (ie if its not making the fans enraged..your not doing it right :P). scrap the talking animals for a start and make the game more like a hybrid of crimson skies and freelancer. use WM+ to control your arwing and have a big star system to explore freely (though enemy difficulty would change depending on where you are). since fox and co are a mercenary company...play on that and allow the player to take on odd jobs/side quests to make money and also have an interesting main campaign (inevitably involving the venom system).
nintenjoe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nintenjoe3
Member since 2010 • 385 Posts

If we all send enough emails, even a link to this page, then maybe they will make one

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Personally I'm not too keen to see it pop up on the wii ... every installment of starfox since the N64 so far has been ... well ruined by nintendo and various devs fiddling with the formula and just ignoring the wise old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it" I'd be more excited to see star wing on the virtual console rather than a new one (thats the original star fox as it was known in the UK)

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kenakuma

It is a classic. BTW every forum needs a Ryu as well. ;)thedude-

Thats why I've had this avatar since like 06 and never plan on changing it!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="thedude-"]It is a classic. BTW every forum needs a Ryu as well. ;)kenakuma

despite your name being "ken akuma" :lol:
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"]It is a classic. BTW every forum needs a Ryu as well. ;)BrunoBRS

despite your name being "ken akuma" :lol:

I wanted to go for RyuKen but that was taken unfortunatly :(

It all worked out in a kinda cool ironic way!

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thedude-

Someone said it earlier, you need diversity. Otherwise Mario, Zelda, and Metroid become a crutch.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing Brazucass. =/ I loved the StarFox series.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Someone said it earlier, you need diversity. Otherwise Mario, Zelda, and Metroid become a crutch.

thedude-

That would be me. I am awesome.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

If we all send enough emails, even a link to this page, then maybe they will make one

nintenjoe3
lets do it!!! next we can do Kirby...
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thedude-

nintenjoe3
Ya I am sure that will work. Just as soon as they release Mother in the West.
1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

Well of course more people buy Mario games than StarFox. Nintendo spends a lot more resources and time on Zelda and Mario games into giant gaming experiences. Its because they ALWAYS make their main Zelda and Mario games top notch quality. However they do not give this treatment to other franchises...ever. Why, then, would it be surprising that the other games sell less? If Nintendo made an extremely high quality game of another franchise that they put comparable time and resources into, I'm sure it would sell comparatively well. Mario is a household name....and a lot of it has to do with the mostly high quality of his titles.TheLordMagnus

Good point. It's also because Nintendo has another company work on Star Fox games like Rare and Namco. If they were to make another Star Fox, they would probably have another developer to work on that. However, the Star Fox fans have always wanted another game like Star Fox 64, and it looks as though ever developer since then has done different ideas and concepts that disappoint them. Would you rather want another Star Fox if it wasn't going to be in the same classic direction like before?

If and when they make a Star Fox game, I wouldn't be surprised if they still not use the 64 formula. I hope not though.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingdavid562
[QUOTE="nintenjoe3"]

thedude-

why do you have to be so negative... be positive : )
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#35 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

i wonder why also. i thought it was dumb for them to end the series on the ds( personally i thought starfox:command sucked) but they are giving the mario, zelda, and metroid games all the spotlight. we really need a star fox game. hell we really need a f-zero, kirby, and earthbound game on the wii as well.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingdavid562

i wonder why also. i thought it was dumb for them to end the series on the ds( personally i thought starfox:command sucked) but they are giving the mario, zelda, and metroid games all the spotlight. we really need a star fox game. hell we really need a f-zero, kirby, and earthbound game on the wii as well.

bigmouthkid

i agree...

i love zelda and mario but i realy am not that exited for the new zelda or mario...

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="nintenjoe3"]

kingdavid562

Or I can be realistic.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sepewrath

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

Hexagon_777

I am awesome.

I...disagree. But seriously its funny when people say its always Mario, Metroid and Zelda. They seem to ignore things like Wii Sports, the Excite series, Warioland, Wario Ware, Endless Ocean, Punchout, Smash, Kart, Pikmin, Sin & Punishment and Kid Icarus may have been in the works. Its only Mario and Zelda only because its not the particular series that THEY want. Just because they want F-Zero and its a no show so far, Nintendo is only focusing on 3 series.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedude-
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

Sepewrath

I am awesome.

I...disagree. But seriously its funny when people say its always Mario, Metroid and Zelda. They seem to ignore things like Wii Sports, the Excite series, Warioland, Wario Ware, Endless Ocean, Punchout, Smash, Kart, Pikmin, Sin & Punishment and Kid Icarus may have been in the works. Its only Mario and Zelda only because its not the particular series that THEY want. Just because they want F-Zero and its a no show so far, Nintendo is only focusing on 3 series.

Your forget that Star Fox, F-Zero, and esp. DK were almost as big as the big three. All those other franchises are much less popular with Mario Kart and SSB being sub franchises of Mario. When you lose 3 franchises that big for that long people are going to start wondering.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
lol get real, the only one of those three that is close is DK, but his stature has been diminished over the years since Nintendo has made him a crash test dummy and serial guest star since DK64.
1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

I just realized a while ago that today is the 17th anniversary of the first Star Fox. Go figure.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingdavid562

[QUOTE="kingdavid562"][QUOTE="thedude-"] Ya I am sure that will work. Just as soon as they release Mother in the West. thedude-

Or I can be realistic.

u never know....(i try not to let ur negativity rub of on me)

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

I am awesome.

thedude-

Your forget that Star Fox, F-Zero, and esp. DK were almost as big as the big three. All those other franchises are much less popular with Mario Kart and SSB being sub franchises of Mario. When you lose 3 franchises that big for that long people are going to start wondering.

As a life long fan of Nintendo since the NES, I can safely say you are wrong asserting that F-Zero and Starfox were nearly as big as the "Big Three". Hell, Metroid isn't even as big as Mario or Zelda.

Starfox started big because it was one of the if not the first home console games that had actual polygons rendered onscreen. It was a great game as well. Starfox 64 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of the series, and even then, neither had the high critical acclaim the "big three" has had. Both are considered great games regardless.

As a huge F-Zero fan, the original had the novelty of displaying "Mode 7" graphics for the first time. It still wasn't that big in the sales region despite it being a great game. F-Zero GX is still my favorite racing game but it too lacked commercial and critical(compared to the "big three")success.

The DKC series was big because the novelty of "pre-rendered" graphics which were cutting edge at the time. Not to take away from the games themselves(which I absolutely loved), but not since then or the original Donkey Kong game has DK ever been both commercially or critically successful.

Even today, Metroid doesn't sell that well compared to Mario or their biggest franchises.

Bottom line, I truly believe Nintendo is simply giving us what we want the MOST. A new Zelda, a sequel to arguably the greatest game of this gen(SMG), and a new Metroid that is really different from any traditional Metroid that has come before.

But like Seperath has already stated that is very obvious, you and everyone taking the "Nintendo is copping out" view have ignored the fact that a new Punch-Out, Fire Emblem, new Sin & Punishment, under development Pikmin, Exicte series and Wario Land games, ALL NON "BIG THREE" NINTENDO FRANCHISES FROM NINTENDO"S STORIED HISTORY, has seen a revival of some sorts. What am I missing here?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"] I...disagree. But seriously its funny when people say its always Mario, Metroid and Zelda. They seem to ignore things like Wii Sports, the Excite series, Warioland, Wario Ware, Endless Ocean, Punchout, Smash, Kart, Pikmin, Sin & Punishment and Kid Icarus may have been in the works. Its only Mario and Zelda only because its not the particular series that THEY want. Just because they want F-Zero and its a no show so far, Nintendo is only focusing on 3 series.FFCYAN

As a life long fan of Nintendo since the NES, I can safely say you are wrong asserting that F-Zero and Starfox were nearly as big as the "Big Three". Hell, Metroid isn't even as big as Mario or Zelda.

Starfox started big because it was one of the if not the first home console games that had actual polygons rendered onscreen. It was a great game as well. Starfox 64 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of the series, and even then, neither had the high critical acclaim the "big three" has had. Both are considered great games regardless.

As a huge F-Zero fan, the original had the novelty of displaying "Mode 7" graphics for the first time. It still wasn't that big in the sales region despite it being a great game. F-Zero GX is still my favorite racing game but it too lacked commercial and critical(compared to the "big three")success.

The DKC series was big because the novelty of "pre-rendered" graphics which were cutting edge at the time. Not to take away from the games themselves(which I absolutely loved), but not since then or the original Donkey Kong game has DK ever been both commercially or critically successful.

Even today, Metroid doesn't sell that well compared to Mario or their biggest franchises.

Bottom line, I truly believe Nintendo is simply giving us what we want the MOST. A new Zelda, a sequel to arguably the greatest game of this gen(SMG), and a new Metroid that is really different from any traditional Metroid that has come before.

But like Seperath has already stated that is very obvious, you and everyone taking the "Nintendo is copping out" view have ignored the fact that a new Punch-Out, Fire Emblem, new Sin & Punishment, under development Pikmin, Exicte series and Wario Land games, ALL NON "BIG THREE" NINTENDO FRANCHISES FROM NINTENDO"S STORIED HISTORY, has seen a revival of some sorts. What am I missing here?

I said almost as big as in bigger than the games that you think are suitable substitutes. DK64 was huge. Selling over 5 million. See Nintendo does not have that second tier anymore without games like DK and Star Fox being good. You keep mentioning these novelty visual styles like first time polygon rendering, mode 7 and such but those features are not what made the series, they were just cool features that were part of the series. You are missing a lot... Pikmin, Excite, Fire Emblem were not as big of a deal as DK, Star Fox, and even F-Zero to an extent. Now that we do not have DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero and proper devs to support them some fans are feeling the library gap. Because of the lack of success from their lower franchises Nintendo is just planning on releasing the next iterations of franchises that are guaranteed success. Now I guess this is not that big of a problem IF Nintendo can release these games sometime this generation and make them good. You may think Nintendo does not need to do anything more since Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have been so successful this generation, but think long term and you will see the problem of drying the well.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kenakuma

See Nintendo does not have that second tier anymore without games like DK and Star Fox being good. thedude-

That pretty much sums up how I feel about this subject.

Myself (along with many many other ninty gamers) feel like the only ninty titles were always waiting on are the huge ones like mario/zelda/metroid at this point, and those games can take years for release!

What happened to the 2nd tier? Wheres the middle ground to hold us over? I know 3rd party's are suppossed to fill this gap for the most part but they obviously arent doing a great job at it...

Throw us some semi-huge games like kirby, starfox, f zero, wave race, pikmin, dk, pilot wings, ect, a few times a year! These games are big enough to keep us entertained for months but dont take away from the major releases like mario and zelda.

I know ninty used to be like this because as a company they would obviously want consistent software sales but when you look at the bigger picture this gen the "wii" games really have filled in those software sale spots with the millions their selling so ninty dosent really need to rely on the 2nd tier core games as much imo for sales.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS
*quotes self*[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i always forget to quote a very suspicious phrase by a certain "Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto" that appeared on a recent edition of the NGamer magazine... "i'm a fan of starfox. we still try to make them more enjoyable and hope that people like it" translation? "don't give up hope yet"

i thought this piece of info is rather important to a discussion like this one, and since nobody noticed, i'm pointing it out again :P
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#47 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am pretty sure it will come eventually. This generation is far from over.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I said almost as big as in bigger than the games that you think are suitable substitutes. DK64 was huge. Selling over 5 million. See Nintendo does not have that second tier anymore without games like DK and Star Fox being good. You keep mentioning these novelty visual **** like first time polygon rendering, mode 7 and such but those features are not what made the series, they were just cool features that were part of the series.

DCK, played today, would not have had the same impact it did, like the novelties I mentioned, because those were what brought those said games their bigggest strengths. You can't seriously tell me the cutting edge graphics didn't play a part in that game's massive appeal. Those graphics were the main selling point. DK never had the draw power Mario had before then. Think about it, did Donkey Kong have anything going on before Donkey Kong Country came out? Not really.

To F-Zero's credit, it did give birth to the futuristic racer genre and Starfox was a cool evolution in rail shooters like Space Harrier, but anticipating those games back then before they came out, I really was most excited Starfox was giving us real poygons and I'm sure that was a feeling many had when it first released. I know you are saying these games were great and I already agreed they are having played them all, but my point is still valid that these games really benefited from being cutting edge. I was there. Mode 7 and the Super FX chip were a big deal back then. It helped those games sell.

You are missing a lot... Pikmin, Excite, Fire Emblem were not as big of a deal as DK, Star Fox, and even F-Zero to an extent. Now that we do not have DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero and proper devs to support them some fans are feeling the library gap.

As in Starfox, F-Zero and DK fans are mad they didn't get a new game. Obviously. Well, what about the Pikmin fans? ? Well, what about them? There aren't as many Pikmin fans as say, Starfox. **** them. They are not big franchises so whatever, right? If Nintendo didn't annouced a Pikmin game and said they were making a Starfox game instead, this thread would still exist, only the title would be, uh...Pikmin. What about ol' Punch-Out fans that have been waiting for a new games since 1994? Sin & Punishment didn't even have major fanbase until the success of the Virtual Console release of a game that never saw North America before the VC. Due to the sales of that game on the VC, Nintendo assumed that what we wanted to see, hence production of S&P 2.

Because of the lack of success from their lower franchises Nintendo is just planning on releasing the next iterations of franchises that are guaranteed success. Now I guess this is not that big of a problem IF Nintendo can release these games sometime this generation and make them good.

Why would Nintendo bother with Pikmin if Pikmin isn't even second tier, like you said? S&P is a fairly obscure hit, what's the point of a sequel when something like Nintendogs Wii would satisfy this irrational conclusion Nintendo is playing this gen super safe and desperate now?

You may think Nintendo does not need to do anything more since Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have been so successful this generation, but think long term and you will see the problem of drying the well.

I know you are not referring to money, as Nintendo's well overflowed and has made a huge lake from the well spot. My only conclusion from all this is certain fans are pissed there is no new game for whatever series they love, which you could blame Nintendo for for making so many beloved franchises to begin with. That doesn't mean they now HAVE TO make a new this or that for every single console release they do. Punch-Out fans waited, why can't Starfox fans stop being selfish?

Speaking on thelong term, DK, Starfox and F-Zero did not help Nintendo claim dominace in the N64 era, Gamecube era and certainly not the Wii era. I don't know where you or anyone else is going with all this...thedude-

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"]

I said almost as big as in bigger than the games that you think are suitable substitutes. DK64 was huge. Selling over 5 million. See Nintendo does not have that second tier anymore without games like DK and Star Fox being good. You keep mentioning these novelty visual **** like first time polygon rendering, mode 7 and such but those features are not what made the series, they were just cool features that were part of the series.

DCK, played today, would not have had the same impact it did, like the novelties I mentioned, because those were what brought those said games their bigggest strengths. You can't seriously tell me the cutting edge graphics didn't play a part in that game's massive appeal. Those graphics were the main selling point. DK never had the draw power Mario had before then. Think about it, did Donkey Kong have anything going on before Donkey Kong Country came out? Not really.

To F-Zero's credit, it did give birth to the futuristic racer genre and Starfox was a cool evolution in rail shooters like Space Harrier, but anticipating those games back then before they came out, I really was most excited Starfox was giving us real poygons and I'm sure that was a feeling many had when it first released. I know you are saying these games were great and I already agreed they are having played them all, but my point is still valid that these games really benefited from being cutting edge. I was there. Mode 7 and the Super FX chip were a big deal back then. It helped those games sell.

You are missing a lot... Pikmin, Excite, Fire Emblem were not as big of a deal as DK, Star Fox, and even F-Zero to an extent. Now that we do not have DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero and proper devs to support them some fans are feeling the library gap.

As in Starfox, F-Zero and DK fans are mad they didn't get a new game. Obviously. Well, what about the Pikmin fans? ? Well, what about them? There aren't as many Pikmin fans as say, Starfox. **** them. They are not big franchises so whatever, right? If Nintendo didn't annouced a Pikmin game and said they were making a Starfox game instead, this thread would still exist, only the title would be, uh...Pikmin. What about ol' Punch-Out fans that have been waiting for a new games since 1994? Sin & Punishment didn't even have major fanbase until the success of the Virtual Console release of a game that never saw North America before the VC. Due to the sales of that game on the VC, Nintendo assumed that what we wanted to see, hence production of S&P 2.

Because of the lack of success from their lower franchises Nintendo is just planning on releasing the next iterations of franchises that are guaranteed success. Now I guess this is not that big of a problem IF Nintendo can release these games sometime this generation and make them good.

Why would Nintendo bother with Pikmin if Pikmin isn't even second tier, like you said? S&P is a fairly obscure hit, what's the point of a sequel when something like Nintendogs Wii would satisfy this irrational conclusion Nintendo is playing this gen super safe and desperate now?

You may think Nintendo does not need to do anything more since Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have been so successful this generation, but think long term and you will see the problem of drying the well.

I know you are not referring to money, as Nintendo's well overflowed and has made a huge lake from the well spot. My only conclusion from all this is certain fans are pissed there is no new game for whatever series they love, which you could blame Nintendo for for making so many beloved franchises to begin with. That doesn't mean they now HAVE TO make a new this or that for every single console release they do. Punch-Out fans waited, why can't Starfox fans stop being selfish?

Speaking on thelong term, DK, Starfox and F-Zero did not help Nintendo claim dominace in the N64 era, Gamecube era and certainly not the Wii era. I don't know where you or anyone else is going with all this...FFCYAN

I was there as well and I am not denying that those were big gimmicks for those games. Not denying it all, what I am contesting was that their critical and commercial success relies solely on those gimmicks and the time they were in. Because it did not at all. DKC was had pre-rendered graphics then the N64 came around and they made a 3d platformer that stood on its own merit. The only problem after that was there were no follow up games to this. F-Zero had Mode 7 then F-Zero GX comes around and is an amazing racer (its only problem was bad marketing). Star Fox was one of the first 3d games, but Star Fox 64 was in an era filled with 3d games and it did even better, furthermore games like Warhawk and Rogue Squadron highlight was COULD be done with future Star Fox. The only problem being recent games have sucked. Pikmin and Punch-Out!! are much smaller franchises. It can sell over a million maybe. Star Fox, DK, and to a much lesser extent F-Zero used to be the second tier. Selling over 2, 3, 4 million. Exceeding the likes of franchises like God of War. As someone said the middle ground is lost. Then due to lack of care and lack of releases that ceased to exist. I am not making this huge stink just to appease each of these ignored franchises fans, but rather the overall long term success of Nintendo and the health of their IPs. Nintendo is using the current dominance of their big franchise as a crutch. What should they do in the next 2 years? Make a 3rd iteration of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. The point of making a second tier game is to not wear out the top selling franchises, to use other developers in the industry, and to expand/diversify. Punch-Out waited because it is a smaller franchise and who says it has to be mutually exclusive??? They could have released another Punch-Out on previous consoles. No they do not HAVE to release a game every generation, but they HAVE to do something when they start relying so heavily on 3 franchises. Nintendo is doing well and I never said they weren't, but its the long term I am talking about. When you start downsizing your IPs and start struggling to make these other franchises successful (DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero) you have a major problem. Its not just to appease fans. Exactly--DK, Star Fox, and F-Zero all went south in the GC era. There were ALWAYS droughts between the big releases. The GC struggled with this all generation. Nintendo went a different direction on Wii and started new mainstream IPs like Wii Sports and Wii Fit which is a whole different can of beans. The absence or mishandling of these franchises on GC brought about a total lack of balance and flow of releases.
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
Well if they don't use the starfox franchise they might as well sell it to someone that would use it..and for its full potential. But,I've been waiting for new starfox game since 07' still nothing!......and How many mario games we have already had between that time period 3!!! >.> Eventually Mario will get old with the same formula.So I don't know how to anwser your question.