So now that games are tied to IDs...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

If I currently have a game on the Wii U, can I download it on the Switch without having to buy it again?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

It would be the least Nintendo can do for those who supported the Wii U through its short lifetime. Then again, MK8 Deluxe is coming to Switch, not sure if they would've done that if you could download your old Wii U games on the Switch...

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Wouldnt MK8 Deluxe be considered a different game then MK8 because of all the changes and future dlc?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@Black96Z: Not if you already own the original. There is less new content compared to the original DLC on the Wii U, which I payed €12 for. No way in hell I will pay another €60 for the same and a little bit extra.

Nintendo would be wise to give MK8 owners a discount on a digital MK8 Deluxe download at least.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

If I currently have a game on the Wii U, can I download it on the Switch without having to buy it again?

Not gonna happen, that way I could acquire the games I've already sold for Switch money.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Not gonna happen, that way I could acquire the games I've already sold for Switch money.

I think he means digital users. But yeah, us physical users are out of luck. Its impossible to reward physical users.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
@Epak_ said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I think he means digital users. But yeah, us physical users are out of luck. Its impossible to reward physical users.

It's not really impossible, it would just require some "being nice to customers". They could say you just need to have played the physical game at least once before 2017 or something like that. They did something similar with the Gears or Wars remake where you just had to play the physical game to get access to the digital download of the original

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@ArchoNils2: But they have no proof you played the games. They arent tied to your account.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@ArchoNils2: But they have no proof you played the games. They arent tied to your account.

I guess there would be a way if they really wanted. They could even just say everyone gets it cheap who bought the two major DLC packs with their Nintendo ID

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Sgt_Crow said:

@Black96Z: Not if you already own the original. There is less new content compared to the original DLC on the Wii U, which I payed €12 for. No way in hell I will pay another €60 for the same and a little bit extra.

Nintendo would be wise to give MK8 owners a discount on a digital MK8 Deluxe download at least.

For anyone that is a fan of battle mode, it's pretty much a new game. Battle mode is one half of the Mario Kart experience and this mode was terrible on the Wii U, but it looks like Nintendo is finally giving people the kind of battle mode that they wanted in the Switch version.

The much improved battle mode alone is easily worth $60 to me even though I already own the Wii U version.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
@Epak_ said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Yeah, I meant digital games. I currently have Super Dodge Ball on the Wii U and would love to play on the Switch, but not if I have to pay for it all over again.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@Sgt_Crow: That's unrealistic, all the upgrades and re-release done this past gen, how many of them were given away for free or even at a discount? Its a typical generational port, a few technical upgrades, a new mode and all DLC and will come in at full price--no different than GTA V, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider and so on.

As far as getting back the digital games, they are listed on the Nintendo account, but there is no guarantee those games work on Switch at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#13 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

first it isn't confirmed yet that digital games are now tied to your account and not the system. They are thinking about it but it is far from implemented according to the interview you can find on the first page of GS.

Also ... all remaster didn't give anything for anyone who bought the game and buy it again. Also the games won't be less expensive in 6 years so