So I was looking to start playing Metroid games...

Avatar image for SilverBlade1805
SilverBlade1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SilverBlade1805
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

Hello people and as you read,I was looking to get started on the series known as Metroid.Surprising that I have rarely played any Metroid games if any isn't it? Well yeah I know but because of that I'd like for you guys to recommend some titles in the franchise.Anyways thanks in advance for all the answers.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It's really not that surprising, actually. Metroid isn't that popular. :P

If you have a Wii U, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGHLY recommend getting Metroid Prime Trilogy from the eShop on the 29th. $10 for 3 of the best games of the last decade? It's a steal.

If you want something that follows the classic 2D Metroid gameplay, Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid are available on the Wii U eShop, and the original Metroid and Metroid II is on the 3DS eShop.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Start with Prime Trilogy and if you like it go back and play Super Metroid. Metroid is probably my all time favorite series. I've been playing Metroid since the 80's. Super Metroid is one of the best 2d games ever created. Over the past 20 years not many games matched the greatness of Super Metroid.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Awesome!!

It's a great series. If you were around in the NES days and are cool with some of the quirks that came with NES games then starting with the very first Metroid that was on the NES is fine. It's pretty darn hard though and does not give you much direction on where to go. However, if you want to play one of the best games ever made, play Super Metroid on the SNES. It took everything great about the original Metroid and completely refined the formula. It still is difficult but the game aids you with a full map, more tools, and it looks and feels amazing.

The Metroid Primes are also amazing, especially the first one. And do what @ANIMEguy10034 says and buy the trilogy on the eShop this week if you have a WiiU. You'll never find it again for 10 bucks.

It's great you want to get into these games, they are really really good!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Skip the original Metroid. Find Zero Mission somewhere. From there, Super Metroid, Fusion, and as others have said, you owe it to yourself to grab Prime Trilogy while it's $10.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I'd say the best two to get your start on the series are either the Prime games (for reasons already outlined) or Fusion, because it's a little more story heavy than the others so its easier to get invested in the Metroid universe through it.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Skip the original Metroid. Find Zero Mission somewhere.

Well said! I always forget about Zero Mission.

@SilverBlade1805 If you didn't know, Zero Mission was a remake of the original. It was on the GBA and they basically took the original and made it better with a lot of the advancements that were in Super Metroid. Zero Mission is amazing.

Actually, just basically do everything that @darkspineslayer said to do! LOL

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

If you're new to the series, the question is do you prefer 2D or 3D? If you prefer 3D start with the Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's amazing.

If you prefer 2D, I would start with Super Metroid, although I prefer the original Metroid (Zero Mission is a remake of the original).

And don't be embarrassed or anything, Metroid is not that popular of a series in comparison to all the other Nintendo franchises. But it is amazing if it's your type of game.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Anything that isn't Other M will do.

And echoing the get the Prime trilogy thing.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

It's really not that surprising, actually. Metroid isn't that popular. :P

Lol ^ This guy wouldn't know popularity if it was right in front of his face oh wait, Metroid is :P lol

TC I recommend starting with Super Metroid then go to Metroid Fusion then Zero Mission then go to Metroid Prime Trilogy then if you're lucky enough to find it, play Metroid 2: Return of Samus.

Metroid is my top favorite Nintendo franchise. It's just an amazing series.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime Trilogy are musts. I'd start with Super Metroid.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Two starting points I'd recommend:
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime

Take your pick :)
Metroid Prime Trilogy is on Wii U and on special for half price. May as well jump on now!

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Two starting points I'd recommend:

Super Metroid

Metroid Prime

Take your pick :)

Metroid Prime Trilogy is on Wii U and on special for half price. May as well jump on now!

Bingo! If you're looking for a bit more 'actiony' 2D Metroid, Metroid Fusion is a good choice. Do not start with Metroid 1 or 2. Not newcomer friendly in the slightest, and honestly has not aged well.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I haven't played all of the games in the series. But Super Metroid was a pretty fine starting point for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-593f0dd1837f9
deactivated-593f0dd1837f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15 deactivated-593f0dd1837f9
Member since 2014 • 93 Posts

Depends on your taste, if you prefer 2D then i recommend getting Super Metroid on the WiiU Virtual Console. It's a fine game to get things started, i'm replaying it at the moment. If 3D is better suited, then i can't recommend the Metroid Prime Trilogy enough. 3 fantastic games rolled into one download (it is over 7gb to download, but so worth it). It's $10 on the e-shop, but if you prefer physical over digital then expect to pay in excess of $50