So about the next-gen Nintendo console after Wii U....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I know, a lot of you are going to say its too early to talk about the Wii U's successor which presumably comes out in 2017 or 2018 (Wii U was the only Nintendo console to ship, at least in America, 6 years after the last one instead of 5 years. NES 1986 --> SNES 1991 --> N64 1996 --> GCN 2001 --> Wii 2006)

What do you think it will be like? I imagine Nintendo will play another generation of catch up spec wise and could see the console having 8GB DDR3 memory, a quad-core or higher CPU close to 2Ghz but probably still not above it. Maybe 64GB flash memory since it will be cheap by 2017.

Do you believe the console/handheld hybrid talks? I don't personally. As nice as a home console with a library like the DS would be, I doubt Nintendo merges their consoles and handhelds, at least not until after a few more gens. 

What would you want the controller to be like? A better Wii U Game Pad? Or a return to Wii Remote with enhancements? Personally, while I'd love a newer improved Wii U Game Pad I wouldn't be against a traditional controller like the Pro Controller as the main input device.

Do you think it will keep using the Wii U's properitary disc format, maybe upping capacity from 25GB to 50GB-100GB? What about the CPU? Nintendo will likely stick with Intel but will they ditch the PowerPC set up? Will it be BC with Wii U content? 

I personally can see the next Nintendo home console dropping the Wii name and starting something else, also not playing games at 4K since I'm not sure 4KTVs will even take off by 2017

What do you guys think will happen with Nintendo's Wii U successor? All of this talk is meant for fun for those who like to discuss hypothetical scenarios so please don't take offense if you don't enjoy those types of discussions and leave this thread alone if you don't like it. Thanks.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

As usual Nintendo fill find a new concept and base a console around it.

And frankly The Gamepad with enhancements and enhancements to Wii mote are both welcome in my book ^_^

Specs wise, doesnt matter, Limitations + Nintendo = Gorgous looking games, its already outstanding how Mario Kart 8 looks more like PS4 racer than a PS3 so god knows when they get Hardware = or more to PS4 and Xbone 0_0

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
WOuld it be possible for NIntendo to have some type of add-on or expansion pack that could beef up the WiiU a bit? I'm just worried that waiting around another 5 or 6 years this generation is going to kill the WiiU. I know 3rd parties aren't everything but Nintendo is going to have less and less support as this gen goes on at this rate. I feel that the specs of the system have some to do with this. If games like the next Dragon Age, next Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XV cannot run on the WiiU, then I need another console along with my WiiU which will most likely be used to buy first party games only since there is pretty much no other game 3rd party-wise that interests me right now. I'm not a tech guy so I don't know how this would impact the architecture or ease of development or if it's even possible. Would be nice to see the WiiU on a level playing field though because it's a great machine.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bonesawisready5

WOuld it be possible for NIntendo to have some type of add-on or expansion pack that could beef up the WiiU a bit? I'm just worried that waiting around another 5 or 6 years this generation is going to kill the WiiU. I know 3rd parties aren't everything but Nintendo is going to have less and less support as this gen goes on at this rate. I feel that the specs of the system have some to do with this. If games like the next Dragon Age, next Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XV cannot run on the WiiU, then I need another console along with my WiiU which will most likely be used to buy first party games only since there is pretty much no other game 3rd party-wise that interests me right now. I'm not a tech guy so I don't know how this would impact the architecture or ease of development or if it's even possible. Would be nice to see the WiiU on a level playing field though because it's a great machine.roboccs

No, there is no way that (expansion) can or will ever happen

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Buy a Playstation 4. Add gimmick. You will have an idea of what the next generation Nintendo console will be like.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

More than likely it'd be a little better than a PS4 maybe 10Gb of ram :)

but what I'd like to see is a vastly improved gamepad with the ability to do VC portably.

it would be nice if Nintendo tried for a beast console again maybe call it Nintendo Cube5 (see what I did there )

7 years is a long time for Tech to improve. just look at phones and computers from 7 years ago

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

All we know about the next Home Console and Handheld Console from Nintendo after the Wii U and 3DS is they will have similar architecture. But from that last Nintendo Direct, Bill said "Sorry we dont have scratch and sniff over the internet" So thats a hint. The next systems will have scratch and sniff technology!!! Grenade goes off in a game your room smells like smoke, so forth lol.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

WOuld it be possible for NIntendo to have some type of add-on or expansion pack that could beef up the WiiU a bit? I'm just worried that waiting around another 5 or 6 years this generation is going to kill the WiiU. I know 3rd parties aren't everything but Nintendo is going to have less and less support as this gen goes on at this rate. I feel that the specs of the system have some to do with this. If games like the next Dragon Age, next Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XV cannot run on the WiiU, then I need another console along with my WiiU which will most likely be used to buy first party games only since there is pretty much no other game 3rd party-wise that interests me right now. I'm not a tech guy so I don't know how this would impact the architecture or ease of development or if it's even possible. Would be nice to see the WiiU on a level playing field though because it's a great machine.roboccs

Go get a Wii U dev kit. Theres quit abit more power in the Wii U then people think. Monolith Soft, Shin En have said that time and time again. Wii U can run all the games you mentioned. Western Devs are just lazy people who dont want to optimize their games on the Wii U.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

first they need to find a feature or gmmick or whatever that will catch peoples eyes and seperate itselfs from the twins.

the hardware itself...umm if the wiiu ends up selling really well after the new games come out then they might stick to their new method of making consoles.

in that case it will be 2 or 3 times powerful than a ps4.xboxone and will play all games 1080p 60fps....not sure what the ps5 and xboxtwo will be like in terms of power.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Too early but I'd like to see that hybrid platform that would unite their handhelds with home consoles.

I think the market would like to see a singular Nintendo platform rather than more of them.

It would benefit gamers too, as they wouldn't need to buy more platforms to play Nintendo games.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

next Nintendo system will be spec high enough to run *ALL* games ar 1080p @ 60fps...forget 4K unless that's becomes the mainstream which I doubt. Then again depends how Wii U is overall they may do the same like they with GC & release Wii...put Wii U on steroids & release that as their next system. Not sure about controller..I like the traditional controller set-up..but don't see the screen as anything great. :P

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

As usual Nintendo fill find a new concept and base a console around it.

And frankly The Gamepad with enhancements and enhancements to Wii mote are both welcome in my book ^_^

Specs wise, doesnt matter, Limitations + Nintendo = Gorgous looking games, its already outstanding how Mario Kart 8 looks more like PS4 racer than a PS3 so god knows when they get Hardware = or more to PS4 and Xbone 0_0

hotdiddykong

The funny thing is that Mario Kart games are typically not known for their graphical prowess.  So, imagine what a true 3D Mario, Zelda or Metroid will look like..

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Nintendo should open a PS4.  See the hardware in it and then double the specs of it for their next console.

masterninja9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 masterninja9
Member since 2013 • 203 Posts

Wii U will likely last longer than 6 years. Probably 8 at the max.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

This has been a long generation for Ps3 and 360. I think it will be another long one before Ps5 and NextBox. What worries me is the rumour of EA wanting to charge their games $80 for the next generation. Are games really needed to sell that much for a decent profit, or is EA just being their usual self? If it's the former, another videogame crash could possibly happen. Then Sony and Microsoft should drag the next generation as long as they can for the sake of costs. If Sony and Microsoft agree to make a new console in 7-8 years, Nintendo could make a new console in 5 years that is a bit better than the Ps4 and they will be in level ground for maybe 2-3 years. I'm very interested how this next generation is going to play out.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

^ either the marketing department is taking them for a ride OR they need to hire more of all rounder game developers - one who is good with art & programming..if you have to hire an artist & a programmer..then that's just really screwed up. :P Still can't believe Square Enix is disappointed with TR when it sold in the millions.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts
I think they should take it back to their SNES roots, with of course hd and cd's instead of cartridges haha
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo should tough it out for 4-5 years with the Wii U. Use this time to create a proper successor console for 2016-2017

For the 7th Home console. Nintendo should have a proper HDD and for Specs go for a minimum or twice the processor power of Xbox one/Playstation 4. Nintendo is unlikely to outmuscle the 5th Sony home console. and the 4th Microsoft home console. Both of them will likely go 4X - 8X the tech specs of PS4/Xbox one in 2017.

Nintendo would be wise to pull a Sony and use off the shelf PC parts for the 7th Nintendo. Sony took a huge hit creating the cell processor for the PS3 in 2006. Learned the way way. So this time Sony "off the shelf it" for PS4. Least costly than creating your own custom tech.

Nintendo could still use their version of "Blu-Ray" maybe by then Nintendo would have increased the storage capacity to 40GB-50GB by 2017.

Finally Nintendo should use a traditional controller. The Wii U pro controller should be the main controller of the 7th Nintendo. Which should have a brand new name without the Wii prefix. That backfired for the Big N in their attempt to continue branding for the Casuals market.

The Wii U looks to be headed for 10-12 million in total sales at this point. So the big N has had to learn a difficult lesson this round. But the 7th Nintendo should be better.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It wouldn't use DDR3.  It'd have to use something at least comparable to GDDR5 speeds, possibly DDR4 or DDR5 if we get that far.

It'd have more than 8 GB of memory, maybe 10 - 12.  The GPU would be about double the throughput of Ps4, just like Wii U comparable to last gen.  The CPU, who know's, they may try and continue the same damn architecture but this time they'd have to make a lot of improvements this time.  That architecture isn't even capable of hitting 2 GHZ, but it can have 8 core's.

---

That's what it'd be approximately but Wii U has just launched, so enjoy that...

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

[QUOTE="roboccs"]WOuld it be possible for NIntendo to have some type of add-on or expansion pack that could beef up the WiiU a bit? I'm just worried that waiting around another 5 or 6 years this generation is going to kill the WiiU. I know 3rd parties aren't everything but Nintendo is going to have less and less support as this gen goes on at this rate. I feel that the specs of the system have some to do with this. If games like the next Dragon Age, next Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XV cannot run on the WiiU, then I need another console along with my WiiU which will most likely be used to buy first party games only since there is pretty much no other game 3rd party-wise that interests me right now. I'm not a tech guy so I don't know how this would impact the architecture or ease of development or if it's even possible. Would be nice to see the WiiU on a level playing field though because it's a great machine.Master_Of_Fools

Go get a Wii U dev kit. Theres quit abit more power in the Wii U then people think. Monolith Soft, Shin En have said that time and time again. Wii U can run all the games you mentioned. Western Devs are just lazy people who dont want to optimize their games on the Wii U.

That's not a fair assessment. Crytek had Crysis 3 running on Wii U, but EA wouldn't release it. There are developers out there who are willing to optimize their games/engines for Wii U, if there is an install base big enough, or if their publisher will release the software.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonesawisready5

Nintendo should tough it out for 4-5 years with the Wii U. Use this time to create a proper successor console for 2016-2017

For the 7th Home console. Nintendo should have a proper HDD and for Specs go for a minimum or twice the processor power of Xbox one/Playstation 4. Nintendo is unlikely to outmuscle the 5th Sony home console. and the 4th Microsoft home console. Both of them will likely go 4X - 8X the tech specs of PS4/Xbox one in 2017.

Nintendo would be wise to pull a Sony and use off the shelf PC parts for the 7th Nintendo. Sony took a huge hit creating the cell processor for the PS3 in 2006. Learned the way way. So this time Sony "off the shelf it" for PS4. Least costly than creating your own custom tech.

Nintendo could still use their version of "Blu-Ray" maybe by then Nintendo would have increased the storage capacity to 40GB-50GB by 2017.

Finally Nintendo should use a traditional controller. The Wii U pro controller should be the main controller of the 7th Nintendo. Which should have a brand new name without the Wii prefix. That backfired for the Big N in their attempt to continue branding for the Casuals market.

The Wii U looks to be headed for 10-12 million in total sales at this point. So the big N has had to learn a difficult lesson this round. But the 7th Nintendo should be better.

Megavideogamer

The U will sell more than 12 million units over 5-7 years. Its doing bad but not that  bad. Its likely to move 1-2 million units during Nov/Dec each year in America alone.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 roboccs

the name sucks, the games suck, the specs suck.... the only thing that can change is the games stop sucking on the wii u

kingoflife9

:lol:

Just wow....

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bonesawisready5

the name sucks, the games suck, the specs suck.... the only thing that can change is the games stop sucking on the wii u

kingoflife9

So you came into a Wii U board to tell all the Wii U board users they're idiots why? To feel better about yourself?

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 roboccs
So you came into a Wii U board to tell all the Wii U board users they're idiots why? To feel better about yourself?bonesawisready5
Every time I see your sig I want Mario Kart 8. Game looks amazing in HD. Can't wait for it.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

It will probably have a heavily modified PowerPC 750 and an AMD GPU. Saying anything else is pure speculation.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Not saying they will, but I could see them using the strategy of a console that is both a home and portable console.

Portable gaming is by far Nintendo's strongest area.  Combining the two would be a good fit.  They could maintain their foothold on the handheld market and also have better third party support(3DS support is plentiful. Wii U not so much).  I think the technology will be there in 5-6 years for someone to pull it off.  It's practically there now.

drachir44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 drachir44
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I WOULDD LOVE THEEMM TO MERGE THEM!!

PICTURE THIS: youre playing nintendo cube5 at home, and your bros pick you up at home. your playing an online game so you dont want to exit. you turn on ur phones mobile hotspot and turn your gamepad on mobile mode: the gamepad will connect thru the internet to your home console. the home console will be on, doing all the processing, and just like the gamepad from now, itll just display it.

no need for another console for mobile, quite simply the gamepad will work as a wifi-connected controller. its genius, a home console wherever you can find internet connection. hey maybe the gamepad can even accept 3ds games and you can play them with a splitscreen on the gamepad, or play them in full 3d on ur 3dtv at home with the touchscreen on the gamepad.. OMG IM DROOLING <3

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Your entire post is moot as you are under the strange belief that Nintendo will start to buy the components for the system in 2017. Yes those things may be cheap in 2017 but they are already working on the new system and some of those things aren't cheap now.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#30 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@drachir44 said:

I WOULDD LOVE THEEMM TO MERGE THEM!!

PICTURE THIS: youre playing nintendo cube5 at home, and your bros pick you up at home. your playing an online game so you dont want to exit. you turn on ur phones mobile hotspot and turn your gamepad on mobile mode: the gamepad will connect thru the internet to your home console. the home console will be on, doing all the processing, and just like the gamepad from now, itll just display it.

no need for another console for mobile, quite simply the gamepad will work as a wifi-connected controller. its genius, a home console wherever you can find internet connection. hey maybe the gamepad can even accept 3ds games and you can play them with a splitscreen on the gamepad, or play them in full 3d on ur 3dtv at home with the touchscreen on the gamepad.. OMG IM DROOLING <3

Please, do not bump old threads.