So about the new Nintendo handheld...

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nex_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nex_Rex
Member since 2008 • 341 Posts
what features would you personally want to see it have?

Me personally, graphics that are better than N64 graphics, now pokemon could finally do something awesome :P
SolemnJedi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolemnJedi79
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts

The DS graphics are better than the N64..

Personally I'd like to see not a replacement for the DS, but a traditional, standard Gameboy style handheld, maybe with graphical capabilities equal to Gamecube.

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ECG_24
Member since 2008 • 1653 Posts

Personally I'd like to see not a replacement for the DS, but a traditional, standard Gameboy style handheld, maybe with graphical capabilities equal to Gamecube.

SolemnJedi79

Based on the sales of the DS, Nintendo is not gonna make a traditional handheld.

I would like internal memory for VC games as well as downloadable GB and GBA games. It makes sense that the next system would be comparable graphically to the GC, the games compared to the Wii would probably be similar to the difference between PSP and PS2. Widescreen is a must, it could also double as a PMP but would still be mainly games-focused.

The47ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The47ers
Member since 2004 • 398 Posts

SolemnJedi79

Equal to the GC? come on. lets get real.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
Yeah... Touch screen again... Maybe an analog stick... I think Nintendo can manage Gamecube graphics but if they do , they'll need a higher power battery. Larger screens, L1,L2,R1,R2., Tighter diagonal controls...
stooge55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stooge55
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

they should take away the gba slot and add a new slot that will play ds 2 games, maybe with better graphics

so you could play both ds and ds 2

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/05/telson-umpc-prototype-does-3d-without-the-goggles/

^This blew my mind when I saw it. It would be sweet if Nintendo implemented this sort of display for at least one of the screens on their next handheld. (I know, I'm reaching here)

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Nintendo is all about inovation these days. They will do something unexpected and will most likely be a hit.
Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Link9n17
Member since 2008 • 1491 Posts
Maybe it will have a "C stick" instead of a touch screen.
knightfire35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 knightfire35
Member since 2006 • 431 Posts
I think they will at least make one more new ds model before moving on to another handheld. I mean the ds is doing so well, why make a new system and risk screwing it up?
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts

I think they will at least make one more new ds model before moving on to another handheld. I mean the ds is doing so well, why make a new system and risk screwing it up?knightfire35

That's why I feel it is safe to assume that a new Nintendo handheld won't come along at least until the Wii's run ends.

thebeav3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thebeav3
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

SolemnJedi79

the ds's graphics arent better than the N64 if they were they wouldve made phantom hourglass more like ocarina of time

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ECG_24
[QUOTE="SolemnJedi79"]

thebeav3

the ds's graphics arent better than the N64 if they were they wouldve made phantom hourglass more like ocarina of time

No, it was a sequel to Wind Waker that's why the visual style was the way it was.

thebeav3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thebeav3
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
[QUOTE="thebeav3"][QUOTE="SolemnJedi79"]

ECG_24

No, it was a sequel to Wind Waker that's why the visual style was the way it was.

it still couldve been more 3d like wind waker and not top down

myols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 myols
Member since 2007 • 519 Posts

I want it to stay focused on gaming. Sure, it has an internet browser, Nintendo kind of gave into that trend. I simply don't want to see the next Nintendo handheld turn into a multi-media player in hopes of people buying it. No offense to the PSP, but that is what attracted most people I know to even consider buying one, not even for the games. If anything, the sales for the DS and DS Lite should show Nintendo to stick to a pure focused gaming handheld.

I would probably still buy the new handheld if they did make it into one, but only to keep playing the franchises I have loved for years. I would be pretty disappointed, but that is simply me.

Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
[QUOTE="ECG_24"][QUOTE="thebeav3"][QUOTE="SolemnJedi79"]

thebeav3

it still couldve been more 3d like wind waker and not top down

The fact that it is a top down game does not mean that the DS is less powerful. The game designers just wanted to make a top down game rather than a full-fledged 3D game.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThePlothole
Maybe it will have a "C stick" instead of a touch screen.Link9n17
That would be a downgrade IMO. The touch screen may not be perfect, but overall its more accurate than any analog stick.
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts

Nintendo isn't stupid. They will not get rid of touch controls.
GBA slot needs to get dumped.
An analog stick would be nice.
Graphics will definitely get better.
They can't ditch dual screens either...
It would be suicide in terms of appeal if they did, IMHO.

DJgummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 DJgummy
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts

I felt that Nintendo really did a great job designing the DS. I think they should keep the dual screens and touch screen but add:

1. an anolog stick

2. graphics equal to the Gamecube. The DS really should have been given the graphics of the N64 instead of its presently slightly inferior graphics.

3. Larger screens, possible as large as the PSP's screen.

4. Both screens are touch screens.

stewpidduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 stewpidduh
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
how about this?
ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ECG_24

how about this?stewpidduh

The analog stick needs to be on the other side so you can control the camera and movement. Other than that it's pretty ugly.

tim_aka_link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 tim_aka_link
Member since 2006 • 507 Posts

[QUOTE="stewpidduh"]how about this?ECG_24

The analog stick needs to be on the other side so you can control the camera and movement. Other than that it's pretty ugly.

seen it, and i think the idea of it is good but realistically, it wouldn't look visually appealing and the pocket size wouldn't actually fit in your pocket. It's too bulky for that.

vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts
Gamecube graphics, web browser, downloading stuff (like the Nintendo Channel and Virtual Console), motion sensing, and a massive hardrive.
ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ECG_24

Gamecube graphics, web browser, downloading stuff (like the Nintendo Channel and Virtual Console), motion sensing, and a massive hardrive.vatterott

Boo hard drive. Flash memory, we only need 512 MB anyway.

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blue_Panda
Member since 2006 • 1293 Posts

27inch widescreen, hd, and 1080p support. under $20 retail, 2 Aanalogs, 4 screens (each 27inch widescreens), all touch screens, motion sensing capabilities, a decent hardrive, foldability, internet capability, Nintendo Shopping channel, multiple colors, and Wii-like graphics, and capability to fold in fourths.

and thats not even the "lite" version

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ECG_24

27inch widescreen, hd, and 1080p support. under $20 retail, 2 Aanalogs, 4 screens (each 27inch widescreens), all touch screens, motion sensing capabilities, a decent hardrive, foldability, internet capability, Nintendo Shopping channel, multiple colors, and Wii-like graphics, and capability to fold in fourths.

and thats not even the "lite" version

Blue_Panda

You're demanding all that but you're ok with Wii-like graphics?

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blue_Panda
^^o sry. i want component cables. ty for reminding me.
ck02623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ck02623
Member since 2003 • 1534 Posts

^^o sry. i want component cables. ty for reminding me.Blue_Panda

HDMI FTW

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

Do you think they'll switch over to CDs, like they did when they went from the N64 to the GC? I mean, I don't think plastic cartridges can go much smaller than they already are... Well, I'm sure they can, but really, people (not just kids) will be misplacing them left and right.

And I think an analog stick is definitely in order. I could care less whether or not they ditched the GBA slot, as I've kept my SP and I'm definitely keeping my DS Lite.

Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blue_Panda
but ill be realistic. stay compact, and theyll sell like hotcackes.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ThePlothole

Do you think they'll switch over to CDs, like they did when they went from the N64 to the GC?.

drummer131

I would personally hope not. Optical drives are serious power hogs. Solid state is still the the most ideal for a handheld IMHO.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="ECG_24"]

[QUOTE="stewpidduh"]how about this?tim_aka_link

seen it, and i think the idea of it is good but realistically, it wouldn't look visually appealing and the pocket size wouldn't actually fit in your pocket. It's too bulky for that.

It needs to lose the Gameboy slot. If people dont' have a DS Lite of GBA by now, they'll never get one. No need for that much space.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 santiagochile

I want it to stay focused on gaming. Sure, it has an internet browser, Nintendo kind of gave into that trend. I simply don't want to see the next Nintendo handheld turn into a multi-media player in hopes of people buying it. No offense to the PSP, but that is what attracted most people I know to even consider buying one, not even for the games. If anything, the sales for the DS and DS Lite should show Nintendo to stick to a pure focused gaming handheld.

I would probably still buy the new handheld if they did make it into one, but only to keep playing the franchises I have loved for years. I would be pretty disappointed, but that is simply me.

myols

I think you are missing the point. In the 21st century people want their gadgets to be useful. I had to buy a media player online for my DS Lite. It costs extra and takes up a lot of space. The next handheld NEEDS to have MP3, pictures, video, and internet, there is no reason not to have it. I think Nintendo has learned, and that's why there is a web browser on the Wii, along with the news and weather channels, and the picture viewer.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="myols"]

santiagochile

I think you are missing the point. In the 21st century people want their gadgets to be useful. I had to buy a media player online for my DS Lite. It costs extra and takes up a lot of space. The next handheld NEEDS to have MP3, pictures, video, and internet, there is no reason not to have it. I think Nintendo has learned, and that's why there is a web browser on the Wii, along with the news and weather channels, and the picture viewer.

Sure there's a reason: Cost. If you want to support format X or format Y, you need to pay royalties. Practically nothing is free.

Besides, you can get all or most of that functionality in a phone, a iPod, and however many other devices now. For most people such features would only be redundant.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 santiagochile
[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="myols"]

ThePlothole

Sure there's a reason: Cost. If you want to support format X or format Y, you need to pay royalties. Practically nothing is free.

Besides, you can get all that functionality in a phone, a iPod, and however many other devices now. For most people such functionality would only be redundant.

I don't think the cost is that much different. You have to remember that technology becomes cheap within months. That is not the issue. The PSP Slim is only $40 more than the DS Lite, and it has all those things. As for carrying around all those items, I only want to carry a game system and a phone. Plus a phone is for calls, so I don't want my phone to have to do everything, because it wastes the battery. I'm sure the next Nintendo handheld will have most if not all of the media functions I described. Plus I wouldn't want an Ipod even if someone gave it to me for free.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="myols"]

santiagochile

Besides, you can get all that functionality in a phone, a iPod, and however many other devices now. For most people such functionality would only be redundant.

I don't think the cost is that much different. You have to remember that technology becomes cheap within months. That is not the issue. The PSP Slim is only $40 more than the DS Lite, and it has all those things. As for carrying around all those items, I only want to carry a game system and a phone. Plus a phone is for calls, so I don't want my phone to have to do everything, because it wastes the battery. I'm sure the next Nintendo handheld will have most if not all of the media functions I described. Plus I wouldn't want an Ipod even if someone gave it to me for free.

You have to remember that Sony owns at least some of the formats supported by the PSP. And also they aren't as concerned with selling the hardware itself at a profit... in fact their systems start off at a loss, which they can absorb because they're a much larger company.
ken8659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ken8659
Member since 2005 • 942 Posts
dont really care DS is all i need
Blue_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blue_Panda
[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="myols"]

ThePlothole

You have to remember that Sony owns at least some of the formats supported by the PSP. And also they aren't as concerned with selling the hardware itself at a profit... in fact their systems start off at a loss, which they can absorb because they're a much larger company.

also, keep in mind the DS has yet to have a price drop... if it wasnt selling so well, id gaurantee itd be somewhere around the $95 mark.

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ECG_24
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="myols"]

Blue_Panda

also, keep in mind the DS has yet to have a price drop... if it wasnt selling so well, id gaurantee itd be somewhere around the $95 mark.

The DS was originally $150.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Someone mentioned the DS having another kind of "Spin-off" like the DS Lite before the "DS2". Thats an actuallity already, nintendo have, according to rumors, finished it, and are awaiting the fall of the DS lite before they launch it. So before the DS2, we're waiting for the DS Lite to stop selling, having another DS launched, and waiting for THAT to stop selling. It'll be a while.

Sorry I didn't quote whoever it was, but there is a HUGE quotefest going on where people are quoting people, who quoted people, who quoted different people, who quoted other people, who quoted OTHER people! And I didn't want that to happen. That said, I've been typing this for more space than a quote would have taken, and still continuing to type. I hate quoting :D
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

Someone mentioned the DS having another kind of "Spin-off" like the DS Lite before the "DS2". Thats an actuallity already, nintendo have, according to rumors, finished it, and are awaiting the fall of the DS lite before they launch it. So before the DS2, we're waiting for the DS Lite to stop selling, having another DS launched, and waiting for THAT to stop selling. It'll be a while.
kamikaze_pigmy

If that's the case, then I think Nintendo should really come out with more first-party games. A second NSMB or a new 3D mario game, or another Zelda game, or another Metroid. Because if it's gonna be another 3-4 years before we see the next Nintendo handheld, we can't just let the third-party people have all the fun all this time (plus imagine all the mediocre slime that will keep appearing on shelves). I certainly wouldn't mind more Mario themed sports games on the DS.

jimbokong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jimbokong
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts
ugh, if it aint broke don't fix it, Nintendo will present us to waste our time and money on when they are good and ready........as usual, deal with it. DS is fine for now
jimbokong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimbokong
ugh, if it aint broke don't fix it, Nintendo will present us with another handheld to waste our time and money on when they are good and ready........as usual, deal with it. DS is fine for now
jimbokong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jimbokong
oops
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#45 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

hmm. graphics equal to psp or a little better. widescreen. TWO ANALOG STICKS for major badass shooting games (come on nintendo, M rating AND voice chat in ALL online matches, is it so much to ask?)

basically a lot more power so the system isn't limiting the online multiplayer communication because right now ds wifi seems so barren. you can't talk to anyone.

oh, no friend codes. just a gamertag-type deal.

music capabilites.

sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts
I'm looking forward to a new model with larger screens and higher resolution.
cafccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 cafccc
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts

hmm. graphics equal to psp or a little better. widescreen. TWO ANALOG STICKS for major badass shooting games (come on nintendo, M rating AND voice chat in ALL online matches, is it so much to ask?)

basically a lot more power so the system isn't limiting the online multiplayer communication because right now ds wifi seems so barren. you can't talk to anyone.

oh, no friend codes. just a gamertag-type deal.

music capabilites.

paullywog

Firstly, you can use the touch screen for shooting games and it works quite fine (metorid prime hunters (though i only ahd athe free demo)). Secondly, why would you want M rated games when you dont really need it, i can understand for a console since thats pratically TV, but this is a handheld, and in my experiences of handhelds M games dont always work out ( excluding GTA VCS and GTALCS) but in the most part they dont. I think personally DS needs an ....

F-ZERO game before moving onto DS2.

And DS2 just needs better graphics, bigger screens and .... actually i dunno, Ds is pratically a great machine right now

nickrodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nickrodude

first off...

the ds lite sucks....

i mean its good, but you drop it once and its gone forever...

between my family weve had 5 ds's and 4 of them are broken because they were dropped and the hinge fell off and eventually they just stopped turning on all together...

and my friend has told me about just opening the ds and the hinge flying off..

and if they make a new one i would like it to keep the gba slot because half the time im playing a gba game

f0rs4k3nx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 f0rs4k3nx7
Personally, tehy should add Picto-Chat to the Wifi Lobby before and after games. That way you can talk to other players about the match earlier or what map to choose or something.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts
i want to see better graphics. same ds idea. three screens. two main ones and a really small one about half the size of the usual that games could use for maps instead of waisting the top or bottom screen for it or use it in pokemon to show your pokemon or somthing...