Should Nintendo scrap the spin-off Mario games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#1 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

I think Nintendo should scrap making all the spin-off Mario games (like Mario Party and Mario Kart) and use the extra time to make more of the proper platform Mario games and more Zelda games.

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
No, I love Mario kart. And I doubt they will get rid of them.
sicteliko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 sicteliko
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
I agree with both of you. While Super Mario Galaxy is better than all the Mario Party games combined, I still love the spin-off games.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Mario Kart and Paper Mario may be spin-offs but that doesn't stop them from being quality games. Mario Party is still a fun party game, and some of the Sports are great.

Also note that with the exception of Mario Kart, none of the spinoffs are developed by the main Nintendo team that makes the Mario platformers, so discontinuing them wouldn't cause any issues with time.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I'm glad that you hate some on Nintendo's best games

I'm also glad they'd never consider your idea in 1000 years

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I actually prefer Mario Kart games over Mario platformers. but I wouldn't be sad if they stopped with Mario Party games.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Nah I don't think so they are all fun!

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

It would be a really bad idea for Nintendo to drop any of the biggest money generating lines, so no

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I dont think they should because then we will rarely see Mario other then his big platformer adventure and Smash Bros and both only come once a system.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
I just think they should make SMG 2 or Zelda TP-2. The only thing that bothers me is we dont see sequels to the big 1st party titles anymore. There was 3 mario games on NES, but only 3 for the last 3 consoles, 64, sunshine, and SMG. I love games like Mario Kart, Strikers, and Brawl. Keep m,aking games Nintendo, just higher more devs and make more games, u got the money.
ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

Mario Kart?

NO!

Mario soccer, tennis, and golf?

NO!

Mario Party?

N...Well if they made a ulitimate game with Online, DLC, and Board support, but personally I don't care

Other Reasons for Kart and Sports: Camelot and Next Level games make good sports games. And Mario Kart is awesome too...

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Mario Kart is set to hit the 10 million sales mark, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics is reaching 6 million, Mario Party 8 is also near 6 million, and Paper Mario is at 2.5 million.

So, should nintendo scrap the spin offs? That's like asking if Nintendo should throw their money into the toilet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts
Hells no, I'm still waiting for Mario party 9.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
They won't as long as they are making money.
dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts
Is Brawl considered a spinoff?
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

If you got just mario games u wouldnt appreciate them. Part of marios longevity is that a new mario title isnt relased every year.

my only problem is he hasnt seen many new sidescrollers since his move to 3D 

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

what is life without mario kart. it's just big, empty shell.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Why would you want Nintendo to hurt themselves?
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Nope they're making way too much money and you have to admit they are quality games. :)
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 widdowson91
I'm not saying they should scrap them because they are rubbish games, because thay are not, but I prefare the proper platform Mario games.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexSays
I'm not saying they should scrap them because they are rubbish games, because thay are not, but I prefare the proper platform Mario games.widdowson91
Oh okay. So you'd like Nintendo to go bankrupt?
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 widdowson91
I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there have been more than 15 spin off games.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 widdowson91
It's not my idea, it's my opinion. The Mario Kart games are rubbish, and as for the Mario Party games, well there not worth mentioning.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlexSays

I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there havore than 15 spin off games.widdowson91

Oh okay. 

So you want Nintendo to release the same games over and over, and expect them to sell as much as wide variety of games.

This thread is just showing how much you must hate Nintendo. 

smg_goty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 smg_goty
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
Is Brawl considered a spinoff?dylanmcc
The Super Smash Bros. games would be considered cross-overs because they contain Mario and non-Mario characters. It is like Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Japan-only Itadaki Street DS (Mario and Dragon Quest characters), and Mario Hoops 3x3 (Mario and generic Final Fantasy characters, even though the latter group had to be unlocked to be playable).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="widdowson91"]I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there havore than 15 spin off games.AlexSays

Oh okay. 

So you want Nintendo to release the same games over and over, and expect them to sell as much as wide variety of games.

You're telling me

Just between the Kart series and the Party series you're talking over 80 million pieces of software

If we throw a price tag of 50 on each we come up with  4,000,000,000 dollars

Now I don't know about you guys, but when I want a company to lose FOUR BILLION DOLLARS?

I say they don't like the company

That's just me though

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts

Heck no.

If all Nintendo ever made was Mario and Zelda, I would get board from lack of variation, and then I'd make my 360 my main platform. I love Mario Kart, Mario Sports, Mario RPG, ect. Sometimes I even end up enjoying them more than the main series Mario games.

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts
Yeah, where the hell is Super Mario RPG for the Wii? Mario Party is dead, but even if you consider profit, Super Mario RPG 2 would probably make more than Mario Party 77.
LK9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 LK9988
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

Why would Nintendo want to scrap the Mario spin-off games? I mean:

1) Although they're not as good as the proper Mario games, they're STILL GOOD!

2) Nintendo probably make more money from the Mario spin-off games than the proper Mario games nowadays, so asking them to stop making Mario spin-offs is like asking them to flush loads of hard-earned cash down the toilet:).

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Sorry TC, it will never happen.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#31 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Mario Party definetly along with Mario Baseball and maybe Mario Strikers as well.

Mario Kart,Mario RPG series,Mario Tennis and Mario Golf no way. Mario Kart is so fun in multiplayer espcially the Wii game with online.

msdrakegx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 msdrakegx
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
I don't see why everyone is hating on widdow. Sure games like mario kart and paper mario are fun but when nintendo is making a game for every sport it gets extremely boring and repetitive. I would also like to see some more of the classic style games and to all the people who are saying that making more classics will kill nintendo is an idiot. Seriously, it's not like they are not making games they are simply cutting out the old ones and making newer, nicer ones. How could they lose money when they are making just as much money? Sometimes a company has to make risks with new ideas and as long as nintendo doesn't it won't make as much money as sony or microsoft.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
No, just no.
ksmitty1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ksmitty1223
Member since 2008 • 88 Posts

[QUOTE="widdowson91"]I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there havore than 15 spin off games.AlexSays

Oh okay. 

hmm and mario party isnt just being rereleased over and over just upping the number?
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AlexSays
[QUOTE="AlexSays"]

[QUOTE="widdowson91"]I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there havore than 15 spin off games.ksmitty1223

Oh okay.

hmm and mario party isnt just being rereleased over and over just upping the number?

Great, you're confused.

He's wanting Nintendo to only release 2 games.

I'm saying that's a terrible idea because nobody wants Nintendo to release the same two games over and over.

People like a wide variety of games, not just 2.

Games like Mario party, Mario sports games, Mario Kart, and Brawl provide that variety.

Get it now? 

ksmitty1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ksmitty1223
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="AlexSays"]

I'm not stupid, I know they sell well, but they never sell as well as the platform Mario games. The first 4 platform Mario games (super mario bros, super mario bros 2, super mario bros 3 and super mario world) sold a combined ammount of 103 million copies, excluding ports and re-releases. If you add up all the sales from the spin off games, it comes to about the same ammount, but there havore than 15 spin off games.widdowson91

Oh okay. 

You're telling me

Just between the Kart series and the Party series you're talking over 80 million pieces of software

If we throw a price tag of 50 on each we come up with  4,000,000,000 dollars

Now I don't know about you guys, but when I want a company to lose FOUR BILLION DOLLARS?

I say they don't like the company

That's just me though

widow is right anyone buying mario party is just desperate for good games and widow isnt saying they should throw away the money he is just saying wii owners would be alot happier with actual solid independent games then spin offs i for one am dissappointed with nintendo im sick of spin offs you dont see microsoft making loads of them do you? no and whether you like it or not xbox 360 kills wii and im not a 360 fan boy i actually dont even own one
ksmitty1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ksmitty1223
yeah i get it i see your logic i'm not always in the mood for an all out adventure
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
No, why should they? They already give plenty of time to make amazing Zelda/Mario games anyway. Mario Party sells too well for them to stop making it. Mario Kart also sells well, and to many, is a great game. Other games include Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Power Tennis, and Mario Baseball. They're all good games that sell well. There's absolutely no reason for Nintendo to stop making them.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

From Nintendo I only like the Mario, SSB, AC, Pokemon, and Pikmin games. So if they got rid of spin-offs that would get rid of all but 1 Mario game, and scence the Pokemon console games suck I dont get them, they only make 1 AC and SSB game a console, and 1 or 2 new Pikmin games I would only have 4-5 games to look forward to each new console from Nintendo.

SO I SAY NO, KEEP THE SPIN-OFFS.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AlexSays
[QUOTE="ksmitty1223"] anyone buying mario party is just desperate for good games

People buying games they like are desperate? I'm not sure you have any idea of what you're talking about.
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
[QUOTE="Erebyssial"]

Mario Kart and Paper Mario may be spin-offs but that doesn't stop them from being quality games. Mario Party is still a fun party game, and some of the Sports are great.

Also note that with the exception of Mario Kart, none of the spinoffs are developed by the main Nintendo team that makes the Mario platformers, so discontinuing them wouldn't cause any issues with time.

I agree with this.
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
Mario Kart should stay, Party could use some work (online would give it a lot of replayability), and Strikers should stay. Everything else (Tennis, Golf, etc.) can go. Fine line: Keep the karts, soccer balls, and board games. Everything else can gtfo.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

I think Nintendo should scrap making all the spin-off Mario games (like Mario Party and Mario Kart) and use the extra time to make more of the proper platform Mario games and more Zelda games.

widdowson91
I kinda doubt that would happen. And I think they should stop making Mario Party games they should still make Mario Kart though.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy

Mario Kart should stay, Party could use some work (online would give it a lot of replayability), and Strikers should stay. Everything else (Tennis, Golf, etc.) can go. Fine line: Keep the karts, soccer balls, and board games. Everything else can gtfo.Andrn

Tennis and Golf should go but SOCCER should stay?

Yes because people really care about soccer.

That's like saying let's take off everything on the menu except this airline sickness bag filled with warm upheaval.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#45 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

[QUOTE="Andrn"]Mario Kart should stay, Party could use some work (online would give it a lot of replayability), and Strikers should stay. Everything else (Tennis, Golf, etc.) can go. Fine line: Keep the karts, soccer balls, and board games. Everything else can gtfo.Jaysonguy

That's like saying let's take off everything on the menu except this airline sickness bag filled with warm upheaval.

I don't like the Mario Strikers games Mario Tennis and Golf are better.
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
no the spinoffs are fun but mario party is kind of getting old they should just release one per system then people would actually apreciate it but 3 per system?
Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
I still love the spin off games and I would like to see them create one that is really unique. I think they're a lot of fun, and Nintendo tends to put a lot more effort and time into titles like Galaxy and Twilight Princess, so I'm happy that we still have quality titles like Mario Tennis and Mario Kart to fill in the gaps, while still getting great doses of fun from the Mario universe.
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts
Most of them are still good. Mario Kart=Awesome Mario Tennis=Awesome Mario Golf=Awesome Mario RPG spin offs= Awesome Everything else is either meh or sucks big time. Although I would love to see a good mario party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

[QUOTE="Andrn"]Mario Kart should stay, Party could use some work (online would give it a lot of replayability), and Strikers should stay. Everything else (Tennis, Golf, etc.) can go. Fine line: Keep the karts, soccer balls, and board games. Everything else can gtfo.Jaysonguy

You're forgetting that stereotypically every single person in Europe loves football (soccer). Also south americans love football, but i'm not sure if nintendo sell there.

FNKYMNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FNKYMNK
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
These days Nintendo milks Mario for all he's worth. My prediction for the next big Nintendo game...Peach Cheerleading, to add to the other 3 cheerleading games on Wii.